• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type 7 & 2 Mistypes

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After a cumbersome intro due to too much personal eagerness within my head to resolve 'something' , I've come to find or rather reassess the enneagram more thoroughly. Initially when typed I do believe I had been told I am most likely a 7 for such a long time that when I took the questionnaire, when people decided 7, I didn't question it as much as I no doubt should have. It's not that I hadn't read the description or that I didn't relate to it, I did! and still do .. but rather, the majority of my personal details *the deepest of waters of experience* are omitted and therefore, people look to what I post and my interactions from an edited perspective. I don't feel bad because it is not that I am unauthentic but rather prefer the discretion as to how I've come to have the views I have at this point in time. Anyways, I'm curious and would appreciate any thoughts and opinions about these two types being masked as the other (not on purpose).

Does a healthy 7 appear more 2ish and vice versa?

What other factors might contribute towards the confusion?

What are the major differences between the two expressed in every day examples if at all possible.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
is this maybe related to 7w6 or to 7s who have 2 in their tritype? you could never forsake me a 2 for instance, i'm way more in the direction of the 4 (and am w8 not w6)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could be the tritype more so than 7s appearing 2ish.

Yeah, I first typed myself as a 2 because I related to it so much. Then I read 7 and I was like oh! what? that's me too!

Turns out, I'm a 729, so that explains the case of the mysterious 2 in my life.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/members/misid/2and7.asp#.Um1JUxBylzI
Misidentifying Twos and Sevens

These types are frequently mistaken because both can be emotional and histrionic, although the emotions of Sevens are more labile (changing quickly) than the feelings of Twos. Average Twos are friendly and effusive, even gushy and dramatic, although they take pains to express their warm, personal appreciation of other people. They are deeply feeling (one of the types in the Feeling Triad), and their feelings are intimately connected with their sense of self, their behavior, and their interactions with others.

Average Sevens are also histrionic in that they dramatize their emotions flamboyantly, although their emotions are usually shorter lived and wide-ranging–from elation to delight to giddiness to flightiness to highly negative displays of anger, frustration, vituperation, and rage at others. Twos, while needing to express their feelings, tend to be more low-keyed. (Unless they are very unhealthy, Twos do not express their anger at others as openly, nor do they ever display the range of emotions–or such a dazzling variety of them–as Sevens.)

Although both types are gregarious and enjoy being with people, their interpersonal styles are noticeably different. The Two is more interpersonal, genuinely friendly and warm, and interested in others–they would like to be the heart and soul of a family or community, the best friend or confidant everyone comes to for attention, advice, and approval. Twos want to be significant to others and on intimate terms with them, although sometimes they go too far, meddling too much and being too solicitous to make sure they are needed.

By contrast, Sevens do not get as involved in other people's lives. Sevens do not see themselves as the center of a community or family, but as members of a free-floating band of fellow adventurers whose own enjoyment is enhanced by being with others. Sevens do not like to eat or drink alone, or go to the theater alone, or go on vacation alone, but this does not always mean that they are great lovers of people. But it is certainly true that their activities are more enjoyable when others are around to contribute to the excitement and stimulation they seek. To provide themselves with the company of others, Sevens may pay for the pleasure, buying tickets for poorer friends, inviting them to dinner or the country house, and so forth. Sevens may thus exhibit a certain generosity, although their motives may well have less to do with helping needier friends than with making sure that they themselves have a good time by having others around.

While average Twos want others to need them, average Sevens do not want to be needed by anyone: just the reverse, they have little patience for anyone who is too dependent on them since dependents become a drain on their resources and limit their freedom. Average Twos can be possessive of their friends because they feel they have invested a lot of time and emotional energy in them and do not want to see them drift away. Average Sevens tend to be less attached to people. ("Fine. If you don't want to be with me, there are always more fish in the sea.") Sevens can be devoted to loved ones like anyone else, but they refuse to cling. Once they decide that a relationship is not working, they can end them fairly quickly. They may feel sad for a time, but seldom have regrets about their decisions. Twos can leave relationships behind as well, but have a lot more difficulty letting go.

Lastly, although Sevens are action-oriented and expressive, they are primarily thinking types. They are quick-witted and like to fill their minds with interesting possibilities and concepts. Although Twos can certainly be bright and knowledgeable, they really are feeling types and the juice for them is in the sharing of feelings and intimacies. It is probable that more Sevens misidentify themselves as Twos than vice versa. The differences between Leo Buscaglia and Ann Landers (Twos), and Timothy Leary and Joan Rivers (Sevens) may clarify these two types.

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem is I relate to the two and I relate to the seven and if I reflect on my life since childhood, I still very much relate to both. If I were to be asked what the objective of life is, I would answer, "to learn and grow" whereas the literature suggests 2's see the objective of life to be loved and needed. Interestingly enough, my behavior is more reflective as the latter despite my inclination to want to be independent and separate from those around me.

I was reading through the initial thread created and noticed how I kept struggling in my head regarding the presence of 2w1 in my personality. Although much of that presence is felt when involved with someone. The problem is if I were to type myself as 7w6, it just doesn't jive with my way of being and take on 'relationship'. Also, I've had painful experiences of loss, one of which is where I could never take back the way I operated at that time (less self aware). Not that this is the actual scenario but imagine the situation where you're in an argument, a severe one at that and then the person passes away. Imagine it being someone like a family member or spouse. While I've recovered from the experience (yet another reason why I considered myself core 7: I've better coping mechanisms than anyone I've ever met irl), I do believe that experience altered my perception on relationship drastically, taking a more 7-ish approach of autonomy . Yet while within a very emotionally intimate context, I absolutely need to have reassurance and I long to be needed and appreciated. However again, I have a hard time differentiating as to weather the latter is due to past experience when I've been taken for granted.

The reason it's important to me in figuring it out as well is to calm myself. I tend to not fall out of love with people but rather, when the dynamic goes unromantic I continue loving that person closely in maybe what could be described as familial. And I'm not so sure if this trait correlates with a core 7 way of being. Not to mention it is by and large frowned upon or seen as a little over the top crazy(inappropriate maybe). I also have a hard time communicating my deeper desires and needs within a relationship scenario.

Any thoughts on how someone might weed out what is in effect from experience and the lessons gained therefrom in relation to determining what effects of personality could be attributed towards enneagram ?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After a cumbersome intro due to too much personal eagerness within my head to resolve 'something' , I've come to find or rather reassess the enneagram more thoroughly. Initially when typed I do believe I had been told I am most likely a 7 for such a long time that when I took the questionnaire, when people decided 7, I didn't question it as much as I no doubt should have. It's not that I hadn't read the description or that I didn't relate to it, I did! and still do .. but rather, the majority of my personal details *the deepest of waters of experience* are omitted and therefore, people look to what I post and my interactions from an edited perspective. I don't feel bad because it is not that I am unauthentic but rather prefer the discretion as to how I've come to have the views I have at this point in time. Anyways, I'm curious and would appreciate any thoughts and opinions about these two types being masked as the other (not on purpose).
Does a healthy 7 appear more 2ish and vice versa?
What other factors might contribute towards the confusion?
What are the major differences between the two expressed in every day examples if at all possible.

if we exclude tritype (obviously, every type with a 2 fix is going to seem somewhat 2-ish), the only 7 I can see looking like a 2 is the Social 7w6 (which is the "anti-gluttony", community focused subtype of the bunch). 7s in general are much more selfish than 2s, more emotionally independent and tend to take social interaction less seriously than a 2. for 2s, social bonds and feeling needed are the fuel of their self esteem, so it's a bigger deal to them and something they make more of an effort to influence. 7s lack this depends on people. if the outside world doesn't validate their awesomeness, they can simply go up into their head and

these videos describe the differences well

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that chick is awesome

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Agreed!! [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] thank you so much for posting those vids!
while I'm still sorting out the order of my enneagram set up, I must admit those vids clarified a lot for me. thank you :)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] please pay attention

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] please pay attention

I don't have the time or attention span to watch the videos right now but if you have any thoughts about it I'd love to hear it. :yes:

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I posted those videos on the other forum I frequent. They were absolutely a fantastic compliment to literature I've read! However I must admit I'm not certain still because I don't relate to the 'crazy' of the 2 as is articulated in the extreme in literature, and my flavor of '2' is quite 7. I'm afraid the difficulty I'm having in particular is that I'm older maybe? I see much of my coping mechanisms as a result from experience and efforts in order to constantly do things better next time around so to speak. So is this attributed towards the 7's propensity to focus in the future or is it common sense as I'm sure any persons of any type would put forth effort if they were in my circumstances. Maybe not all types as I see often parents of special needs children suffer from depression which in afraid I can't relate to in its clinical form.

How frustrating it is unraveling the knots in my head to understand myself better. What is with this preoccupation towards understanding myself and people on such an inordinate manner!

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I thought only very social and outgoing 2w3s and 7w6s would start to look alike. But for an INFJ? seems unlikely. IxxJ is like the opposite of 7.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed!! [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] thank you so much for posting those vids!
while I'm still sorting out the order of my enneagram set up, I must admit those vids clarified a lot for me. thank you :)

no probs, ningsta kitty

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought only very social and outgoing 2w3s and 7w6s would start to look alike. But for an INFJ? seems unlikely. IxxJ is like the opposite of 7.

Yes yes. I know. It's a long story. :p

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just watched the videos. So the difference is a 7 is addicted to drugs, but a 2 is the drug.