• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me and my friend?

Walcott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Two people doubting their types in one convenient thread. Lucky you!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Me: Pretty much everything. I've tested as a bunch of different types, and I need some concrete evidence as to why I'm one type and not any of the others.

Her: I've been typed plenty of times before and I've already somewhat settled on a type for myself, but I'd like confirmation, and also (as always) I have some creeping sense of doubt. Although that's probably more Enneagram-related than MBTI-related.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Me: To be happy with how I'm living, however that is.

Her: I yearn for a sense of achievement, belonging, and happiness. I guess you could say that I yearn for success -- in a general sense, because I define success by my own standards and not those of other people. So whatever made me feel accomplished in life -- should I ever achieve such a state -- is what I yearn for. (Vague answer is vague.)

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Me: The thing is, I can't really think of a time when I was "at my finest." It would probably have something to do with how content I am with life (like I answered in #2) though.
In terms of feeling great, I feel that way when I think I'm going in the right direction, and when I feel excited about something coming up in my life. If I'm not excited about something, I'm probably not feeling so hot.

Her: Have I ever been at 'my finest'? Probably not. I feel best when I've worked hard, gotten a lot done, and have time to relax. Or when I've conquered something I was afraid of, like some fear of something I was dreading -- that glorious sense of relief afterwards. I dig that. But I don't think I've lived long enough to officially say I've reached my "finest point".

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Me: People who are happier and more successful than me, especially people who are my own age. Even if their achievements are relatively minor and/or are for something I'm not interested in, I still feel inferior to them.

Her: Primarily? Things that I set my mind to accomplish that I fall short on. It's like, "why even bother if I'm not good enough to achieve X?" Or when I lose my temper. I feel godawful when I lose my temper because it means I've lost control of myself and I work very hard to maintain control of my emotions. Can't let those things run wild, they'll bite you in the ass eventually.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Me: I think about how it will help me in the future, and then how it will look on a college application or a job resume. So selfish, I know.

Her: All of the above. I do tend to side with logic more than emotions. Like, trust me, I'm a highly emotional person (I cry at the drop of a hat, I can't watch emotional films because I end up getting attached to the characters, and I get super fuzzy and gross when it comes to babies and small animals) but I will ultimately choose the side of logic. I just can't do something if it doesn't make sense. I have to consider all the possible outcomes and analyze the most likely ones, plan out my possible courses of actions, I swear to god, doing something simple will have me coming up with mental flowcharts. I'm very much a 'logical thinker', and although I'll admit to emotions having some say, it's marginal compared to the say I give to plain reasoning.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Me: I'm not really sure how to answer the first part of the question, but I know that I don't have to have control of the outcome as long as I think it makes sense in some way. I'm really not a great leader.

Her: I need to have control of the outcome. I don't necessarily need to be THE leader, although I generally prefer it to a lesser role and gravitate towards being in some position of power, but I need to have significant amounts of control. I'm kind of a control freak. I don't really get the first part of the question, since that would depend on the kind of project.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Me: I guess the last time I had a lot of fun that was pretty recently was when I went to the concert of one of my favorite bands, (my first favorite band actually, because you were totally curious.) It was the first concert I've ever been to, and I went with two really good friends of mine, and I can honestly say it was the best night of my life. My memory of certain parts of it is shaky, but most of it is very clear in my head. I remember how the weather was, what the lead singers in all 3 performances were wearing, how the stage was set up, etc. etc. etc.
There's really not a time when I'm not having fun, though.

Her: I have a lot of fun every day. Damn, this question is vague. Is this testing the perception functions with how honed Si is vs. Ni and whatnot? Because I literally cannot remember a specific time I had a lot of fun. I have a lot of fun when I'm with friends, and I have a shit ton of fun when I go to concerts because music is virtually (actually, pretty literally) my life, but there's no one time that sticks out above the others.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Me: I'm a very visual learner, and a pretty good memorizer. (Not a word, but just deal with it.) I have to see something done before me to know what I'm doing, but once I see it, I know exactly what I need to do and the steps I need to take to finish it. Verbal instruction is usually pretty okay with me as well, as long as it's clear.

Her: Depends on what I'm learning. If something resonates with me in some way, I usually remember it. I have a pretty huge store of random, useless knowledge because of that. But if I'm presented with some unfamiliar concept and I need to understand it, if it's something that this is applicable to, I generally just try to understand it, analyze it, get to the core ideas. And if I don't understand it based on those principles, I memorize it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Me: Not very. I'm good at organizing, but I'm not good at... you know, staying that way.

Her: Not very. When I take on new projects, I can be super organized, but when it comes to personal space I'm severely lacking. I'm the kind of girl that constantly makes lists just to get done menial, unimportant tasks, yet can't keep things off the floor to save her life.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Me: I see the pros and cons of it and see how we can fit aspects of it in to any of my ideas if I don't think it's better than any ideas I've had.

Her: Both, absolutely. I can't do one without the other, can I? I'm naturally the kind of person who's always looking things up. Wikipedia is my best friend, I'm not joking. I look things up so I can understand the principles behind them and other things that expand on them, and I also have to mentally break it down to its core so I get a clearer understanding.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Me: I'm my own person. I couldn't handle myself if I lived to please others. Still though, I feel like an asshole if I'm in control of how everyone is doing, so even though I think of myself as very independent, I can change to a hive-mind with the rest of the group very quickly if I have to.

Her: A pretty bad question to determine Fi vs Fe, but whatever. I 'find harmony' by making sure that things are going well according to my standards.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Me: Thinks before speaking, and definitely one-on-one. Group discussions stress me out; too many opinions and agreements and debates flying back and forth.

Her: Oh god, I can't speak without thinking, because I'm terrified of making some sort of horrible social blunder and then dwelling on it for the rest of my life. I like to appear knowledgeable, so I don't just say things that would be very unwise of me to say, and I sometimes miss out on opportunities because I was too afraid to voice an opinion, or a question, or a thought.
In general, I prefer group discussions, because there's less awkward pauses. I hate awkwardness so much. But I really don't care whether it's one-on-one or group as long as it's flowing well.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Me: I always have to know what I'm jumping into before I get into it, unless it involves people I trust. If I don't know what I'm doing, at least I'm friends with someone who does.

Her: I look before I leap, absolutely. Once again, perpetually afraid of doing something wrong, especially if it might ruin my chances at something.
Actions and words can speak equally as loud.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Me: If I even answer the phone, I say that I'm busy unless they're inviting me over to watch the show over at their place. Sharing the beauty of television together is what friendship is all about, right?

Her: Are you kidding? I'd haul my ass out of there. Shows can be recorded or paused and you can resume them later. A social life cannot. I love spending time out doing things with people I enjoy, so I'd seize the opportunity if presented to me, absolutely. People are fun. Going out is fun. Life is fun. And unless the show is something I was really, really looking forward to for some reason, I figure I can just come back to it later and have the best of both worlds.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Me: It usually depends on what I'm stressed out about. About 98% of the time, I just feel my stomach tighten and I shake, but verbally and mentally I'm usually pretty stable. Acting out when stressed hasn't worked well for me, so I've learned to channel it and control it to work with me instead of against me.
The other 2% of the time, it's because I feel legitimately hopeless and I see no way out of this situation, so I get snappy and frantic and look for someone to either help me get out of it or go down with me.

Her: I get overly anxious and worried, a bit snappy, and I rationalize everything. I have a tendency to go very easy on myself when I'm stressed out, but I also have a tendency to be a perfectionist and to always want to succeed and feel terrible if I think I'm falling short of succeeding at something. So when I'm under stress, I tend to get anxious, which leads to me being depressed, which leads to me not getting things done, which leads to me being more depressed.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Me: Loudness. Pretentiousness. Apathy. I don't know, I tend to dislike people who don't care about anything, but I also don't like people who are always emotional about every single thing that happens to them. Balance is nice.

Her: I have a looooooot of pet peeves. I'd say one of my major ones is ignorance. Not when people aren't very knowledgeable and are interested in learning more, but God, when they're not knowledgeable but insist that their perspective is 'right' just because it's theirs -- no, stop that. Or when people put others down just for their own enjoyment. Stop that, you're an asshole.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Me: Whatever I'm interested in: television shows, music, movies, symbolism in any of those things, criminology, art, science, blah blah blah. In most of my friend circles, I'm the one who knows the most about Breaking Bad, so there's that.

Her: Psychology, sociology (in many different forms. I love discussing how society views different concepts!), but mostly music. It's my passion. I love it more than anything, so I love talking to people about it, whether they're more or less knowledgeable than I am.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
Me: My emotions for sure. Sometimes I'll be sitting alone in my room, listening to music, reading articles online, and then I'll realize that I'm... sad? Stressed, maybe? And then I lay down on the bed and panic a little, and curl up in a blanket and just wait for it to subside, and then get back to doing whatever I was doing. I also apparently look like I'm about to cry or something sometimes, which is annoying, because people always feel obligated to ask me if I'm okay. Like, believe me, honey, I would never cry in front of people. Don't you worry.

Her: I tend to not pay a lot of attention to myself, in terms of health, and then I realize how shitty I've been treating myself and freak out over minor issues. Sometimes I'm so busy doing things that I forget to eat, or mainly to drink water. I often find myself with fatigue and headaches and realize that I haven't drank any water all day. Or I'll forget to go to the bathroom or that I haven't been up from my seat in hours because I was so focused on other things. It can be pretty terrible. I'm really bad at taking care of myself.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Me: God, I don't know. I guess they would never say I'm ditsy, or exceptionally loud. All I know is that they think I'm very chill, (one of my friends brought this up the other day, because they were talking about how they're always upset about things and how they've never seen me upset, which didn't really surprise me, but it really confirmed a lot of things,) but beyond that I don't have any ideas.

Her: How the hell should I know, really? I hope they perceive me as a cool person. I know a lot of people think I seem somewhat intimidating personality-wise at first. Or they think I'm a lot more confident than I actually am. Some words my friends would never call me...selfless, humorless, idiotic, impulsive, quiet.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Me: I'm guessing this is just with the resources I have available, so just staying in and watching Netflix and going online - basically what I do on any day off I have - is totally fine with me.

Her: Reading, drinking coffee, browsing the internet, hanging out with friends, going to a concert, going to some other event. I really like spending my free time learning and collecting knowledge (and then testing my knowledge), hanging out with people, and listening to music.

Thanks in advance from the both of us, and we're both here to answer any additional questions you may have.

Last edited:

Walcott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Person B says "IVE BEE AWITING FORA GODDAMN MONTH AND A HALF FUCKING POST ALREADY OU FUCKING BITCHES"

Alea_iacta_est

NOT AN EXPERT: CAN BARELY FIGURE OUT OWN TYPE (excepting Enneagram), but

OP: Due to your somewhat vivid memory of the concert you were talking about in number 7, yet difficulty in determining what the experience actually meant to you, may suggest more Se, but I'm still not entirely sure. I think definitely IxTP, but I'm unsure on your interpreting function.
No fucking clue for Enneagram, wasn't really paying attention due to obvious Enneagram trail being left by your friend.

Her: Methinks most likely ENTJ (has the rational attitude and perfectionism, was thinking ENFJ but I thought Fi use was more prominent than Fe). For Enneagram I'd say there is an absolute definite presence of Type 1 with a Type 3 fix.

You guys may want to go hit up [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] on his thread to take his MBTI inventory test, I think it's pretty good and much better than me sitting here trying to figure you guys out. Warning: It's about 112 questions long.

Walcott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5

OP: Due to your somewhat vivid memory of the concert you were talking about in number 7, yet difficulty in determining what the experience actually meant to you, may suggest more Se, but I'm still not entirely sure. I think definitely IxTP, but I'm unsure on your interpreting function.
No fucking clue for Enneagram, wasn't really paying attention due to obvious Enneagram trail being left by your friend.

Her: Methinks most likely ENTJ (has the rational attitude and perfectionism, was thinking ENFJ but I thought Fi use was more prominent than Fe). For Enneagram I'd say there is an absolute definite presence of Type 1 with a Type 3 fix.

Thanks a lot! You pretty much confirmed what both of us initially thought.

Still open to more responses! -glares pointedly at the 139 people who have viewed this thread and not responded-

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
uummm... I think I know your enneagrams?? You seem like a six based on first impression. 6w5???

Your friend seems like an extrovert. I was thinking Te ...but maybe Se dom. I think E3 is a very strong option as core, but that's just my first impression. I feel like I see some 8 or 7 in there.

You seem introverted... ish. Not a feeler, and you don't seem super intuitive from where I am standing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You guys may want to go hit up [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] on his thread to take his MBTI inventory test, I think it's pretty good and much better than me sitting here trying to figure you guys out. Warning: It's about 112 questions long.

Yes it is - compared to the official MBTI which is 160 questions long and comes with a fee.

Walcott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
uummm... I think I know your enneagrams?? You seem like a six based on first impression. 6w5???

You seem introverted... ish. Not a feeler, and you don't seem super intuitive from where I am standing.

Introverted-ish pretty much describes me at this point in the game. And I've known I'm not a feeler from the beginning but everything else is pretty foggy.

Here's what the anonymous friend says:
"They got the enneagram types spot on; 6w5 for (my) core, and I'm a core 3w4 with an 8w7 fix but definitely not an Se dom."

Thanks from the both of us!