• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

so confused about my type

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You sound like a Limbic INFP to me.

"Limbic" refers to the Big Five temperament dimension that isn't included in the Myers-Briggs typology and is often referred to as "neuroticism" (although it isn't a psychological disorder). The Big Five/SLOAN typology labels it Emotional Stability and refers to the two poles as Calm and Limbic. Being Limbic on that dimension tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic, and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs.

I'd be curious to see your results on the official "Step I" MBTI, which you can take here.

And, if you're interested, the Big Five test I generally point people to is this similarminds Big Five/SLOAN test, which will (purport to) type you on the Emotional Stability dimension (in addition to the four Big Five dimensions with substantial MBTI correlations). And I've put some more information about the Big Five and that similarminds test in the spoiler.

Also, in case they're of any use to you, the next spoiler has online profile roundups for the four IF types (although I really don't see ISFJ as a possibility for you).

If your test results seem to narrow you down to two (or three) likeliest possibilities, a possible way to give prospective type-me contributors more information to go on is to read through some profiles of those types and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction — but, if you're going to take those linked tests and post your results, you may want to do that first and wait to get some more feedback on those before you decide which profiles it makes sense to be reading.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm both an MBTI dweeb and a hardcore T, and I don't do long posts like this (most of which are recycled anyway) as selfless, other-oriented "acts of service" — so please don't feel the slightest obligation to take either of those tests or read any of those profiles or otherwise pay any attention to anything in this post beyond what you're motivated to do for your own selfish reasons.

lume

Makes sense you wouldn't have an opinion on something you don't care about. So what is important to you?

school is very important to me, like keeping up and having good grades, it's just perfectionism. Then what's important to me is to keep to the rules, like being punctual, behaving well, things like that. For example if I notice that friends of mine are doing bad things (like stealing) I would distance myself from such people, because that's an important value for me. And that's generally important to me, behaving well, being good ...

if I think at normal school discussions the topics don't really interest me. For example we had an discussion about feminism today and ok yes it's important and so on but I don't think people should stress so much about such things, because a few people went crazy or something. Or a friend of mine is always fighting with people about things where I would say it's really useless to discuss about that.

I just care about "myself" like things I could improve or something, and I care about people if I really like them.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
so could I be an ENFP or something? haha
Ok I don't even know if there's any type fitting me :(

Oh, no, I doubt you're an extravert. :)

No need to worry. In my opinion, type is "best fit". You choose to label yourself by what fits best, and if you realize something exists which fits better, then you can always change it.

B

brainheart

school is very important to me, like keeping up and having good grades, it's just perfectionism. Then what's important to me is to keep to the rules, like being punctual, behaving well, things like that. For example if I notice that friends of mine are doing bad things (like stealing) I would distance myself from such people, because that's an important value for me. And that's generally important to me, behaving well, being good ...

if I think at normal school discussions the topics don't really interest me. For example we had an discussion about feminism today and ok yes it's important and so on but I don't think people should stress so much about such things, because a few people went crazy or something. Or a friend of mine is always fighting with people about things where I would say it's really useless to discuss about that.

I just care about "myself" like things I could improve or something, and I care about people if I really like them.

Thanks for all of this. It's helping me see a picture of you in my head :)

Why are things like being punctual, behaving well, and following the rules important to you?

Why do you want to impress people?

What's your favorite thing to do? What's your favorite thing to eat? Why?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm into this mbti thing for a year now and I really can't tell which type I am. I first looked into letters and it made not much sense. But the functions didn't make sense either. What I'm pretty sure about is that I'm an introvert and probably a feeler, but I can't tell if I'm ISFP, ISFJ, INFP or INFJ. I'm not sure what to say so I'll just list things about me

-I'm hypersensitive, easily hurt or feeling criticized and I'm defensive then.
-I'm appearing cold, distant and withdrawn.
-I don't feel like I fit in, and I never felt so, I have like 3 friends which I really like, I just don't get along with people because they're making me feel anxious or they're annoying me - this combination is a bit weird maybe
-I often worry a lot
-I'm not easy to get along with because I keep my distance, it's like I want to get along with people but whenever I get to know someone they're becoming really clingy.
-Some people would say that I'm quite intelligent, and a friend of mine who also knows a bit about mbti said that I'm really not a sensor, but I'm not sure, maybe I'm a intelligent sensor?
-I tend to zone out and daydream a lot, my thoughts are floating away in nearly every situation and I'm easily distracted
-But I don't have a vision of change or something, ugh no really not.
-I would never ever like to work with people in my future (like a nurse or something)
-I'm a singer and I'm playing guitar
-I often have a deja-vu like feeling
-I'm moody as fuck
-I don't like to show my emotions but if you know me you can tell exactly how I feel just by looking at me.

I'm not sure whether I'm using Ni, Si or Fi as first function nor what my secound function could be, I have no clue, please help me.

Are you a Perceptive or a Judger?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like some combination of 469. Don't know which one.

lume

Thanks for all of this. It's helping me see a picture of you in my head :)

Why are things like being punctual, behaving well, and following the rules important to you?

Why do you want to impress people?

What's your favorite thing to do? What's your favorite thing to eat? Why?

no ploblem haha :) thank you for trying to figure out my type :)

I' doing this because that's just what I've ever done, like when I was a child I had to think of so many things that my mother should have thought of, I had to "stand on my own feet" really early because I just felt that my mother wasn't able to do so, she often forgot my doctor's appointments or something and I had to think of things like that. And getting up for school was also my part because my mother didn't woke me most of the time. And in the first and secound years of school I was always late, in the 3rd grade I was late on the first day and I just remember my teacher, she was sooo angry at me and I felt so bad. So this was the day I was really scared to be late, I was like 7 or something if that's important, so since that experience I'm overly punctual.

And I'm also so sensitive, I feel guilty a lot because I just can't stand knowing someone's angry at me.
Behaving well and following all rules was just like finding security for me, as I said it started when I was 4 or 5 years old I guess, I felt safe in this system (rules and laws) so this behavior just stayed.

And it's also so much easier to behave well because nobodys angry then and nobody stresses me. And as I said I feel guilt so easily.

I'm sorry,my english isn't so good, I hope you get what I mean :)

B

brainheart

I' doing this because that's just what I've ever done, like when I was a child I had to think of so many things that my mother should have thought of, I had to "stand on my own feet" really early because I just felt that my mother wasn't able to do so, she often forgot my doctor's appointments or something and I had to think of things like that. And getting up for school was also my part because my mother didn't woke me most of the time. And in the first and secound years of school I was always late, in the 3rd grade I was late on the first day and I just remember my teacher, she was sooo angry at me and I felt so bad. So this was the day I was really scared to be late, I was like 7 or something if that's important, so since that experience I'm overly punctual.

And I'm also so sensitive, I feel guilty a lot because I just can't stand knowing someone's angry at me.
Behaving well and following all rules was just like finding security for me, as I said it started when I was 4 or 5 years old I guess, I felt safe in this system (rules and laws) so this behavior just stayed.

And it's also so much easier to behave well because nobodys angry then and nobody stresses me. And as I said I feel guilt so easily.

Thanks. This goes along with my first impression. Considering I just retyped myself, however, you might want to be a little skeptical of what I'm saying. But I'm getting it from reading Carl Jung, so that's something.

I think you're probably an ISFJ. How you described your internal world reminds me of what I've read/heard introverted sensing to be like- kind of fuzzy and a place to be comforted when the outer world is bothering you. Also, the fact that you change your mind a lot and don't necessarily have strong opinions on a lot of things leans toward you being a dominant perceiver.

As far as the extroverted feeling component goes, many of your values seem to be a result of external reactions. I think people who are extroverted feelers are more likely to 'do what is expected' for the sake of harmonious relations. I think this comes naturally to dominant extroverted feelers- it's who they are. I think when it's an auxiliary function, however, it is more of an adaptive measure. I think an introverted perceiver can use it, in a sense, to keep relationships flowing smoothly so the inner world can remain their own. Because it's 'playing nice' and going along with what's expected, people don't really get to see the real you. For this reason I think, when used as a defensive measure vs in a good way, behaving this way can make you resentful towards others, and can make you think up little vindictive fantasies against others who have wronged you. When it's used in a good way it's a sign that you respect the needs of others and treat them how you would like to be treated.

I hope that isn't too hard to understand. I think your English is quite good, by the way :)

lume

Thanks. This goes along with my first impression. Considering I just retyped myself, however, you might want to be a little skeptical of what I'm saying. But I'm getting it from reading Carl Jung, so that's something.

I think you're probably an ISFJ. How you described your internal world reminds me of what I've read/heard introverted sensing to be like- kind of fuzzy and a place to be comforted when the outer world is bothering you. Also, the fact that you change your mind a lot and don't necessarily have strong opinions on a lot of things leans toward you being a dominant perceiver.

As far as the extroverted feeling component goes, many of your values seem to be a result of external reactions. I think people who are extroverted feelers are more likely to 'do what is expected' for the sake of harmonious relations. I think this comes naturally to dominant extroverted feelers- it's who they are. I think when it's an auxiliary function, however, it is more of an adaptive measure. I think an introverted perceiver can use it, in a sense, to keep relationships flowing smoothly so the inner world can remain their own. Because it's 'playing nice' and going along with what's expected, people don't really get to see the real you. For this reason I think, when used as a defensive measure vs in a good way, behaving this way can make you resentful towards others, and can make you think up little vindictive fantasies against others who have wronged you. When it's used in a good way it's a sign that you respect the needs of others and treat them how you would like to be treated.

I hope that isn't too hard to understand. I think your English is quite good, by the way :)

oh okay, I also thought about being ISFJ for a long time but what's making me sceptical is that ISFJ should make up like 14% of the population and I just feel so misunderstood all of the time, there's nobody who really understands me, so I think I never met someone the same type as me.
I never found a good explanation of Si that was the main problem, and somehow I identify with every introverted function..

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

ISFJ 9w1

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
oh okay, I also thought about being ISFJ for a long time but what's making me sceptical is that ISFJ should make up like 14% of the population and I just feel so misunderstood all of the time, there's nobody who really understands me, so I think I never met someone the same type as me.
I never found a good explanation of Si that was the main problem, and somehow I identify with every introverted function..

Oh Jung said Si doms can be raving lunatics ..not that you are...but Si is very subjective and most common MBTI interpretation of ISxJs glosses over the very internal subjective nature of Si.

Some of the things you say in this thread are EERILY like an Si dom e9 male I know. Other things that confirm Si for me is the constant feelings of deja vu (been here before) and that your thought processes go in a line, one thing just linking to the next.

Read Jung Classics in the History of Psychology, you can Google it and scroll down to the introverted sensation type...I would post it for you but I am on my phone.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

This to me also sounds like SJ child. Worrying over your mother and perceived lack of responsibility, so you picked up the slack and found security in rules and laws.

I know at least two adult SJs who feel like they were more of an adult in some ways as a child than a P parent.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm into this mbti thing for a year now and I really can't tell which type I am. I first looked into letters and it made not much sense. But the functions didn't make sense either. What I'm pretty sure about is that I'm an introvert and probably a feeler, but I can't tell if I'm ISFP, ISFJ, INFP or INFJ. I'm not sure what to say so I'll just list things about me
-I'm hypersensitive, easily hurt or feeling criticized and I'm defensive then.
-I'm appearing cold, distant and withdrawn.
-I don't feel like I fit in, and I never felt so, I have like 3 friends which I really like, I just don't get along with people because they're making me feel anxious or they're annoying me - this combination is a bit weird maybe
-I often worry a lot
-I'm not easy to get along with because I keep my distance, it's like I want to get along with people but whenever I get to know someone they're becoming really clingy.
-Some people would say that I'm quite intelligent, and a friend of mine who also knows a bit about mbti said that I'm really not a sensor, but I'm not sure, maybe I'm a intelligent sensor?
-I tend to zone out and daydream a lot, my thoughts are floating away in nearly every situation and I'm easily distracted
-But I don't have a vision of change or something, ugh no really not.
-I would never ever like to work with people in my future (like a nurse or something)
-I'm a singer and I'm playing guitar
-I often have a deja-vu like feeling
-I'm moody as fuck
-I don't like to show my emotions but if you know me you can tell exactly how I feel just by looking at me.
I'm not sure whether I'm using Ni, Si or Fi as first function nor what my secound function could be, I have no clue, please help me.

you seem like some sort of Fi/Te introvert, so I could see INFP, ISFP, ISTJ or INTJ (too moody and passionate to be Ti dom, not people-centric enough to be Fe aux)

as for enneagram, you seem like some combination of 4w5, 6w5 and 1w9 Sp/Sx (you seem more Sp so far, but I'll consider Sx dom)
either way, I do not see 2w1 from this. not at all

I' doing this because that's just what I've ever done, like when I was a child I had to think of so many things that my mother should have thought of, I had to "stand on my own feet" really early cause I just felt that my mother wasn't able to do so, she often forgot my doctor's appointments or something and I had to think of things like that. And getting up for school was also my part because my mother didn't woke me most of the time. And in the first and second years of school I was always late, in the 3rd grade I was late on the first day and I just remember my teacher, she was sooo angry at me and I felt so bad. So this was the day I was really scared to be late, I was like 7 or something if that's important, so since that experience I'm overly punctual.
Sp dom still sounds about right
[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION]
I don't necessarily think it's SJ. mostly J in general with a strong Sp leanings and a strong connection to 6 and or 1

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've reopened the possibility of IxFJ. my thoughts after skimming some more of your posts
MBTI: I??FJ (probably IxTJ)
core Enneagram type: *6w5 or 9w1
gut fix: *9w1 or 1w9
head fix: 6w5
heart fix: 4w5
Instinctual Variant: *Sp/Sx or Sx/Sp
*most likely

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
She could be ISTJ. She is not an IxFP. What torture and misery for a little Fi dom to find security in laws and rules. I don't think so. Her focus on being well behaved is too structured.

I also believe her when she says she has no grand vision, and mostly cares about things that immediately concern her and people she knows, and her fantasies consist of things like getting revenge on people who have hurt her. I do not think Ni or Ne are top functions.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She could be ISTJ. She is not an IxFP. What torture and misery for a little Fi dom to find security in laws and rules. I don't think so. Her focus on being well behaved is too structured.
this. not a Perceiver by any stretch of the imagination

I also believe her when she says she has no grand vision, and mostly cares about things that immediately concern her and people she knows, and her fantasies consist of things like getting revenge on people who have hurt her. I do not think Ni or Ne are top functions.
you have a point.

B

brainheart

[MENTION=20043]lume[/MENTION],

I agree with everything [MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION] says here. I would definitely recommend reading Jung's description of Si. It is so, so different than the MBTI ones! MBTI is really terrible when it comes to describing the dominant introverted perceivers. Here's the link she mentioned: http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

I would also add that my dad is an ISTJ and very much a unique person. Definitely don't go by the percentage frequencies of type. It means nothing. Also, I noticed you were under the impression that 'sensors' are not as smart as 'intuitives'. Not remotely true, although I know people will like to tell you that. For example, two of my close friends in high school went to Ivy League schools and got the highest grades in the class and they are ISTJ and ISFJ. Meanwhile, my math abilities are those of an eleven year old. (And my daughter who I suspect of being an ISxJ is a math whiz as well as an excellent writer.)

It's entirely possible that you are an ISTJ who is stuck in an introverted Si-Fi situation. That may be why people were thinking IXFP for you.

Last edited:

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
I don't think anything that could be said here would be conclusive to any sort of typing. IMO, you can easily say that most of what you describe fits with a lot of people who have vastly different perspectives than what you have.

All I can say is introvert really.