• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Instinctual variant

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Umm... I don' t know if this topic is of any use, but still... I have problems with finding out my instinctual ennagam. In tests, I' m usually typed as Sp/ Sx or Sx/ Sp. However, this doesn' t correlate with my personality. Here' s why:
Sp - Of course, I, like all people who aren' t masochistic, find no pleasure in being hurt. I am trying to prevent being hurt if it' s possible. However, all my wish for self - preservation id down when it comes to my goals, ideals and desires. As I see it, an Sp will omit a goal in sake of self - preservation, while I omit the self - preservation in sake of the goal. When I know my goal, I risk, I do anything to reach it that doesn' t contradict the morality I' ve chosen for myself.
Sx - What are you talking about? I' m not even the proper age for sex! It means nothing to me. Also, romance and relationship isn' t the main thing for me, I' m a loner, and besides, i don' t want my heart broken once again after the unhappy relationship I' ve lived through! No, better dedicate myself to career, perfecting myself and the world around me, and put all the passion into this instead. Also, I' m not pretty/ beautiful/ sexy/ attractive or anything like that.
So - Never! I resent society with it' s constant rules and attempt to make everyone the same! The society is terribly closed - minded and boring, and the worst thing is that they never listen! They treat every person as if everyone thinks and wants the same, not counting the wishes and personality of an individual. They always live according to their rules, never thinking there might be another way, they shape everyone who thinks different from them, and if the one doesn' t comply, he must be exiled! But I rebel against the society' s norms since it tries to shape me, and I' d prefer to be burnt like a witch rather than comply to their rules and replace my own integriy with them! Sorry... I might have unleashed my anger too much, just I had some bad experience with society and was hurt really bad, so it' s an old wound. But also, as any introvert, I dislike the crowds, I gain energy from being alone, and I hate parties. The only reason I need society is to achieve my goals.
So, as you see, none of them fits. And that' s why I have problems with identifying my instinctual variant. Also, if anyone has problems with idetyfing it like me, post your examples, describing why are you fit or not fit for each type.

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
Well you can be a SO type and be resentful over mainstream culture. Instinctual Variants are mostly geared toward various fixations you have. You sound like you are SX last here though.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I decided sp/sx or sx/sp during your last type me thread. I'd go with sx/sp if I had to pick.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:thinking:

While I am no expert, I think identification of instinct variant can be clouded by impressions of what people with certain instincts are like or what they do, instead of focusing on exactly what the measure means.

It is not that Sp-first will never risk their health for their goals... Sx does not have to manifest in sex/relationships... Soc-first means being aware of environmental interactions, not mindlessly conforming to a popular standard.

As far as I currently understand it, it is simply that each of us tend to seek to resolve certain domains of life first before pursuing others, and that tends to lend a certain "flavor" to our life overall.

A soc/sx like myself tries to make herself feel comfortable in the realm of interactions first... then in the realm of intense experience... lastly in the realm of personal resources.

I apologize, I don't feel like I have a very good read on you Elaine, but I wanted to mention I think it is worth trying to separate the extraneous "symptoms" of variant stackings that may obscure the variant itself.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:thinking:

While I am no expert, I think identification of instinct variant can be clouded by impressions of what people with certain instincts are like or what they do, instead of focusing on exactly what the measure means.

It is not that Sp-first will never risk their health for their goals... Sx does not have to manifest in sex/relationships... Soc-first means being aware of environmental interactions, not mindlessly conforming to a popular standard.

As far as I currently understand it, it is simply that each of us tend to seek to resolve certain domains of life first before pursuing others, and that tends to lend a certain "flavor" to our life overall.

A soc/sx like myself tries to make herself feel comfortable in the realm of interactions first... then in the realm of intense experience... lastly in the realm of personal resources.

I apologize, I don't feel like I have a very good read on you Elaine, but I wanted to mention I think it is worth trying to separate the extraneous "symptoms" of variant stackings that may obscure the variant itself.