• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another "what type am I?" Thread

Ksch88

MBTI Type
?
Hello everyone,

As you can see, I'm new here but have been interested in mbti for a while. I'd like to clarify my type once and for all. Hopefully, your objective opinion will help me do that. Any input would be much appreciated.

I have tested infj for the most part, but sometimes I test infp, intj and intp. While I am fairly certain that I'm not a T, I'm open to the possibility. My enneagram is either 6w5 or 5w6 according to the tests I have taken, but I know little about enneagram.

Here are my cognitive functions scores:

Se limited 18.9
Si limited 22.8
Ne excellent 39
Ni excellent 45.3
Te limited 22.9
Ti average 26.9
Fe excellent 36.2
Fi average 28

I know that you get asked this all the time , but I figure its because you like typing people. So, if you're bored it would help a great deal. Thanks, everyone!

I

Infinite Bubble

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

Here are some questions that would be useful for me to know the answers to. Please don't relate your answers back your function test results.

1. How do you make decisions?
2. Why iNtuive over Sensor?
3. How do you behave under stress?
4. Are your thoughts highly individualised and subjective, such that they could only be understood properly by you, or could they be easily understood by others and are more widely accessible? A simpler way of putting this is: if you were to explain your thoughts to some people, would they understand easily, or would there be a fair amount of difficulty in doing so?
5. You don't have to do this straight away, but when you have time, could you fill out this questionnaire please? http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/99679-whats-my-type-questionnaire.html

This should get us somewhat closer to understanding your type.

Ksch88

MBTI Type
?
Thanks, Infinite Bubble!

1. How do you make decisions? i tend to reach a decision at first through an "epiphany" of some kind. Not that it's ever that grandiose or important enough to deserve the word. I just mean that it starts with an 'aha' moment. I feel quite strongly that whatever it is either the right thing to do or worthwhile. I will then gather as much information as I can about it and test my intuition to see what kind of action it was pointing me toward, if any. These intuitions are always the first step in the decision-making process and are then followed-up with research to clarify them. I will often talk these decisions over with people who are close to me to see if they have different opinions. Sometimes, I give more weight to their opinions than my own. I will take all of these things into account before I make a decision. At the end of the day, though, I think I almost always make the decision during the initial impression/intuition/rush of ideas.

2. iNtuitive over Sensor: I have always been very imaginative and interested in the abstract and unknown. I am motivated by future possibilities rather than current realities. When I remember an event, I remember the meaning or interpretation of it rather than it's physical qualities. Facts are often an afterthought, though I am trying to develop the discipline to reverse this process when the subject calls for it. It takes a great amount of effort for me to move through a body of facts without a guiding principle, intuition, symbol, etc.

3. When I am under stress, I completely isolate myself and/or shut down. If I can't isolate myself and I am forced to be around people, I can become caustic and highly critical, which is the opposite of what I think are my usual people-pleasing tendencies. During these times, I can get very suspicious. This is when I door-slam people. Alternatively, I may react to such a period by becoming excessively social and doing uncharacteristically risky things.

4. This has always been an issue for me. I have felt time and time again that when I actually try to share a bit of myself (my ideas or feelings), people never really know where I'm coming from. As a result, I almost never share what I really believe with others and will even falsely agree with them. :-( However, I did go through a period in my life where I was extremely antagonistic. It's not universally true around people with more abstract leanings. I can typically communicate quite well with them, but I've never been a very specific or even formally logical thinker. sometimes, that is hard to follow for some/most people. However, that part of myself has become a bit buried in recent years. I'm trying to learn the logic of the world so that I can communicate better with the vast majority of people. Because, what's the point otherwise?

I will fill out the questionnaire asap.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

I

Infinite Bubble

Thanks, Infinite Bubble!

1. How do you make decisions? i tend to reach a decision at first through an "epiphany" of some kind. Not that it's ever that grandiose or important enough to deserve the word. I just mean that it starts with an 'aha' moment. I feel quite strongly that whatever it is either the right thing to do or worthwhile. I will then gather as much information as I can about it and test my intuition to see what kind of action it was pointing me toward, if any. These intuitions are always the first step in the decision-making process and are then followed-up with research to clarify them. I will often talk these decisions over with people who are close to me to see if they have different opinions. Sometimes, I give more weight to their opinions than my own. I will take all of these things into account before I make a decision. At the end of the day, though, I think I almost always make the decision during the initial impression/intuition/rush of ideas.

:)

This does indeed appear to be Ni + Fe there. Some of it may be evidence for Ne though. How do you gather all the information about it as you said in the bolded section?

2. iNtuitive over Sensor: I have always been very imaginative and interested in the abstract and unknown. I am motivated by future possibilities rather than current realities. When I remember an event, I remember the meaning or interpretation of it rather than it's physical qualities. Facts are often an afterthought, though I am trying to develop the discipline to reverse this process when the subject calls for it. It takes a great amount of effort for me to move through a body of facts without a guiding principle, intuition, symbol, etc.

That's a very reasonable answer. Usually people will give some random shallow reason to why they are an N over an S, when in fact anyone could have those said traits, but what you said sounds pretty legitimate.

3. When I am under stress, I completely isolate myself and/or shut down. If I can't isolate myself and I am forced to be around people, I can become caustic and highly critical, which is the opposite of what I think are my usual people-pleasing tendencies. During these times, I can get very suspicious. This is when I door-slam people. Alternatively, I may react to such a period by becoming excessively social and doing uncharacteristically risky things.

There's a mixture of possibilities here TBH. You becoming highly critical could be inf-Te, as that reaction is said to be a characteristic of the function as the inferior, or it could just be Fe becoming negative (of course, Fe isn't necessarily the "nice function"). Being suspicious is characteristic of a lower N function, but that doesn't seem to fit with you; how profound is this suspiciousness in that state? The last sentence would fit quite nicely with inferior Se, which goes along with INFJ.

4. This has always been an issue for me. I have felt time and time again that when I actually try to share a bit of myself (my ideas or feelings), people never really know where I'm coming from. As a result, I almost never share what I really believe with others and will even falsely agree with them. :-( However, I did go through a period in my life where I was extremely antagonistic. It's not universally true around people with more abstract leanings. I can typically communicate quite well with them, but I've never been a very specific or even formally logical thinker. sometimes, that is hard to follow for some/most people. However, that part of myself has become a bit buried in recent years. I'm trying to learn the logic of the world so that I can communicate better with the vast majority of people. Because, what's the point otherwise?

Ah, that makes it a lot more likely that you are an Introvert. And probably an Intuitive Introvert at that. Trying to learn the logic of the world sounds sort of like an NFP trying to develop their normally undeveloped Te, but can't say for sure if that's the case here right now.

My first thoughts are that you are an INFJ, or maybe an INFP. They have completely different functions, but I'm still unsure which ones you have.

I will fill out the questionnaire asap.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

Okay, and that will definitely help figuring out which type you are.

No problem!

Ksch88

MBTI Type
?
Thanks again, Infinite Bubble! Here are my answers to the questionnaire. I will respond to you responses from the last post tomorrow.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

0. I am female and 25 years old and confused about life.

1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tansyliverwort/9789385066/in/explore-2013-09-17

I chose this photo because I’ve always had a very strong connection with animals. Whenever I feel disconnected, they remind of what life and love is all about.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Well, my initial response would be frustration and concern that we wouldn’t make it in time. However, I might also find it ironically funny and/or meaningful. It depends. After stewing for a few minutes, I would then hopefully call AAA an try to diagnose the issue. If nothing worked and AAA couldn’t make it in time, I’d research bus routes or alternative ways to get there. In a similar situation, I hitchhiked, except it was a more extreme situation involving a blizzard and making it to the airport in time for my flight. I doubt I would even consider risking that for a concert.

You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I would want to find out more about the afterparty including where it was, why we were invited and who was going to be there. If it seemed reasonably safe, I would agree to going. I’m not a big party fan, but I’m curious and like new adventures. If it was totally safe and everyone else wanted to go, I probably wouldn’t voice too many objections. After the concert ended, though, I’d bet you I would be too drained to enjoy it. Also, I would probably make sure to limit my drinking so that I could drive instead, if need be.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

If I had something to drink at the party, I would definitely disagree and voice my opinion. But if I had kept it to a minimum, then I wouldn’t say anything. In most situations, I won’t create conflict over a mere opinion. If someone’s welfare is at stake or there is some action to be taken that results from an opinion, I will speak up and try to find a common ground or vehemently disagree depending on how strongly I feel about it. But, if it’s just a discussion, I won’t say anything.

Inwardly, I would feel really tense and angry more over the fact that I won’t say anything than the conflicting opinion itself. I will convince myself that it’s not that important. I might even invalidate my own opinion.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I used to speak up about it or at least make sure that I could help in some way. Say, for example, a group of people had been actively excluding another person. I would go out of my way to be friends with that person and invite them to outings to make sure that they weren’t excluded. If it seriously clashed with my beliefs, I definitely wouldn’t hold back. Now, in more ambiguous situations, I would not say anything, especially in the above example. As I’ve gotten older, I realize that in most situations, I simply don’t have enough information to decide what actions someone else should have taken or if an individual is being wrongfully treated. In most interpersonal interactions, I need to admit ignorance.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

This is hard for me, because I sometimes feel like I assume the values of my environment. However, I think the ones that have remained consistent are authenticity, self-actualization ( only to the extent that it benefits humanity), kindness/tenderness/empathy and Ingenuity (to the extent that it aids progress). Others I have picked up along the way: intellectual rigor, coherence, discipline and balance. I don’t know if the first set will ever change or could ever change. I know that my approach to them inevitably will. However, sometimes I think that especially when people are young (as I am), the words they use to describe their values are not quite accurate. They know what the values are, but they don’t have the right language to talk about them yet. I think that might be the case here, unless, of course, I become a nihilist.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else?
Maybe everyone is this way, but I’ve always had the impression that I was less able to express myself than other people. Or even less sure of what I would want to express to them. I don’t know if this is social anxiety, but when I am around others, my thoughts/opinions/values/interests—it all goes blank. I feel like a blank slate very often. Sometimes, I think too much of identity is one big story, though. Maybe this is one of those.

b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

See A. lol I would change it because I want to have a clear idea of who I am and know what I have to offer people. Along the same lines, I’d prefer to be a lot less sensitive to my environment and a lot less keyed in to what might be going on in other people’s heads. In sum, I’d like to become more assertive of my own needs, after defining what they are.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I rarely get hunches in the moment. It’s always after the fact. I’m innately suspicious of my hunches, because I don’t know where they’re coming from and can sometimes get confused with habitual modes of thought. So, I will go through any evidence there might be for pursuing it. This might mean reviewing memories of similar situations, researching associated subject matter, defining the guiding principle of the intuition and then valuing it based on what action it indicates. If no action is necessary, I will just review the experiential evidence to make sure that there is physical basis for the intuition and then restate the question in a more abstract way. If action is necessary, I will almost always ask someone else’s opinion at this point and relay the information I gathered.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Writing, research projects—any kind of introspective investigative work. I also love thinking about and analyzing other people. I like thinking about the potential in other people and how they can best express it. Any opportunity I have to creatively improve a situation, product, process, etc. is an energizing one. However, I prefer those that directly benefit others. One-on-one conversations with a trusted friend are also very energizing. Additionally, exercise, cooking, gardening are stress-relieving activities for me.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I try to repress just how internally-directed I am, the intensity of my feelings and opinions and how much I need other people and want them to like me. I especially repress my emotionality. I’ve had very few experiences where expressing how I really felt and what I thought was emotionally or even intellectually rewarding. In most situations these days, I act a great deal more frivolous and/or rational than I really am depending on the situation. Additionally, I feel like I repress pridefulness.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19838]Ksch88[/MENTION]

I see you you as an INFJ. Though I would also believe it, if you turn out to be an INTP or INTJ.

Keep in mind, this is just me going off this thread alone.

Ksch88

MBTI Type
?
@jaqcues_le_paul

Thanks for your feedback! I grew up in a house of thinking types. So, I guess I think I emulate them more often than not . Ultimately, I relate more to the infx types . But, who knows? I could just be comparing myself to my intj brother. it takes a lot of effort for me to think in a linear fashion and he does it very well.

I

Infinite Bubble

I apologise for not analysing your questionnaire today, but I promise to do it tomorrow/in several hours, depending on the timezone. I've skimmed it though, and you still certainly seem to be an INFJ. There is certainly evidence for Ni-dom.

Ksch88

MBTI Type
?
Oh, no need to apologize! It's so nice of you to do it , especially given how long it is. I really appreciate your feedback.

Ksch88

MBTI Type
?
The suspiciousness isn't confident or certain, but I'll just start to feel like people are against me . All the same, I'm aware that my behavior is odd, but I'm so overwhelmed that I can't regulate it. So, I stop being around people. It's not actual suspiciousness, because I know that I'm typically the problem here, but sometimes suspicion is just easier. Feeling for others becomes a burden and I can become very judgmental of myself and others. But, maybe this is too much information? I think if I'm an infj, I have underdeveloped Fe, because that part of me feels lost in the past somewhere , piled under academic drive.

I feel so guilty for spending this much time trying to figure myself out--it feels so selfish ! But, I just don't think there's another way.

I've never felt terribly illogical, but I was definitely accused of being so. Where I'm weak is the discipline of fact finding and application. I get caught up in the pure abstraction of an issue instead of working from the ground up. I need to be more disciplined. All the same, I also personalize a great deal.

Really, under stress I'm just avoidant in general and I get caught up in social expectations just to do the exact opposite out of overwhelm.

But, maybe this is a pointless, selfish exercise? Maybe personality theory is some great myth we tell ourselves? Or, we're trying to impose order on something that has the potential to be so fluid? If we stopped identifying with our habits, what would be left?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello everyone,

As you can see, I'm new here but have been interested in mbti for a while. I'd like to clarify my type once and for all. Hopefully, your objective opinion will help me do that. Any input would be much appreciated.

I have tested infj for the most part, but sometimes I test infp, intj and intp. While I am fairly certain that I'm not a T, I'm open to the possibility. My enneagram is either 6w5 or 5w6 according to the tests I have taken, but I know little about enneagram.

Here are my cognitive functions scores:
Ni excellent 45.3
Ne excellent 39
Fe excellent 36.2
Fi average 28
Ti average 26.9
Te limited 22.9
Si limited 22.8
Se limited 18.9
I know that you get asked this all the time , but I figure its because you like typing people. So, if you're bored it would help a great deal. Thanks, everyone!

INFJ with some ENFP.