• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To all bored MBTI fans and Socionics fans here, what's my type? :)

badger055

Permabanned
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]
What ok fine I'm back! You have all the information you need to determine your own type. Just go read the descriptions for yourself and see what you relate to. http://www.typelogic.com/.

If you are testing as ESTP then that's probably it. Even if you mistype you will find out later that you did when you interact with people of that type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I'm sure it's normal, my point is just that it makes less sense to associate the results with a specific type.

You learned that lesson from my personality test.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]
What ok fine I'm back! You have all the information you need to determine your own type. Just go read the descriptions for yourself and see what you relate to. http://www.typelogic.com/.

If you are testing as ESTP then that's probably it. Even if you mistype you will find out later that you did when you interact with people of that type.

Hey there :p

Thanks for the link, I saw those, I'm kind of 50/50 on the descriptions. (ESTP / ISTP)

But, yeah, not much else can be said about my type at the moment

You learned that lesson from my personality test.

Uh-huh. If you mean that I didn't score terribly high for even the top two types.. ok

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So. Is there such a thing as a somewhat contemplative ESTP?

badger055

Permabanned
Well alright maybe someone can analyse the uh, communication that was happening here. Nice chance for experts to hone typology related analytical skills ;)

Was this then really a Ti - Te conflict here?

Usually when I have that kind of reaction to someone it's an ENTP. Ne loves to over complicate things and it drives me mad. If you didn't say you were into sports I would think you are an ENTP.

á´…eparted

passages
After reading through all of this, you're either ESTP, or ENTJ. I am out of practice with this, so I am not certain, but I am leaning to the latter.

You're E/I and P/J axis's are close enough that sorting them is inconsequential. It will come out naturally from the functions.

The easiest thing to eliminate F types. Fx is not in any of your top slots. You can use it if needed be, but it's something you largely disregard.

I see you on the Se/Ni axis pretty clearly. It's odd that both of them seem equally strong. It's for this reason that I lean slightly more to ENTJ. If you were ESTP I would see you expressing much more disdain and or inability to use it well, and I have seen one too many signs of it as it being taken advantage of often.

If you're ENTJ, it seems that your Se is stronger than your Ni. This isn't as odd as it may sound. It seems like a really common pattern for types to have their primary and tertiary functions squash out the secondary. To the point in some cases where secondary is rendered useless, or begins to look like a totally different function (that has happened to me). ENTJ would also put Fi as inferior, which you have largely considered inconsequential. Pretty common for Te doms.

So yeah! That's all I got.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Usually when I have that kind of reaction to someone it's an ENTP. Ne loves to over complicate things and it drives me mad. If you didn't say you were into sports I would think you are an ENTP.

:) I do test ENTP or ESTP in some dichotomy tests but I don't relate to Ne that much. Usually when I'm told I'm overcomplicating it's usually focus on logical details, in my case.

After reading through all of this, you're either ESTP, or ENTJ. I am out of practice with this, so I am not certain, but I am leaning to the latter.

You're E/I and P/J axis's are close enough that sorting them is inconsequential. It will come out naturally from the functions.

What did you see as J/P being close to each other?

The easiest thing to eliminate F types. Fx is not in any of your top slots. You can use it if needed be, but it's something you largely disregard.

Agreed

I see you on the Se/Ni axis pretty clearly. It's odd that both of them seem equally strong. It's for this reason that I lean slightly more to ENTJ. If you were ESTP I would see you expressing much more disdain and or inability to use it well, and I have seen one too many signs of it as it being taken advantage of often.

Heh I don't actually know how often I take advantage of Ni, compared to a Ni-dom for example. That would be nice to compare.

But yeah I do feel the same way about this Se/Ni thing as you say. Though I would need to differentiate Ni from Ti a bit better. Whatever I think is Ti, do you see it all as Ni?

There's some Ni things that I do view with "disdain", though. And there's some things that took me a really long time to make sense of. But most of Ni is pretty cool :)

If you're ENTJ, it seems that your Se is stronger than your Ni. This isn't as odd as it may sound. It seems like a really common pattern for types to have their primary and tertiary functions squash out the secondary. To the point in some cases where secondary is rendered useless, or begins to look like a totally different function (that has happened to me). ENTJ would also put Fi as inferior, which you have largely considered inconsequential. Pretty common for Te doms.

Hmm... and do you see Te as well?

So yeah! That's all I got.

Thanks ;)

á´…eparted

passages
What did you see as J/P being close to each other?

Agreed

Heh I don't actually know how often I take advantage of Ni, compared to a Ni-dom for example. That would be nice to compare.

But yeah I do feel the same way about this Se/Ni thing as you say. Though I would need to differentiate Ni from Ti a bit better. Whatever I think is Ti, do you see it all as Ni?

There's some Ni things that I do view with "disdain", though. And there's some things that took me a really long time to make sense of. But most of Ni is pretty cool :)

Hmm... and do you see Te as well?

Thanks ;)

You have hallmarks of both P and J and neither trumps the other. You're planned but loose, you want things exact but ok if things don't fit because it will work out. The P/J axis is determined by the functions though. Since it could go either way, it makes more sense to determine your functions first, and the P/J selection would fall into it naturally. For someone (such as myself) who has a strong direction towards P or J that can be used to eliminate certain function patterns. Since you don't it's something I pass over.

Some descriptions of Ni I actually don't relate to at all, and I am fairly certain I am an Ni dom. The reason is it's often described in this really mystical magical way and can even go so far as imply spiritual or psychic qualities associated with it. I'm a skeptic so that sort of stuff puts a sour taste in my mouth and I won't identify with it. If you can get past that, and in effect "despiritualize" what Ni is, it becomes more clear if you use it or not. It can look similar to Ti, but in reality they're quite different. Sometimes function traits can look like one thing but be another. I have a decent chunk of traits in myself that look a lot like Fe, but they are actually Te. That could be the case with you with different functions.

Yeah I see Te as well. There's a good level of solidness in you associated with it. Hard to put to words exactly. A lot of typing someone is more a process of elimination, and less so of picking the correct function.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have hallmarks of both P and J and neither trumps the other. You're planned but loose, you want things exact but ok if things don't fit because it will work out. The P/J axis is determined by the functions though. Since it could go either way, it makes more sense to determine your functions first, and the P/J selection would fall into it naturally. For someone (such as myself) who has a strong direction towards P or J that can be used to eliminate certain function patterns. Since you don't it's something I pass over.

Ahh, ok, I see what you mean. That about me being planned but loose, I am actually a lot more loose :/ I make a plan and then deviate from it to a degree based on what the environment offers me :p. It's got its drawbacks, being so impulsive. Sometimes it's all good though :)

Some descriptions of Ni I actually don't relate to at all, and I am fairly certain I am an Ni dom. The reason is it's often described in this really mystical magical way and can even go so far as imply spiritual or psychic qualities associated with it. I'm a skeptic so that sort of stuff puts a sour taste in my mouth and I won't identify with it. If you can get past that, and in effect "despiritualize" what Ni is, it becomes more clear if you use it or not. It can look similar to Ti, but in reality they're quite different.

What would you say the difference is between Ni and Ti then?

Actually I do like the spiritual aspect of Ni, but true, this is a mixed bag. Some of it so totally doesn't make sense that I do the "disdain" thing with it ;) The part that's "despiritualized", that's fine, in theory anyway. In practice, it means I would have to go back into my head to process things in a Ni way, and that actually isn't what I want in many situations. I mean, I'm sure it would be useful but cognitively I don't "want" it. It all depends on the environment, if it doesn't have something for me I will be quite happy to go inside my mind instead. (And that's what ESTPs don't do, right? :p) Possibly this is just me being an extravert, though.

Sometimes function traits can look like one thing but be another. I have a decent chunk of traits in myself that look a lot like Fe, but they are actually Te. That could be the case with you with different functions.

Can you give some examples of this Fe-ish thing that is actually Te for you?

Yeah I see Te as well. There's a good level of solidness in you associated with it. Hard to put to words exactly. A lot of typing someone is more a process of elimination, and less so of picking the correct function.

I see. I do prefer it though if I can directly pick the correct function, not just eliminate the no-good ones :)

As for the "solid" Te, I'm not really disagreeing that much :)

á´…eparted

passages
Ahh, ok, I see what you mean. That about me being planned but loose, I am actually a lot more loose :/ I make a plan and then deviate from it to a degree based on what the environment offers me :p. It's got its drawbacks, being so impulsive. Sometimes it's all good though :)

What would you say the difference is between Ni and Ti then?

Actually I do like the spiritual aspect of Ni, but true, this is a mixed bag. Some of it so totally doesn't make sense that I do the "disdain" thing with it ;) The part that's "despiritualized", that's fine, in theory anyway. In practice, it means I would have to go back into my head to process things in a Ni way, and that actually isn't what I want in many situations. I mean, I'm sure it would be useful but cognitively I don't "want" it. It all depends on the environment, if it doesn't have something for me I will be quite happy to go inside my mind instead. (And that's what ESTPs don't do, right? :p) Possibly this is just me being an extravert, though.

Can you give some examples of this Fe-ish thing that is actually Te for you?

I see. I do prefer it though if I can directly pick the correct function, not just eliminate the no-good ones :)

As for the "solid" Te, I'm not really disagreeing that much :)

Ni is about considering streams of information, Ti is about actually picking it apart and refining it down. The seem similar on the surface, but Ti is paired with Se or Ne, and as such that information will be expanded upon quite a lot and back and forth Ti is much more detailed oriented and making sure information streams are precise. Ni is not big on preciceness. It's passed with Fe or Te which compares that information to external stores to see what matches.

Well, I care about group harmony a lot. In groups I want everyone to get along, and in a perfect world, be friends. It does make me uncomfortable if there is tension or if people don't mix. However, the latter bothers me for personal reasons, not because of others. Ultimately, I want the group to get along because it the most efficient and logical way to be. It simply makes sense, and because of that I am very calculated with setting that.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni is about considering streams of information, Ti is about actually picking it apart and refining it down. The seem similar on the surface, but Ti is paired with Se or Ne, and as such that information will be expanded upon quite a lot and back and forth Ti is much more detailed oriented and making sure information streams are precise. Ni is not big on preciceness. It's passed with Fe or Te which compares that information to external stores to see what matches.

Uhh I guess I don't do much about streams of information then. Is that more characteristic of Ni doms as compared to Ni auxes?

I nitpick in the Ti way easily. Pick shit apart. I like preciseness of concepts. However I also like to "see" deep and I thought that was the Ni part. My internal mind is really weird sometimes and I can only describe it as a mix of Ti and Ni in the background :). Or sometimes it's Ti in the background :) And I don't know what else. A lot of shit surfaces at times. :p

Well, I care about group harmony a lot. In groups I want everyone to get along, and in a perfect world, be friends. It does make me uncomfortable if there is tension or if people don't mix. However, the latter bothers me for personal reasons, not because of others. Ultimately, I want the group to get along because it the most efficient and logical way to be. It simply makes sense, and because of that I am very calculated with setting that.

I don't really understand the idea about people getting along == efficient and logical. To me people getting along is just a good thing, Feeling-wise. As long as I am in the mood to care :p Sometimes I do care.

I cannot begin to understand how some people - like you - try to make sense of feelings in a logical way. (I'm not saying that's bad or anything of course.) I mean I can do it in the setting of a detached psychological theory and I do enjoy analysis there but not in real life. In real life, feelings and emotions just "are". The most I do is determine their source and that's easy usually. So really I don't do a lot of analysis of feelings and/or emotions.

Btw what you described is also a bit reminiscent of Ti-lead / Fe-suggestive in Socionics right? :) I guess our Socionics types differ so that could explain this too.

á´…eparted

passages
Uhh I guess I don't do much about streams of information then. Is that more characteristic of Ni doms as compared to Ni auxes?

I nitpick in the Ti way easily. Pick shit apart. I like preciseness of concepts. However I also like to "see" deep and I thought that was the Ni part. My internal mind is really weird sometimes and I can only describe it as a mix of Ti and Ni in the background :). Or sometimes it's Ti in the background :) And I don't know what else. A lot of shit surfaces at times. :p

I don't really understand the idea about people getting along == efficient and logical. To me people getting along is just a good thing, Feeling-wise. As long as I am in the mood to care :p Sometimes I do care.

I cannot begin to understand how some people - like you - try to make sense of feelings in a logical way. (I'm not saying that's bad or anything of course.) I mean I can do it in the setting of a detached psychological theory and I do enjoy analysis there but not in real life. In real life, feelings and emotions just "are". The most I do is determine their source and that's easy usually. So really I don't do a lot of analysis of feelings and/or emotions.

Btw what you described is also a bit reminiscent of Ti-lead / Fe-suggestive in Socionics right? :) I guess our Socionics types differ so that could explain this too.

It takes a loooooooooong time to understand the functions. Took me years. Even now I am still learning and redefining how and what they are.

I nitpick the shit apart too, but Ti is a shadow for me as well. For me it's sort of a combination of Fi and Te that I used to nitpick things. Very hard to explain, but it's how mine works.

Well, I understand feelings are not always logical, but I try anyway. I absolutely try and determine their source, because that can actually say something about the logic of it. I do it all the time. But, I seek to understand people. I have to as it allows me to navigate the world correctly.

As far as socionics, I believe so. I am not as good with that system, but within it I know I am LSI which is a Ti lead so yes. Remember these theories only capture a small portion of our personality, so it will never be a perfect fit.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It takes a loooooooooong time to understand the functions. Took me years. Even now I am still learning and redefining how and what they are.

I nitpick the shit apart too, but Ti is a shadow for me as well. For me it's sort of a combination of Fi and Te that I used to nitpick things. Very hard to explain, but it's how mine works.

How do you use Fi to nitpick shit?

Did Fi easily make sense to you? None of the Fi function definitions do, for me.

Well, I understand feelings are not always logical, but I try anyway. I absolutely try and determine their source, because that can actually say something about the logic of it. I do it all the time. But, I seek to understand people. I have to as it allows me to navigate the world correctly.

I'm just curious but give me an example of how you make sense of a feeling logically?

á´…eparted

passages
How do you use Fi to nitpick shit?

Did Fi easily make sense to you? None of the Fi function definitions do, for me.

I'm just curious but give me an example of how you make sense of a feeling logically?

Well, it's really Te that does it, but Fi helps with it. Fi deals with values and rules that have been internally derived. Life experience has allowed me to create an inner storage of moral codes and what not that I follow and feel everyone else should follow. As well as ethics, and stuff. They get refined and changed by Te a lot over time but it sits as an internal refrence. I'll take information and show it that, and if it matches it goes, if it doesn't it gets rejected. Fi is often associated with feelings and emotions, and by and large it is, but it doesn't always have to be. Fi is a lower process for me so I don't use it very much. Only when I need to or I get tired. Have you seen the new alice in wonderland? One of my favorite movies ever! Alice in that movie is an excellent definition of what Fi is and how shows. People tend to assume that Fi is devoid of logic, it's not.

Hmm. I'll use myself as an example. If I feel something, I determine the source of where it comes from. I will then thing of the events that could have triggered it. Then see if those series of events should logically lead to the emotion I am experiencing. I ask myself if it makes sense. Is there solid ground for how it feels and is it valid. I do the same for others as well. Figure out what leads to it and see if there is logic to them experiencing it.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's really Te that does it, but Fi helps with it. Fi deals with values and rules that have been internally derived. Life experience has allowed me to create an inner storage of moral codes and what not that I follow and feel everyone else should follow. As well as ethics, and stuff. They get refined and changed by Te a lot over time but it sits as an internal refrence. I'll take information and show it that, and if it matches it goes, if it doesn't it gets rejected. Fi is often associated with feelings and emotions, and by and large it is, but it doesn't always have to be. Fi is a lower process for me so I don't use it very much. Only when I need to or I get tired. Have you seen the new alice in wonderland? One of my favorite movies ever! Alice in that movie is an excellent definition of what Fi is and how shows. People tend to assume that Fi is devoid of logic, it's not.

Ah, I see, well, yeah I don't at all relate to this Fi stuff. Imagining this rigid moralistic stuff just makes me want to tear my hair out :p

I'm not trying to say that it can't have some advantage if I had/used Fi more.

Anyway I was really asking about how this Fi/Te nitpicking differs from Ti nitpicking. :) If you mean it analyzes stuff based on this value system, well I don't do that. I just analyze based on logic.

Now to stay with the ENTJ idea, you could say this is just a really unconscious and repressed Fi eh?

(And no, I haven't seen that movie :/)

Hmm. I'll use myself as an example. If I feel something, I determine the source of where it comes from. I will then thing of the events that could have triggered it. Then see if those series of events should logically lead to the emotion I am experiencing. I ask myself if it makes sense. Is there solid ground for how it feels and is it valid. I do the same for others as well. Figure out what leads to it and see if there is logic to them experiencing it.

How do you determine if it's logical to experience it, given the source is known?

I think I leave out that step, if I feel an emotion then it doesn't need to be validated. It just is. I'm really rather uninhibited about that

Also, my view on this is that when you feel an emotion it's always "logical" because clearly it happened for some reason, and if you don't understand then it's just that you don't understand YET, your unconscious issues contributing/leading to the emotion. Really, if I was to say it's not logical I would be questioning the way my brain works. I would be forcing some unrealistic value system on myself and that's not my thing.

I'm not saying that this is the "best way" to deal with an emotion, it does have drawbacks :) Anyway what works for me is understanding my unconscious instead of rejecting the emotion as not being "logical".

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] Any luck or did I get too deep with my question (about logically experiencing emotions)? :)

I know I said Fi makes no sense to me but the fact that I don't need to validate my emotions in any logical fashion whatsoever makes me wonder about ESFP. :p And that type still has Se+Te :p

I would be a weird one though, one with the "shadow side" (I just mean the tertiary/inferior here, which is INTJ for me) somewhat integrated. And then I do still relate to Ti, in some way.

Any thoughts by anyone?