• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Im a 7w8, but what about my instinctual variant? (Video)

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
This is a video of me talking about being a type 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6FH3tnqVE

I'm stumped, however, when it comes to the sx/so/sp thing. I always get sx/so, because when it comes to questions like, are you assertive? passionate, aggressive etc i always answer 'this is me', lol. I get Sp last, because when it comes to questions like, 'are you withdrawn'? I answer 'no'. When it comes to the descriptions, I really don't relate to any of it. I'm not relationship focused like an Sx, i'm not people pleasing like an So, nor am i withdrawn like an Sp.

Based on what you've seen in my video, how would you type me?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So != people pleasing

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20943]Ozones[/MENTION] Girl, you are such a 7w8! :D I love that you have a great understanding of both that and your MBTI too! :hifive: I'm going to say So/Sx for you based on your video because of the awareness of social propriety you mentioned.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20943]Ozones[/MENTION] Girl, you are such a 7w8! :D I love that you have a great understanding of both that and your MBTI too! :hifive: I'm going to say So/Sx for you based on your video because of the awareness of social propriety you mentioned.

+1,000! :rock:
Great video, very genuine.
7w8 so/sx poster child you are! :hifive:

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Can you guys possibly link me to a good description of So/Sx so i can see if it sounds like me? I have a hard time believing I'm So first as I'm not people focused at ALL, and I'm not concerned with the things that So first people are preoccupied with. [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION]

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20943]Ozones[/MENTION] In truth, your video doesn't give much to go on instinct-wise. It confirms your Enneagram type largely, but you didn't really talk about much that would give strong grounds for any of the variants. Social was the only one that really came up in the story when you laughed and realized immediately it was inappropriate-- but even that isn't enough to go on really.

Here are some basic indicators:

Social Instinct
- Aware of social dynamics and hierarchy, priority is put on building community. Somewhere I read that upon entering a room, So-first individuals can pretty easily see these things: Who knows who, where the social power is, who are the loaners, and how to get involved.
- Focus is outward. Anytime I've sat across a table from a Social first individual, they continuously look around and don't connect as deeply towards me as I would.

Self Protective Instinct
- Aware of security and personal comfort, priority is put on furthering the self. SP first individuals are attuned to smells, sounds, and environment. This also includes things like finances, job security, and basic skills-- they are on top of their stuff in order to further their own existence.

Sexual Instinct
- Aware of intensity of experience and intimacy with individuals, priority is on feeling alive. Sx first folks seek to merge or fill themselves with intensity and generally seek one-on-one relationships over larger social endeavors. I've read quite a few times to make note though, that most people prefer one-on-one relationships so it's the intensity of intimacy that marks an Sx first individual.

You can find longer descriptions here .

Speaking specifically about 7 instinctual variants might help you more, as it obviously makes a bit of a difference. Here's what Naranjo says about that:

SX-7 - Heavenly. Glutton for things of the higher world. Dreamer. Passion to imagine something better than [stark] reality, to embellish reality. Looking at all things with optimism of someone who's in love. Too enthusiastic. NN to go for the sweetness of the imagined over ordinary reality. Need to fantasize. Rose-colored spectacles. Oral optimistic character (I think this was a Freudian reference). "I'm OK, You're OK" - which is a therapeutic theme for anyone but a 7.

SO-7 - pure, too pure, counter-gluttony, concerned about diet, image, etc (new age fashion culture an example). "I will define myself anti-pig". They sacrifice gluttony - it's the postponement of desires for the ideal. Have gluttony for recognition of their sacrifice. Want to be seen as very, very good. Trying to be good according to social consensus. Goodness for applause. Reach ideal of perfection, but it's not innate perfectionism, it's efforted.

SP-7 - Keeper of the castle, makes alliances, family oriented, but not in the real sense of the word. The family game can be played anywhere - "I'll be family with you and expect same of you; we band together to create a mafia." Partisanship, corruption. Self-interest is behind the alliance, but it's denied. Opportunistic. Has to make every experience into an advantage. Gluttony is excessive concern for self-preservation so they make deals at every possible opportunity. There is no conversation that doesn't lead to business - nose is always in the air for opportunity.

That info comes from an audio recording of him speaking (that I listened to on Youtube once, but now can't find :doh:), the notes from it can be found here though.

Thoughts? Where are you at?

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] thanks for posting those descriptions. Im still undecided, though, as none of them really resonate with me. I guess for now im variant-less lol.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally I think people should find out their instinctual variant before settling on a type because there is so much differentiation between each subtype and often times people type themselves by the traits as opposed to the core fear. The thing is, how are you supposed to type yourself by the core fear when often times, those are the very fears we suppress and are unconscious?.

Just a thought.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally I think people should find out their instinctual variant before settling on a type because there is so much differentiation between each subtype and often times people type themselves by the traits as opposed to the core fear. The thing is, how are you supposed to type yourself by the core fear when often times, those are the very fears we suppress and are unconscious?.

Just a thought.

+1 That's a pretty good thought there.