• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could my gut fix be 8 instead of 9?

What is Chanaynay's gut fix?

• 8w7

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 8w9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9w8

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 9w1

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]
notice that the parts of the 728 description you bolded sound more 729 :laugh:

anyway, I suggest you go to the source material and check out Naranjo's 8 and 9 descriptions. you are about as 8 as Tamaki Suo :tongue:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Dude you are totally 9 fixed. You fit the 792 description to a T. I notice that you even said that you view confrontation as "unpleasant" but you can endure it. This is very typical of a 9 fixer. They tend to dislike confrontation, but will endure it if they have to. You probably onto something though, and you probably have an 8 wing instead of a 1 wing. I've noticed that with confrontation, 9w8's tend to have a hot or cold style of confrontation: either they are really chill and avoid conflict or they just explode on someone out of nowhere, and leave people asking "Where the hell did that come from"?

Starry

Whoops sorry guys...I'm doing my laundry which means I've entered a full blown depression /sevenwingsix

7s with an 8 fix are ruthless, acquisitive, rough-around-the-edges and usually competitive. [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] is gentle as a lamb and a cuddly ball of enthusiasm (just look at all his avatars and signatures. SOOO not 8 fixed :laugh: )

You do have a point with the avatar...

There is no doubt in my mind that I am a 7 with an 8 fix...a 74 <-not 2...a 748...and cp to boot if you want to throw that in...and an sx dom...and while 'rough-around-the-edges' could replace my actual middle name...ruthless? acquisitive? Ah no. I'm not even competitive Elfboy...I have poured so many hours of thought into how much more successful I would be in the Western economy if I could just get myself to care a little more about money or winning or prestige...it's all bullshit to me. I can get aggressive about a principle or cause...and if you approach me and mine in a way I don't like...I will make sure that never happens again...but on the daily I'm your average, happy, going-nowhere haha ENFP 7w6.

I'm not a huge fan of the Fauvres. they would have me typed as 8w7 (like, the posterchild 8w7)
Edit: in fact, they type almost everyone who is assertive as an 8.
the important thing is that you have to look at each of the types in the tritype individual as well, and Chanz doesn't have a drop of 8

I don't know enough about *Fauvres* to even have an opinion of his work... Moreover, and for some reason I thought you knew this ha, I am not a fan of enneagram descriptions in the first place...I only use them if I'm looking for a pattern that I suspect exists...or to double check my understanding of something...which is what I did tonight. After reading your post I was like...no fuckin way is the 728 the Wall street beast you're making it out to be...and Fauvres agrees so now I build a shrine to him in my room.

You think I'm cuddly? Aww boo boo. :wubbie:

Because I love you, I shall bold the parts I relate to. :heart:

278, 782, 827 - The Free Spirit: You like to use your charming, sunny disposition to create an upbeat, positive, and action-packed environment. You are also very nurturing to those in your circle of care. Your life mission is to be an instrument of change, transforming difficult situations into moments of inspiration. A true free spirit, you are happiest when you are on the go and helping others to learn to act on their own behalf. Your blind spot is that you can be so focused on keeping everything positive and honest that you can be too aggressive and fail to recognize the importance of difficult emotions. You also keep busy and in motion to avoid painful feelings. Your growing edge is to recognize that your need to always be postivie, upbeat, and free can limit your ability to self reflect and fully be yourself. True happiness and joy come from being present to your higher self and experiencing all of your emotions.

[MENTION=11928]Vetani[/MENTION] told me this sounded like my mom (who I believe is 2w3>8w7>6w7) and there were a few parts that actually sounded like her. The part about being too aggressive and failing to recognize difficult emotions especially. But I've never really experienced that problem before. While my mom has a harder time grasping onto people dwelling in their negative emotions and exploring them, I was always the one trying to teach her how to do that because it's what I needed to do and what I do with other people. I think I'm also more self-reflective and more aware of my own negatives than this describes. Perhaps I'm a healthier version of this maybe. :wink: But either way, I don't relate to becoming more self-reflective and more "myself" when becoming healthier. Positivity restricting being myself especially - since I view myself as naturally positive so I don't see it as an inhibiting factor other than for reasons which are also applicable to 729s. Most changes I've noticed in me as I've become healthier is that I've learned to stand up for myself a lot more and not fear confrontation. I'm still on the path to growth though, as I need to learn to be more focused (I'm procrastinating right now haha) and other things but that's the progress pretty much so far.

C - like I said above...I'm not big on descriptions. I wouldn't expect any description...whether it be 'ENFP' or 'social dom'...etc. to fit you to a T. I also wouldn't expect every single person that has an 8 fix to be the living personification of the Incredible Hulk+Al Capone+Satan...but that's just me and my funny way of "doin the enneagram." Crazier still...I believe you can be forceful...even aggressive...all while maintaining a positive attitude...but it looks like Fauvres and I are ready the opium dens of Northern Thailand haha.

No, seriously C. I think one of the best examples of a true ENFP 729 on this site is [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] and perhaps she would be a great resource. I'm totally okay with you being a Peacemaker C...I say go for it!!!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
if you don't base your typings off of descriptions, what are they based off of? (please don't say movidations/fears. those are way too vague and applicable across many types to be useful typing tools)
PS: out of curiosity, what tritype do you think I am?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not averse to conflict; I readily put myself in the line of fire a lot.
this can be explained by core 7 (assertive type).

While I'm not averse to conflict - I don't like it. It drains a lot from me rather than firing me up.
exactly. 7s with an 8 fix love conflict. it gives them energy

When I get angry I express it more than repress it.
core 7

728 could explain level of extroversion.
extrovert :tongue: (seriously though, 729 is pretty extroverted too)

I like the feeling of "conquering" my environment (but good god I do no want the responsibilities that come with it ).
a little warmer, but most men (and plenty of women) feel this.

I'm not as obtrusive to my environment.
yup. 7, 2 and 8 is a very "triple shake things up" tritype. they have large, dramatic energy that tends to get noticed and cause a stir. your energy is certainly noticeable (which is understandable being an ENFP with 7 and 2 in your tritype), but it doesn't have the disruptive, "suck the air out of the room" quality of an 8 fixer (well, an 8 fixed 7 at least. an 8 fixer who was, say, core 5, probably wouldn't do this :tongue: )

here are some better examples of 728 (it's very much a party animal/jock/queen bee tritype)
Robert-Baratheon.jpg

rachel-mcadams-as-regina-george-rachel-mcadams-2377218-1600-900.jpeg

hang04.jpg

2821347-thor_1024x768.jpg

Starry

To be more clear I should say I don't use short-handed descriptions that are easily accessed online. To me it's similar to reading your horoscope in the Sunday newspaper. I own books. I've read them. I've pieced it together...created a framework in my mind...and now I'm just keeping track of the patterns....and adding information as I go. I also studied Psychology...and excelled at diagnosing illnesses. And while I don't care to verbally explain that process...I will say I'm basically doing the same thing. But yes, today, I start with the core fears.

I haven't ever considered a tritype for you...but the points I see strongly in you are 9, 8 & 4

What is your method Elfboy?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be more clear I should say I don't use short-handed descriptions that are easily accessed online. To me it's similar to reading your horoscope in the Sunday newspaper. I own books. I've read them. I've pieced it together...created a framework in my mind...and now I'm just keeping track of the patterns....and adding information as I go. I also studied Psychology...and excelled at diagnosing illnesses. And while I don't care to verbally explain that process...I will say I'm basically doing the same thing. But yes, today, I start with the core fears.
ok, that makes a WORLD of difference. I'm glad I asked for clarification rather than going with my first impulse to dismiss your credibility.

I haven't ever considered a tritype for you...but the points I see strongly in you are 9, 8 & 4
I'm not considering it at the moment, but, if I'm not a 1 fixer, I think 8 would make more sense than 9. I'm far more disruptive than any 9 fixer I've met

What is your method Elfboy?
a combination of a few things
- book descriptions (some of which are available online, some are not). Naranjo is my favorite he exposes the dark underbelly of all the types.
- general vibe
- deduction based on behavioral evidence (ie, how I've seen them interact. this is admittedly harder to gather online, but, given enough time, patterns in the data emerge. I don't agree with all those Te inferior 4s and 6s who get butthurt whenever people try to use evidence or data to type people.)
- general life outlook and natural pitfalls (genuine natural weaknesses are a better indicator of temperament than the kind of, as you said, horoscope-y descriptions out there which tend to focus on vague strengths which could apply to a range of types)

PS: have you interacted with Chanaynay on camera?

R

Riva

Chay you are so extroverted you make me feel like an introvert.

9s can get angry

ENFPS in general are gentle as fuck. Believe me I have tried in the past to make enfps yelll and scream and they are seemingly incapable, or completely averse to it.

No way. I think entps are calmer than enfps. And gentle would never be word i'd use to describe enfps.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No way. I think entps are calmer than enfps. And gentle would never be word i'd use to describe enfps.
my experience has been that ENFPs are more "bubbly" while ENTPs are more anxious/"jittery". our energy is more effusive and engaging; yours is more cerebral/dorky :tongue:

R

Riva

my experience has been that ENFPs are more "bubbly" while ENTPs are more anxious/"jittery". our energy is more effusive and engaging; yours is more cerebral/dorky :tongue:

Anxious jittery sounds like entps who are w6s and e6s.

Cerebral dorky is correct though.

Edit - would you say enfps are gentle? I don't think so

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe you can be forceful...even aggressive...all while maintaining a positive attitude...

No, seriously C. I think one of the best examples of a true ENFP 729 on this site is [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] and perhaps she would be a great resource. I'm totally okay with you being a Peacemaker C...I say go for it!!!

so you mentioned me in this post, and i was thinking about it a little bit, and the bolded really stuck out to me.

i think of the way that chanaynay goes after nicodemus and that seems like more forceful behavior than i probably would engage in. i read once that 8-fixers take up space like they own it and 9s take up space almost apologetically. i come into new situations with a bit of trepidation. i'm afraid of stepping on toes and don't want to like rock any boats. for that reason, i tend to kind of ease my way into social situations in a way that i feel will be comfortable for both me and those receiving me. (people's first impressions of me are often that i'm 'shy and quiet'.) i definitely feel like chan has a more commanding energy. a less apologetic occupation of space. less concern for 'rocking the boat' with his presence, and more of a desire to come in and make his presence known.

it's a good thing, and i see it and envy it with 7s who have 8-fixes. because we share that same 7w6 ebullient energy, it looks similar when we give it. it's happy, it's positive, it's engaging. with an 8, you just give it more directly, without questioning if the time or situation is right. with a 9, i wait around and feel it out for a while to make sure i can give that energy in a way that 'fits' and doesn't disrupt any harmony.

also, lol at laundry causing depression. can i get an aaaa-men.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Whoops sorry guys...I'm doing my laundry which means I've entered a full blown depression /sevenwingsix

Having to deal with a whole entire page of replies is putting me through the same struggle Starry. :(

There is no doubt in my mind that I am a 7 with an 8 fix...a 74 <-not 2...a 748...and cp to boot if you want to throw that in...and an sx dom...and while 'rough-around-the-edges' could replace my actual middle name...ruthless? acquisitive? Ah no. I'm not even competitive Elfboy...I have poured so many hours of thought into how much more successful I would be in the Western economy if I could just get myself to care a little more about money or winning or prestige...it's all bullshit to me. I can get aggressive about a principle or cause...and if you approach me and mine in a way I don't like...I will make sure that never happens again...but on the daily I'm your average, happy, going-nowhere haha ENFP 7w6.

What I've noticed about [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is that while he definitely makes sure to do his research and tries to ensure that he fully understands the concepts, he lacks a substantial amount of external experience for real-world applications (other than people he's made hypothetical, educated guesses about on the fly). Typing is very much more a journey than it is an assignment - it's actually something I had the pleasure of learning from him and others as I watched his opinion of me and my type more and more as we got to know each other on a more intimate level. But anyway, I've noticed because of this he tends to default more with examples of characters (see his later post) who are just that - characters. I mean, I totally see how Regina is 278 but she's also an incredibly exaggerated character. :alttongue:

I don't know why I even brought this up. I think Elfboob's opinion of me is a very reasonable one especially since it's in alignment with most of the people in this thread. But I think that he kind of builds on more of a 7w8ish image of 7s just because that's the kind of image he's attracted to (not romantically, but just generally drawn to). So that could be why there's a bit of dissonance between what he says and your personal experience. :yes:

I believe you can be forceful...even aggressive...all while maintaining a positive attitude...

No, seriously C. I think one of the best examples of a true ENFP 729 on this site is @five sounds and perhaps she would be a great resource. I'm totally okay with you being a Peacemaker C...I say go for it!!!

I agree with the first line and the second line. I'll respond to Nic because I found her response interesting. :yes:

this can be explained by core 7 (assertive type).

exactly. 7s with an 8 fix love conflict. it gives them energy

core 7

extrovert :tongue: (seriously though, 729 is pretty extroverted too)

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of my 8ish tendencies are also caused by being core 7 since they're next to each other on the spectrum.

yup. 7, 2 and 8 is a very "triple shake things up" tritype. they have large, dramatic energy that tends to get noticed and cause a stir. your energy is certainly noticeable (which is understandable being an ENFP with 7 and 2 in your tritype), but it doesn't have the disruptive, "suck the air out of the room" quality of an 8 fixer (well, an 8 fixed 7 at least. an 8 fixer who was, say, core 5, probably wouldn't do this :tongue: )

Hmm, I vary between the disruptive and peaceful qualities you talk about though. :thinking:

here are some better examples of 728 (it's very much a party animal/jock/queen bee tritype)

I actually fit the party animal stereotype pretty well IRL. :alttongue: *brought a vodka soda to class yesterday and got wasted*

I agree with this (and I'm warming up more to the idea of 9w8 for Elfboy). :blush:

icon_local_aimkissyface.gif

so you mentioned me in this post, and i was thinking about it a little bit, and the bolded really stuck out to me.

i think of the way that chanaynay goes after nicodemus and that seems like more forceful behavior than i probably would engage in. i read once that 8-fixers take up space like they own it and 9s take up space almost apologetically. i come into new situations with a bit of trepidation. i'm afraid of stepping on toes and don't want to like rock any boats. for that reason, i tend to kind of ease my way into social situations in a way that i feel will be comfortable for both me and those receiving me. (people's first impressions of me are often that i'm 'shy and quiet'.) i definitely feel like chan has a more commanding energy. a less apologetic occupation of space. less concern for 'rocking the boat' with his presence, and more of a desire to come in and make his presence known.

it's a good thing, and i see it and envy it with 7s who have 8-fixes. because we share that same 7w6 ebullient energy, it looks similar when we give it. it's happy, it's positive, it's engaging. with an 8, you just give it more directly, without questioning if the time or situation is right. with a 9, i wait around and feel it out for a while to make sure i can give that energy in a way that 'fits' and doesn't disrupt any harmony.

also, lol at laundry causing depression. can i get an aaaa-men.

This pushed me more away from 729 and more towards 728. First paragraph was definitely true. I'm not sure what else to add because this is a very nice contrast. But the only other differences between us are so/sx vs sx/sp, 2w3-fix vs 2w1-fix and I'd think a social-last would actually be less apologetic about disrupting the environment so there is definitely something between us that needs explaining that could be explained by 8 vs 9.

Dude you are totally 9 fixed. You fit the 792 description to a T. I notice that you even said that you view confrontation as "unpleasant" but you can endure it. This is very typical of a 9 fixer. They tend to dislike confrontation, but will endure it if they have to. You probably onto something though, and you probably have an 8 wing instead of a 1 wing. I've noticed that with confrontation, 9w8's tend to have a hot or cold style of confrontation: either they are really chill and avoid conflict or they just explode on someone out of nowhere, and leave people asking "Where the hell did that come from"?

Why do you say 9w8 vs 9w1 for me specifically?

B

brainheart

I don't agree with all those Te inferior 4s and 6s who get butthurt whenever people try to use evidence or data to type people.

Uh, what? I seriously don't know what the hell you are talking about. :shrug:

Not to take away from your thread, [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]. This just struck me as hilarious. (And sorry I don't know you well enough to say 729 or 728.)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm going to have to say 9.

Why's that? :thinking:

Not to take away from your thread, [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]. This just struck me as hilarious. (And sorry I don't know you well enough to say 729 or 728.)

:laugh:

Qre:us

Everyone I know who is 7w8, or 8w7 is very much OK with the concept of "This is how shit is going to be, because I'm busy and you're not the boss of me."[/i] :shock:
[...]
I think you are much more nice than that, as in you are assertive - but not necessarily confrontational by default.
If there is any ambiguity in the midst of my surroundings the first thing I'll do is recalibrate things as it makes sense to me for them to be, and in my case part of that is ensuring that the greater good of all is being realized. If all is cool, I'm glad to sit back and enjoy the ride - but if not, well - you know. :newwink:

So true. I prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride, and wish this was the default for all situations (because I'm lazy like that), but if shit is out of whack, I can't help but dive in. And am usually the first, and the most forceful, about "what should be done".

:yes:

If I'm allowed to be the one to make a decision, I always want to because it benefits me the most to make that decision. When I'm dating someone I tend to get overly indecisive not because I lack a decision in my head--but because I know it's a little selfish behavior of mine normally and I want to ensure I give them ample opportunity to stick their own decisions in there..

Heh, thanks for putting this into words. I have the same issue, and have been accused of being indecisive, when, for me, it seems like my not-fully matured Fe, does not know how to balance being "nice/considerate" versus "being decisive". Because in my head, I already do have a preference, but I want to give the other a chance to have their say.... so I hold back, and they hold back, and then I get frustrated, and it sometimes ends up being counter-productive to my original aim.

*sigh*

Not to focus so much on anger...

The main things I exhibit that make me confident in my 8ness.. despite others disagreeing at times:

- My anger is a measurable and very real part of my daily life. It motivates me, or de-motivates me, depending.. but it is not something I can avoid. I'm an angry person. This isn't to be confused for being unhealthy.. I clearly don't go around yelling at people all the time, or losing my temper at any one thing. But controlling my anger was something I had to learn at a young age, and I struggled with it growing up. Usually I'll pick up trash not because "Oh, yay, I'm helping the environment! and I wouldn't want to see litter around... " but more "What an ass, throwing this cup on the ground. Fuck him or her." Part of the reason I feel so much better about exercise is because its a healthy way to vent my stress and anger--and I do have it. I'm a very happy, optimistic, and chipper person.. almost to an annoying extent sometimes. But my anger is a major motivator for me to actually move.

- The only thing more motivating than my anger is my feeling of needing to be in control. I dislike the court systems and judge them based on the fact that it's almost always out of your [read: my] control and you're at the whim of others who don't recognize common sense. I liked my career in the army because I actually had some say in how jobs went, and who was working under me and how I ran things. I'm going to school now even though I HATE school so much because I want to be in control of my life and my current career choice is allowing me to do that. I get scared to start relationships, even though I know I want one to last in my life, because it really is out of my control.. I can only do so much--I have to rely on the other person entirely.. and their minds change a lot quicker than mine tends to. I love budgets because they're visible "I love me and the control I have in my life" documents. Everything is about this sense of independence and control.

- When I do participate in things out of my control, and that I'm not allowed to be angry at, I am very, very hesitant to let them go. I have a best friend currently that sucks as a best friend, and I'm about to tell her to take someone else to a musical I spent money on for her and I to go. But I'm really scared to just say that even though I want to.. because I've spent a lot of time with her being my friend. I really don't have any female friends after she's going to be gone.. and there's no way for me to change that entirely on my own. I have to have females wanting to be close friends to me--not a common thing to find at my age.. usually you make them young.

- Challenges come in all forms. I am very competitive--with myself.. not so much with others. I like the occasional games, I like watching sports and my teams winning, etc. But the major way I challenge myself is in my own life. I wanted to control my anger because it was challenging for me--and I wanted control of my life. It all fit together perfectly. I'm challenging myself to work within a budget. To build a house despite having never built a structure on my own before. I don't really challenge others, and I think social conditioning is a lot to blame for that (i.e. I never win wrestling matches with dudes back when I did that a lot.. not because I couldn't.. but sometimes because I just knew it wouldn't benefit either of us. I'd get pissed that they'd claim they went soft when I know they didn't, and if I lost then.. meh.. all's normal..), but it works out in the end because I'm pretty good at challenging ideas and concepts without being truly upset about them. Not perfect.. and I think I do frequently come across as really bitchy or angry when I really feel I'm not and have no intentions to be. No, not perfect at all. But it's something in the right direction.

- I have resting bitchy face. That's apparently a thing, and I definitely have it. (Note: this has nothing to do with anything.)

I don't feel like I'm unhealthy, and there are many things I've learned in my life to just live-and-let-live.. and I'm still learning how to do that. But the big difference I see between myself and others is--I'm LEARNING it.. It doesn't come naturally to me. I'm completely cool with people being hippies about their health despite not agreeing with them entirely, but I had to learn to be cool with that for my own sake. It's a work in progress, and one I'm getting better at with time and age.

:shrug: Just my two cents. Sorry it's long.

Thanks for these. They really resonated with me. My anger is definitely a part of my identity. All those nearest and dearest to me, would tell you this aspect about me, when asked to name some "negative traits" of mine. And, yes, I have spent a good part of my life, channeling it in healthy ways rather than letting it control me. I know that my anger is my frustration and my anxiety, building to a boiling point. It forces me to do something about it, when I reach that stage.

"You come at me, I'm going to come at you, ten times harder, faster, smarter." <-- that's my aim anyway, and "you" is not necessarily a person, as it can be a situation, too.

And [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] - commenting that 7w8 get off on conflict, get energized by it. Yes, this is definitely true. I've doubted relationships (not only romantic ones), where I've never fought with the person, or had a conflict with them. My inherent assumption: There is no person in the world that I can get along with 100% of the time, including myself. As such, if I've never had a conflict with someone, I think of that relationship as not yet reached its depth. Because I feel like we've only been swimming in the shallow end, if we haven't faced a conflict together, and come out the other side.

(sorry [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] for derailing your thread. I really can't see you as a gut fix 8. Really.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wasn't talking about you, but it's there (there are more of them over on PerC. good god...)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Why do you say 9w8 vs 9w1 for me specifically?

While under confrontation, 9w1's will avoid confrontation, at first and then will diplomatically disarm the confrontation. The 9w8 also avoids confrontation at first, but then just explodes on someone out of nowhere.

No way in hell do you have an 8 fix though, because you don't have the presence of a 782.