• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm a Mess of Contradictions...I Dare You to Type Me!

kikat

**I put a previous post up, but cleaned it up a bit. I think it was a bit confusing before.

I've been trying to figure out my MBTI type for years and still have no idea what I am. It drives me crazy. I've compiled a list of info (very contradictory in nature). If anyone's up to the challenge, give it a go!

I/E
I’m very anti-social and aloof. I go to great lengths to avoid hanging out with others, including family members. Most of my time is spent inside by myself. It’s not that I’m shy or awkward; it’s just I’m not interested in what other people’s lives. However, I can be very gregarious and bubbly if the occasion calls for it. I do like helping others and enjoy working with the public vs. working by myself because I am a horrible self-starter and get easily distracted. I'm currently in 'creative' sales and I take great pleasure in feeling like I'm making a difference in people's lives. I'm also a rescue volunteer a local animal shelter too.

I think of myself as an introvert, but I also have no problem opening up to people I don't know well. But sometimes, I will blurt out private information without meaning too and then regret it. At lot of times I don't think before speaking and it gets me in trouble (hence my outspoken nature).

I think I like meeting and interacting with people on more of a superficial level vs. personal level. I don't know what that means.

N/S

I love reading fiction; however sometimes I wonder if my previous job wasn't the right one. I was a reading teacher and I loved it but I hated the ambiguity of it too. I wish I worked with straight facts instead of creating theories in relation to students' reading problems. That's why I'm thinking of extending my degree to teach history instead.

I have a big imagination and enjoy writing fiction. I also am very intuitive of what people are thinking or feeling and a lot of times people are taken aback by my keen sense of observation.

I hate ambiguity. In college, I was often confused with teachers who did not get to the point.' I had trouble following info that was not linear. I always wanted step-by-step data, and I asked tons of questions to clarify meanings. However, I also (at the same time) like working on lots of things at once and hate being tied down. I hate repetitive tasks and being boxed in. Contradictory!

People have a hard time following my train of thoughts and I've been told my communication skills are sub-par. I jump to thought to thought and people are often left wondering what I'm trying to say.

I also have a keen sense of aesthetics and I love decorating and I am good at crafts. My current job requires me to help people decorate their homes and I love it.

T/F
I can be very blunt and outspoken, especially on topics that are very important to me. I often times don't realize I hurt other peoples' feelings until it's too late and then I'm often left wondering what the hell I did wrong. I‘m also very assertive and don’t shy away from confrontation. However, I hate disharmony and will go to great lengths to make amends. I rarely hold grudges. I will confront someone if something is off and try to set things straight. I also have no problem apologizing for my mistakes if they seem rational.

I rarely ask others questions about their own lives because frankly, I don’t care.My husband gets offended because he doesn’t think I care about what he says. He often says I never ask him about himself and he easily gets offended by things I say. I often times have no idea what he’s even referring to.

On the other hand, I feel am I very sensitive and take things very personal (very contradictory, I know). I hate criticism and I like to be rewarded for doing a good job. I constantly think that people hate me or that they’re conspiring against me. I’m very paranoid.

I am uncomfortable with emotional outbursts from others and I have a difficult time comforting others if the emotions don’t seem illogical. However, as I said I can also be very emotional. I can cry at the drop of a hat if my feelings are hurt, but I can also be very tough-minded if I have to. However, I hate being emotional because it makes me feel weak.

I will give the shirt off my back to those that I love and will put my needs on the back burner to help others. However, I’ve also been told that I can also be very selfish and self-centered at the same time. What?

I have a hard time giving way to flights of fancy if the facts are right in front of me. For example, when my mother was dying of cancer they gave her 5% chance of living to 2 years. Everyone in my family thought there was going to be a miracle and that she could beat the disease. They thought I was too rational because I knew in my heart (after researching the facts and talking to her doctors) that one cannot deny facts.

I will go to great lengths to make others happy-on my own terms. I will do things for others and ask for nothing in return. I will search forever for the perfect gift or surprise people with nice gestures out of the blue.

J/P
I like to make lists and plans but often times I lose the lists and have no idea what I wrote about in the first place. I’m not very laid back and I’ve been told I can be anxious and uptight. I don't like change and I like to know what I'm getting into, but I can also be impulsive as well (and this surprises people).

I've also been told I'm very rigid. Most of this stems to the fact that I feel the need to be in control of things, even things I have no control over. However, I am also a total scatterbrain. Can’t remember where I put stuff, lose everything, etc.

I also hate making decisions, and once a decision is made, I often second guess it. When I am making a decision, I often do lots of research and compare and contrast information. Rarely do I make a big decision unless it feels logical to me.

So, that's me in a nutshell. Good Luck! ;)

My Enneagram is:
Core: 6w5 sp/so
Second: 4w5
Third: 1w9

W

WALMART

ESTJ. I don't know your enneagram. sp/sx, or vice versa.

Fi was my first impression.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everything about this, from the title to the post itself, screams ENFP to me.

Good luck in figuring out your type.

kikat

It's interesting that both of you labeled me as an extrovert. I guess I thought I could be an introvert because I really hate socializing with others and would prefer to stay home. I really have no interest in making connections with others. However, on the other hand, staying at home for too long by myself makes me depressed. And if I do go out, I do wind up enjoying myself. I also have NO problem speaking my mind and challenging others (I guess, an extroverted trait). I'm always putting my foot in my mouth because I don't think before I speak. I also think aloud all the time (which drives my husband crazy). Maybe I am an extrovert. Hmmm...So, if I'm an extrovert do I HAVE to like most people? Because I really don't. I can fake it really good. ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@kikat, I think you're an xSFP.

You're fact-aware, observant, and seem to prefer holistic, tangible, linear information. (Se) You enjoy the emotional buzz of making a difference in others' lives. (Fi) Your cognitive process is not structured and you do not prefer closure. (P) Something about you does seem E, which would make you ESFP and give you logical tertiary Te, which could explain your additional rationality. Alternatively, all SPs are fairly realistic, and ISFPs are an "extraverted" variety of introvert.

kikat

@kikat, I think you're an xSFP.

You're fact-aware, observant, and seem to prefer holistic, tangible, linear information. (Se) You enjoy the emotional buzz of making a difference in others' lives. (Fi) Your cognitive process is not structured and you do not prefer closure. (P) Something about you does seem E, which would make you ESFP and give you logical tertiary Te, which could explain your additional rationality. Alternatively, all SPs are fairly realistic, and ISFPs are an "extraverted" variety of introvert.

Interesting. Thanks for typing me. I do agree with you about wanting linear info presented to me, but the only reason why I thought I may be intuitive is because other people have a hard time following my train of thoughts because they jump all over the place. As for J/P; I've always been on the fence about this. I do tend to march to the beat of my own drum and hate rules and tradition, however I can also be quite controlling and demanding of others. I also thought I could be a feeler because I do engage my sympathies (even though my heart may not always be in it) , but I can also hurt peoples' feelings without realizing it too. I'm also very bookish and love learning about everything and anything. I loved going to school and have many degrees. Also,I can be on the computer for hours just researching a random subject for no particular reason. I thought sensors don't do that much, but I could be wrong. Maybe that's a thinking trait? I guess I'm very unsure of myself in general . :shrug:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting. Thanks for typing me. I do agree with you about wanting linear info presented to me, but the only reason why I thought I may be intuitive is because other people have a hard time following my train of thoughts because they jump all over the place.

It could be a facet of either N or P. The same thing can happen for ESxPs who note fast, in-the-moment data that others don't tend to pick up on.

As for J/P; I've always been on the fence about this. I do tend to march to the beat of my own drum and hate rules and tradition, however I can also be quite controlling and demanding of others.

The J/P difference boils down to how much you try to actively arrange your external environment to suit your needs. A J will try to use their personal influence to change their environment, while a P will prefer to change their personal response to the environment. FJs usually prefer to influence people, while TJs will typically work with logistics.

I also thought I could be a feeler because I do engage my sympathies (even though my heart may not always be in it) , but I can also hurt peoples' feelings without realizing it too.

Well, it seems that you are probably not an FJ, the type that tends to be most conscientious and aware of how they make others feel. FPs are more likely to engage in activities that make them feel like they are helping on an idealistic level even if they are not as direct or hands-on, much how you described your job. FPs tend to be more likely to speak their minds without adjusting to account for others' feelings.

I don't really see much that points to you being a T besides your realism, which is easily accounted for by S. You don't seem to have the emphasis on logic and impersonal thought that Ts tend to express when discussing their cognition.

I'm also very bookish and love learning about everything and anything. I loved going to school and have many degrees. Also,I can be on the computer for hours just researching a random subject for no particular reason. I thought sensors don't do that much, but I could be wrong. Maybe that's a thinking trait?

As far as I understand, that is a pretty widespread tendency with the advent of the internet. Most everyone seems fairly struck by it, with perhaps ExxJ types being the most immune.

I guess I'm very unsure of myself in general . :shrug:

Indeed you are a 6 :) It's also one of the reasons I doubt you're a J.

To help answer the question, try distilling things down to their core meanings. Ie,

A cognitive Extravert focuses more on information outside their mind than information kept inside it.
A cognitive Introvert focuses more on information kept inside their mind than information outside it.

A Sensor prefers tangible, concrete data, realities.
An iNtuitive prefers abstract, conceptual data, theories.

A Thinker makes decisions based on impersonal logic.
A Feeler makes decision based on personal valuing.

A Judger prefers to alter their external environment to achieve their agenda.
A Perceiver prefers to improve their method of responding to the environment.

Sometimes, the simpler, the better. :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting that both of you labeled me as an extrovert. I guess I thought I could be an introvert because I really hate socializing with others and would prefer to stay home. I really have no interest in making connections with others. However, on the other hand, staying at home for too long by myself makes me depressed. And if I do go out, I do wind up enjoying myself. I also have NO problem speaking my mind and challenging others (I guess, an extroverted trait). I'm always putting my foot in my mouth because I don't think before I speak. I also think aloud all the time (which drives my husband crazy). Maybe I am an extrovert. Hmmm...So, if I'm an extrovert do I HAVE to like most people? Because I really don't. I can fake it really good. ;)

Well, ENFPs frequently don't identify with "typical" extroverts. With ENFPs, their extroversion can be focused on ideas, concepts, connections, and not necessarily people.

kikat

It could be a facet of either N or P. The same thing can happen for ESxPs who note fast, in-the-moment data that others don't tend to pick up on.

Hmmm...interesting. Could you give me an example? I'm curious. Most of the time my thoughts can't keep up with my speech. I'll say something that's perfectly clear in my mind, but makes no sense to others. People usually tell me, "Get to the point!" or they're left wondering what the point of the conversation I had with them was.

The J/P difference boils down to how much you try to actively arrange your external environment to suit your needs. A J will try to use their personal influence to change their environment, while a P will prefer to change their personal response to the environment.

I'm just controlling in nature. I want things to be done my way and I have a hard time letting people do their own thing if I can do it better. It may be a teacher thing.

Well, it seems that you are probably not an FJ, the type that tends to be most conscientious and aware of how they make others feel. FPs tend to be more likely to speak their minds without adjusting to account for others' feelings.

See, that throws a curveball because I am controlling and I speak my mind. I'm sure I'm coming across as charming! That's why I thought I may be T. I do sound more like an FP in relation to how I come across to others.

I don't really see much that points to you being a T besides your realism, which is easily accounted for by S.

So, my S (if I am sensing) could be the reason I'm so blunt? I always thought it may be thinking. I think constantly. Whatever type I am, I'd have to have a T trait in my top 3; otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

Indeed you are a 6 :) It's also one of the reasons I doubt you're a J.

Are you going to hold true to that? ;)

[/QUOTE]

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Good luck in figuring out your type.

What does "screams ENFP" sound like?

"I think of myself as an introvert, but I also have no problem opening up to people I don't know well. But sometimes, I will blurt out private information without meaning too and then regret it. At lot of times I don't think before speaking and it gets me in trouble (hence my outspoken nature)."

Introvert.

"I love reading fiction; however sometimes I wonder if my previous job wasn't the right one. I was a reading teacher and I loved it but I hated the ambiguity of it too. I wish I worked with straight facts instead of creating theories in relation to students' reading problems. That's why I'm thinking of extending my degree to teach history instead.

I have a big imagination and enjoy writing fiction. I also am very intuitive of what people are thinking or feeling and a lot of times people are taken aback by my keen sense of observation. "

Sensor.

"I can be very blunt and outspoken, especially on topics that are very important to me. I often times don't realize I hurt other peoples' feelings until it's too late and then I'm often left wondering what the hell I did wrong.... I rarely ask others questions about their own lives because frankly, I don’t care.My husband gets offended because he doesn’t think I care about what he says..."

Thinker (Hubby is a Feeler).

"I also hate making decisions, and once a decision is made, I often second guess it. When I am making a decision, I often do lots of research and compare and contrast information. Rarely do I make a big decision unless it feels logical to me."

Perceiver. That statement ALONE describes S, T, and P. So how in hell does it scream ENFP?

W

WALMART

Oh. Darn. That would have been all the evidence I needed.

As Mal+ points out, a bit points to ST. Of course, these are your proclaimed traits. They might not be true to yourself, so there's that.

I think your self-admittance of being controlling or speaking your mind freely is indicative of Te or Fe in the lead position, but I don't think you're an Fe type. Fe types are like that in a sense that they are motherly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh. Darn. That would have been all the evidence I needed.

As Mal+ points out, a bit points to ST. Of course, these are your proclaimed traits. They might not be true to yourself, so there's that.

I think your self-admittance of being controlling or speaking your mind freely is indicative of Te or Fe in the lead position, but I don't think you're an Fe type. Fe types are like that in a sense that they are motherly.

A LOT points to ST, as well as P. As for E vs. I, most people are somewhere in the middle on that scale.

I

Infinite Bubble

I don't see EFP really. ISTJ, perhaps. There was evidence for Te > Fi and Si > Ne.

W

WALMART

A LOT points to ST, as well as P. As for E vs. I, most people are somewhere in the middle on that scale.

Someday I hope to be as esteemed a typist as you to have such faith in my observations.

(half-trollin')

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someday I hope to be as esteemed a typist as you to have such faith in my observations.

(half-trollin')

I'm not esteemed, it's just that I've been doing this for over 20 years.