• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram-type me!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hello everyone. I'm curious about the enneagram, so of course I'm interested in what type I am.

I guess I should probably say a little about myself.

I used to be a very unhappy kid until about middle school, and that's about when I realized that nobody cared and that I should get back to work. Because of that, I'm a lot happier than a lot of people I see online.

When I'm with other people, I tend to try to entertain them with my antics. I'm not very serious with them, and never really do any work with them. I guess sometimes I play peacemaker, but I wouldn't say that's a main part of me because I don't really spend a lot of time in social situations. If I'm able, I'm usually left to my own pursuits and work on a lot of projects.

I've tested as 5w4, 5w6, 8w7, and 8w9. I guess I relate to 5 more, but I could never wrap my head around that 5s tend not to be very driven, because I've always been quite driven and ambitious.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
You don't seem like a typical type 5 INTJ to me.

I'd have to say 8w7, directly followed by 5w4.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
This is from ocean-moonshine.net

"Fives can be self-confident, especially in their areas of expertise and Eights can be intellectual and more self-restrained than type descriptions would indicate, so a mistype is possible. Socrates, an Eight, for instance, is frequently mistyped as a Five, and Nietzsche, a Five, has been mistyped as an Eight. But Socrates impressed others as much by his powerful presence as by his intellect, whereas the very sensitive Nietzsche frequently had a hard enough time getting out of bed. Socrates had no difficulty negotiating physical reality; Nietzsche's daytime experience was interfused with images emanating from his subconscious. Eights are comfortable in the world and have an expansive, grounded physical presence. In contrast, there is usually some tentativeness to a Five's physical presence - some part of them is not quite there."

"Eights can be mistyped as Fives when they are especially intellectual. Fives can be mistaken for Eights when they are especially self-confident, as they sometimes are in their own areas of expertise. Both types are independent and place a premium on the avoidance of displays of vulnerability. But an examination of the fundamental themes of their lives should reveal the stark underlying differences. Fives are sensitive and are susceptible to overwhelm and energy depletion; Eights have an expansive physical presence, are frequently insensitive, and are more likely to overwhelm others than to be overwhelmed themselves."

I think you're a 5 from what you've written.

Also, I could be wrong but aren't Introverts more likely to be 8w9 than 8w7?
My dad is an 8w7 ENTJ and he is definitely 'more likely to overwhelm others than to be overwhelmed himself'.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is from ocean-moonshine.net
My dad is an 8w7 ENTJ and he is definitely 'more likely to overwhelm others than to be overwhelmed himself'.

Hmm...

I think I know an 8w7 ENTJ too. She's quite overwhelming.

I do overwhelm people, but I think that's more because of their perceptions of me rather than my actual actions. Because to most people, certain traits will imply certain other traits, I can become a scary person through hearsay and in rumors I don't recognize myself at all. It's pretty funny.

I schedule myself kind of like how a lion does -- act impressive for four hours, then proceed to sleep for twenty hours. Now, the question is, which is more important? The four hours of action, or the twenty hours of needed rest?

Another problem with 5 is that instead of being more about 'energy conservation' (which is why I originally typed myself as 5) a lot of descriptions just say that they're there to observe. Which I am not. It seems like in this system it's impossible to have both a need to conserve energy and need to do work.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do you tend to hoard stuff? Do you collect lots of things like stamps, coins, anime figurines, or anything else?

Are you reclusive?

Are you curious about how things (like machines) work? Do you feel like you have to understand something completely before you *do* something?

heheh, I am a 5, but I still takes me time to spot them.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Do you tend to hoard stuff? Do you collect lots of things like stamps, coins, anime figurines, or anything else?

Are you reclusive?

Are you curious about how things (like machines) work? Do you feel like you have to understand something completely before you *do* something?

heheh, I am a 5, but I still takes me time to spot them.

I used to collect stuff more when I was little, but I kind of stopped because figurines are pointless. The only things that I actively get a lot of are things like knitting needles, books, music, pens, etc. If they're going to be collected, they've got to be useful.

Yes I am quite reclusive.

I don't have to understand things completely before I do things. For me, understanding is relatively instantaneous so I don't dedicate a lot of energy to it. I have very much a 'working' understanding rather than an 'actual' understanding of things. I work so much better with the gist of what I'm supposed to do rather than precise understanding. Too much precision slows me down.

I'm not interested in how machines work unless I need to get them to work. However, I do squeal like a little school girl when something works particularly well (not machines, but the execution of pretty much anything).

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
What is a typical 5 INTJ like? And explain your reasoning for 8w7.

The typical 5 would be most like your average "INTJForumer", which you most certainly are not. You seem much more outgoing and sociable that your average 5 (Which could be a result of higher self confidence, which you also sport).

You appear to me, as well as you could over a forum, as having a good deal more charismatic features than the stereotypical logical features. Introversion will make an 8w7 appear to have a very odd combination of traits, some apparently contradictory, (since that enn. type is usually correlated to extroverts) and being an NT on top of that would make you look much like a 5.

A lot of the defining factors of the Enneagram are how you relate to and deal with stress, only you can really asses the validity of those in comparison to the archetypes. My better judgment just thinks that you're an 8 though.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The typical 5 would be most like your average "INTJForumer", which you most certainly are not. You seem much more outgoing and sociable that your average 5 (Which could be a result of higher self confidence, which you also sport).

It seems that most 5 descriptions paint them as stereotypical ubernerds (much like INTPs), whereas 8 descriptions sound too aggressive for me. It might just be the confidence.

I'm thinking maybe 5 because I get most upset when somebody unwittingly gives me more work that upsets the 'master plan' AKA how I'm going to get all the stuff that I already have to do done. I'm usually quite good at this but sometimes it gets thrown off-balance by sickness or something...

We have two parts of 5-dom here, one of which definitely applies to me, and one which doesn't. The first is energy conservation, which applies to me, the second is 'understanding', which doesn't.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
5's go to 8 when they're high-functioning.

Your detachment is a fundamental quality of the 5. Oh, and 5s are head-people, while 8s are gut/instinctual types. You strike me as more 5ish than 8ish because you spend lots of time alone.

The five's basic motivation is to gain knowledge or become useful or expert at something (often everything), leading them to hoard information and consume it greedily. They take everything in and store it for future use, no matter how useful it really is. That's why fives like to collect things. (You should see my book collection.)
The basic motivation of the eight is that they need to control things and protect themselves and be in control of their lives. They're more outgoing and action-oriented people than detached, heady 5-types.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I frequently test as a 5w8, Hap.

Although the pairing is antithetical to the traditional Enneagram format, I find the combination works better for me than my secondary and tertiary scores of 5w6; 5w4.

How comfortable are you with leadership? Could you arbitrarily take command over a group of people without feeling insecure? You're in high school - if you had to, could you seize the attention of an entire lunchroom of people?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, if anyone noticed the cut-off posts that I deleted... :dry:

Let's not start classifying Enneagram types based on aspects of Instinctual Variants here. Those are seperate.

In general, you seem much more like a Five to me. Perhaps you aren't comfortable with the typical passiveness of the Five archetype, but between the passive and emotionally subdued model, and the aggressive and emotionally turbulent model, you definitely seem more like the former.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
How comfortable are you with leadership? Could you arbitrarily take command over a group of people without feeling insecure? You're in high school - if you had to, could you seize the attention of an entire lunchroom of people?

I usually do end up seizing leadership when it comes to high school projects. The reason is that most people just can't choose a damn direction. It's very annoying when your time is limited. :doh:

The worst part about leadership is that it's impossible to know if the person you tell to do something will actually do what they're told to do. I mean, if you press too hard, they'll go against you, if you don't press hard enough, they'll decide they don't have to, and there are a lot of people out there that won't do anything at all no matter how much you pressure them. So, you know, if you want to get something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Considering my lunch periods have about 834 people in them each, I suppose I'd be able to catch all of their attention -- however, the means I'd use to do it would probably get me suspended.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
So, you know, if you want to get something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Ti primary
Fe secondary
Te tertiary

I find this communication scheme is often the most efficient means to provide positive leadership.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ti primary
Fe secondary
Te tertiary

I find this communication scheme is often the most efficient means to provide positive leadership.

I'll keep that in mind.

This still doesn't answer my question, though.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Sorry, if anyone noticed the cut-off posts that I deleted... :dry:

Let's not start classifying Enneagram types based on aspects of Instinctual Variants here. Those are seperate.

I wasn't talking about instinctual variants when I mentioned head-types versus gut-types (and heart-types). I was referring to enneagram's three centers of intelligence. [567=thinking, 891=body, 234=heart]. Clearly this is different from being a self-preserving, sexual, or social personality variant.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't talking about instinctual variants when I mentioned head-types versus gut-types (and heart-types). I was referring to enneagram's three centers of intelligence. [567=thinking, 891=body, 234=heart]. Clearly this is different from being a self-preserving, sexual, or social personality variant.

I wasn't talking about that.
I was refering to the implications that Eights are inately more social and Fives. I don't believe you were part of it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I wasn't talking about that.
I was refering to the implications that Eights are inately more social and Fives. I don't believe you were part of it.

Hmm...

What are the implications of treating objectives and people differently? I don't like mixing people with my objectives, usually...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, most of the other posters have covered the basic perspectives. I can only add that based on taking into account your stacking SX/SP, your hobbies, and the types you've tested as, you are most likely either a 5w4, or an 8w9. This would theoretically depend on whether you were integrating, or disintegrating at present.

Your emphasis seems less on analysis and comprehenision vs. getting things accomplished, for what it's worth. I wouldn't have thought you seemed ruthless/power-seeking enough to be an 8, but the 9 wing could explain why.

There is something a little off of this, since you don't really seem as much like an SX type 8 according to some descriptions, but again the 9 wing might balance that out.

So, I'd say that 8w9 is my current guess, with 5w4 as a reserve guess.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, most of the other posters have covered the basic perspectives. I can only add that based on taking into account your stacking SX/SP, your hobbies, and the types you've tested as, you are most likely either a 5w4, or an 8w9. This would theoretically depend on whether you were integrating, or disintegrating at present.

Your emphasis seems less on analysis and comprehenision vs. getting things accomplished, for what it's worth. I wouldn't have thought you seemed ruthless/power-seeking enough to be an 8, but the 9 wing could explain why.

There is something a little off of this, since you don't really seem as much like an SX type 8 according to some descriptions, but again the 9 wing might balance that out.

So, I'd say that 8w9 is my current guess, with 5w4 as a reserve guess.

Very interesting.

The thing that's causing the most problems here would be is the deciding factor comprehension versus control, or something else?

If it's comprehension versus control, I'm definitely an 8. However, I'm very low-energy and intensely private (which both seem to be correlated with 5, but then again, that could be introversion.), somewhat artistically inclined (4?), and my controlling nature doesn't extend too much to people.