• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP or INFP?

L

LadyLazarus

I must say that after doing some reading up on the functions,I'm pretty sure I'm Fi dominant.

However,I cannot distinguish between Se or Ne in regards to my auxiliary function.

How exactly would each manifest themselves in each type respectively?
That is to say,how would one be able to identify an INFP from an ISFP,and vice-versa?

Illustrative examples within the context of day to day life(behavioral patterns,speech patterns,etc.)as well as a comparison of the two functions in question would be much appreciated.

As would input on my type overall.

Solar Plexus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I think too much emphasis is placed on cognitive functions without giving enough recognition to the individual preferences, as far as mbti goes. I mean, when a test is administered, the questions seem to be more aimed at the four dichotomies than Jung's eight functions.

Do you relate more to Sensing or Intuition?

L

LadyLazarus

Sometimes I think too much emphasis is placed on cognitive functions without giving enough recognition to the individual preferences, as far as mbti goes. I mean, when a test is administered, the questions seem to be more aimed at the four dichotomies than Jung's eight functions.

Do you relate more to Sensing or Intuition?

I have noticed that about the tests too;I find it makes the results too predictable.

Well,I feel I relate to intuition more than sensing as I only seem to become really Se impulsive under stress,as well as not being very aware of details and feeling a bit detached from the world at times.

At the same time,I'm not sure I can see the big picture?

Solar Plexus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have noticed that about the tests too;I find it makes the results too predictable.

Well,I feel I relate to intuition more than sensing as I only seem to become really Se impulsive under stress,as well as not being very aware of details and feeling a bit detached from the world at times.

Then I would say you are more INFP. Maybe I'm not the best authority on typology, but if there seems to be a clash between functions and preferences, I go with the preferences. It's all theory anyway; but it doesn't seem to make much sense to identify as one of the 16 types based on the order of functions if a person doesn't actually have a preference for each of the corresponding dichotomies. Does that make sense? I mean, if you clearly identify more with Intuition than Sensing, then I would go with that. How does one even determine which functions are actually more prevalent in their thinking, as far as dominant, auxiliary, inferior? What criteria is used to determine which takes precedence over another, aside from the predetermined order associated with each mbti type? I'm sure the degree that functions manifest in a person may vary somewhat depending on enneagram type, as well. None of it is hard science, so when it comes to gray areas in these models, I tend to stick with the most easily identifiable markers for whatever purpose they may serve.

L

LadyLazarus

Then I would say you are more INFP. Maybe I'm not the best authority on typology, but if there seems to be a clash between functions and preferences, I go with the preferences. It's all theory anyway; but it doesn't seem to make much sense to identify as one of the 16 types based on the order of functions if a person doesn't actually have a preference for each of the corresponding dichotomies. Does that make sense? I mean, if you clearly identify more with Intuition than Sensing, then I would go with that. How does one even determine which functions are actually more prevalent in their thinking, as far as dominant, auxiliary, inferior? What criteria is used to determine which takes precedence over another, aside from the predetermined order associated with each mbti type. I'm sure the degree that functions manifest in a person may vary somewhat depending on enneagram type, as well. None of it is hard science, so when it comes to gray areas in these models, I tend to stick with the most easily identifiable markers for whatever purpose it may serve.

If I'm understanding you correctly,you are saying that the sixteen types do no encompass individuals who for example,might use both Fi and Fe?

Yes,I have thought about the pre-packaged sort of feel the types seem to possess,as well.

Hmm,I will give this method some thought,your insight is appreciated.

Solar Plexus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If I'm understanding you correctly,you are saying that the sixteen types do no encompass individuals who for example,might use both Fi and Fe?

Yes,I have thought about the pre-packaged sort of feel the types seem to possess,as well.

Hmm,I will give this method some thought,your insight is appreciated.

Yes, there are some people who feel they use both Fe and Fi a great deal, however accurate or inaccurate they may be. Unless I just have a completely distorted understanding of typology. Some of it seems a bit too rigid, which is why I think there are so many people who mistype themselves. They try to fit perfectly into every possible label and if they don't, they change their type. This forum seems to focus almost exclusively on functions and rarely addresses individual preferences. And when enneatype is included in the equation, you get drastically different results among people of the same type.

I've never questioned my type because each of my preferences tend to be extreme at one end of the spectrum. Even if I didn't think the cognitive functions aligned correctly with my type, I wouldn't question which of the dichotomies I prefer because they are rather pronounced. Ultimately, if I found the model to be too inconsistent, I would abandon it altogether.

Jstrazz

MBTI Type
IxTJ
Enneagram
1w2

I would agree with [MENTION=9453]solar[/MENTION]_Plexus in that the cognitive functions almost always result from one already knowing their type.

The differences between INFPs and ISFPs, from my experience, are that INFPs tend to be more people-pleasing and more likely to be perfectionists whereas ISFPs tend to not care what people think as much and care more about individuality. To simplify things, the INFP, as the counselor, takes on a more giving personality than the ISFP who, as the artist, is more interested in expressing him/herself. This is not to say the ISFP isn't sweet or giving or that the INFP is a drone. How do you see yourself?

S

Stansmith

I would agree with [MENTION=9453]solar[/MENTION]_Plexus in that the cognitive functions almost always result from one already knowing their type.

The differences between INFPs and ISFPs, from my experience, are that INFPs tend to be more people-pleasing and more likely to be perfectionists whereas ISFPs tend to not care what people think as much and care more about individuality. To simplify things, the INFP, as the counselor, takes on a more giving personality than the ISFP who, as the artist, is more interested in expressing him/herself. This is not to say the ISFP isn't sweet or giving or that the INFP is a drone. How do you see yourself?

I think there's a decent amount of both among the two personality types; in fact, the perception is often the opposite of what you described, at least in terms of individuality and self-forgetfulness. ISFPs also seem more likely to be 9s than INFPs are, if that tells you anything.

L

LadyLazarus

I think there's a decent amount of both among the two personality types; in fact, the perception is often the opposite of what you described, at least in terms of individuality and self-forgetfulness. ISFPs also seem more likely to be 9s than INFPs are, if that tells you anything.

Yes,I've noticed sometimes ISFP's can have a sort of "conforming to non-conformity" sort of attitude going on.I feel like Ne can make an INFP a bit more individualistic as they do not wield Se,which would make them less aware of their environment, and when combined with Fi,gives them less perception when it comes to how others see them.

L

LadyLazarus

I see myself as in between both;when it comes to most people I am not concerned.However when it comes to people I am close to,I want to protect and be the best person I can possibly be for them.I see myself as a perfectionist in that respect,I want to be the person I know I can be.