• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an ISTP or ISFP?

Doc

Originally I thought I was an ISTP but recently I've noticed that I may have ISFP traits as well.

So far I know that I'm introverted because I'm not that comfortable around a large group of people, and even among my friends I'm fairly detached. I know that I'm S rather than N because I'm very action-oriented. I know I'm P rather than J because I'm spontaneous and don't like to live under strict standards. It's a matter of T or F.

Case for ISTP:
I'm quite practical. I don't buy things unless I have to, and this Christmas I'm thinking of getting a Swiss Army Knife because it seems like a fantastic multi-tool.

Very good hand-eye coordination. Use my skills in either sports or use of tools.

Practical > aesthetics. For example, if I was to evaluate a device, I wouldn't really care much for how it looks. I put a ton more importance on whether it works.

Trying to be an artist bores me.

I usually have a difficult time verbally expressing emotions.

I've been compared to Spock due to the lack of my outward emotions.

I've had difficulty with empathy.

I can be quite volatile. My views, mood, etc. can change day by day.

Generally aloof and distant from people.

I'm an engineering major and I really can't imagine being anything else.

I spent much of my childhood playing with LEGOs.

I'm generally fairly straightforward and concise.

I'm VERY easily bored and will usually give up on some sort of project if I get bored of it. For example, I won't finish a book if I find it boring.

Case for ISFP:

Sometimes I let my emotions get the best of me. When I get really upset or angry I have a difficult time focusing on what I have to do.

I can provide emotional support to those who need it.

I have a hard time letting go of things and can have difficult having that "F*** it" attitude that ISTPs are seemingly famous for. I can have long lasting regrets, and can bottle up anger for years.

I can easily be hurt, even though I don't show it, and people being judgemental makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

I can be a bit whiny, perhaps sometimes as a way to get pity.

I don't really like conflicts. Sometimes I quit during arguments because I get tired of the conflict.

I'm guilty of being passive sometimes, especially when disciplining people.

I do open up to people who are very close to me. And only people who are very close to me.

I do tend to analyze people and try to understand the deeper meaning of things.

I can be clingy sometimes.

Can be overly concerned/anxious/nervous about things.

I do like deep quotes

I used to write poems that a few of my friends actually thought were very good.

So far these are the ones that I can come up with for the time being. There may be more, but I forgot.

So what am I?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Congratulations, you're an ISTP.

If you want more than a guess from an internet stranger, the best thing is probably to read up on Ti and Fi and see which one appeals to you more. They're very different, and antagonize each other in some ways. ex: are you more likely to be accused by others of being rude, or overly sensitive? Are you more often baffled at the things that upset some people, or baffled at why people can be so harsh and uncaring of other people's feelings? etc

W

WALMART

Jung thought Se types often value aesthetics over practicality, to the point of often convincing his entourage that slight inconvenience can enhance experience.

On topic, I can't really tell between Ti or Fi, though to be honest, I didn't try too hard. You're probably fairly in the middle. I mostly just wanted to interject this little piece of thought above.

Sunny Ghost

Not everything I purchase is due to aesthetic appeal. :p I DO consider utility. Some ISFP males can appear more ISTP due to social upbringing.

I've also known ISTP males to have crazy bursts of emotional outpouring. I remember my old ISTP roommate sobbing when him and his girlfriend were at a rocky point. And the ISTP my roommate is dating right now has his very sweet and sensitive side, too. Thinker's are not robots.