• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

On Multiple Enneagram Types

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey guys, I couldn't find anything too descriptive about it on the FAQ stickies so I thought I'd jump the gun and make a thread on it.

What's the consensus on having multiple Enneagram types? I see this quite a lot on people's signatures and personality descriptions.

I feel as if when I'm alone, with my identity stripped down to its bare bones, thinking about my philosophies and motivations in life in a bigger picture sense, I'm a solid 4w5.

But lately I've noticed when I'm being social, working on a project, trying something new or just keeping myself busy enough to "forget myself" in a sense, I show traits of a counter phobic 6/7, in that "I don't want to be alone, I need to conquer all my fears so that people will like me, I don't want to stay still, I need to explore every opportunity given to me" kind of way. Nervous energy is the best way to describe it.

I also feel like I'm slipping into type 2 territory as well. "Mr motivator," is my new nickname with all my drinking buddies. Building people up, offering people help and advice without a second thought, putting others first before myself at any given opportunity, almost to the point where people could be taking advantage of me and I wouldn't be aware of it. And I think part of the reason I act this way is the hope that people will repay that kindness in some way in a karmic sense, which seems like a type 2 kind of thing.

The Ennegram system is very confusing to me at the minute. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Concur_Withall

MBTI Type
NFJ
We have all 9 ennegrams, but we tend to fall into certain ones over others. I basically look at it as: what has been the theme of your behaviour so far? How could you develop other behaviours to better round yourself out and develop as a person?

Right now I am a Type 1. Striving for Perfection. But was I always like that? I've not had many 3,7,8 traits, at least not since I was much younger.

My stripped down enneagram test:

Does your behaviour tend to be:
a) going by the rules and expectations of others, b) removing yourself from situations and going into your mind, c) taking control over situations so they go your way

Do you tend to make more reference to:
a) the detached, reasoned out aspects of a situation, b) what you believe to be right and true, c) your instincts and trained impulses

Does you feel that your survival is based more on:
a) keeping optimistic regarding events, b) training your skills and remaining on top of your game, c) being passionate about whatever you are doing

Do you think that you would fare better in:
a) a simpler community, with few and non-overlapping roles, b) a more complex community, with more varied and overlapping roles

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have all 9 ennegrams, but we tend to fall into certain ones over others. I basically look at it as: what has been the theme of your behaviour so far? How could you develop other behaviours to better round yourself out and develop as a person?

Right now I am a Type 1. Striving for Perfection. But was I always like that? I've not had many 3,7,8 traits, at least not since I was much younger.

My stripped down enneagram test:

Does your behaviour tend to be:
a) going by the rules and expectations of others, b) removing yourself from situations and going into your mind, c) taking control over situations so they go your way

Do you tend to make more reference to:
a) the detached, reasoned out aspects of a situation, b) what you believe to be right and true, c) your instincts and trained impulses

Does you feel that your survival is based more on:
a) keeping optimistic regarding events, b) training your skills and remaining on top of your game, c) being passionate about whatever you are doing

Do you think that you would fare better in:
a) a simpler community, with few and non-overlapping roles, b) a more complex community, with more varied and overlapping roles

You see, this is what I mean. My behavior completely fluctuates depending on what kind of mood I'm in or what I'm doing at the time. Having a lot a' trouble picking just one answer out of the bunch.

Best way to describe it right now is like having two sides to myself on autopilot. Fi and Ne mode.

When I'm alone and processing things internally:

b) removing yourself from situations and going into your mind
b) what you believe to be right and true
a) keeping optimistic regarding events,
b) a more complex community, with more varied and overlapping roles

When I'm in the thick of reality and exploring life through a series of gut reactions:

c) taking control over situations so they go your way
c) your instincts and trained impulses
c) being passionate about whatever you are doing
b) a more complex community, with more varied and overlapping roles

I'd say I feel my most "myself" as a type 4, but then again, there's this other side of me that I'm becoming quite attached to, which is why I'm looking at Enneagram for possible explanations. Any thoughts on that?

gromit

likes this
Some people subscribe to the idea of tritypes, that we each have a heart, a gut, and a mind (?) enneagram focus.

Other people say NO, you only have your type and your wing (and your instinctual variants).

Since it's a tool for self-insight, I think you should use it however best helps you to grow as an individual and in terms of your interactions with other people in your life. This kind of thing (enneagram, MBTI, etc) can be unhelpful/counterproductive when people use it to excuse themselves from working on difficult growth tasks, or to isolate themselves from others, etc.

Concur_Withall

MBTI Type
NFJ
Your first reponses correspond best to 2 or 4. Your second responses correspond to 8.

You're learning more about yourself and realising that you have the potential to be more than you currently are. You wish to assert yourself and move into a leadership role. You are seeing the difference between yourself before you learn something, and after you have learned it. There is probably much more to it which you have insight over moreso than myself.

There is a lot of good stuff packed into Typology, and mostly it is what you make of it. We need to get over this whole "Which Type am I?" BS and realise that we are who we are, and there are resources all around to help us realise it.

An alternate interpretation:

You are a Type 2. When stressed out you resemble the Type 8, and when secure resemble the Type 4.

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some people subscribe to the idea of tritypes, that we each have a heart, a gut, and a mind (?) enneagram focus.

Other people say NO, you only have your type and your wing (and your instinctual variants).

Since it's a tool for self-insight, I think you should use it however best helps you to grow as an individual and in terms of your interactions with other people in your life. This kind of thing (enneagram, MBTI, etc) can be unhelpful/counterproductive when people use it to excuse themselves from working on difficult growth tasks, or to isolate themselves from others, etc.

Hmmm... I suppose the concept of tritypes does sound more appealing in my situation right now. Having just one Enneagram type seems unnecessarily stifling for people looking to explore parts of themselves that could benefit them in terms of personal growth.

I still have doubts, like, would me feeling like a type 2 be linked in with a 4's disintegration or a wing for an integrated 1 personality?

I'll have to look into this a little bit deeper. Thanks, man.

Your first reponses correspond best to 2 or 4. Your second responses correspond to 8.

You're learning more about yourself and realising that you have the potential to be more than you currently are. You wish to assert yourself and move into a leadership role. You are seeing the difference between yourself before you learn something, and after you have learned it. There is probably much more to it which you have insight over moreso than myself.

There is a lot of good stuff packed into Typology, and mostly it is what you make of it. We need to get over this whole "Which Type am I?" BS and realise that we are who we are, and there are resources all around to help us realise it.

I think this is a wonderful perspective of what Typology can do for you as a person. I think it's time for me to take a backseat and stop obsessing over the details so much.

An alternate interpretation:

You are a Type 2. When stressed out you resemble the Type 8, and when secure resemble the Type 4.

Ho-lee shit, just blew my mind there dude. Never even considered that possibility before.