• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help, in the middle between two types.

Lucaw6

Hello, I was wondering if I could receive some help distinguishing my type from a more knowledgable source than myself. I'm a 17 year old male and I took the test along side my dad because he had to in order get married and I was curious about it. I took it a total of 3 times to be safe. The first time I received ENTJ being with E and N being more dominant a T and J being slightly there. The next time I received the type ENFJ with the same type of distribution. The final time I received ENTJ again, BUT the distribution was E-56%, N-62%, T only 1%, and J-33%. The past results and the fact that I receive a percentage of 1 on the T puts me in the middle I feel. I have looked at both descriptions and elements of both match up pretty exactly. Is there a name for a type that's in the middle and if so is there a place to find out more indie on this middle type? Or is there a way to find out more definitively my exact type? I understand that this could be difficult to do since no one knows me personally but any help would be appreciated and I will answer an questions about myself if needed to give further insight. Thank you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello, I was wondering if I could receive some help distinguishing my type from a more knowledgable source than myself. I'm a 17 year old male and I took the test along side my dad because he had to in order get married and I was curious about it.

Thank you! Some people don't believe that sometimes it's necessary to take the MBTI before getting married, and this verifies what I was saying. I learned this from someone who had to take it as part of pre-marital counseling.

I took it a total of 3 times to be safe. The first time I received ENTJ being with E and N being more dominant a T and J being slightly there. The next time I received the type ENFJ with the same type of distribution. The final time I received ENTJ again, BUT the distribution was E-56%, N-62%, T only 1%, and J-33%. The past results and the fact that I receive a percentage of 1 on the T puts me in the middle I feel. I have looked at both descriptions and elements of both match up pretty exactly. Is there a name for a type that's in the middle and if so is there a place to find out more indie on this middle type? Or is there a way to find out more definitively my exact type? I understand that this could be difficult to do since no one knows me personally but any help would be appreciated and I will answer an questions about myself if needed to give further insight. Thank you.

In my experience, the first testing is most accurate.

Lucaw6

Both descriptions seem to be accurate to me though. One just seems to fill in the blanks of the other.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both descriptions seem to be accurate to me though. One just seems to fill in the blanks of the other.

That's not unusual. But you're more than likely one type more than you are the other type.

Alea_iacta_est

The fact that T is 1% means that you are going to be pretty hard to type. Most people here follow a standard that each type is distinctively different from each other based on these things called "Cognitive Functions", and would argue that there isn't really any breathing room for being on the line. Just evaluate yourself objectively and research some more, and hopefully you will come to a decent conclusion. I wish all the luck to you.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hello :)

As far as I am aware, there is no real convention for naming a middle type, besides indicating it with an x or absence of a letter - ENxJ or ENJ. Some believe that the MBTI hinges on choosing between dichotomies which may only be true to a certain extent, and so believe that everyone should simply identify as a full 4 letter type as best they can. Others indicate balance or uncertainty through notation such as ENxJ, ENJ, or ENfJ or ENtJ, depending on whether you side a little more towards one or the other.

If you would prefer to narrow down, it might help to look at the finer distinctions between T vs F. Broadly, as you probably already are aware, Ts typically are more concerned with logic and reasoning, truth, improvement, theoretics, and refinement. Fs typically are more concerned with personal growth, fostering others, identity, cooperation, and meaning. Consider titles like "Strategist Mobilizer" - ENTJ - and "Envisioner Mentor" - ENFJ - ENTJ emphasizes impersonal systems while ENFJ emphasizes personal growth. In a purer sense, Ts make decisions mainly based on impersonal logical considerations, while Fs make decisions mainly based on personal value considerations. A T will tend to think more in terms of "accurate" and "true", as it relates to the overall schema of the world-system, while an F will tend to think more in terms of "right" or "good" as it relates to holistic wellbeing.

A well-balanced person will of course have both strengths in their repertoire, though, so like Alea mentioned, you can also analyze the difference through cognitive functions, which would be Te-Ni-Se-Fi for ENTJ and Fe-Ni-Se-Ti for ENFJ. Essentially the difference theoretically is that an ENTJ will be more concerned with external logical consistency but internal value set while an ENFJ will be more concerned with external behavior/interpersonal consistency but internal logical structure.

he had to in order get married

This is interesting. Is he of a certain religion or church that used it as part of their premarital counseling?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is interesting. Is he of a certain religion or church that used it as part of their premarital counseling?

Yes, his church practices pre-marital counseling and requires the MBTI as part of that.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, his church practices pre-marital counseling and requires the MBTI as part of that.

If you know and feel comfortable answering, what denomination?