• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Me (New and Improved With Marmite Flavour!)

Jen's True Type

• Total voters

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hilarious isn't it? ;) I live in a predominately SFJ area and grew up with an SJ mother and I find them very annoying.

Have you considered that maybe you're not an IStP?

Edit: I also want to clarify that I don't put all my faith in MBTI and realize that there are many factors in psychoanalyzing a person.
I hope I didn't offend you. I just find it easy to spot ironic inconsistencies in people, and sometimes point them out when perhaps I shouldn't. FJs do tend to find that irritating, now that I think of it....

I've considered it, many times. Though I don't fit the stereotype very well, there is no other type I identify more with, and I do identify with the ISTPs here. I just don't think I'm one of those people who fit neatly into a box (particularly one defined by the unpleasant sensors in another individual's life, who may not even be all sensors and certainly weren't the only sensors around, who may not be representative even of other individuals of the same type, let alone all sensors, etc etc ;)).

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I don't know you very well, but any of the xxFJ variables wouldn't surprise me.

I wouldn't have thought INFJ, because you don't seem to communicate like them. But I also get the impression you're different and easier-going IRL, so I might be wrong. This might also explain the ambiguity.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
As an Ni dominant who's also been (I believe sincerely) typed on this board as an ESJ, I'm wary of disbelieving your self-identification just because you don't conform, at all, to the expectations established by my (not too extensive, but decent) experience with INFJs: My own auxiliary function, Te, is highly developed and so I am directive and can do a pretty good imitation of the so-sorry-you-have-to-die mentality :whistling: when I am motivated to do so by self-assured, idiosyncratic Ni and/or inferior Fi and/or my non-function related psychological problems, whatever ;); the point is that I have been known to act out like a Te dominant with a black-white approach that I guess has been construed as evidence of Si.

I figure your case could be parallel to mine; you obviously use Fe and since you don't really do the Ni-Ti airy philosophizing*, that's all most people see of you. In addition (you mentioned somewhere that you value INTJ honesty, right? :cry:), your particular brand of Fe strikes me as very tangible and (I mean well if that's any consolation) somewhat shallow. It seems to me you seek to bond over trivialities...:

What's your (real) first name? <-- Personally I couldn't care less what people's real names are (except that I take a name exchange via PMs as a signal of increased intimacy).
Post a picture of your feet <-- :huh:
What's your favorite soda? <-- :huh:
Preferred cuisines <-- :huh:

... and also that you do your best to reinforce a high school-like element of cliquishness:

MBTIc Awards Banquet
Proteanmix vs. Uberfuhrer

... which no INFJ I know did when they were in high school.

However, if you were really as tangibly oriented as you appear to be, I don't think you'd be posting here so much, and also as I looked up your threads I did find some more abstract OPs of yours. So I could buy that you're an INFJ. Whatever your type, I have a guess at your motivation for seeking to bond in these ways, namely your low self-esteem...:

Why do I always

... which could be making you simultaneously hungry for affirmation and terrified of letting anyone get to know the real you, thus leading you to interact with others in safe ways that dumb you down (IMO) rather than risk getting rejected for who you really are. Have you considered getting therapy? (I mean well, damnit! :doh:)

* Writing this made me wonder about the INTJ Ni-Fi parallel to the INFJ's Ni-Ti airy philosophizing - I'd be grateful if someone could identify it for me.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Jen, I know this has been brought up already but you're beginning to insist you're an INFJ. If you knew all along what type you are then why'd you bother? I know that you said you wanted to get people's perceptions of you but now that you have it (and according to the poll it's ExFJ or ixFJ) what are you going to do with the information? You have people's perceptions and now what? It does seem that since people aren't confirming what type you believe you are that you're a bit disappointed. Most of the people that have commented are longtime members and you have one of the most commented and viewed "What's my Type" threads in the subforum.

Being somewhat sensitive and defensive towards criticism, I try not to open myself up to criticism that I'm not yet able to handle. When I feel like I'm ready to get punched in the gut and still get up off the floor and say "I'm aight!" is when I solicit. It's confusing when people comment about you and then you disregard what they say when you asked for it yourself (do that too so I understand :)). As much as I love to disagree with Bluewing, I actually kinda think you should've started out with what type you think you are so people can either agree or disagree.

Overall, it doesn't really matter what type you are. People like you here and you've found a place where you feel comfortable. If you find that you're having troubles with the Sensors in your life, I've found that since they make up the majority of the population and I have knowledge that will help me communicate better with them I might as well use it to make my life easier instead of using it as a wall to barricade myself inside of (I do that with other majority/minority interactions as well ;)). You have more knowledge so utilize it to your advantage.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Why do I always

... which could be making you simultaneously hungry for affirmation and terrified of letting anyone get to know the real you, thus leading you to interact with others in safe ways that dumb you down (IMO) rather than risk getting rejected for who you really are. Have you considered getting therapy? (I mean well, damnit! :doh:)
I'm bored most of the time. I gave up working 7 years ago to stay home with our children and I am grateful for having that opportunity however there's only so much cooking, cleaning and communicating with children one can take so I am here mostly shoot the shit, goof off and have fun.

As for the therapy thing, I've had it in the past and more often times than not I am analyzing the therapist. The last two therapists that I took our son to behaved as if I intimidated them. I look people in the eye when they're speaking and that makes a lot of people very uncomfortable. they also don't seem to like it when i ask them questions or try and discuss psychology with them.

Believe me when I say this, I am not upset and you haven't said anything that has offended however all those emoticons are annoying and not needed. a few (just enough so I would know you weren't being an asshole) would have been fine. :)

pm I can be a moody pita and that's the truth. thank you for your posts and I really do like you. it is also likely true that i am borderline E/I F/T depending on my mood. I can be a cold hearted bitch at times and a compassionate loving person other times. I think worthy people deserve help and would be there in a heartbeat for those individuals if called upon.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
For some time now you've reminded me of an ENFJ. ;)

What proteanmix said! times infinity :D

I had some intense deja-vu reading your post right after reading pro's lol

Jen said:
Hilarious isn't it? I live in a predominately SFJ area and grew up with an SJ mother and I find them very annoying.

I'd also like to point out that extroverts don't spend as much time online as I do. As some of you may know I met my husband online years ago and it was so much easier for he and I to get to know one another that way. Same goes for meeting friends.

I agree with Rajah on viewing online interaction as a form of extroverting. As you're a stay at home mom, and if you are an extrovert, you might be satisfying your extroversion through online communities since you don't identify with most, if not all, of the SFJs in your area. If you avoid or just keep contact to a minimum because you find them annoying and that you can't relate to them, it might also be why it's easier to communicate online with people with whom you better relate to, thus satisfying your Fe.

Can you stay connected to these communities (MBTIc/INTPc/etc) and with others online, whether through PMs or IMs, for extended amounts of time without needing a long break from them? This might be a way to gauge your level of extroversion too.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Jen said:
it is also likely true that i am borderline E/I F/T depending on my mood. I can be a cold hearted bitch at times and a compassionate loving person other times.

One can easily conceive a Feeler to be a cold-hearted bitch, as the Feeler is in greater touch with the human element, and is thus exposed to a greater amount of opportunities to perceive an offense on his or her values or feelings. Thinkers are more given to indifference in such matters.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm bored most of the time. I gave up working 7 years ago to stay home with our children and I am grateful for having that opportunity however there's only so much cooking, cleaning and communicating with children one can take so I am here mostly shoot the shit, goof off and have fun.

As for the therapy thing, I've had it in the past and more often times than not I am analyzing the therapist. The last two therapists that I took our son to behaved as if I intimidated them. I look people in the eye when they're speaking and that makes a lot of people very uncomfortable. they also don't seem to like it when i ask them questions or try and discuss psychology with them.

Believe me when I say this, I am not upset and you haven't said anything that has offended however all those emoticons are annoying and not needed. a few (just enough so I would know you weren't being an asshole) would have been fine. :)

pm I can be a moody pita and that's the truth. thank you for your posts and I really do like you. it is also likely true that i am borderline E/I F/T depending on my mood. I can be a cold hearted bitch at times and a compassionate loving person other times. I think worthy people deserve help and would be there in a heartbeat for those individuals if called upon.

See, you *do* sound like an ESFJ here. Which is not intended to be negative! I have two good ESFJ friends, who are warm, wonderful intelligent people. I just think you are already biased against selecting such a type to even consider.

I suppose it is like all the ISTP's who select INTP when they are not. I may well be one of them (and I'd be much amused if I was a sensor, it'd be better than fitting a stereotype!)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
When "sensor" becomes shorthand for "people who have been awful to me and who I don't like or understand," then of course you would hesitate to put yourself in that category. IMO the only fair use of MBTI divorces that kind of judgment and dispassionately observes whether people tend toward S or N traits. People who are assholes are that way not because they are a certain type, but because they are assholes. An ESFJ asshole will express differently from an INTP asshole, but no type has that market cornered.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
For some time now you've reminded me of an ENFJ. ;)

I had some intense deja-vu reading your post right after reading pro's lol

I agree with Rajah on viewing online interaction as a form of extroverting. As you're a stay at home mom, and if you are an extrovert, you might be satisfying your extroversion through online communities since you don't identify with most, if not all, of the SFJs in your area. If you avoid or just keep contact to a minimum because you find them annoying and that you can't relate to them, it might also be why it's easier to communicate online with people with whom you better relate to, thus satisfying your Fe.
I'm impressed. You've really been paying attention. :wub:

Can you stay connected to these communities (MBTIc/INTPc/etc) and with others online, whether through PMs or IMs, for extended amounts of time without needing a long break from them? This might be a way to gauge your level of extroversion too.
Yes I do and at least one I communicate on the phone with on a regular basis. I don't pm a lot but have a few people who i stay in contact with via im. I do need interaction with others sometimes so I can see why people would type me ENFJ and I'm comfortable with that. I would say I'm mildly extroverted.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Somebody should just rename the dichotomies:

Spaz/Loner
Dullard/Dreamer
Asshole/Wuss
Slob/Tightass

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
edit: it's true that i should stop being judgmental against sensors and i might consider giving them slack in the future. i can see them coming a mile away. there's a look in their eyes sometimes it's vacant. the pinchy faced sfj stay at home moms who after speaking to them for several minutes i usually excuse myself because the conversation becomes unbearable.

Ivy if you are indeed an ISFJ then you're an exception to the rule. ;P

Geoff if it makes you happy to think of me as an ESFP/J (whatever ;)) then I'm down with that because you've never given me a reason to dislike you. I probably know more about you than you would think because I am a gatherer of information and pics. ;P

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
edit: it's true that i should stop being judgmental against sensors and i might consider giving them slack in the future. i can see them coming a mile away. there's a look in their eyes sometimes it's vacant. the pinchy faced sfj stay at home moms who after speaking to them for several minutes i usually excuse myself because the conversation becomes unbearable.

Ivy if you are indeed an ISFJ then you're an exception to the rule. ;P

My point is that you don't really know these people are sensors. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy because you've equated "dull, vacant, unbearable" with sensor, but believe me, dull and vacant intuitives exist. They're just dull and vacant in a dreamy, flighty, disconnected direction instead of in a grounded, heavy direction. Interesting sensors are interesting in a concrete, hands-on direction; interesting intuitives are interesting in a taking flight, skimming the trees direction. I mean, just on this forum there are bunches of sensors who aren't dull, vacant, or unbearable, not to mention plenty of intuitives who are. ;)

And I'm not averse to being typed ISFJ--I know some wonderful ones and I wouldn't mind being in their company at all. I just don't think it fits me anymore; when I typed as ISFJ, I was not my healthiest self.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'd also like to add that I've witnessed NT's flip out worse than NF's on this forum and at INTPc. Several of the NT's have expressed hissy fit, whiny, bratty baby like behavior which I must admit came as a shock to me at the time.