• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aren't Ni-valuing types prone to this sort of internal dialogue and second-guessing? I wouldn't consider this a bad thing, you're being open-minded and constantly questioning supposed truths versus people who stubbornly stick to one perspective.
I've heard both opposites about Ni - that it is especially focused on a distilled, opinionated perspective, and that it is open-minded considering different perspectives. There are a lot of Ni-doms who do have a lot of ego-strength in their opinions when debating, so it's not clear to me that strong use of Ni correlates with constantly second-guessing oneself or having a clarity of vision and certitude in that final perspective.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard both opposites about Ni - that it is especially focused on a distilled, opinionated perspective, and that it is open-minded considering different perspectives. There are a lot of Ni-doms who do have a lot of ego-strength in their opinions when debating, so it's not clear to me that strong use of Ni correlates with constantly second-guessing oneself or having a clarity of vision and certitude in that final perspective.

I've always viewed dom-Ni's as going one of two ways -- either crazily steadfast in the truth of their vision and beliefs, or, well, more balanced. I have always thought it was a difference of utter reliance on the dominant and ignoring of almost all else, vs NOT believing in the dominant automatically. Basically I guess what you said -- how strong is ones' ego tied to a particular mental process/personality trait. I think you and I have discussed this before, too, but I almost feel like Strength Of Ego could be its own personality factor. Is someone super differentiated? Or does someone define themselves by maybe one and only one trait? I think it makes that much of a difference. (and it should probably be said that a weak Ego has its own drawbacks / negatives -- so it's not like one way or the other is like the Best Way Ever --- we all probably just find one or the other more annoying).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always viewed dom-Ni's as going one of two ways -- either crazily steadfast in the truth of their vision and beliefs, or, well, more balanced. I have always thought it was a difference of utter reliance on the dominant and ignoring of almost all else, vs NOT believing in the dominant automatically. Basically I guess what you said -- how strong is ones' ego tied to a particular mental process/personality trait. I think you and I have discussed this before, too, but I almost feel like Strength Of Ego could be its own personality factor. Is someone super differentiated? Or does someone define themselves by maybe one and only one trait? I think it makes that much of a difference. (and it should probably be said that a weak Ego has its own drawbacks / negatives -- so it's not like one way or the other is like the Best Way Ever --- we all probably just find one or the other more annoying).
I do remember discussing ego-strength as a separate dimension to personality that could transform any of the 16 types in a fundamental way. From what I understand, the introverted functions are distilling and the extroverted functions are expanding. I think second-guessing comes from an emotional dynamic a person has that may not be accounted for in the functions. However, if one wanted to apply it to the functions, I would suggest that it is the extroverted function that takes in a lot of information, which is trying to funnel through an introverted function that could create the second-guessing. For example, a Fi-dom could second guess if they took in too much Ne and needed more time to distill it into their dominant framework. Or a Ni-dom would second guess if they have an influx of Fe or Te processesing that required more time to distill into the abstract patterns they had distilled to create their inner construct of reality.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Regarding ego-strength, this can be expanded into the entire hierarchy of the unconscious, i.e. some may have greater shadow strength, anima/animus strength, more wise old man/woman*, more Selfhood, more Self-transcendence (which has various divisions within it); though perhaps there is an underlying dimension of tendency to progress upwards on the hierarchy at a faster or slower pace, or maybe that some view the heavenly realms of upper self-trascendence as the point, and others view the point as the earthly realms of ego and body.

It's an interesting topic.

* while on the topic, I'm thinking of using the terms "the other" instead of anima/animus, and "the wise one" instead of wise old man/woman. What do y'all think?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Collage making... to represent myself and to interpret others... Ni? Fi? Ne?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Collage making... to represent myself and to interpret others... Ni? Fi? Ne?

What's striking is your ability to represent others well based on seemingly little observation. Therefore, you seem to be in touch with the inner worlds of others: Fi. Also, highly N. I cannot tell if Ni or Ne, but I suppose since you don't seem to tire of it much, maybe it is Ne and you just love gathering patterns from the world around you.

I was also thinking that what I said about INTJ/ISFP earlier might not make much sense from a Socionics perspective, given your emotional temperament. What I mean is that you are just very expressive/communicative, and you scored high-ish on neuroticism, which seems more INFP.

But I'll just stick to Enneagram for now.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's striking is your ability to represent others well based on seemingly little observation. Therefore, you seem to be in touch with the inner worlds of others: Fi. Also, highly N. I cannot tell if Ni or Ne, but I suppose since you don't seem to tire of it much, maybe it is Ne and you just love gathering patterns from the world around you.

I was also thinking that what I said about INTJ/ISFP earlier might not make much sense from a Socionics perspective, given your emotional temperament. What I mean is that you are just very expressive/communicative, and you scored high-ish on neuroticism, which seems more INFP.

But I'll just stick to Enneagram for now.

And you think 9w1 5w? 2w1 sxsp is correct for me? I'm doing a long test and 1 is leading... at least at the moment. 1w2 5w6 2w1 sxsp

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] - I don't think you exhibit the defense mechanism of reaction formation as seen in ennea-type 1. You are a pretty straight shooter, from what I gather.

Tater

Chaotic Symphony: ENFJ E1
Lark: ESTJ E1
asynartetic: INTP E9
Virtual Ghost: INTJ E5
Tenebris: INTJ E1
Norrsken: ENFJ E2
Eryn Silverfrond: ESFP Cool guy tritype

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chaotic Symphony: ENFJ E1
Lark: ESTJ E1
asynartetic: INTP E9
Virtual Ghost: INTJ E5
Tenebris: INTJ E1
Norrsken: ENFJ E2
Eryn Silverfrond: ESFP Cool guy tritype

Whatcha think about my typing?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You should throw away whatever book you're reading. Your initiation to charlatanism has failed.

Charlatanism? How am I engaging in charlatanism?

(also, my methods are original, I didn't read them in a book)