• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Enneagram type? - I think I know my Freudian triad?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm just going to break apart the 8-4-7 because of its possible relevance in this situation.

The 8-4-7 is an unhealthy tritype due to the conflict of 8 and 4 together in a trifix, two opposing types, and the possession of 2 Id types and 1 Ego type, meaning that the Super-Ego is sometimes ignored and it manifests itself in the coping mechanism of assertive/withdrawing/assertive.

Initially, when the 8-4-7 is confronted with a problem/stress, the first instinct is to dominate and tackle the problem head on and aggressively due to 8's vice of lust and physical intensity, but if the 8 coping mechanism is proven to be ineffective, then the 847 switches over to the withdrawing attitude of 4 which will either try to temper the rage caused by Type 8 initially or emotionally charge the rage with brutal intensity to prepare for anyone or problem who dared tried to re-initiate conflict. If this proves unsuccessful, the 847 switches back to assertive in the form of the 7, which is marked by brutal criticism delivered by quick wit and utter straightforwardness, but at this stage the 7's criticisms will be much more physical due to being a last resort phase before entering the unhealthy dimension and possibly even violent if still charged with 4 and 8's paradoxical yet intense energy, impulsiveness gets bolstered by 8's aftershock of rage and causes the 847 to simply give in to unconscious impulses and fight tooth and nail.

How about 8-7-4 and how about 8-4-5 and 8-5-4?

As for my earlier posts, have you managed to make some sense of it yet? Including my latest post on my way of dealing with stress

Alea_iacta_est

How about 8-7-4 and how about 8-4-5 and 8-5-4?

As for my earlier posts, have you managed to make some sense of it yet? Including my latest post on my way of dealing with stress

Will respond after I'm done arguing over on the Theft of Science thread.

Alea_iacta_est

Lool okay :) Have fun arguing :p

Well now that that is over and done and my entire energy reserve is completely drained, let's begin.

874 would initially act the same way as the 847 by charging in with the 8 fix (this tritype is assertive/assertive/withdrawing) but then would change tone into the brutal criticism of the 7, which would be amplified by the rage of core 8. 4 as the last coping mechanism would withdraw from the debate entirely and would become exceedingly volatile, charged by the impulsitivity of the 7 and the rage of the 8, creating a bit of a hibernating bear of a personality. Leave it alone, and it will leave you alone. Pester it, and it will rip you apart (and then wallow in melodramatic depression and personal nihilism).

I will do the 8-4-5 and 8-5-4 tomorrow, as I'm not even sure that I consciously wrote the above paragraph.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well now that that is over and done and my entire energy reserve is completely drained, let's begin.

874 would initially act the same way as the 847 by charging in with the 8 fix (this tritype is assertive/assertive/withdrawing) but then would change tone into the brutal criticism of the 7, which would be amplified by the rage of core 8. 4 as the last coping mechanism would withdraw from the debate entirely and would become exceedingly volatile, charged by the impulsitivity of the 7 and the rage of the 8, creating a bit of a hibernating bear of a personality. Leave it alone, and it will leave you alone. Pester it, and it will rip you apart (and then wallow in melodramatic depression and personal nihilism).

I will do the 8-4-5 and 8-5-4 tomorrow, as I'm not even sure that I consciously wrote the above paragraph.

Thanks. Mhmm it makes a lot more sense putting the 4 after 7 though I'm not sure I interpret the criticism part right, can you elaborate on that later. And OK, I saw the fun debate so I understand haha. Sleep well. :D

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] I hope you had a good night's sleep since then :) or two :)

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] Oh. Sorry, I forgot about what I was doing here.

These will be a bit more from personal experience and subjective experience since I am of the 845 tritype and have a strong connection to 5 that would make me oscillate coping mechanisms between 845 and 854.

8-4-5: 1 Id type (Assertive), 2 Ego types (Withdrawn).

When faced with a problem, this type will use the coping mechanism of the 8 as its first line of attack, meaning that the person will attempt to dominate the problem to solve it as quickly and intensely as possible and with great force. The 8 will be very profound in this tritype as this tritype is a bit infamous for being over-confident and unyielding to outside opinions (due to the tritype's immense mapping of systems to understand the world and human motivation (which might be part of the reason why I think I'm Ti heavy, but that's besides the point) and will usually be extremely skeptical as to what they allow into their systems, to the point where the individual is simply putting up a fight to resist new, untrusted information) and the fact that 8 is the dominant and core type of this trifix. If the 8 coping mechanism is found useless, this tritype immediately transitions to a withdrawn coping mechanism to preserve their identity and emotions (which are usually disproportionate due to 8 slamming all emotion toward anger/rage). From here, the 845 can either try and calm down, or conversely cause a rekindling of the 8 coping mechanism if emotional intensity and the feeling of weakness in not being able to dominate a problem quickly is met with more anger, but this leads to a much more antagonistic, unhealthy 8 coping mechanism. From 4, the 845 detaches from the situation by using the 5's coping mechanism of withdrawing coupled with Non-attachment. In this phase, the 845 can detach from emotions entirely, or, on the other hand, become entirely hermetic in order to wait out the problem and not face the problem which is making the 845 dramatically realize that his or her fear of being weak, lost, and incompetent (in that order) and causes a path of disintegration.

8-5-4 is almost exactly the same except reverse the order of 5 and 4 and cut out the bits with 4 rejuvenating to 8 and save that for the last slot.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] Oh. Sorry, I forgot about what I was doing here.

These will be a bit more from personal experience and subjective experience since I am of the 845 tritype and have a strong connection to 5 that would make me oscillate coping mechanisms between 845 and 854.

8-4-5: 1 Id type (Assertive), 2 Ego types (Withdrawn).

When faced with a problem, this type will use the coping mechanism of the 8 as its first line of attack, meaning that the person will attempt to dominate the problem to solve it as quickly and intensely as possible and with great force. The 8 will be very profound in this tritype as this tritype is a bit infamous for being over-confident and unyielding to outside opinions (due to the tritype's immense mapping of systems to understand the world and human motivation (which might be part of the reason why I think I'm Ti heavy, but that's besides the point) and will usually be extremely skeptical as to what they allow into their systems, to the point where the individual is simply putting up a fight to resist new, untrusted information) and the fact that 8 is the dominant and core type of this trifix. If the 8 coping mechanism is found useless, this tritype immediately transitions to a withdrawn coping mechanism to preserve their identity and emotions (which are usually disproportionate due to 8 slamming all emotion toward anger/rage). From here, the 845 can either try and calm down, or conversely cause a rekindling of the 8 coping mechanism if emotional intensity and the feeling of weakness in not being able to dominate a problem quickly is met with more anger, but this leads to a much more antagonistic, unhealthy 8 coping mechanism. From 4, the 845 detaches from the situation by using the 5's coping mechanism of withdrawing coupled with Non-attachment. In this phase, the 845 can detach from emotions entirely, or, on the other hand, become entirely hermetic in order to wait out the problem and not face the problem which is making the 845 dramatically realize that his or her fear of being weak, lost, and incompetent (in that order) and causes a path of disintegration.

8-5-4 is almost exactly the same except reverse the order of 5 and 4 and cut out the bits with 4 rejuvenating to 8 and save that for the last slot.

Wow, that's me. But I think I'm more 854 than 845.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thing is I said I prefer to deny/ignore the feeling of danger. I'm not quite sure if I actually constantly see the world as being very dangerous in some unconscious way. I'm really this adept at denying such fears. I am good though at protecting myself in a Sp sense. (I am not totally excluding Sp-first btw.) Quite honestly, I don't like doing it, I don't like focusing on the aspect of the danger being present itself, because it kind of makes me feel "less powerful". But I do deal with danger and it can be quite ok, the process itself, of fighting it :). I don't do this by hoarding knowledge though. Getting more knowledge on an issue is an afterthought always. I might be doing it while in the process of doing whatever. It does make me feel better to have knowledge overall.

--> curious, what was the cp6-ish bit in this?

Now, if I can't do anything about the thing, I first just explode with anger, very frustrated. Depending on how big the issue is, it can be outright raging. Totally uninhibited, I don't care to repress and I wouldn't be able to anyway. If it's an issue that's going on for longer, I can secretly get into self-pity temporarily and I will admit that I enjoy that, the intensity of the emotions. I will become more reactive than usual as well and that says something because I'm pretty reactive by default. :p More angry, more impulsive, all that. Then, it's also happened that I just detached, felt nothing, ignored the issue, withdrew from everything and survived that way. I also learned some new knowledge in the process humm... I was sometimes also pretty passive, feeling like I didn't even have the energy to move my muscles, but such complete passivity luckily only lasted for a short time. Once in my life it also happened that I just focused on delving into certain things, er, call them sensations, a lot more, a lot more impulsively than ever and I was feeling pretty much myself, not stressed at all heh. Unfortunately it was pretty much an addiction. It worked pretty well to ignore the issue for a while but then I went back to the issue after all and confronted it and that felt great too as I finally saw a way out.

--> This sound anything like the 854/845? :)

Though I didn't talk about my way of dealing with information like you talked about above, because I excluded that from the "real stress" category, I don't yet feel too stressed I guess

PS: As for "immense mapping of systems to understand the world and human motivation", I don't directly do that with human motivation, though I guess to a degree, sure

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"874 would initially act the same way as the 847 by charging in with the 8 fix (this tritype is assertive/assertive/withdrawing) but then would change tone into the brutal criticism of the 7, which would be amplified by the rage of core 8. 4 as the last coping mechanism would withdraw from the debate entirely and would become exceedingly volatile, charged by the impulsitivity of the 7 and the rage of the 8, creating a bit of a hibernating bear of a personality. Leave it alone, and it will leave you alone. Pester it, and it will rip you apart (and then wallow in melodramatic depression and personal nihilism)."

I do relate to this too, though, just not the brutal criticism as much, but can you elaborate what that exactly means for a 7?

Alea_iacta_est

5-4-8's typically describe themselves (when in a safe environment if 8 leads first) as sensitive yet tough.

If you hadn't seen the description of the the 5-4-8, here it is:

Use the description objectively, otherwise you'll submit to the Forer Effect. Compare what you are reading to your own psyche.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
5-4-8's typically describe themselves (when in a safe environment if 8 leads first) as sensitive yet tough.

Are you reading my mind? :/ :/ :p

Though I can't imagine in what non-anonymous environment would I feel like saying this out loud. Never in my life.

If you hadn't seen the description of the the 5-4-8, here it is:

Well I relate to some and don't relate to some. I started colouring shit but I decided it's better to just sum it up:

- I'm indeed somewhat introverted, headstrong, strongly opinionated (enjoying this), like intensity, like being direct. Somewhat cynical. Very confident. Mastery sure. Secret self-consciousness & from time to time artsy yep. I do follow my own "muse" inside. I can push people away but often not intentionally, though that happened too. Analytical to an extent depending on mood. Yes I can seem quiet and then surprise people. I'm my own authority. The sensitivity to inconsistency works too.
- I'm not dark like this, I'm not totally negative though I can easily be that too. I don't care too deeply about the grotesque & heavily esoteric stuff just makes me feel "eww". I don't research all the time and wouldn't want to spend all my time on that. No constant self-criticism, I don't really do much of it. Not so much of rapid oscillations of emotion, just when I get moody but not my default.

I would like to copy these lines because they're so good:

five with an eight fix: least intellectual, though perhaps the most mentally intense. unsettled by occasional fits of temper, sudden outbursts. affixed to notions of power; attitude of resigned realist. quietly guarded and insistent, may put others ill at ease.

eight with a four fix: the moody, loner eight. distinct outsider quality; as if on a highly personal mission. tendency to feel exempt from conventional rules and circumstances.

I would only add, that "resigned" isn't me. And my tempers don't "unsettle me", I'm fine with it. I did not understand what "affixed to notions of power" means, so I didn't evaluate that statement. Eh and not always quiet... the 8 with 4 fix line seems to make some more sense to me I guess ;)

5-4-8's can be willfully perverse and too arrogant to accept criticism from others. But they are likely to outwardly repudiate that criticism, and then later modify their views accordingly rather than stubbornly retain their original position

Hahaha goddamnit that's me.

Overall, I'm not this deeply introverted and fantasy oriented as it describes 4-5-8 tritype, only to an extent. Would that be true when 8 is leading the tritype? Or is it a 7 fix and then my 5-ness is just a line from 8?

Also did you see my other questions? Thanks. Post #129 and #130.

Alea_iacta_est

Are you reading my mind? :/ :/ :p

Though I can't imagine in what non-anonymous environment would I feel like saying this out loud. Never in my life.

Well I relate to some and don't relate to some. I started colouring shit but I decided it's better to just sum it up:

- I'm indeed somewhat introverted, headstrong, strongly opinionated (enjoying this), like intensity, like being direct. Somewhat cynical. Very confident. Mastery sure. Secret self-consciousness & from time to time artsy yep. I do follow my own "muse" inside. I can push people away but often not intentionally, though that happened too. Analytical to an extent depending on mood. Yes I can seem quiet and then surprise people. I'm my own authority. The sensitivity to inconsistency works too.
- I'm not dark like this, I'm not totally negative though I can easily be that too. I don't care too deeply about the grotesque & heavily esoteric stuff just makes me feel "eww". I don't research all the time and wouldn't want to spend all my time on that. No constant self-criticism, I don't really do much of it. Not so much of rapid oscillations of emotion, just when I get moody but not my default.

I would like to copy these lines because they're so good:

five with an eight fix: least intellectual, though perhaps the most mentally intense. unsettled by occasional fits of temper, sudden outbursts. affixed to notions of power; attitude of resigned realist. quietly guarded and insistent, may put others ill at ease.

eight with a four fix: the moody, loner eight. distinct outsider quality; as if on a highly personal mission. tendency to feel exempt from conventional rules and circumstances.

I would only add, that "resigned" isn't me. And my tempers don't "unsettle me", I'm fine with it. I did not understand what "affixed to notions of power" means, so I didn't evaluate that statement. Eh and not always quiet... the 8 with 4 fix line seems to make some more sense to me I guess ;)

Hahaha goddamnit that's me.

Overall, I'm not this deeply introverted and fantasy oriented as it describes 4-5-8 tritype, only to an extent. Would that be true when 8 is leading the tritype? Or is it a 7 fix and then my 5-ness is just a line from 8?

Also did you see my other questions? Thanks. Post #129 and #130.

The pushing people away is a tendency of the 8 w/ 5 fix, as the 8 doesn't want to reveal inner emotions and the 5 wants to not be intruded upon. I imagine what they meant is 458 pushes when people try to get close to him or her that he or she doesn't trust entirely. The introversion will be slightly less hermetic when 8 is in charge but it is still an introverted trifix.

How about the 4-7-8 description?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The pushing people away is a tendency of the 8 w/ 5 fix, as the 8 doesn't want to reveal inner emotions and the 5 wants to not be intruded upon. I imagine what they meant is 458 pushes when people try to get close to him or her that he or she doesn't trust entirely. The introversion will be slightly less hermetic when 8 is in charge but it is still an introverted trifix.

I see. Yes I relate to all that, except I'm not sure what being intruded upon is supposed to mean. Maybe that's something I don't have then?

How about the 4-7-8 description?

ok well this one has too much optimism and blahblahblah creativity stuff in it. I mean I'm optimistic in a sense just not overdone and I do have some aesthetic sense and am individual but I'm not out doing "creative stuff" constantly. I guess otherwise some things fit here too. I do like attention and autonomy, I don't care about mirroring. Freedom is a given. Non-comformity too :p I see the "own muse" theme appears here too, cool. Also I've been seen as inspirational, yes I can come across as "arrogant, resistant, and/or uncooperative". And yes, I can be as adamant about getting my way as mentioned grandmother :eek: I get inflexible like described.

I suppose if I am this tritype then I would be more 874 though than 847, I still feel 4 is my last fix.

I am still curious about the previous questions ;) Post #129 and #130.

Alea_iacta_est

I see. Yes I relate to all that, except I'm not sure what being intruded upon is supposed to mean. Maybe that's something I don't have then?

ok well this one has too much optimism and blahblahblah creativity stuff in it. I mean I'm optimistic in a sense just not overdone and I do have some aesthetic sense and am individual but I'm not out doing "creative stuff" constantly. I guess otherwise some things fit here too. I do like attention and autonomy, I don't care about mirroring. Freedom is a given. Non-comformity too :p I see the "own muse" theme appears here too, cool. Also I've been seen as inspirational, yes I can come across as "arrogant, resistant, and/or uncooperative". And yes, I can be as adamant about getting my way as mentioned grandmother :eek: I get inflexible like described.

I suppose if I am this tritype then I would be more 874 though than 847, I still feel 4 is my last fix.

I am still curious about the previous questions ;) Post #129 and #130.

The cp 6 bit was for the denial of fears, but I'm wasn't entirely sure because you didn't mention whether or not you are denying your fears to others or denying your fears internally.

The passage you wrote sounds sort of like a 7 with 8 fix, but there are hints to 5 with an 8 fix that might signal a disintegration from your 8 fix to a 5 fix. I'm not entirely sure on this however.

Brutal criticism is the result of a stressed out 7, which means that the 7 will actually say whatever he or she is thinking despite knowing that the comments will hurt someone. It usually protrudes with a harsh truth, one that has usually been known by all yet remained unspoken. The 7 capitalizes on the criticism and usually piles it on.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The cp 6 bit was for the denial of fears, but I'm wasn't entirely sure because you didn't mention whether or not you are denying your fears to others or denying your fears internally.

Both. My default stance is I don't think about danger or fears, if others mention stuff, their worries etc etc, I brush it off, and I sometimes even tell them off pretty impatiently if they keep worrying. Which one's cp 6, internal denial of fears or denial of them to others?

The passage you wrote sounds sort of like a 7 with 8 fix, but there are hints to 5 with an 8 fix that might signal a disintegration from your 8 fix to a 5 fix. I'm not entirely sure on this however.

Was the "freedom is a given" part the 7-ish one? :p

Right I wouldn't deny a 8 to 5 disintegration.

Brutal criticism is the result of a stressed out 7, which means that the 7 will actually say whatever he or she is thinking despite knowing that the comments will hurt someone. It usually protrudes with a harsh truth, one that has usually been known by all yet remained unspoken. The 7 capitalizes on the criticism and usually piles it on.

Doesn't a 7 usually say what they think? :O

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, it's just that when they are unhealthy, stressed, or disintegrating they tend to come up with even more criticisms that might be undeserved.

I see. I will have to think about that one.

And about the denial of fears, which one's cp 6, internal denial of fears or denial of them to others?

Alea_iacta_est

I see. I will have to think about that one.

And about the denial of fears, which one's cp 6, internal denial of fears or denial of them to others?

Counterphobic 6's deny their fear internally so that they can conquer their fears. 8's deny their fears externally so they don't look weak.