• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram n00b needing help in distinguishing type/tritype!

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and am just getting into Enneagram.

I need help figuring out my type and tritype as I'm finding Enneagram quite a difficult model to type myself on as I see different attributes of different types in myself.

I tested as a 7 with an online test before but I thought the description seemed a little shallow and very focused on one aspect of my personality. I also felt the questions weren't fantastic and sometimes forced answers that didn't feel right to give by using mandatory multiple choice.

Is there any way I can reliably type myself?

I can answer any questions about myself to help you guys to type me if you're willing! Also if it helps I *think* I'm an ENFP.

Alea_iacta_est

ENFPs are typically 7s, but typically doesn't cut it. I tried this with someone else, so let's see if this works out again

Which of these do you consider your biggest fear?
Being cut off (from everything)
Being held back from doing something, no freedom
Being betrayed by those you trust
Being emotionally vulnerable (or physically)
Being insignificant and ordinary
Being incapable, mentally or physically
Being unimportant, being worthless
Being unloved
Being amoral, lacking good judgement

Which of these do you want the most?
To be valuable and important
To feel loved
To be unique and individual
To be ethical and have integrity
To be supported and guided
To be in a peaceful frame of mind and life
To be protected
To be competent and capable
To be content and happy with what you have

If this doesn't solve it, I'll do some more.

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFPs are typically 7s, but typically doesn't cut it. I tried this with someone else, so let's see if this works out again

Being unloved

To feel loved
To be protected

If this doesn't solve it, I'll do some more.

Thanks! I've highlighted a few, let me know if you need me to just pick one...

Being unloved

To feel loved
To be protected

Alea_iacta_est

Well I actually meant for you to only choose one per question, do you identify with those 3 fears and desires equally?

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well I actually meant for you to only choose one per question, do you identify with those 3 fears and desires equally?

Hey, I'd say I agree strongly with all 3 I've picked from each list but if I had to pick one from each...

Being unloved

To feel loved
To be protected

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20499]alphashallows[/MENTION]

Well for the fear, you chose the Type 9 fear of being cut off and seperated, and for the desire you chose the Type 7 desire.

If we go and look back at the three you chose for each however, you chose, for fear, Type 9, Type 7, and Type 6
For desire, you chose Type 2, Type 9, and Type 7.

I say 7w6 with a 9 fix, so when you go to figure out your tritype, I would expect it to be something like

7w6 - 9w? - and maybe a 2w?,

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
[MENTION=20499]alphashallows[/MENTION]

Well for the fear, you chose the Type 9 fear of being cut off and seperated, and for the desire you chose the Type 7 desire.

If we go and look back at the three you chose for each however, you chose, for fear, Type 9, Type 7, and Type 6
For desire, you chose Type 2, Type 9, and Type 7.

I say 7w6 with a 9 fix, so when you go to figure out your tritype, I would expect it to be something like

7w6 - 9w? - and maybe a 2w?,

Having read a bit more into enneagram I definitely think 9w8 is in there somewhere as opposed to 9w1 - I can be assertive in my pursuit of a peaceful life.

I'm intrigued to see that none of my choices are type 4 choices - 4w3 has definitely appeared in my tritype on online tests before, and I think 3w4 and 3w2 also aaaages ago.

I've never seen a 2 in there but again I'm not sure how much I trust those online tests, I quite like your method. If there is a 2 it'd be a 2w3 and not a 2w1.

What makes you say 7w6 rather than 7w8?

Thanks!

Alea_iacta_est

Having read a bit more into enneagram I definitely think 9w8 is in there somewhere as opposed to 9w1 - I can be assertive in my pursuit of a peaceful life.

I'm intrigued to see that none of my choices are type 4 choices - 4w3 has definitely appeared in my tritype on online tests before, and I think 3w4 and 3w2 also aaaages ago.

I've never seen a 2 in there but again I'm not sure how much I trust those online tests, I quite like your method. If there is a 2 it'd be a 2w3 and not a 2w1.

What makes you say 7w6 rather than 7w8?

Thanks!

I say 7w6 because you didn't identify with either the 8 fear or desire.

The 8's fear (speaking for type 8 here, it's in my trifix) is emotional and physical vulnerability, hence why they act extremely tough and resilient, and that's why in the unhealthy ranges they become extremely hostile, to show off their strength and demonstrate they have no weaknesses, for they have buried them down as far as they can.

The 8's desire is to be protected by someone else for a change, they are tired for having to stand up for themselves and be aggressive (healthy integration to type 2, which wants to feel loved)

If you identify with E8, you might have a counterphobic 6 wing, one that denies fear and charges ahead anyways. The 6 is evident because you are afraid of being betrayed by those you trust (unlike the 8, who already trusts no one and lives by this rule, more often than not they will be the ones to betray people along with 3s).

Out of curiosity, when you picked the want to be loved option, does love in this sense mean appreciation for you and your actions, emotional and physical support/guidance, or popularity and many people liking you even?

Oh yeah, forgot, Type 4s fear being insignificant and normal, they see themselves as unique and special and desire to be so, which is also similar to Type 3's fear of being valueless and worthless compared to the 3 desire to be important and admired.

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
I say 7w6 because you didn't identify with either the 8 fear or desire.

The 8's fear (speaking for type 8 here, it's in my trifix) is emotional and physical vulnerability, hence why they act extremely tough and resilient, and that's why in the unhealthy ranges they become extremely hostile, to show off their strength and demonstrate they have no weaknesses, for they have buried them down as far as they can.

The 8's desire is to be protected by someone else for a change, they are tired for having to stand up for themselves and be aggressive (healthy integration to type 2, which wants to feel loved)

If you identify with E8, you might have a counterphobic 6 wing, one that denies fear and charges ahead anyways. The 6 is evident because you are afraid of being betrayed by those you trust (unlike the 8, who already trusts no one and lives by this rule, more often than not they will be the ones to betray people along with 3s).

Out of curiosity, when you picked the want to be loved option, does love in this sense mean appreciation for you and your actions, emotional and physical support/guidance, or popularity and many people liking you even?

Oh yeah, forgot, Type 4s fear being insignificant and normal, they see themselves as unique and special and desire to be so, which is also similar to Type 3's fear of being valueless and worthless compared to the 3 desire to be important and admired.

I definitely identify with the 4's insignificance fear, just not as much as the original three I picked, and I quite like being seen as quirky and witty. I would HATE to be seen as bland or uninteresting so I guess the unique thing stands too. I don't think the 3 type's desires and fears fit me as much - I'm not especially status oriented. I'd say the being loved thing is a combo of being popular and liked at this early stage in my life (I'm in my early 20s), but later on I see it as becoming more of a relationship/family love. Being loved is really important to me as I like having people to share experiences with, and support.

Alea_iacta_est

I definitely identify with the 4's insignificance fear, just not as much as the original three I picked, and I quite like being seen as quirky and witty. I would HATE to be seen as bland or uninteresting so I guess the unique thing stands too. I don't think the 3 type's desires and fears fit me as much - I'm not especially status oriented. I'd say the being loved thing is a combo of being popular and liked at this early stage in my life (I'm in my early 20s), but later on I see it as becoming more of a relationship/family love. Being loved is really important to me as I like having people to share experiences with, and support.

To feel loved:
To have everyone like you and be popular - Type 3
To be appreciated for the things you do for others - Type 2
To have emotional/physical support and guidance - Type 6

I say with a little more confidence now 7w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
To feel loved:
To have everyone like you and be popular - Type 3
To be appreciated for the things you do for others - Type 2
To have emotional/physical support and guidance - Type 6

I say with a little more confidence now 7w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

That looks like it could be right, although just wondering what do you think of 3w4 or 4w3 for the last? I ask because I see the 3 reason for the "loved" desire, but I think I definitely identify more with both the 4 fear and desire rather than 3.

This is great btw, thanks :)

Alea_iacta_est

That looks like it could be right, although just wondering what do you think of 3w4 or 4w3 for the last? I ask because I see the 3 reason for the "loved" desire, but I think I definitely identify more with both the 4 fear and desire rather than 3.

This is great btw, thanks :)

Well, it's possible that you might be a 3w4, you would be much less subtle about trying to get attention, unlike the 3w2 attention whore (no offense :p). 3w4s are usually more shrewd than their 3w2 counterparts and it also provides the 3s narcissism with the reinforced 4 "I want to be special and unique". This leads to the whole I want to do something with this world, and I want to be famous and admired for fixing something or doing something. 3w2 want to be admired and famous for taking care of people, 3w4s want to be admired and famous for being unique and being the special person who fixed something.

I started working with this method so it would be easier to type people who didn't know much about the enneagram. I didn't do anything like this to figure out my type, and instead became hit with the giant pool of knowledge of the enneagram, leaving me utterly confused as to what my type was. I realized that I could probably help new people figure out their types from my knowledge of each type's fears and desires, for newer people's minds haven't been biased by much enneagram information yet and will be more inclined to pick their actual fear and desire.

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, it's possible that you might be a 3w4, you would be much less subtle about trying to get attention, unlike the 3w2 attention whore (no offense :p). 3w4s are usually more shrewd than their 3w2 counterparts and it also provides the 3s narcissism with the reinforced 4 "I want to be special and unique". This leads to the whole I want to do something with this world, and I want to be famous and admired for fixing something or doing something. 3w2 want to be admired and famous for taking care of people, 3w4s want to be admired and famous for being unique and being the special person who fixed something.

Interesting. I think 3w4 makes more sense here now that you put it like that - any popularity and likeability I claim to seek comes from a desire for people to like me for my quirkiness and sense of humour/intellect as opposed to being seen as caring, specifically, so 3w4 feels better in that sense. I think I'm kind of a slow burn though, I'm not very in your face about it.

How do you determine the variant?

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Now for that, I have no fucking clue, but, here are some core 7 stacking descriptions (the 7w6 ones are buried in the depths of google probably), try to pick the most honest one, not the one you like the most.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/64041-seven-stacks-checking-instinctual-variant-stacking-enneagram-7-a.html

Thanks, this was really helpful.

Think I'm Sp/So. Makes the most sense. Happy with 7w6-9w8 - on the fence with the last one. I think 3w4 is probably it though. Now to devour information... :D

Alea_iacta_est

Thanks, this was really helpful.

Think I'm Sp/So. Makes the most sense. Happy with 7w6-9w8 - on the fence with the last one. I think 3w4 is probably it though. Now to devour information... :D

Since your third fix isn't going to play as crucial of a part in your personality as the other two, you might wanna go check out tritype descriptions.
The ones I suggest to look at first:
2-7-9 The Peacemaker
3-7-9 The Ambassador
4-7-9 The "Gentle Spirit" (Highly inaccurate name, when 7 is dominant it becomes more extroverted and it is already triple imaginative)

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Since your third fix isn't going to play as crucial of a part in your personality as the other two, you might wanna go check out tritype descriptions.
The ones I suggest to look at first:
2-7-9 The Peacemaker
3-7-9 The Ambassador
4-7-9 The "Gentle Spirit" (Highly inaccurate name, when 7 is dominant it becomes more extroverted and it is already triple imaginative)

Yeah the "gentle spirit" thing is gross. However I think I'm pretty ok now on 7w6-9w8-4w3 sp/so. The 479 tritype as a whole reads better for me than 279 or 379 (except for the fairy/ethereal thing... what in the world?)

This is fun!

Alea_iacta_est

Yeah the "gentle spirit" thing is gross. However I think I'm pretty ok now on 7w6-9w8-4w3 sp/so. The 479 tritype as a whole reads better for me than 279 or 379 (except for the fairy/ethereal thing... what in the world?)

This is fun!

Yeah, especially as a 7-dom you are going to clash with the 4-doms in that tritype, but it's all good.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]
these questions are too explicit. most 6s would not tell you they seek "support and guidance" above all else; most male 2s would not tell you they desire to be loved above all else.

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION]
these questions are too explicit. most 6s would not tell you they seek "support and guidance" above all else; most male 2s would not tell you they desire to be loved above all else.

Interesting, how do you type?