• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reassessment of my Enneagram Type and Instinctual Variant

á´…eparted

passages
Interesting take on it, and I wholeheartedly agree. I do have a bit of a perfectionist attitude when it comes to being factually accurate and logically correct and I can be hard on myself if I am not factually accurate or illogical in my approach to things.

Being hard on oneself is another hallmark. Out of all the enneagram types, I think that E1's (as a group) are the hardest on themselves. 4's can beat themselves up a lot too, but their reasons for doing so are totally different.

Alea_iacta_est

Being hard on oneself is another hallmark. Out of all the enneagram types, I think that E1's (as a group) are the hardest on themselves. 4's can beat themselves up a lot too, but their reasons for doing so are totally different.

The problem is that I'm pretty self-accepting, which could stem from being a healthy 1 or just meeting the standards that I have imposed on myself.

á´…eparted

passages
The problem is that I'm pretty self-accepting, which could stem from being a healthy 1 or just meeting the standards that I have imposed on myself.

That indeed is a sign of being healthy. It's not to say that all 1's are always hard on themselves. It's more that if expected standards are not met, it results in a very crappy feeling, and if it's bad enough one is inclined to beat oneself up and look for all of the loose ends that caused it in the first place.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That indeed is a sign of being healthy. It's not to say that all 1's are always hard on themselves. It's more that if expected standards are not met, it results in a very crappy feeling, and if it's bad enough one is inclined to beat oneself up and look for all of the loose ends that caused it in the first place.

What feeling is a "crappy" feeling?

Alea_iacta_est

Kind of hard to describe. For me at least, it's a distinct feeling of "you failed" or "you did wrong". It sort of feels shame. I feel it as the "failure feeling".

I know what you are talking about, and I'd best describe it as melodramatic depression, an inferiority complex, and perhaps a feeling of corruption.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know what you are talking about, and I'd best describe it as melodramatic depression, an inferiority complex, and perhaps a feeling of corruption.

That is type Four responding as the One's stress point.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kind of hard to describe. For me at least, it's a distinct feeling of "you failed" or "you did wrong". It sort of feels shame. I feel it as the "failure feeling".

Shame is a core emotion of the Feeling triad, feelings of failure come from the Body or Effective triad where achievement is all-important.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I bit my tongue when you claimed not to be a perfectionist. :laugh:

Alea_iacta_est

I bit my tongue when you claimed not to be a perfectionist. :laugh:

I think my problem with accepting my innate perfectionism is that I want to be absolutely perfect, but I don't want to put forward any tedious work to achieve it.

I am extremely perfectionist in terms of action, however; everything must always be clearly researched and defined before I attempt anything so that I can eliminate even the slightest probabilities of freak accidents (or at least have the majority of good results on my side, so that I can take the risk of not detailing everything). I don't take action until I know everything and have the needed power to ensure my optimum result. (This magnifies by 300% when I'm refining the vision with Fi instead of Te. My Ni-Fi loop can be absolutely chronic and can lead me to question even 99% success rates of certain actions.)

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think my problem with accepting my innate perfectionism is that I want to be absolutely perfect, but I don't want to put forward any tedious work to achieve it.

I am extremely perfectionist in terms of action, however; everything must always be clearly researched and defined before I attempt anything so that I can eliminate even the slightest probabilities of freak accidents (or at least have the majority of good results on my side, so that I can take the risk of not detailing everything). I don't take action until I know everything and have the needed power to ensure my optimum result. (This magnifies by 300% when I'm refining the vision with Fi instead of Te. My Ni-Fi loop can be absolutely chronic and can lead me to question even 99% success rates of certain actions.)

This isn't 1, this is 5. At least according to Naranjo.

Naranjo says both 1 and 5 are perfectionist but 1 is directly action oriented and 5 is always preparing and preparing and blahblahblah. And 5 is avoidant of tedious work. Just like you describe it here :p

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]

Your opinion?

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]

Your opinion?

My opinion is one of deliberation.

I am in accordance with the assertion that the 5 plans extensively yet is too cautious and doubting to ever put any of their plans into action (which would be the epitome of my planning, actually).

Then there is the plausibility of 4, which I have mistyped as before and which integrates to Type 1 during healthy self-actualization, explaining my mistyping as a 1 and also some underlying intense emotionalism that arises somewhat melancholicly.

The only thing that is of certainty now I presume is that I possess a 5 and a 4 fixation.