• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hey? Want to help?

Aspie aspiring

Hi, everyone! Adult female with Asperger’s. I question whether I can be typed at all, since my cognition is so atypical. But maybe I can? I’ve seen other people on the spectrum who think they know definitively what type they are. Anyways, I thought I'd try this method out; and to help you out a bit, here are a few, or many, things about me.

--I live in my head a lot, and I would definitely consider myself an introvert. When I was younger I would really only come out of my shell when other people approached me, and I’m still the same way. I like to sit back and observe people, because you learn lots of interesting things about them even from the mundane stuff they talk about.

--When I get talking about a subject I’m really passionate about, and I can sense the other person is interested in return, I just don’t stop. I get really, really gushy in my mannerisms. However, I come across to other people who don’t know me well as unfriendly or that I don’t like others. I can be abrupt, aloof, and I’m very selective about who I get close to. Because I'm not good at reciprocal conversation, it can take a very, very long time for people to get to know me. I think that’s a mask I use to protect myself, really. I am frequently described in contradictory ways depending on who you ask.

--I used to take a lot of things incredibly personally. I’ve since realized that people often don’t mean things to come out the way that they do, and that, when they give you constructive criticism, they’re trying to be helpful. Still, it’s a bit hard to swallow, because I value other people’s opinions too much. I have to remind myself that just because it’s someone’s subjective opinion, it’s not objective truth.

--Hyperlexic as a child and I’m still a voracious reader—I’ll read anything because I suck up information like a vacuum. However, favorite genres are fiction, psychology, and history. Not so much into science fiction and fantasy, though.

--On tests I’ve come up as a thinking type over and over; and while other people would peg me as a thinking type and I think of myself as analytical and logical, I believe I’m actually Fe>Ti. I rely a lot on other people’s opinions. I have to take time to mull things over in my own mind for a while.

--I have incredibly good powers of concentration and my tendency is to hone my skills in areas I’m passionate about. When I set my mind to do something, there’s no stopping me. Although I think I’m smart, there’s always something I don’t know, some other way I haven’t seen things.

--I think of my thinking style as being sort of like a kaleidoscope. It’s always the same patterns, the same images, but I’m always turning things over in my mind, trying to see them in a different light.

--When I was younger, I didn’t really care about how I appeared to other people. I’ve since realized that people do notice what you wear and make judgments about it and you (like it or not; that’s the sad truth), so I’ve adjusted my appearance to suit social norms. I’m pretty stereotypically feminine now, but the nerd still lurks within. And I also appear to be much younger than I actually am.

--I think a lot about love and romance and relationships, mostly because I’m never been in one. It’s not that I’m unattractive; I think I have a lot to contribute to a potential relationship with the right guy. But it’s so very difficult to find someone who understands me. I think, though, that this is true for everyone. I have crushes a lot and tend to be very, very awkward about approaching them (but isn't everyone?).

--I am a perfectionist and a bit obsessive about the things I love and am interested in. And I tend to be a bit repetitive in my journal writing, which is why I bought one of those Table Topics card games to help me out. I’m a “think inside the box” kind of person, but my thoughts are constantly bouncing around in there, bumping against the walls and each other.

--I can be a little self-absorbed, if you hadn’t already guessed that!

--I don’t like changes to plans I’ve made and when other people are involved, I’m constantly asking “what’s the plan?” Mostly because I want to know what to expect and have the least number of surprises happen. I'm a little rigid.

--Before my Asperger’s diagnosis I’ve been alternately diagnosed as being lactose intolerant, ADD, depression. While all of those are comorbid conditions of AS, they didn’t all seem right somehow, because they only addressed a small part of the whole. I’ve been on an autism forum, and one of the things that strikes me is how people talk about how they feel misunderstood, that nobody else goes through what we do. I have to argue against that, though. We experience the same exact things as non-autistics: emotions, sensory input, and so on, but we feel them to a much more intense degree (and that’s why we end up having sensory integration problems or being HSPs).

Anyways, enough of my rambling! If you want to take a stab at this, go ahead; if not, then no hard feelings!

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
You sound INTP although I'm not sure what to make of your "thinking inside the box" and planning/rigid comments. Those make me think INTJ maybe.

I'd say post your test scores and try to form an argument against them if you don't agree.

I

Infinite Bubble

INFJ I'd say. Or a well-rounded INTP.

It’s always the same patterns, the same images, but I’m always turning things over in my mind, trying to see them in a different light.

That's probably Ni. Introverted perception is all about a blueprint of inner patterns (Ni) or concrete data (Si) that you've stored in your mind.

I believe I’m actually Fe>Ti. I rely a lot on other people’s opinions.

You do come across as Fe>Ti to me actually. But one thing suggests that this Fe has developed later on:

I’ve since realized that people do notice what you wear and make judgments about it and you (like it or not; that’s the sad truth), so I’ve adjusted my appearance to suit social norms.

I'm a little insure about that, but Ni seems to suit you better, so for now I'll stick with INFJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have an MBTI personality test for you.

Aspie aspiring

Thanks for your responses! Sometimes it's hard to tell if my perception is actually related to my personality, or if it's a result of the AS (sometimes I think I even mold myself to my diagnosis, because I'm not quite as affected as I act). My test results always come out as INTJ, but from what I've read about that type, it's not me. But I have a pretty hard shell for an F type.

Sunny Ghost

I keep thinking INTP or INFJ for some reason. Both use Fe and Ti to some degree. The kaleidoscopic image sounds more Ni than Ne. But I guess you'd have to assess that for yourself. Ni/Se or Ne/Si. The rigid plans sounds like a bit of Si.

Aspie aspiring

Superunknown, that's interesting! Where do you see ENTP as a possibility?

(likewise, to the other people who have posted here, why INTP or INFJ?)

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You sound like my INFJ brother. ;)
He is brilliant and a thinker- even though he's not a thinker, you know?
Just all the bullets you listed- were like ALL HIM. lol
Good luck figuring it out- if anything- it seems you are totally in the ball park!
And one last thing- don't worry so much about a potential mate not getting you per se. Get out there and meet guys. Don't put time frames or expectations on the process. Just dip your toe in the water! You never know what fun you might have (or where it could lead to!) ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think you definitely can. Asperger's may affect it but doesn't define it.

To me, you sound INFJ.

I_FJ you kind of laid out for us, and it sounds like it fits. It sounds like you tend to process first in a more personal, F>T way, as you indicated. I don't see any indication for P, but plenty for J. Ni based on the "kaleidoscope". Si is more linear, I think. More aggregating and less spinning and reflecting.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to agree with the rest, tough call between INTP and INFJ

Aspie aspiring

You sound like my INFJ brother. ;)
He is brilliant and a thinker- even though he's not a thinker, you know?
Just all the bullets you listed- were like ALL HIM. lol
Good luck figuring it out- if anything- it seems you are totally in the ball park!
And one last thing- don't worry so much about a potential mate not getting you per se. Get out there and meet guys. Don't put time frames or expectations on the process. Just dip your toe in the water! You never know what fun you might have (or where it could lead to!) ;)

Thank you very much! Actually, thank you everyone for your input here. I'm going to do some more research to see what I find and connect with (I also identify heavily with the type 5 in the Enneagram, which is why I sometimes think I'm a thinking type).