• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or ENTP?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe you are something in between.

Couldn't that be plausible?

I was talking about this with my sister today who has taken the official test and has typed as an "INFP". (And I don't think that is accurate, at all)

I think that the MBTI is not necessarily an accurate tool of personality assessment for everybody, i.e. that many people do not fit into the 16 types.

I took the test, typed as an ENFP, and was blown away by the accuracy of the profile.

I have 2,500 posts on this site, but...

I cannot type *anybody* that is close to me, they just don't seem to exhibit traits that clearly correlate to any one specific type.

Basically, what type do you *sincerely* relate to most?

I, for one, know that people tend to be pretty poor self-analysts and hence test all over the place.

Why does it matter to you which type you are?

Wouldn't you be you, first, and foremost, and then either relate to the personality profiles or not?

Perhaps the MBTI is not for you.

It seems like an odd thing to do for one to try to squeeze themselves into a stereotype that doesn't even fit. :shock:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ And I am sorry if my tone seems hostile, I have just been passionately thinking about this for awhile, so, yeah.

:D

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Ti dominant
Not very risk-taking or explorative because Ti cautions against this. I end up feeling like I don't get out enough and experience life because I'm always sitting quietly thinking about ideas or even new things to try, but rarely actually do these things. I think I'll read a book about hiking in Alaska and consider planning a trip there.

Ne dominant
I know what will happen, because I tried that already! I really need to be more careful and consider the logical consequences of my exploration of all possibilities. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and think about things more before I say anything too! Sitting around just thinking about things is boring, and I don't like to focus on one thing for very long anyway! That Alaskan hiking trip last week was fun! Next month, I want to go to the jungles of South America!
Describing the two types behaviorally is exactly the right way to distinguish them. Between a day and a week of real-life observation and interaction with an ENTP and an INTP are all that's necessary to figure out which is which.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Describing the two types behaviorally is exactly the right way to distinguish them. Between a day and a week of real-life observation and interaction with an ENTP and an INTP are all that's necessary to figure out which is which.
So if this were in fact the case, which I actually agree with if the person was either one of the two, wouldn't it then be odd if a person didn't know if they happened to be one or the other?!?!

My point is , is that perhaps, in this case, they'd be, or are neither.

:yes:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There is no in between. MBTI can grasp any personality right. Every further consideration would implicit that there is a need for a refined system, because the MBTI is limited in its associations. And to pinpoint out single things as not fitting in MBTI would simply be unfair confronting the whole thing :)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
wouldn't it then be odd if a person didn't know if they happened to be one or the other?
I don't think so -- especially not if they lacked self-awareness or had a false sense of self.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nah this aint sad/scary that is life and that is what it makes intresting :).

Guess what you mean considering that different persons thing is a whole other one :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that the MBTI is not necessarily an accurate tool of personality assessment for everybody, i.e. that many people do not fit into the 16 types.

It works for everyone. The types are deliberately loosely defined to make room for all variables. Online type descriptions are your bulls-eye with the above statement.

They attempt to predict lifestyle, which is not inherently linked with type. There are only tendencies, and what tendencies are found on sites like Keirsey's or personalitypage.com are incomplete, and therefore, unacceptable at least to me. They're too misleading (as you've proven with the above statement).

They relinquish viability by not complying with the needs of the newbies; the only ones reading that shit anyway.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ne dominant
I know what will happen, because I tried that already! I really need to be more careful and consider the logical consequences of my exploration of all possibilities. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and think about things more before I say anything too! Sitting around just thinking about things is boring, and I don't like to focus on one thing for very long anyway! That Alaskan hiking trip last week was fun! Next month, I want to go to the jungles of South America!

Sounds more like an Se dominant.

Probably a feeler too.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
There is no rule that says people must be either extroverted or introverted, just as there's no rule that says people must be complete democrats or complete republicans. Both are just boxes that people have invented to try and parse reality into units that are more digestible. But reality isn't always shaped like a box, and neither are you, apparently. Hope that helps.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think it is analogous to this: people who subscribe to religions that they themselves don't believe in or identify with/to, absolutely boggle me.

One should not adjust themselves to fit into someone else's construct, that's ludicrous and self-harming and defeating.

If you don't relate to a type, why would you think something is "wrong" with you?

Human beings are damn near infinitely complex creatures, it makes *perfect* sense that many of us would not identify with 16 preset personality types.

To be honest, I am a bit perturbed by the fact that my personality can be fit into and predicted by, some metric thingy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
*signed* damned idealists xD no plan of what so ever xD

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hmmm.. this almost makes me think that it is possible for a person to be XXXX in personality type. All of this putting people into boxes doesn't really work in the real world- it's just so much fun haha! I would like to call myself an XXXX but my N & P are so high in the sky that no one can get them down.

I simply use MBTI as a way to get an idea of what people are like and try to predict what their interests will be- in that respect- it works. Someone who has a strong preference for N & T will have very different interests than someone with a strong preference for S & F. This is true.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am in bed now, anyone to give me a hug for a gn8 ? xD

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Human beings are damn near infinitely complex creatures, it makes *perfect* sense that many of us would not identify with 16 preset personality types.

To be honest, I am a bit perturbed by the fact that my personality can be fit into some metric thingy.

lol cc...

K... we have numbers for everything right?

We have a picture for every single possible number. The picture doesn't mean the number, we just have a psychic link between the picture " 2 " and the quantity * *.

Type is the same thing. We're just describing what's already there. Just a mental reference. The only people who think type is ridiculous are those who don't understand it.

All variables are accounted for.