User Tag List

First 271671721761769770771772773 Last

Results 7,701 to 7,710 of 7737

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Well, maybe I am quite a crazy guy, I had come from sciences related to math area, and althought a lot of people which I studied with would get sick with @Cellmold and @Legion discussion, I quite enjoy this philosophical discussion, this is the second topic which it happens and I am a happy reader on these off-topics. I quite appreciatte the tolerance for MODs for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    I think you're right about the future of typology, but my position is that this would be a result of accepting more and more nebulous and unscientific ideas into the realm of the soft sciences, which has been an ongoing trend for a while now. Though empiricism has its limitations and flaws, it is still probably the best method for helping to develop out and determine ideas, even for less hard science areas. My issue with type is that all the data seems to rely upon a set of assumptions, such as people of a certain job testing as certain types more frequently, but the problem is that descriptions of those types and their cognitive functions are conveniently set up to match the kinds of mentalities that one would have to adopt in order to perform certain tasks and jobs. And people can be more adaptable than we give credit for, not to mention a lack of self-awareness leading to incorrect assumptions about your own nature.

This leads into expanding on what you asked about. So what I mean is (probably disappointingly) simple. The abstract ideals a person might hold, like not harming others, not being underhanded, lying or manipulative, treating others with dignity, respect, fairness and equality, not letting your worst emotions and excesses get the better of you etc.... and then the higher ideals for the benefit of human beings in general, which tend to arise out of those personal virtues, well I've come to understand through exposure that they often don't always hold up in the face of the actual world in which we have to live.

This is not to say one should abandon virtue or higher ideals, but that they are very easy to corrupt and the most rigid ones do not survive contact with certain situations. For example, sometimes you find yourself moved to a violence you might abhor due to the circumstances you find yourself in.

And in general I find people are more given to abandoning those ideals than holding onto them and it seems very easy, on average, to discard them when necessary. Picture the nightmare scenario of having to save either yourself or someone else, now imagine that this came about because of a sudden and terrifying event, whether man-made or natural, it doesn't matter. If you've ever seen people trying to get away from something and trampling each other to do so, it's hard to imagine turning back the tide with good words and intentions.

I'm not saying that we are inherently evil or good, just that we are extremely flawed and a lot of the ideals people hold are untested against that flawed nature and would have to either adapt or break under certain circumstances. Another problem is that intelligence is not always a barrier against cruel acts, character matters as much, if not more.

From a neurological point of view our frontal lobes play an important part in determining, and actually inhibiting, the other more primitive areas of the brain which give rise to these cruel and often desperate acts, from areas like the amygdala that, under duress, can suddenly consume the more reasonable functioning areas of the brain with fight or flight responses. Hence why it's called an amygdala hijack.

And we have the power of denial, which is incredibly strong in human beings and I think that allows us to build civilisations while having large swathes of the population who can barely function in a civil manner. But most survive through denial, by avoiding situations that would challenge any ideas of civility and notions of virtue, by putting our faith in systems that rely on bureaucracy and precedence, which are lumbering and slow to act and even slower to resolve.

We exist in a flawed relationship with ourselves and that needs to be taken into account when considering virtues, ideals, ethics and morality. And maybe the endless struggle is to fight with those cruel parts of our nature, perhaps never knowing any peace from it.
    I know Im going to be a little bit shallow here, but I think that you always expect people who try to be good, virtuous and idealists are trying to be perfect people, like there is a chained link between being perfect and being good, virtuous, idealistic, which is not actually realistic (ok, maybe the entire discussion isnt much realistic at all but I think you get the point). Being good or virtuous or idealistic is not really about being perfect, so, even in the Jesus example you were most talking about perfection than being good.

In this good/evil discussion, there is always an expectancy of good to be perfect and evil to be flawed, but the flawed and perfection, in most terms, arent related to this. Someone that does quite a perfect work can be evil, and someone who does a poor work, has his own struggles, difficulties, can be a good person either. It is realistic to expect a good, virtuous person or whatver, has his own flaws, her own weakness, and etc..

I am so/sp and not so/sx .
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Once upon a time!! I thought I was!! A heavily, heavily looping I-FJ, once, upon! A TIME,

EDIT: Once upon an even funnier time, I thought, I was! A, sp/sx,
    S K Y K I N G
    It is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, above the clouds.
    Its existence had been completely unknown because it lived so high in the sky.

Senior Member batteries included's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm an Fe dom irl and just try to hide it.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I feel like what makes 4 such a weird typing to me is that I am so insensitive and that I do not care about or even consider my image at all, I only care about what I am not what I seem to be. Though it's not as if I'm not aware that most people who think this is my type are applying it superficially paint by numbers style.

Convince me I’m not a 9 sp/sx IxxP

Amethyst's Queen ♚ Bismuth Blitz's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    964 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Si

When I first joined this site, everyone seemed to agree with INFP. Nowadays I'm getting a lot of ISFJ typings(like on Discord and a couple on here). Do you guys think I seem more ISFJ or INFP? I feel like I have a good grasp on Si, but it could be cause of it being my relief function. My man says I show lots of Si but that I seem more Fi than Fe.
    "Now let's all agree, to never be creative again..."

Paws off my Amethyst!!

Aries Sun/Aquarius Moon/Leo Rising/Phleg-Mel

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Convince me I'm not a 9 sp/sx IxxP
    You seem to share my turbulence and especially so with regards to being though it's more of an undercurrent with you than it is with me for reasons I understand but can't put to words. Sp 9's have less motion going on, they seem more capable of existing in elegant simplicity. Only sexual 9's appear to be able to think about being enough to bring out turbulence and more motion. We are perceptive to the ways in which we are not being when we take on narratives via the classic e9 desire to short cut into having a personality by forming identity attachments when we're not at our best.
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lazarus View Post
    I feel like what makes 4 such a weird typing to me is that I am so insensitive and that I do not care about or even consider my image at all, I only care about what I am not what I seem to be. Though it's not as if I'm not aware that most people who think this is my type are applying it superficially paint by numbers style.
    You don't look elsewhere to things you do not possess in order to "find yourself".
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes Lady Lazarus liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    You don't look elsewhere to things you do not possess in order to "find yourself".
    I feel as if I have developed such a "self-rebellious" style of going about these things that it's not evident at this point that I do by nature. My other account from when I was younger and less strategic, does a far better job of making this more overt, imo. I had to learn to force myself to look as much inward as I could for authority on myself, it's not natural but it was necessary in order to retain control over myself. I am still not perfectly exempt from the external and I saw this recently as a person who is no longer at the higher levels of health. When I compare not looking elsewhere in my deliberate thinking and doing so in my more instinctive actions to ask the external for guidance, I see the former as more conscious and primarily about gaining control over the latter.

Of course, you're obviously one of the two people I take a 4 typing seriously from and I do actually have trouble reconciling this aspect perfectly, it's very not painting by numbers.