• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I guess it did seem derisive. Sorry, [MENTION=16320]Stephano[/MENTION], it was unintentional.

Nevermind.
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] One reason, why I typed myself as a 4 in general is that I'm a really introverted extravert. I have read Jung, so I can safely say I'm an extraverted intuitive. I know that many ENFP 7s also see themselves as more introverted extraverts, but here's why I believe that I'm an ENFP 4w5:

1. Search for identity: The only reason I got into MBTI and enneagram was that I wanted to know who I am. I don't know why but having a connection to my identity satisfies me. I also have a strong connection to things I identify with. In my home I want to be surrounded by things, that mean something and have value to me. Before I buy something like a table for example, I consider what impact its colors, its form will have on the environment. I express my personality with it. I won't buy it, if it is made of Italian Mahagony because it has to symbolize a place I feel connected to, like a birch which needs a lot if water (I like the rain).

2. Romantic vs. Realist: I have an ENFP 7w6 (selftyped) buddy and he is a perfect example of his type. He is cheerful, he is an entertainer and he's also practical. I appear far more reserved and impractical. What I also noticed is that he hates it when the sun isn't shining and it's dark and moody outside. I like that. I always felt kind of attracted to melancholic things (Tim Burton movies, the zone Gilneas in WoW, artists like Lykke Li and Fever Ray). My desktop slideshow mostly has pictures of foggy autumn forests, dark moonlight, etc...

3. 4w3 vs 4w5: I simply type myself as 4w5, because I can relate to 5 and not to 3. I am withdrawn, I am introspective and I am an extravert, so why not?

I already posted the link before, but this article helped me a lot with finding out my type. http://theenneagram.blogspot.co.at/2007/12/new-4w3-vs-7w6-misidentifying.html?m=1

S

Stansmith

While I still have a hard time grasping what exactly it means to be a 4, I think it usually goes deeper than aesthetic-sensibilities, or an interest in individuality or melancholy topics; in fact, the majority of people who claim to value some of these things (particularly individuality or aesthetics) don't really strike me as core 4s. I don't think its a coincidence that the majority of musicians, filmmakers, painters, novelists, etc. are non-4s.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
While E4 is still a hard type for me to grasp, I think it usually goes deeper than aesthetic-sensibilities, interest in identity or an interest in melancholy topics. I think most FPs can relate to the 4 description to a certain extent...

True that. :cheers: Even though I seem obviously 2-fixed to other people I used to think I 4w3 was in my tritype instead.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

While I still have a hard time grasping what exactly a 4 is, I think it usually goes deeper than aesthetic-sensibilities, or an interest in individuality or melancholy topics; in fact, the majority of people who claim to value some of these things (particularly individually or aesthetics) don't really strike me as core 4s.

Yes. I was going to say pretty much this.

S

Stansmith

True that. :cheers: Even though I seem obviously 2-fixed to other people I used to think I 4w3 was in my tritype instead.

Same, although over time it's become clear to me that I'm more of a 3w4-fixer. It's more-or-less in the same ballpark, but it makes a difference.

Cygnus

While I still have a hard time grasping what exactly it means to be a 4, I think it usually goes deeper than aesthetic-sensibilities, or an interest in individuality or melancholy topics; in fact, the majority of people who claim to value some of these things (particularly individually or aesthetics) don't really strike me as core 4s.

I was under the impression that because 2, 3, and 4 were all under the "emotional" third of the Enneagram, they were essentially different versions of the same thing. Ergo if you're emotional and very extroverted you're 2; if ambiverted you're 3; if introverted you're 4.

If 2 you're extreme extrovert and probably Fe-user; if 3 you're mildly to aggressively extroverted but probably more Pe-Fi; and if 4 you're an introvert no matter how many ENFPs identify as 4's.

Keep in mind that I tend to hack things like that into pieces tho, putting them into my own subjective systems that aren't necessarily true.

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=20944]Nihilogen[/MENTION]

Interesting thought...While I don't doubt the existence of ENFP 4s (a lot of the ones here and on PerC seem accurately typed), I can't think of many convincing famous examples, whereas INFJ and IFP 4s are plenty.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
While I still have a hard time grasping what exactly it means to be a 4, I think it usually goes deeper than aesthetic-sensibilities, or an interest in individuality or melancholy topics; in fact, the majority of people who claim to value some of these things (particularly individually or aesthetics) don't really strike me as core 4s. I don't think its a coincidence that the majority of musicians, filmmakers, painters, novelists, etc. are non-4s.

What makes you feel that I'm not a 4. I want your feedback please.
I have just red a (official?) description of type 4 and I thought it fitted me perfectly.

For example:

We have named this type The Individualist because Fours maintain their identity by seeing themselves as fundamentally different from others.

While it is true that Fours often feel different from others, they do not really want to be alone. They may feel socially awkward or self-conscious, but they deeply wish to connect with people who understand them and their feelings. The “romantics” of the Enneagram, they long for someone to come into their lives and appreciate the secret self that they have privately nurtured and hidden from the world.

Fours typically have problems with a negative self-image and chronically low self-esteem. They attempt to compensate for this by cultivating a Fantasy Self—an idealized self-image which is built up primarily in their imaginations. A Four we know shared with us that he spent most of his spare time listening to classical music while fantasizing about being a great concert pianist—à la Vladimir Horowitz. Unfortunately, his commitment to practicing fell far short of his fantasized self-image, and he was often embarrassed when people asked him to play for them. His actual abilities, while not poor, became sources of shame.

That all screams me.

S

Stansmith

What makes you feel that I'm not a 4. I want your feedback please.
I have just red a (official?) description of type 4 and I thought it fitted me perfectly.

For example:
We have named this type The Individualist because Fours maintain their identity by seeing themselves as fundamentally different from others. Fours feel that they are unlike other human beings, and consequently, that no one can understand them or love them adequately. They often see themselves as uniquely talented, possessing special, one-of-a-kind gifts, but also as uniquely disadvantaged or flawed.

While it is true that Fours often feel different from others, they do not really want to be alone. They may feel socially awkward or self-conscious, but they deeply wish to connect with people who understand them and their feelings. The “romantics” of the Enneagram, they long for someone to come into their lives and appreciate the secret self that they have privately nurtured and hidden from the world.

Fours typically have problems with a negative self-image and chronically low self-esteem. They attempt to compensate for this by cultivating a Fantasy Self—an idealized self-image which is built up primarily in their imaginations. A Four we know shared with us that he spent most of his spare time listening to classical music while fantasizing about being a great concert pianist—à la Vladimir Horowitz. Unfortunately, his commitment to practicing fell far short of his fantasized self-image, and he was often embarrassed when people asked him to play for them. His actual abilities, while not poor, became sources of shame.

That all screams me.

I don't really have a strong opinion about your type; after all, you know yourself better than I do. It was just something that I felt the need to clarify about Enneagram 4s.

Cygnus

[MENTION=16320]Stephano[/MENTION] well Alea_iacta_est was able to type me pretty well. He said I seemed like a 7 based on the loosey-goosey style of my posts. Whenever I read one of my posts, I feel that there is something "missing." Certainly not "dry," but so disorganized and minimalistic.

I see I similar "emptiness" in your syntax of posts, so you might be 7, but don't take my noob word for it. Ask an INxJ.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I don't really have a strong opinion about your type; after all, you know yourself better than I do. It was just something that I felt the need to clarify about Enneagram 4s.

Ok, I think I still not know myself enough to say I'm exactly this or that. If you ask me I would rather be a 7 than a 4. It seems a lot easier and their talents are far more useful in today's society. I can understand why people would claim to be 4s. Everyone wants to be special and unique and in fact they are in some amount. There can be so many different traits, that not even 7 billion people are enough to develop all of them.
Some people I have met thought that MBTI or enneagram pigeonholes everyone, but that's not true if you stay at the basics of the theory.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
[MENTION=16320]Stephano[/MENTION] well Alea_iacta_est was able to type me pretty well. He said I seemed like a 7 based on the loosey-goosey style of my posts. Whenever I read one of my posts, I feel that there is something "missing." Certainly not "dry," but so disorganized and minimalistic.

I see I similar "emptiness" in your syntax of posts, so you might be 7, but don't take my noob word for it. Ask an INxJ.

Yes I already thought about that. But the reason is for that is most likely that my native language is German. I still have to learn your language, but it's hopefully getting better, since I can practise here.
I usually have a very complex and also sometimes flowery style when I write a text in German.

Cygnus

Yes I already thought about that. But the reason is for that is most likely that my native language is German. I still have to learn your language, but it's hopefully getting better, since I can practise here.
I usually have a very complex and also sometimes flowery style when I write a text in German.

Yeah, European kids mandated to learn English while kids in America get off scot-free. Indirect act of US imperialism.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Yeah, European kids mandated to learn English while kids in America get off scot-free. Indirect act of US imperialism.

I think it's good that they learn it. I like the idea that all the people over the world can talk to each other in a general language. It would make it easier to find a job in a foreign country and that will be important, if the trend goes on. There are Brits today who emigrate to Nigeria which was a former British colony because they just can't find no job in their home country. It was always in reverse, now the 3rd world countries are getting richer and the 1st world countries poorer.

And you are right about that no one should be forced to learn something, but it would be worse if children wouldn't learn it. And also compared to other languages English is very easy to learn. There is only have one article which would be an improvement for the rest of the European languages.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP

Yes I agree on that. A free schoolsystem would have never been established if there wasn't an economical competition between the industrialized countries. The only reason was to make a gearwheel out of people in the new capitalistic society. We still have that system today.

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] One reason, why I typed myself as a 4 in general is that I'm a really introverted extravert. I have read Jung, so I can safely say I'm an extraverted intuitive. I know that many ENFP 7s also see themselves as more introverted extraverts, but here's why I believe that I'm an ENFP 4w5:

1. Search for identity: The only reason I got into MBTI and enneagram was that I wanted to know who I am. I don't know why but having a connection to my identity satisfies me. I also have a strong connection to things I identify with. In my home I want to be surrounded by things, that mean something and have value to me. Before I buy something like a table for example, I consider what impact its colors, its form will have on the environment. I express my personality with it. I won't buy it, if it is made of Italian Mahagony because it has to symbolize a place I feel connected to, like a birch which needs a lot if water (I like the rain).

2. Romantic vs. Realist: I have an ENFP 7w6 (selftyped) buddy and he is a perfect example of his type. He is cheerful, he is an entertainer and he's also practical. I appear far more reserved and impractical. What I also noticed is that he hates it when the sun isn't shining and it's dark and moody outside. I like that. I always felt kind of attracted to melancholic things (Tim Burton movies, the zone Gilneas in WoW, artists like Lykke Li and Fever Ray). My desktop slideshow mostly has pictures of foggy autumn forests, dark moonlight, etc...

3. 4w3 vs 4w5: I simply type myself as 4w5, because I can relate to 5 and not to 3. I am withdrawn, I am introspective and I am an extravert, so why not?

I already posted the link before, but this article helped me a lot with finding out my type. http://theenneagram.blogspot.co.at/2007/12/new-4w3-vs-7w6-misidentifying.html?m=1

Well, if you actually read Jung...then it's not merely 4w5 I take issue with... This new information certainly calls ENFP into question as well :wink:.

e7 is so misunderstood. It's all them happy-assed social doms w/their 2 fixes (totally kidding Chanaynay) and the I-can't-stop-myself-from-being-inhumanly-charming ExTPs that ruin 7 for us. And those for-shit descriptions... I swear, if I have to read the name 'Robbin Williams' one more time someone's getting an angry letter from me that they won't be able to understand.

NFPs feel. That's what we do. We feel and we feel with great intensity. Everything's big...big love, big sadness, big joy, big hatred. I mean, I remember a conversation I had with a 5w4...where this individual expressed to me that they knew they were feeling something about something...but just couldn't figure out what that was. And I was like WTF? My feelings are like freakin entities in the same room with me.

I think it's gravely misinformed to think of e7s as only wanting to avoid pain. 'Pain' should be replaced with 'intensity of feeling' as I know many 7s that will deny/minimize their joy as well...it is just a bit more difficult to tell in such instances due to, again, how intensely we actually feel (our joy is most often welcomed by others...but I doubt we received a lot of positive reinforcement in our formative years when we unleashed our intensity of anger or sadness.) The more extroverted among us...those who's feelings are more likely to spill-out for others to see...Yes, I think these guys had to take a more hard-lined approach. Happiness = good; Pain = bad. The more introverted 7 though... now, we can entertain a little more feeling as it is a little easier for us to keep it hidden. We have the luxury of enjoying all those emo-NFP things like...watching and even discussing afterwards Hotel Rwanda for example, relating to wood, writing poetry while drunk that someone could use as blackmail against you... But Ne dominance is Ne dominance. We aren't avoiding 'intensity of feeling' because we fear feeling... we avoid it because it blocks access to what we really fear (not having access to.)

What do you fear Stephano? Aside from 'the basics' that all humans fear...what would be the worst thing to have happen in your world?

Introverted 7s reject e7 because they believe they are far more deep and intellectual and comfortable with pain (unlike those 'superficial 7s'.) When you start to look more closely into it however, you start to see that the more introverted 7 is merely entertaining 'safe pains.' Heartache is generally the most popular 'safe pain'...or scratching the surface of authentic pain...by coming through the back-door (through art and an awareness of the human condition.)

*whoops I forgot to say...I could out 'romantic' and 'impractical' you any day. That is my promise to you.

Alea_iacta_est

I was under the impression that because 2, 3, and 4 were all under the "emotional" third of the Enneagram, they were essentially different versions of the same thing. Ergo if you're emotional and very extroverted you're 2; if ambiverted you're 3; if introverted you're 4.

If 2 you're extreme extrovert and probably Fe-user; if 3 you're mildly to aggressively extroverted but probably more Pe-Fi; and if 4 you're an introvert no matter how many ENFPs identify as 4's.

Keep in mind that I tend to hack things like that into pieces tho, putting them into my own subjective systems that aren't necessarily true.

The heart triad is not the emotional third of the enneagram, it is the part of the enneagram motivated by shame.

Type 2s do not always have to be emotional, though the stereotype suggests it. Usually they are extremely prideful in their generosity and kindness to others, often offering as much help as possible but at the same time rejecting any foreign help. "I'm not the one with the problems, you are."

Type 3s often suppress their emotions easily and readily, preferring to focus on the task at hand rather than disseminate pointless emotions. They are motivated by shame to achieve so that they won't be looked down upon.

Type 4 is the only one that actually fits the emotional status of the heart triad, as 4s plunge themselves into their own emotions to figure out who they are so that they can find their identity and reach self-actualization.

By the way, ENxP 4s exist and they are very interesting people, ENxP is generally considered the most introverted extrovert.

Though the ENTP 4 is considered the rarest combination with 4 in it.

[Relating to ENxP type 4s]
Extroverted Intuition Types (ENTP and ENFP)
Extroverted Intuition is essentially the opposite of Extroverted Sensing: instead of focusing on present information, Extroverted Intuition brainstorms a myriad number of possibilities that may or may not be true.

Young ENxP Fours have a tendency to put on different guises, trying on each new identity in order to find their own. When they grow older and more mature, they still retain that flexibility although their identity has now coalesced into something solid. ENxP Fours are very likely to be described as flippant.

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

It might also be notable to point out that self-preservation 7s are counter-gluttony (much like the sexual 6s counterphobia), meaning that they value stoicism and self-control over absorbing experiences. Sp 7s have a stronger connection to their integration point, 5.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
e7 is so misunderstood. It's all them happy-assed social doms w/their 2 fixes (totally kidding Chanaynay)

As long as I don't contribute to the misunderstanding I'm good.
icon_local_aimkissyface.gif
I probably seem too SFP to cause confusion anyway.