• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
also, what kind of tests are you people taking? are the sensor and feeler answers really that bad that everyone tests as an INTP?

KDude

I totally agree, BRMC128YE2, whatever its name is, is awesome. :wub:

I think it's a dude, I saw pics and it was a dude, but I thought I read somewhere that s/he had a boyfriend, so maybe it's a girl, or better yet, maybe he is a gay firefighter... :wub:

Heh.. I didn't remember his name.. thanks for reminding me.

Props to BRMC

I get kinda baffled by those who come here and who DON'T identify with their "type" :confused:

Understandably, there is much variability among each type, but still.

I identify more or less with some descriptions..

ISFP Profile

Not so much the stereotypes tho. I think some people need to get a clue on ISFPs.

That all said, my test results are usually ISFP, ISTP, or ESFP. It seems to me like some tests at least cover Fi well enough

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I want those who believe the ENPs who frequent this site, who are, in fact, to them ESPs to explain their thoughts/rationalizations.

Unless someone is uncertain of their type, and they ask for help, I really have a disdain for those who view themselves as typology experts criticizing other people's types.

If you are self-aware enough, and you take the test, you will come out as a type that, according to the parameters, and according to how well you identify with it, will be your MBTI type.

I think it is presumptuous and PUSSY to exclaim that "many self-proclaimed" EPs on this site are Ss instead of Ns, and yes, BlackCat, I am talking to you.

I don't doubt my type, and neither do most people on this site, but I am sticking up for my EP brethren who you basically told and implied don't know themselves, and are lying to themselves and to us by claiming to be something they are not.

I realize when you first joined you were an INFP and then you switched to ISFP, perhaps you are close on the S/N dichotomy, but don't project your own confusion on others.

Many of us ENPs find solace here, a place where we can be accepted and understood for the weirdos we are.

So, please, oh wise one.

Tell us which ENPs, are in fact ESPs.

I'm sure they'd love to hear your "insights".

-SS

It would be really nice if some people in this forum would stop using type to club others over the head, like a weapon.
^^Absolutely agreed. I like what Kelric, Rebe and Orangey said too!

I don't claim to know a person more than they know themselves, not especially through a medium called the "internet." I come here to post about my thoughts and feelings that I don't share with many people in my own life.

To have that 'one' 'aspect' judged without knowing me personally? I find rather odd.

Even people who are certified to give out MBTI tests/therapists (who go through grad school or get their doctorates) don't 'tell' their clients or students what personality types they are for ethical concerns. Even if it's the MMPI. There are guidelines to follow for reasons that relate to 'abuse' of professional position.

SS- I found out my results at 21 too. I had no clue about what the MBTI system was. Just answered accordingly. When my results came out and my career counselor went over the 8 functions with me? I felt a sense of relief. I also ran into personality page, and it resonated with me pretty well! Finally made total sense.

Anyway- one of the reasons why I get turned off in general is when I feel I'm getting "Dr. Phil'd" about who I am without even knowing me IRL. GMAFB:laugh:

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, this. :yes:. I mean, I don't have any issue with anyone putting forth their opinion when asked, especially when it's lighthearted and fun, but the whole "you're obviously not an XXXX" thing is just ridiculous. Especially when the only available information upon which to make such a proposition is a few internet posts. I mean, really? I won't pretend to have any ability to classify others in such a way and fully admit that others can do so better than I... but not to make a definitive and unimpeachable decision on the basis of internet posts alone. Especially when loaded (as it always seems to be) with "I'm better than you" connotations.

hmm, saying the same thing as everyone else in the exact same way, as if it is something new...FJ :D
Frankly, I think the tests stink.
To even think Fi types can be tested with Fe questions, or Se types with Ne questions, is nothing short of absurd.
People really need to take a closer look.

Give my best to Z, SS.
IMO, concluding that normally-distributed personality traits belie a system of 'cognitive functions' is far more absurd than any theory taking that as an axiom.

@all these anti-typenazis: Why does it bother you so much?

I can understand the problem with using type as an 'ad hominem' argument - it's the same with using any other 'ad hominem' argument - but even then, people find MBTI as a way of understanding why other people think differently from them; after finding that people of the same type tend to think a lot more similarly about stuff, it's disconcerting to see someone thinking differently using supposedly the same function. Being a different type makes it much easier to 'agree to disagree'; it's the path of least resistance.

The same thing but from another angle - if someone posts a bunch of personal stuff/answers a bunch of questions in a way that clearly (by your judgement) goes against their archetype, without making some concession like "this is terribly J of me, but..", it shows that they might consider themselves the wrong type. This could be because they don't understand themselves as well as you, or because they don't understand MBTI theory as well as you, or some combination, or maybe they are just trolling. It's the T way to let people know about things that might be wrong or incompatible...

This is especially important since MBTI is supposed to be a tool for self-discovery, and thus if a person 'discovers' some other self than their true self, they don't stand to gain as much from it. SillySapienne at least made note of this.

*shrug*

As for me, people tell me I'm ENTP a fair bit. Yes, I ~act like it~ (by whatever patterns people intuit) on the internet. Yes, by Jung's definition (and thus under socionics) I'm an extrovert (focus on the external world.) But by MBTI's and common psychology's definition, I'm an introvert because I'm shy and nervous and prefer alone time over party time.

If anyone has any other insights to offer, I'm totally open to them.... just don't talk to me about 'functions'.

Little_Sticks

The longer the type game is played, the less obvious the rules. And eventually, one realizes what they conclude about people is truly only simply their own interpretation of predicting the future. Thus anyone who claims to know with certainty and especially 'aggressive certainty' becomes most suspicious. A good psychological type argument is just a 'good suggestion of the future', nothing more. A bad psychological type argument is just a 'bad suggestion of the future'. But either suggestion has the possibility of occurring, regardless of how chance is calculated.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
SS- I found out my results at 21 too. I had no clue about what the MBTI system was. Just answered accordingly. When my results came out and my career counselor went over the 8 functions with me? I felt a sense of relief. I also ran into personality page, and it resonated with me pretty well! Finally made total sense.

I took an MBTi at school, but I don't know what my result was. I'm assuming it was ENFP though because I remember thinking "acting and architecture my ass, I'm going to be an engineer!". Now I'm wondering why I'm in the wrong job area :laugh:.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I can understand the problem with using type as an 'ad hominem' argument - it's the same with using any other 'ad hominem' argument - but even then, people find MBTI as a way of understanding why other people think differently from them; after finding that people of the same type tend to think a lot more similarly about stuff, it's disconcerting to see someone thinking differently using supposedly the same function. Being a different type makes it much easier to 'agree to disagree'; it's the path of least resistance.

The same thing but from another angle - if someone posts a bunch of personal stuff/answers a bunch of questions in a way that clearly (by your judgement) goes against their archetype, without making some concession like "this is terribly J of me, but..", it shows that they might consider themselves the wrong type. This could be because they don't understand themselves as well as you, or because they don't understand MBTI theory as well as you, or some combination, or maybe they are just trolling. It's the T way to let people know about things that might be wrong or incompatible...

This is especially important since MBTI is supposed to be a tool for self-discovery, and thus if a person 'discovers' some other self than their true self, they don't stand to gain as much from it.
Everything you posted here might be true, but if someone doesn't want to be constantly beat over the head with "you are mistyped" then it doesn't matter. It isn't your job to make sure they know their real type and it is entirely up to them to decide if you are being obnoxious or not when you try to enlighten them. I'm not even sure there is a "why" it bothers them beyond it is just rude and annoying.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OK someone do ME.

Right now I'm listed as ENTP, but I could be:

ENFP
ESTP
ENTJ (unlikely)

I know I'm an E, and the P is likely.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Everything you posted here might be true, but if someone doesn't want to be constantly beat over the head with "you are mistyped" then it doesn't matter. It isn't your job to make sure they know their real type and it is entirely up to them to decide if you are being obnoxious or not when you try to enlighten them. I'm not even sure there is a "why" it bothers them beyond it is just rude and annoying.
Ok smartass why is it rude and annoying?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's a difference between asking a person why they think they ARE their type and accusing them of not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground... and some people tend to do the later in this thread as opposed to the former :laugh:

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
There's a difference between asking a person why they think they ARE their type and accusing them of not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground... and some people tend to do the later in this thread as opposed to the former :laugh:
Simply asking doesn't allow you to gauge their certainty, though, so you still won't know how they'll respond to your opinion without offering it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
there's a difference between telling someone that they are wrong that some have (and then arguing for page after page after page with the person in question about why they aren't their type) and merely asking :yes:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9

This is not one of those issues that really benefits from lengthy analysis, because ths issue is quite simply this. In making alternative suggestions for someone's type you are either going to come across as:

1) Being helpful by sharing your own experiences and knowledge in order to help them understand themselves better.

or

2) Engaging in psychological one-upmanship by implying that you know them better than they know themselves.

It's possible that position 1 may be misinterpreted as position 2, but that can usually be cleared up if the debate continues and the person making the type suggestion treats the debate and the person they are discussing it with in a respectful way. If they do not do so, it is reasonable to infer from their very lack of respect that they are indeed coming from position 2.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ok smartass why is it rude and annoying?
Continually doing something to someone else that is against their wishes is, at best, rude. This is just how things work. If there is a "why," I am not capable of articulating it.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
there's a difference between telling someone that they are wrong that some have (and then arguing for page after page after page with the person in question about why they aren't their type) and merely asking :yes:
I thought I covered this with the "beat over the head" portion of my "smart ass" post...

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
This is not one of those issues that really benefits from lengthy analysis, because ths issue is quite simply this. In making alternative suggestions for someone's type you are either going to come across as:

1) Being helpful by sharing your own experiences and knowledge in order to help them understand themselves better.

or

2) Engaging in psychological one-upmanship by implying that you know them better than they know themselves.

It's possible that position 1 may be misinterpreted as position 2, but that can usually be cleared up if the debate continues and the person making the type suggestion treats the debate and the person they are discussing it with in a respectful way. If they do not do so, it is reasonable to infer from their very lack of respect that they are indeed coming from position 2.
In theory, yes.

However, my experience is that most people treat everything as type 2 and any further analysis only cements that assumption.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
ok... I don't see how that is different from what you said before :huh:

Continually doing something to someone else that is against their wishes is, at best, rude. This is just how things work. If there is a "why," I am not capable of articulating it.
ok, but there is a difference between 'I don't want to talk about this anymore, so please stop asking' and pages and pages of 'I TOTALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD EVER QUESTION ANYONE'S TYPE AND PEOPLE WHO DO THAT OR WOULD WANT TO DO THAT ARE IDIOTS AND I HATE THEM'

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
In theory, yes.

However, my experience is that most people treat everything as type 2 and any further analysis only cements that assumption.

So, and think carefully about this; whose problem would that end up being? The analyst's, or the analysand's?