• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm a Mess of Contradictions...I Dare You to Type Me!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great post. Great insight. You made things very easy to understand in relation to the contradictions in personality.

I thought that INTJ's don't have Fi in their 4 preferences? I would think that I would have some sort of feeling preference in one of my domains.

For example, INTJ's could come across as scatterbrained?

I am extraordinarily good at faking it and making people feel like I care about them. And I do a lot of times. I'm not a total Ice Queen. ;)

I've always been confused about Ti and Te. I thought I would have Ti in my personality because I think all the time, constantly but I know it's more than that. Could you give me another example? I'm very curious.
INTJs are: Ni-Te-Fi-Se, so they are technically the most F-driven of all the NT types. Their inner landscape would be Ni-Fi.

Ni-doms are not scatterbrained like butterfly-chasing types, but they are spacey, and can be one of the spaciest of all types. If by scatterbrained you mean lack of awareness to the external world, then they are absolutely scatterbrained.

You mention "faking it" with people as an example of Fe. I don't think people with strong Fe consider their external connection fake at all. When their responses are not authentic to their own inner desires and needs, it is often because they are choosing to prefer the requirements and values of the external world over their own, and so it is not "fake" in the least. Fe dom/aux tends to pay attention to external subjective systems of values, people, emotions, etc. They desire external peace and harmony and can avoid conflict at great personal cost. When Fe enters into conflict it is either because they are working to re-establish external harmony. For myself, I pay a significant cost with each conflict I enter into.

I believe that Ti deconstructs and Te constructs. Ti values its inner logic structures and conceptual efficiency while Te seek to implement external efficiency. Ti is the theoretician, Te is the engineer. Ti will focus on thinking about internal systems, while Te will focus on thinking of external systems.

kikat

INTJs are: Ni-Te-Fi-Se, so they are technically the most F-driven of all the NT types. Their inner landscape would be Ni-Fi.

Interesting. I've read debates about which type is 'colder' or less emotional: INTJ's or ISTJ's. There's assumptions that INTJ's are extremely cold and calculated. I don't see myself as that; if that is an accurate assumption. I also have a strong strong compassion for animals and volunteer a lot of my time at an animal shelter. I guess my Fi could be well developed. And I use Fe towards animals, not people. ;) If that's even possible. I don't where the Fe comes in order of preferences to INTJ.

Ni-doms are not scatterbrained like butterfly-chasing types, but they are spacey, and can be one of the spaciest of all types. If by scatterbrained you mean lack of awareness to the external world, then they are absolutely scatterbrained.
Yup, that's me.

I believe that Ti deconstructs and Te constructs. Ti values its inner logic structures and conceptual efficiency while Te seek to implement external efficiency. Ti is the theoretician, Te is the engineer. Ti will focus on thinking about internal systems, while Te will focus on thinking of external systems.

Yes, I tend to want to control the world around me (including others) not much myself. Is that where you are getting at? Whoa, bad grammar...

So where does Si and Se come in? I don't have a knack for remembering minute details that others remember in the past, per say. for ex, street addresses, numbers, etc. However, I can memorize lots of details if needed and in a short amount of time too. I often times don't see details around me that say, my husband does. However, I will notice details of something that he would have never noticed and then, of course, I will promptly forget about it. I do have a strong spatial and aesthetic sense, hence my love of designing and photography. I know I do hate ambiguity. How are Si and Se different? If you could put in layman's terms. If I already asked you this, I apologize.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One more thing that can be a way to explore contradictions within MBTI theory is to consider that both of your function pairs could be similarly strong. If your Ni-Te and your Fi-Se are similarly strong, then you may have qualities like an INTJ, but also like an ISFP at times.

For my own type as an INFJ, there is a seeming contradiction of my Ni-Fe and Ti-Se when I can be very abstract, theoretical about subjective systems of psychology and art (Ni-Fe), but at the same time can be pretty gritty and earthy in my actual life (Ti-Se). I definitely have an ISTP aspect to my connection with the concrete world. I'm unexpectedly good at improvising solutions when building and fixing things, and when I'm awake enough can be good at handling my vehicle as a driver.

If the INTJ typing is wrong, you may want to explore that possibility of almost equal function pairs within another type, since it is another way to explain contradictions.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. I've read debates about which type is 'colder' or less emotional: INTJ's or ISTJ's. There's assumptions that INTJ's are extremely cold and calculated. I don't see myself as that; if that is an accurate assumption. I also have a strong strong compassion for animals and volunteer a lot of my time at an animal shelter. I guess my Fi could be well developed. And I use Fe towards animals, not people. ;) If that's even possible. I don't where the Fe comes in order of preferences to INTJ.
There are stereotypes that can deviate from MBTI theory. Based on MBTI, I-TJs could appear cold and aloof, but they would definitely have a strong inner sense of feeling and morality. I would say they are just very private about it in general. Ni does have a very distant quality, and even INFJs can appear rather aloof in some cases, but their feelings are strong and private, but typically not as private as an INTJ's would be. I've known rather robotic INTJs, but that just individual variation. As a strongly introverted INFJ, my Ti often feels stronger than Fe, so you could also be a strong Ni-Fi looper as an INTJ.

Yes, I tend to want to control the world around me (including others) not much myself. Is that where you are getting at? Whoa, bad grammar...
That does sound J-like. P-types can be rather controlling of ideas, concepts, and values, but are much more free-floating and not acting upon the outside world so much.

So where does Si and Se come in? I don't have a knack for remembering minute details that others remember in the past, per say. for ex, street addresses, numbers, etc. However, I can memorize lots of details if needed and in a short amount of time too. I often times don't see details around me that say, my husband does. However, I will notice details of something that he would have never noticed and then, of course, I will promptly forget about it. I do have a strong spatial and aesthetic sense, hence my love of designing and photography. I know I do hate ambiguity. How are Si and Se different? If you could put in layman's terms. If I already asked you this, I apologize.
Se is the inferior function, which can potentially make Si the absolute weakest in 8th place.
INTJ- Ni-Te-Fi-Se, and then questionably used: Ne-Ti-Fe-Si (or ENTP like)

Ni-doms are not considered good at concrete details. That is in type descriptions. The ones who are, more likely, are Si-doms.
Se responds more like an improvisation to the concrete world. It tends to be exploratory and adventurous from what I understand. Si internalized its sense of the concrete world and so the outside world imprints upon it. The Si-doms I know in classical music and in other fields often have a way of idealizing the concrete world. There is a best way to make a lasagna, the ideal way to perform Beethoven, the best designers, or even just the "best" being drawn from the familiar. Si has a love for tradition, for those things that had the quality to endure the test of time. Se is more about curiosity of the new, exploring the real world, trying out every cuisine, improvising music in real time that has never come together quite in that way before. It tends to be at the avant garde, testing and questioning tradition.

I would say that Si sculpts a beautiful flower garden filled with exotic plants that require great care, everything laid out in a beautiful, perfect pattern. Se races into a field of wildflowers, flops down, gets its hair dirty while looking up at the clouds.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Idk you sound a fair bit like me and I'm an ISFP

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being out with people just tends to exhaust me. I'm not very interested in connecting with others. Any time I have gone out and had fun, it's always been at a distance. Never really connecting with others necessarily. This may be circumstantial at the time; however I've always preferred curling up with a good book vs. socializing.

Definitely sounds like you relate to Introvert... but you already knew that. :)

I am obsessed with the MBTI so maybe that was a rash assumption; however the theory also confuses the hell out of me. I've been studying it for years and I still couldn't tell you what the difference between Te and Ti are. I also have much difficulty reading some of the posts on the N forum. A lot of the times it feels like I'm reading pig latin. I have a hard time understanding the connections that the writers are trying to make. I hate ambiguity. I like facts.

Do you create your own theories? If you do, what information do you use to create them, and how do you apply them to your life? Can you share an example?

Do you think I'm flighty? :shock: It's funny because most people now think I am an INTJ or an ISTJ. The only reason I shy away from the INTJ is because I readily show my emotions, usually with nice gestures which surprise the heck out of people. I would think I have some sort of feeling preference in my line up. I may have to look up how the preferences differ between INTJ and ISTJ. I think I may be a bit outspoken for an ISTJ and have too much feeling for an INTJ. Then again, what the hell do I know. :shrug:

I don't particularly think you are flighty, just not quite as grounded in reality as I see the average ISTJ being. (Doesn't mean I've eliminated ISTJ, though.)

One important thing to remember is that Feeling in MBTI isn't "emotions", and while there may be a correlation of F types being more emotional, I don't find it a particularly strong one. The stereotype of the robotic INTJ isn't always accurate - some of our most emotional posters on this board have been INTJs and ENTJs.

And ISTJs can be plenty outspoken.

kikat

So, I’ve been doing a lot of research about the cognitive functions and came to some conclusion, based on my own research and those who’ve contributed to the conversation. I know for sure that I am definitely Te-100%. I talk out loud and this (I think) is what accounts for my scattered speech a lot of the time.I think this is why people tend to be offended by the things I say. My Te is so strong that I really have no filter . Also, I think this is what makes me appear scatterbrain (and N like). This in turn, pairs with Fi which makes sense. I’m not overly affectionate. I didn't think I was Fe.

Ni/Ne Se/Si is a bit more abstract for me. I made a list of all the types that exhibit Fe/Ni, which (as most of you know) are :
ESFP, ISTJ, ENFP, INTJ, ESTJ, ENTJ, ISFP, and INFP

I eliminated the FP’s right off the bat because I am way to controlling to be a perceiever. I like control, order, deadlines, etc even though I lose things constantly. Plus, I scored as a 1w9 on one of my Ennegram types (3rd one?). I also eliminated the FP's because I don't see myself as a feeler (in the MBTI sense).
So, I’m left with the following:

ISTJ Si Te Fi Ne
INTJ Ni Te Fi Se
ESTJ Te Si Ne Fi
ENTJ Te Ni Se Fi

Which is interesting because these are the types that have been batted around on the forum.

So, in order to delve even further I need to understand if I am really a sensor or an intuitive. I’ve gotten the sense (from those who’ve contributed) that I sound like a sensor. I like step by step facts and linear information. However, the reason I thought I may be intuitive was because when I talk I tend to jump to topic to topic making connections in my mind that others don’t see. Then again, maybe this is just my extroverted thinking taking over. Most people just don’t voice out their entire thought processes to everyone they see; like I do.

I also love creativity and variety on the job I hate being tied to a desk. I like having a high energy job and working on different things. I hate focusing on one thing all day. (I think this one paragraph probably goes against all the types I've just narrowed down. Damn!)

See, this is why I shouldn't have written this post. I confused myself even more.