• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please Ignore Thread

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey @floralcoralpot. Cute name. :)

It's always a little hard to judge someone's usage of the functions through their descriptions of the functions, IMO, since it gets multilayered. From what you've written here it sounds like you associate a lot more with Fi/Se-ISFP than Si/Fe-ISFJ, but maybe I can post a few extra tidbits that could help you feel out what is more right for you. I really like the website cognitiveprocesses.com, because it gives "snapshots" of the types, so that's where I'll be taking the following information from.

ISFJ Protector Supporter said:
The ISFJ theme is protecting and caretaking, making sure their charges are safe from harm. Talents lie in making sure everything is taken care of so others can succeed and accomplish their goals. Desiring to serve individual needs, often work long hours. Quietly friendly, respectful, unassuming. Thrive on serving quietly without fanfare. Devoted to doing whatever is necessary to ensure shelter and safety, warning about pitfalls and dangers and supporting along the way.

Leading - Introverted Sensing - Reviewing and recalling past experiences and seeking detailed data
Supporting - Extraverted Feeling - Connecting and considering others and the group

ISFP Composer Producer said:
Theme is composing, using whatever is at hand to get a harmonious, aesthetic result. Talents lie in combining, varying, and improvising, frequently in the arts but also in business and elsewhere. With their senses keenly tuned in they become totally absorbed in the action of the moment, finding just what fits the situation or the composition. Thrive on having the freedom to vary what they do until they get just the right effect. Take action to help others and demonstrate values. Kind and sensitive to the suffering of others.

Leading - Introverted Feeling - Valuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth
Supporting - Extraverted Sensing - Experiencing and acting in the immediate context

The two are sort of "inside-out" of each other, though all S types are more "in-the-moment" than N types. ISFJ processes more outward, using the present external environment for clues, when it comes to people interactions and feeling out how they can be most helpful to others in situations. When they need more data, they refer inward to their gathered data bank of past experiences and collected information. ISFP processes more outward when it comes to general data, taking in their environment and situation at present, having a good eye for immediate potential, but goes inward into their heart when it comes to feeling out what's best in a situation or what's meaningful and beautiful.

Also, your reflection on Ne made me laugh! It's similarly hard for me to understand how someone could only focus in the moment for long spans of time. My mind immediately jumps to future possibilities, and implications and connections. I struggle to stay "in the moment" and grounded to reality. It's one of the reasons I appreciate hanging out with my ISFJ boyfriend and ISTP brother, because they both tend to draw my awareness back down to Earth and help me enjoy the present, which I tend to miss out on otherwise because my thoughts are lost in space!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
See, it's interesting to hear about people with different functions than you, because it's like I'm learning something new, getting to hear how people experience them.

Is it easy typing people you know? I have a sense for what my brother and mom are, but I only know that my sister's an INFP because she told me so, LOL.

Ne sounds like something so otherworldly to me; I would kinda wanna experience it one day.

Thanks again for all the help! Really appreciate it.

:hug: You're welcome! I agree with you about hearing others' different experiences. It's really fascinating for me to hear how differently others can perceive and process things.

I think typing's easy with some people and hard with others. I actually thought my dad was INTJ at first - he's INTP - and I thought my brother was INTP at first - he's ISTP. My mom has always been very clear to me, she's an ESFJ for sure. I think it just depends on how clearly they present the traits the types are described by and how you tend to think of people. Sometimes I struggle a lot and other times it seems obvious. I don't believe it's really an exact science anyway, so I figure best guesses are fine unless/until I can learn more from the person themselves.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ah, that makes sense... Sometimes I think of the whole system too rigidly and that's probably what makes it difficult for me. But then I remind myself that it isn't an exact science (like you said), and then all is well in the world again. :)

Me too. Exactly. :yes: