• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP? The Eternal Dilemma

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
I have a conundrum that has been driving me insane for the past week or so.

What distinguishes an Ne-dominant from a Ti-dominant? And how introverted can an ENTP seem? Because I was behaving like an absolute loner today (although, I think my social anxiety is reprehensible for this). I felt as if my brain had shut down, I also became passively misanthropic, I felt as if I am invisible and devoid of purpose. I kept wandering around the high school campus like a shadowy wraith in a graveyard.

I'm very hypersensitive in social situations, if that's the right word. I often feel as if I'm on an invisible pedestal or stage and everyone in the room is watching me. This is one reason why I can be really socially anxious. I also care about how other people perceive me. I'm also very nostalgic. When I reminisce about the past, I feel these mysterious bodily sensations and sometimes catch a fragment of a song playing simultaneously.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an ENP and I have moments like these a lot too, and I'm a total extrovert. I don't see how being devoid of purpose is more of an introverted quality, but behaving a loner, becoming pseudo-misanthropic, I relate to having moments like that. A lot of the time they aren't really even caused by anything external, but some sort of rupturing on the inside that's hard to explain - maybe it's the inner sense of emptiness that 7s feel. :shrug:

Maybe ENPs need more time alone with their thoughts because we're N-dominant - it really sucks when you have some sort of Nish realization and then one of your friends cuts you off to talk about something else or they think your idea is pointless or stupid. :alttongue:

Edit: Hmm, well if you really do have social anxiety then that could explain your hypersensitivity to social situations. I am pretty socially anxious as a social 7 and I have a desire for social ease (Maitri), but it's not as apparent to others. I'm nostalgic and sentimental in the way you described, songs from a while ago bringing back certain feelings, memories of a certain place from my childhood bringing back certain smells, etc.

I think most people tend to go back and forth between extroverted and introverted moments (not cognitively, but socially).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I learned the rule of thumb a long time ago that if you're waffling between ENP and INP, you're ENP.

But to be more exact, the real difference would be whether you lead with N and follow with T (ENTP) or whether you lead with T and follow with N (INTP). Do you take in gobs of information first, then check them out for validity, or do you look at everything with a critical eye, then expand outward into possibilities?

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Can you provide an example? I usually take in the information, repeat it mentally or verbally in order to summarize it, inquire for explicit details and then think about its impact (the last two steps can be interchangeable or even simultaneous). I tend to jump into conclusions pretty quickly, only to change my mind a minute later. I can be very gullible sometimes because of my "anything is possible" mental approach. I am only critical with pieces of information that resemble pieces of information I have already been acquainted with in the past.

I tend to employ cynicism in my humorous ventures but I actually dislike cynicism. I prefer waiting and speculating to making quick judgements. It really irks me whenever a new idea is introduced and people immediately start assaulting it with a critical eye. Just wait and see what happens, damnit! Then, you can judge all you want. However, at times, I can be extremely cynical and pessimistic, especially in the company of my parents (their ideas tend to be detrimental for me).

By the way, I have an INTJ friend who's quite sociable. He can socialize much better than I can.

I think I tend to be reclusive and aloof because I'm afraid of people judging me. I'm recalling my early adolescent years. It's not that I don't want to meet new people. I'm just apprehensive about meeting them.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have a conundrum that has been driving me insane for the past week or so.

What distinguishes an Ne-dominant from a Ti-dominant? And how introverted can an ENTP seem? Because I was behaving like an absolute loner today (although, I think my social anxiety is reprehensible for this). I felt as if my brain had shut down, I also became passively misanthropic, I felt as if I am invisible and devoid of purpose. I kept wandering around the high school campus like a shadowy wraith in a graveyard.

I'm very hypersensitive in social situations, if that's the right word. I often feel as if I'm on an invisible pedestal or stage and everyone in the room is watching me. This is one reason why I can be really socially anxious. I also care about how other people perceive me. I'm also very nostalgic. When I reminisce about the past, I feel these mysterious bodily sensations and sometimes catch a fragment of a song playing simultaneously.

If you have to dissect everything down to the cellular level, you might be an INTP.
If you often get into arguments over semantics, you might be an INTP.

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I don't buy this "If you use 'Ne' more than 'Ti'" or "If you intuit more than you think" you are an ENTP crap. It's crap. You are an extrovert if you are an extrovert and you are an introvert if you are an introvert. That's the way I see it anyway. Don't overthink it, and definitely don't take the functions too literally. If you do, you will end up going down rabbit holes and looping around in circles, unsure of your type. The fact is that your type code is supposed to hit on what is most characteristic of you MOST of the time. The only person it helps is you after all; why go after a type that doesn't really describe you? You're not going to find 1 out of 16 boxes to perfectly fit you like a glove anyway. If someone was 100% of every letter, they'd be nuts. They would be a caricature, not a person. Especially when it comes to I/E (the least important letter in my opinion), there are such things as ambiverts you know. You might be one. Or you might just be an introvert who sometimes acts more extroverted or vice versa. So I say, call yourself whatever feels most comfortable. Be it INTP, ENTP or even ANTP. But then, I don't worship Jung or follow function dogma the way some people do. I find the system works best when you actually make it so that the 4 letters you have are the closest matches to how you are most of the time. So what I would do is take a breather, go back to the fundamentals, and ask yourself which of these sets describes you better most of the time:

- I am seen as “outgoing” or as a “people person.”
- I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
- I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
- I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
- Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

OR

- I am seen as “reflective” or “reserved.”
- I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
- I prefer to know just a few people well.
- I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
- I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

If the first, ENTP. If the second, INTP. I really think the system is a lot more reliable if you treat it as that simple.

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
I identify with both the descriptions. I think I'm an extrovert with social issues, but then I also enjoy solitude at times..
For the past three years, I have been identifying myself as an ambivert.
So, which type does my way of taking in information resonate with?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, you are struggling not to understand the external theory, but to identify your own internal characteristics, which would, to me, indicate E over I.

I tend to jump into conclusions pretty quickly, only to change my mind a minute later. I can be very gullible sometimes because of my "anything is possible" mental approach. I am only critical with pieces of information that resemble pieces of information I have already been acquainted with in the past.

I tend to employ cynicism in my humorous ventures but I actually dislike cynicism. I prefer waiting and speculating to making quick judgements. It really irks me whenever a new idea is introduced and people immediately start assaulting it with a critical eye. Just wait and see what happens, damnit! Then, you can judge all you want. However, at times, I can be extremely cynical and pessimistic, especially in the company of my parents (their ideas tend to be detrimental for me).

This sounds more ENTP to me - being more engaged with the external before retreating into the mind to examine it.

It's not that I don't want to meet new people. I'm just apprehensive about meeting them.

Yes, you sound overall ENTP to me.

In general ENTPs have a more exploratory outlook, while INTPs have a more intensely logical one. Both of course are keen to watertightness of logic, but ENTP is more focused on using their logic to innovate and discover the novel, while INTP is more into breaking systems down, analyzing them, and rebuilding them to be better. ENTPs are more get-up-and-go while INTPs are more driven. ENTPs are more enterprising while INTPs are more perseverant. ENTPs prioritize getting their ideas out into the world. INTPs prioritize perfecting what they're working on.

[MENTION=20541]Debaser[/MENTION], while I agree with most of your points, I think it's odd to refer to utilizing function theory as "dogma" and "worship" - what makes it so different from the MBTI? As far as I see it function theory is just another tool to be employed as far as it is useful. And at least in the case of INxP versus ENxP the N<T/F or J>T/F pattern seems to hold very true. If MasterOfAwesome identifies himself as an ambivert and desires to choose either I or E, but has not yet found a discriminating line, it seems reasonable to approach the question from another angle.

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Well, you are struggling not to understand the external theory, but to identify your own internal characteristics, which would, to me, indicate E over I.

This sounds more ENTP to me - being more engaged with the external before retreating into the mind to examine it.

Yes, you sound overall ENTP to me.

In general ENTPs have a more exploratory outlook, while INTPs have a more intensely logical one. Both of course are keen to watertightness of logic, but ENTP is more focused on using their logic to innovate and discover the novel, while INTP is more into breaking systems down, analyzing them, and rebuilding them to be better. ENTPs are more get-up-and-go while INTPs are more driven. ENTPs are more enterprising while INTPs are more perseverant. ENTPs prioritize getting their ideas out into the world. INTPs prioritize perfecting what they're working on.

[MENTION=20541]Debaser[/MENTION], while I agree with most of your points, I think it's odd to refer to utilizing function theory as "dogma" and "worship" - what makes it so different from the MBTI? As far as I see it function theory is just another tool to be employed as far as it is useful. And at least in the case of INxP versus ENxP the N<T/F or J>T/F pattern seems to hold very true. If MasterOfAwesome identifies himself as an ambivert and desires to choose either I or E, but has not yet found a discriminating line, it seems reasonable to approach the question from another angle.

Alright, thank you for your assistance!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Alright, thank you for your assistance!

You're welcome! I would encourage you to continue doing more of your own research, but I rest assured that as an NTP you will be doing so anyway. :)

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ
It's not true in my case, [MENTION=20464]MasterOfAwesome[/MENTION]. If I judged more than I perceived, I would be a J. The fact is there is no way of measuring whether one uses "more N" or "more T" unless you are talking about the strength of that person's preference. For instance, the difference between my preference for intuition over sensing is greater than that between my preference for thinking over feeling. Yet I definitely prefer N and T, and I am also an introvert with a strong preference for P over J. Therefore I am INTP. The fact that my N preference is higher than my T preference does not change that.

And I'll tell you what my problem with the functions is: They are not supposed to be used as a typing method. They are to be used to look under the hood after you find your type and possibly explain how you work, not to find your type in the first place. The functions are nothing more than symbols that are supposed to explain theoretical motives for behavior. They do not actually manifest as distinct behaviors, as one would have you believe when he says something ridiculous like he "uses" Ne as if it were some kind of tool he had conscious access to. No, he doesn't. You don't "use" functions like that. If anything, they are the things running in the background and they all work together to form a type. They aren't separate tools you draw out and use individually, not things you use "more" or "less" of. You think when the situation calls for it, sense when it calls for it, etc.

As if boxing yourself into 1 of 16 4-letter types doesn't leave enough margin of error, there is no way you are going to be able to find yourself perfectly and rigidly matching up with a distinct line of 4 abstract cognitive functions in a deadlocked "order." If it were that simple, then I as an INTP could never do anything attributed to the "Se" function because I don't "have" it. But that's not what it means and it's not how it works. The functions are often taken too literally and seen as more than what they are. So you understand that my problem is not with function theory itself so much as its misuse. (Though I am skeptical about the reliability of function theory itself, I do believe it can be useful when taken for what it is and nothing more.)

My point is that if the OP is an ambivert, that's what he is. If he's an introvert, that's what he is. And he shouldn't feel that is wrong because it isn't perfectly consistent with a strict interpretation of function theory that cannot possibly be perfectly consistent for the billions of people on Earth. It's a SELF-improvement tool after all. So if it doesn't work for the self, what good is it for?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And I'll tell you what my problem with the functions is: They are not supposed to be used as a typing method. They are to be used to look under the hood after you find your type and possibly explain how you work, not to find your type in the first place. The functions are nothing more than symbols that are supposed to explain theoretical motives for behavior. They do not actually manifest as distinct behaviors, as one would have you believe when he says something ridiculous like he "uses" Ne as if it were some kind of tool he had conscious access to. No, he doesn't. You don't "use" functions like that. If anything, they are the things running in the background and they all work together to form a type. They aren't separate tools you draw out and use individually, not things you use "more" or "less" of. You think when the situation calls for it, sense when it calls for it, etc.

Of course they do not manifest as behaviors; I do not think any personality student worth their salt would argue that. When one says "uses", they mean "employs that pattern of thinking". It may very well not be a conscious choice, but it may also very well be identifiable. If a person tends to think more along the lines of expansive metaphor than symbolic distillation, one would "use more Ne than Ni". I do not think it is particularly hard to identify those two patterns.

As if boxing yourself into 1 of 16 4-letter types doesn't leave enough margin of error, there is no way you are going to be able to find yourself perfectly and rigidly matching up with a distinct line of 4 abstract cognitive functions in a deadlocked "order." If it were that simple, then I as an INTP could never do anything attributed to the "Se" function because I don't "have" it. But that's not what it means and it's not how it works. The functions are often taken too literally and seen as more than what they are. So you understand that my problem is not with function theory itself so much as its misuse. (Though I am skeptical about the reliability of function theory itself, I do believe it can be useful when taken for what it is and nothing more.)

I would not be in the camp of those who believe you don't have/use Se as an INTP. Again, it's just a pattern of thinking you employ. S indicates concrete focus; e indicates external to the mind. Are you focusing on concrete things outside the mind? You are "using" Se. To me function theory does not seem particularly more strict than the MBTI, just having a richer structure behind it.

As for the "strictness" - the order is not about relative usage, but "role". The first function will serve as the leader; the second as its helper. It does not matter which function one uses more frequently or with more skill, though both will typically be the case. For an INTP, Ti will lead and Ne will help/guide, hence greater focus on logic. For an ENTP, Ne will lead, and Ti will help/guide, hence greater focus on outward innovation. I assume you will probably not be fond of the leading/helping terminology either, but it is metaphorical for processes augmenting one another. The rest of the functions fall into place following the first based again on role, not on skill or frequency. So the "strict order" that many perceive is not truly a strict order at all, just a theorized system of cognitive balance based on Jungian archetypes. Here is [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION]'s page explaining those relations in greater depth. The reliability of the whole thing is questionable, but that is what a theory is, after all. If it was 100% true we'd just call it reality and be done with it.

I guess I just find it funny that you are so hard on what is just another theory. Again it seems to me like if MoA desires more self-insight, he shouldn't be bound by what should properly be used or not. He should use whatever works. Looking at things through a different lens can give a clearer perspective. If he wants to identify as ENTP and TiNe, or like you as INTP and NeTi, it doesn't matter to me. Like you said, it's really all up to whether it works for him or not.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't buy this "If you use 'Ne' more than 'Ti'" or "If you intuit more than you think" you are an ENTP crap. It's crap. You are an extrovert if you are an extrovert and you are an introvert if you are an introvert. That's the way I see it anyway. Don't overthink it, and definitely don't take the functions too literally. If you do, you will end up going down rabbit holes and looping around in circles, unsure of your type. The fact is that your type code is supposed to hit on what is most characteristic of you MOST of the time. The only person it helps is you after all; why go after a type that doesn't really describe you? You're not going to find 1 out of 16 boxes to perfectly fit you like a glove anyway. If someone was 100% of every letter, they'd be nuts. They would be a caricature, not a person. Especially when it comes to I/E (the least important letter in my opinion), there are such things as ambiverts you know. You might be one. Or you might just be an introvert who sometimes acts more extroverted or vice versa. So I say, call yourself whatever feels most comfortable. Be it INTP, ENTP or even ANTP. But then, I don't worship Jung or follow function dogma the way some people do. I find the system works best when you actually make it so that the 4 letters you have are the closest matches to how you are most of the time. So what I would do is take a breather, go back to the fundamentals, and ask yourself which of these sets describes you better most of the time:

- I am seen as “outgoing” or as a “people person.”
- I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
- I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
- I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
- Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

OR

- I am seen as “reflective” or “reserved.”
- I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
- I prefer to know just a few people well.
- I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
- I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

If the first, ENTP. If the second, INTP. I really think the system is a lot more reliable if you treat it as that simple.

Not that simple for everyone... Not for me. Guess we do need to introduce A besides E and I :p

It's not true in my case, [MENTION=20464]MasterOfAwesome[/MENTION]. If I judged more than I perceived, I would be a J. The fact is there is no way of measuring whether one uses "more N" or "more T" unless you are talking about the strength of that person's preference. For instance, the difference between my preference for intuition over sensing is greater than that between my preference for thinking over feeling. Yet I definitely prefer N and T, and I am also an introvert with a strong preference for P over J. Therefore I am INTP. The fact that my N preference is higher than my T preference does not change that.

My point is that if the OP is an ambivert, that's what he is. If he's an introvert, that's what he is. And he shouldn't feel that is wrong because it isn't perfectly consistent with a strict interpretation of function theory that cannot possibly be perfectly consistent for the billions of people on Earth. It's a SELF-improvement tool after all. So if it doesn't work for the self, what good is it for?

You sound like you'd be happier with socionics than with mbti functions :D :p

INTp there uses Se, quite preferred :p

Anyway just as others said, I don't get why you think the letter preferences are any better than function preferences. It's somewhat simpler yes, though trust me it doesn't mean that I can easily decide my letters. Someone may have trouble with functions more than with the dichotomies (letters) and someone may be having the opposite issue. Example, I can more easily see Ti than Te in myself than whether I'm I or E. You see yourself as INTP easily but you have a problem with INTP's MBTI functions. That's okay, the dichotomies are not 100% correlated with the functions. Thus, J/P preference will not tell you what functions you have. E.g. one can be an INTJ and still prefer Ti over Ni or Te, etc etc.

That's a nice way to put things... Have you ever seen anyone though who *switches* between which "mode" they are more into at a given moment? Modes of INTP and ENTP (or other type pair with I/E difference)

Alea_iacta_est

INTPs are rational types, ENTPs are irrational types.

A rational type is one that has a judging function first: Te, Ti, Fe, Fi.
An irrational type is one that has a perceiving function first: Ni, Ne, Si, Se
(The reason for this is actually because MBTI wanted to make j/p an organized/sporadic dichotomy rather than a rational/irrational dichotomy, and that's why Socionics's INTp is correlated with INTJ in MBTI, because having Ni as your dominant function makes you a perceiving and irrational type)

If you process more information and see more possibilities and connections more than you attempt to understand concepts, you're probably an ENTP. On the flip side, if you are more focused on understanding concepts than seeing possibilities, you're probably an INTP.

Also, take a look at this highly theoretical but interesting work on each 4 type's thinking styles. It's on a Socionics forum and it is Gulenko, but it might still apply to MBTI types. Scroll down for Casual-Determinant Cognition (number 4) (which is for ILE or ENTp/ENTP), and Holographic Cognition (number 6) (which is for LII or INTj/INTP). Might be worth a peek. Yes I realized I forgot the link.
http://forum.socionix.com/topic/3855-gulenko-cognitive-styles/

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
The main reason why I doubt I'm an ENTP (or Ne-dom for that matter) is because I do not excel at generating ideas, unless I'm provided with external stimuli. For example, if I'm included in a group of friends responsible for organizing a party and someone asks me, "So, give me some ideas", my mind will go blank. I need some sort of specification because there are so many things that are possible. I can't tell them to arrange for a syndicate of terrorists to barge in and start shooting the balloons and get the DJ to operate a sound system using electromagnetic waves, can I? What kind of ideas do you want? Anything is possible. I need some sort of background. Ask me to supply ideas just like that and I'll fail. Give me just one sentence and I can give you many ideas which will later expand to other ideas.

An ENTP is supposed to be the archetypal idea generator. I'm terrible at coming up with ideas on the spot, unless I'm given enough information. I spend more time researching and looking for patterns then I do brainstorming.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The main reason why I doubt I'm an ENTP (or Ne-dom for that matter) is because I do not excel at generating ideas, unless I'm provided with external stimuli.

Well that, I don't generate ideas even when I'm provided with stimuli. So I guess you do still have strong Ne.

For example, if I'm included in a group of friends responsible for organizing a party and someone asks me, "So, give me some ideas", my mind will go blank. I need some sort of specification because there are so many things that are possible. I can't tell them to arrange for a syndicate of terrorists to barge in and start shooting the balloons and get the DJ to operate a sound system using electromagnetic waves, can I? What kind of ideas do you want? Anything is possible. I need some sort of background. Ask me to supply ideas just like that and I'll fail. Give me just one sentence and I can give you many ideas which will later expand to other ideas.

I don't understand. Are you trying to say that you are perfectly able to come up with such crazy ideas as the example here, without any effort, just not practical ideas unless you are given information?

If you can generate many ideas from one single sentence, you've got really strong Ne.

An ENTP is supposed to be the archetypal idea generator. I'm terrible at coming up with ideas on the spot, unless I'm given enough information. I spend more time researching and looking for patterns then I do brainstorming.

Okay but when you are researching things, are you into the logical patterns more, is this what you are trying to say?

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Turns out I might just be an INTP, if I compare my functions with the descriptions of how the dominant, auxiliary, tertiary and inferior functions work together (also, taking the Beebe's model into account). Perhaps I was unconsciously developing my auxiliary function for the past month or so. The way the Beebe's model described the tertiary function is almost exactly similar to how Si functions in my case. And yet, I also resemble an ENTP in certain aspects. I'll still do more research, though.

When I research, I just absorb the information and compare it with the storehouse of information entrenched in my mind and other bits of data that randomly come to my mind. I keep making comparison of different contexts, investigating for relationships, patterns and interconnections. If I see A and B, I think about how they can be related via C and D. Don't know if that makes sense. I do get approached for my ideas and insights, but I don't identify myself in the process of brainstorming. I'm more into looking for patterns and doing lots of research. Supposedly Ne generates ideas and looks for patterns, alternative scenarios and double meanings. I do the latter very well, but I'm not so proficient in the former.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm also wrestling with the possibility that I may in fact be an extravert.

I believe I place equal priority or emphasis on finding possibilities and understanding concepts. It really depends on the day of the week.

I can't really see myself as an extraverted person socially, but others seem to see it. My boss thought I was crazy when I once told him I am shy and introverted.

Interesting people or people with interesting things to say draw me out of my cocoon.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In conversation with others, do you often find yourself saying, "that might also be taken to mean _______..." in reference to something the other person says, or are you more likely to simply think of the alternative meaning but keep it to yourself?

Also, do you display a really strong talent for clever word play and a quick wit that is easy to tap into most of the time, or is your word play/witty response something that might occur to you later and you only wish you'd thought of it during the conversation?

I think an INTP is likely to be slightly more reserved, perhaps often thinking of a million clever or intelligent things they could've said but didn't during a conversation, whereas an ENTP might be more likely to have that arsenal of words ready to go, on the spot.