• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I A Thinker Or A Feeler?

kikat

I've been studying the MBTI for years and none of the descriptions seem to fit me. I've come to realize that I am an intuitive; however the feeling/thinking factor still seems to elude me. To others I come across as frank, brutally honest, competitive, opinionated, and confrontational. On a different note, I can also come across as warm, and enthusiastic and I've stretch my neck out for others. For example, at work I found out that a co-worker didn't get anything for Christmas, so I got everyone to surprise her with a piece of jewelry that I knew she wanted at out store. So, some may say I have a big heart; others think I'm mean. I don't mean to say things out of spite though. Half the time I don't realize I've hurt someone's feelings and if I have, I'm quick to apologize to make things right.
I was a teacher and I loved teaching children and connecting with them on a personal level; however I didn't get along with the teachers. I refused to do things that I didn't agree with and and a result, I alienated myself from others. Currently, I work in a retail store and I like it. I love helping people find things to decorate their home and making them happy. However, I have alienated some co-workers with my frank nature. Another thing that may go against being a 'thinker' is that I am a strong animal cruelty advocate. I am a vegan and I am appalled by the way that animals are treated in factory farms. Give me one thing to cry about and it is watching an undercover abuse video. Other than that, I have dry eyes and I am not really emphatic with people. I get very uncomfortable. Oh, I also volunteer at a animal shelter and I give medicine to sick animals. My husband says that I only seem to have empathy for animals, and maybe he's right.
I also hate chitchat. I hate going out and socializing with people-even family gatherings bore me. However, I'm not shy. It's just I'd rather be at home researching whatever interests me on the computer or reading fiction. I'm constantly wanting to learn things and love to explore everything. I love problem solving as well. That being said, the math and sciences were difficult for me in school(however I will research info on arctic foxes for 2 hrs, which I did the other day). I love psychology, literature, etc. I'm very creative.I love writing fiction, photography, digital painting and design, crafts, etc.
So, is it possible to be 50/50, thinker and feeler?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi > Te

I think anyway...

and no, it wasn't obnoxiously long, don't worry

B

brainheart

I know you said you realized you're an intuitive but I'm wondering if you're an ISFP 6w5 sp/sx.

kikat

So, a feeling preference over thinking? That's what I'm getting from your response. I must have a VERY strong Te then.

kikat

I know you said you realized you're an intuitive but I'm wondering if you're an ISFP 6w5 sp/sx.

No way. I'm way too opinionated and in your face to be an ISFP. My husband is an ISFJ and I wear the pants in the family. I think I'm an intuitive because I'm very creative, I can't stay in the present moment, and I think about the future all the time. I also am very intuitive with people as well. I'm very good at reading situations and I tend to predict things before they are said (or happen). I'm absentminded. Can't remember details to save my life. I'm one of those people with my head in the clouds, constantly. I do have a strong aesthetic side as well though. That is indicative of my hobbies, but overall I think I'm an intuitive. I think?

B

brainheart

If you know you're strong Te, why are you asking?

XXTJ?

What do you get on cognitive function tests?

ENTJ?

kikat

If you know you're strong Te, why are you asking?

XXTJ?

What do you get on cognitive function tests?

ENTJ?

Your Cognitive Functions:
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.15
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||||||| 9.39
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||| 7.58
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||| 6.69
Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||||||||||| 5.03
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||||| 4.45
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||| 3.78
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||| 1.54

I don't trust tests though. I think they tend to be subjective. I tend to get lots of different results.

See? My Te doesn't match what I get on a test.

B

brainheart

Your Cognitive Functions:
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.15
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||||||| 9.39
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||| 7.58
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||| 6.69
Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||||||||||| 5.03
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||||| 4.45
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||| 3.78
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||| 1.54

I don't trust tests though. I think they tend to be subjective. I tend to get lots of different results.

Anyone who doesn't trust tests due to their subjectivity is probably Te (maybe Ti) over Fi (but why is your Te so low?)

Just because you care about animals and like home decorating doesn't make you a 'feeler' (case in point, Martha Stewart is commonly typed as ESTJ). It took me forever to figure out my mom's mbti because she has her little niche of humanity she cares about, but I think she's an ESTJ, and I think it's more about the principle of it rather than empathy/sympathy. She's also terrible at math.

kikat

Anyone who doesn't trust tests due to their subjectivity is probably Te (maybe Ti) over Fi (but why is your Te so low?)

Just because you care about animals and like home decorating doesn't make you a 'feeler' (case in point, Martha Stewart is commonly typed as ESTJ). It took me forever to figure out my mom's mbti because she has her little niche of humanity she cares about, but I think she's an ESTJ, and I think it's more about the principle of it rather than empathy/sympathy. She's also terrible at math.

"Little nitch of humanity" That gave me a laugh. A monster! I am very nice to people, just not all people. haha
I don't know why I test low on Te. I think I readily use each, based on what I do understand. I use my Te to organize my thinking using graphs, maps, lists (however, I will lose these quite easily). Directing others about what to do, etc. Most of thinking is done aloud and I don't think before I think. I can't really give any examples of Ti because it is more of an internal process..
Honestly, I was hung up on the 'animal rights' thing and being a thinker. It's good to know that thinkers do have feelings. However, I've yet to come across a conversation on a forum where a thinker will say they don't eat meat due to factory farming abuse. Most of the time they say they don't eat meat because of health reasons or whatever.

B

brainheart

My INTP brother has been a vegetarian for over twenty years. He says it's because he doesn't like cows, but he definitely has a soft spot for wild animals. I think the idea of killing anything troubles him. He's always been big into respecting nature and the rights of other living things, and he's a pacifist.

kikat

My INTP brother has been a vegetarian for over twenty years. He says it's because he doesn't like cows, but he definitely has a soft spot for wild animals. I think the idea of killing anything troubles him. He's always been big into respecting nature and the rights of other living things, and he's a pacifist.
Me too, although I happen to like cows.:)

kikat

It's funny but I always get INTJ, INTP, ENTP or ENFP. I'd say I get INTJ most of the time, but to tell you the truth the INTJ descriptions confuse me so much. I have a hard time trying to understand the INTJ descriptions (and I have 2 master's degrees!). Too much "systems thinking" and whatnot. Plus, the only picture that comes to be is of Sheldon Cooper of The Bing Bang Theory. I am not like that. I'm not socially awkward like him, or neat, organized, etc. I'm sure that's a dramatization though.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's funny but I always get INTJ, INTP, ENTP or ENFP. I'd say I get INTJ most of the time, but to tell you the truth the INTJ descriptions confuse me so much. I have a hard time trying to understand the INTJ descriptions (and I have 2 master's degrees!). Too much "systems thinking" and whatnot. Plus, the only picture that comes to be is of Sheldon Cooper of The Bing Bang Theory. I am not like that. I'm not socially awkward like him, or neat, organized, etc. I'm sure that's a dramatization though.

Don't go by the descriptions. If I'd only went by descriptions, I'd still be mistyped. There should be a NT Misconceptions thread (if one doesn't already exist, in which case it should be a sticky) to dispel some of the common myths about NTs. I, being INTP, should be awesome at math, but it was never my favorite subject. I had to study, although once I had it, the information usually stayed in my brain--with most classes and subjects, I didn't have to study much (if at all) to memorize the data and have some basic understanding--not so with math.

Sheldon Cooper is probably the most exaggerated INTJ. Plus, there seems to be some high functioning autism with that character.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Don't go by the descriptions. If I'd only went by descriptions, I'd still be mistyped. There should be a NT Misconceptions thread (if one doesn't already exist, in which case it should be a sticky) to dispel some of the common myths about NTs. I, being INTP, should be awesome at math, but it was never my favorite subject. I had to study, although once I had it, the information usually stayed in my brain--with most classes and subjects, I didn't have to study much (if at all) to memorize the data and have some basic understanding--not so with math.

Sheldon Cooper is probably the most exaggerated INTJ. Plus, there seems to be some high functioning autism with that character.

Edit: I assumed I would always suck at math until I had a couple of really good teachers that taught it in a way that made it easier for me to understand. Most of the teachers I'd had before taught math in a way that would make it much easier for SJs and SPs to understand. I remember my ninth grade algebra teacher always used sports references and trivia to make the material easier to understand. This had the reverse effect on me (being completely uninterested in sports), and it turned me off from the material. I can't solve an equation when the only way the teacher can seem to explain it is in terms of batting averages or field goals. It's similar to trying to learn algebra in greek.

Also, there was usually a very strict, specific order math teachers wanted me to follow to reach the answer. If I intuitively found the correct answer with a different sequence of steps, the teachers still considered the answer wrong.

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ

Sheldon is actually an ISTJ. Just saying. I have never met an INTJ who is obsessed with following "traditions" and rules, and is so security-minded, ridiculously anal about the tiniest detail, cannot comprehend sarcasm, jokes or figurative/abstract language and has an encyclopedic knowledge and photographic memory that he frequently recites from word-for-word, nor one who cannot stand the slightest change in routine or try anything new. (Granted, both S and J relate to some of these things, but only when you combine the two do you get someone like Sheldon.) It fits with ISTJ, however, and it makes sense for Sheldon since he worships Spock, who is also an ISTJ. Just because he is a theoretical scientist, that doesn't automatically make him an N. The rest of his behaviors and the way he actually conducts his daily life strongly suggests S. Sheldon may actually have some form of Autism, but they tend to be rather extreme ISTJs as well. Point being that Sheldon is not a normal, healthy person regardless of his type. He is an exaggerated caricature. Not really the best way to type yourself. Then again, neither is taking functions tests (which suck) or using the functions to try to type yourself at all. The functions are not behaviors, they are symbols. Look at the basic four letters first and see which ones best characterize you most of the time.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Little nitch of humanity" That gave me a laugh. A monster! I am very nice to people, just not all people. haha
I don't know why I test low on Te. I think I readily use each, based on what I do understand. I use my Te to organize my thinking using graphs, maps, lists (however, I will lose these quite easily). Directing others about what to do, etc. Most of thinking is done aloud and I don't think before I think. I can't really give any examples of Ti because it is more of an internal process..
Honestly, I was hung up on the 'animal rights' thing and being a thinker. It's good to know that thinkers do have feelings. However, I've yet to come across a conversation on a forum where a thinker will say they don't eat meat due to factory farming abuse. Most of the time they say they don't eat meat because of health reasons or whatever.

Alright the thing about your being bad at math and sciences and a few other things made me think Fi over Te. But this is just a shallow way of analysis, so, sure you could be Te > Fi. I just think very much Te/Fi over Ti/Fe.

Have you thought about ENFP though? That test had you at ENFP and maybe it makes sense, ENFP's would have quite some Te. It's just that the stereotypical ENFP will lose the graphs after making them tehehe :p

These things are also telling (quoting from you):

"Too much "systems thinking" and whatnot." --> Not a strong T preference for you and not just in a stereotypical sense, you are actually directly showing a bit of your cognitive processing here
"I'm not socially awkward like him, or neat, organized" --> Again, not a strong T preference, in a more stereotypical sense

Also... Do you not eat meat because of health reasons then, and not due to the farming abuse?

I can't really give any examples of Ti because it is more of an internal process

Er, do you feel you have a lot of Ti too? Sure it's an internal process but, examples can still be given about it.