• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Mole

Permabanned
I totally respect that, but that's the point of the forum, so I'm just wondering what he's doing in this environment if he isn't interested in being typed or in typology.

I am regularly asked to justify my existence on Central, so I just tell the truth which is that I was invited here by Geoff who told me this is a tolerant and well run forum, and it is. So I was surprised to discover that Typology Central was once called MBTI Central. And then I was even more surprised by what I discovered about Carl Jung, the father of mbti, and his plaigarists, Mrs Catherine Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Isabel Myers.

So I stay because this is a tolerant and well run site that allows me to think critically about Carl Jung and mbti.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I am regularly asked to justify my existence on Central, so I just tell the truth which is that I was invited here by Geoff who told me this is a tolerant and well run forum, and it is. So I was surprised to discover that Typology Centeral was once called MBTI Central. And then I was even more surprised by what I discovered about Carl Jung, the father of mbti, and his plaigarists, Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers.

So I stay because this is a tolerant and well run site that allows me to think critically about Carl Jung and mbti.

Fair enough. It is a pretty good forum.

Mole

Permabanned
Well fyi, he didn't really choose. He got called out and he's defending himself.

Though, if I were him I'd just post something like 'my type is not up for discussion. Please respect that.' and then I'd ignore the thread entirely.

I really do believe in freedom of speech so I am delighted if I am typed as long as I am free to think critically about typing.

It does appear though that the joy of critical thinking is an acquired taste.

But freedom of speech means nothing unless we are free to offend.

And we are free to offend here through critical thinking, which means criticising ideas but not persons.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But freedom of speech means nothing unless we are free to offend.

The motto of one of my favorite French newspapers is "La liberté de parole ne s'use que si l'on ne s'en sert pas".

And it could be roughly translated as follow: "Freedom of speech does only wear off if you do not use it".

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its a bit strange really, for a while I figured he was a dedicated believer in the meme theory, to the point were he was more concerned about generating the meme or circulating it than in any actual communication with others, maybe not, I dont know.

I know he's always saying people avoid intimacy or something, or that they avoid him as a person, but he's the one that keeps making these posts that are meme-like, passive-aggressively hostile, accusatory...it's like...um, ok.

However, I do think that what may bother him about the forum is the "lightness" of it, the banter and the debating, but it's a forum...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol, well, I didn't mean to create such a stir.

Vetani said:
Well fyi, he didn't really choose. He got called out and he's defending himself.

Not called out, no, just hypothesized on. There's nothing to defend, really. Just ideas floating in the mist.

By typing me, you avoid me as a person.

By typing me, you sell me short, and make me less than a person.

I can understand you might feel overwhelmed by me and so wish to reduce me to a type so you can handle me.

What makes a person? Can you ever fully comprehend, much less communicate, all the complexities and intricacies and depths and whorls that create a human soul? I admit that I can only try.

Right now, Victor, I don't think of you in terms of type, nor will I probably ever, but it's interesting to speculate on. Much the way our minds tend to create a hair color for a character in a book whose hair color has never been described. Much the way I cannot link numbers and scents, but synaesthetes can. It's interesting to speculate what a 5 would smell like. Apples, maybe. Macintosh. Maybe type is even a subjective reality, a little different to each person. Maybe your INFP is my ENFP. In the end, all that will remain is that I tried to understand you, tried to extend myself and my world to include you. I apologize if I offended you by trying to type you, because that wasn't my intention.

I use the MBTI and the Enneagram as personality tools to understand people, much like I use English and French as language tools to understand communication, though I will never grasp everything that is attempted to be said. It is implicit that type, like any tool, is best-fit, imperfect, useless in some situations, and merely a stepping stool in all others. You could make the same logical arguments about identifying you as a brunette or a blond - am I reducing you? Of course. One can never properly encompass all that is a person. By typing you, I seek to begin to understand you as a person. It's a mark of respect and an indication that I care enough to try to define you in as many ways as possible. Of course none is the be-all, end-all.

By asking your opinion, I directly engage you as an equal and invite you to create your own personhood to me. If you dislike typological descriptions of yourself, why not explain why you don't feel well-described by type? What details doesn't it flesh out properly? I'm not particularly upset if you don't like typology, nor do I necessarily need a typological interpretation of yourself to frame you in, but I feel like if you're going to be a member of a typological community, it would be both sensible and kind to be understanding when someone seeks to define you through type. Perhaps you could teach us all something.

The way you write your posts, in almost poetic, sing-song format, is a distancer to begin with - most people are more straightforward. I enjoy the originality of it, but I find it amusing that you suggest that I am trying to avoid you, when you avoid typical communication. How many people take the time to ask you about yourself, Victor? I wonder about you, wonder about who you are, wonder about why you say what you say and why you phrase it as you do. You're interesting.

Regardless, at the end of the day, I'm going to make my own opinion of you. I invite and welcome you to collaborate with me in creating my understanding of you, type or no type. I would love to hear about your self-description, your background, your story, type or no type. But if you don't choose to share, my world will keep on spinning, and I'll keep dancing along with it, including creating as much of my own definition of you as I need to keep your star anchored in my heavens - type or no type.

Vetani said:
Usually that doesn't happen from what I've seen... they're more likely to use your type as an anchor and then depending on their attitude of the said type, they adjust their behavior accordingly.

I'm with @Victor on this one. I'd rather people read me through my posts and not some mumbo jumbo of letters and numbers.

Well, me too, of course. I think we all would prefer that, but the mumbo-jumbo can be as useful as understanding how old you are, or what country you're from, or what your childhood was like. All of that background information "orients" us in time and space. And since we're on a board dedicated to that specific information, I can't really understand why a forum member would hold it against anyone who asks that information of them. Like you said, they could just say, "I would prefer not to be analyzed in that way", and encourage everyone to move on.

I feel like there's a learning curve, where you have to sort of overattach to the theory for a while before you "grow beyond" it. Many of the oldbies here have grown beyond it... they like to speculate type for fun, but ultimately they recognize it just as another imperfect descriptor. Some people are still in the learning phase where EVERYTHING must be typed and rigidly understood by type, and some will never progress beyond that. I see religion and politics much the same way, but that's a discussion for another time.

I wish theory of theory were a taught subject, so that people would understand what theory's about. It's just an attempt to transcend the limitations of our finite minds in a world of infinite information. No definites, no boundaries, no accusations. Just ideas floating in the mist.

Mole

Permabanned
I wish theory of theory were a taught subject.

I am trying to make our environment visible.

Why is this?

It is because our current environment is invisible, and being invisible it is taken for granted.

Another way to put it is our current context is invisible and so taken for granted.

The way to see our current environment is through ecstasy which is stepping outside the taken for granted.

It gets more interesting then for we discover that the content of our current environment is our previous environment. For instance, the content of the environment of books is manuscripts, just as the content of movies is theatre.

But what about 'The Environment'? Well, when we stepped outside our taken for granted Earth and went to the Moon, we turned the camera around and discovered 'The Environment'.

Ironically of course 'The Environment' is no longer our current environment, it is merely the content of our electric environment.

So would you prefer the taken for granted, or would you like to step outside the taken for granted into ecstasy.

Let me take you to the Moon.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am trying to make our environment visible.

Why is this?

It is because our current environment is invisible, and being invisible it is taken for granted.

Another way to put it is our current context is invisible and so taken for granted.

Our current context is inescapable.

Mole

Permabanned
Our current context is inescapable.

I hadn't finished yet. Please see below.

And our current context is only invisible rather than inescapable. And we escape through ecstasy.

Gosh, even popular culture knows this and tries vainly to escape through a phoney ekstasy pill.

Mole

Permabanned
The Unbearable Lightness

However, I do think that what may bother him about the forum is the "lightness" of it, the banter and the debating, but it's a forum...

It's the unbearable lightness of being perfectly illustrated on our electric forum. We are merely connected by electrons which are so light we can't feel or see them. We are connected by the unbearable lightness of electrons, and even the unbearable lightness of light.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's the unbearable lightness of being perfectly illustrated on our electric forum. We are merely connected by electrons which are so light we can't feel or see them. We are connected by the unbearable lightness of electrons, and even the unbearable lightness of light.

You still dance around the question.

Dance, then, in ecstasy. :]

whirling_dervishes.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

A place filled with banter is probably difficult for someone who likes to communicate in poetry and epic speeches of doom.

The banter is what I love, though. The good-natured camaraderie that only becomes more exciting during debates. (This is why [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is saying I interact like a Beta...but I think I'm actually more confrontational like Gamma).

You definitely interact like a Delta. All seriousness and gentleness.

Mole

Permabanned
You still dance around the question.

Dance, then, in ecstasy. :]

Well, dear Skylights, you are extroverted and I am introverted. At worst we have a power struggle, or at best we make up for what the other lacks.

So what I lack is an opportunity for you; and my opportunity is to deeply understand where you miss, and with the utmost delicacy, step up.

Mole

Permabanned
A place filled with banter is probably difficult for someone who likes to communicate in poetry and epic speeches of doom.

I am grateful for the banter because it provides the perfect backdrop for poetry and epic speeches of doom, just as the grey walls of our National Gallery are the perfect backdrop for our paintings.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am grateful for the banter because it provides the perfect backdrop for poetry and epic speeches of doom, just as the grey walls of our National Gallery are the perfect backdrop for our paintings.

I noticed that self-congratulatory addition, there Victor. Just know that I noticed. And I'm keeping the original quote. It's not enough that I quoted you, oh no, you had to congratulate yourself some more.

Nothing we say is important, everything you say is. :dry:

Mole

Permabanned
I noticed that self-congratulatory addition, there Victor. Just know that I noticed. And I'm keeping the original quote. It's not enough that I quoted you, oh no, you had to congratulate yourself some more.

Nothing we say is important, everything you say is. :dry:

Oh my Marmot, dry your eyes, you are important. Look, I've been telling people today in Canberra that you quoted me.

Is she really a marmot, they say. Yes, I say, an inner marmot, and all the nicer for that.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After having read more of greenfairy's posts, I'm fairly certain she's an xSFJ, most likely ISFJ, 9w1.