• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really 8w9?

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Umm... Well, I have a question. I am an 8( which is rather uncommon for an INTP, though in the quiz 5 was closely) . Most of the tests give me a 8w9 vibe. And while I partially agree with this, I also partially question this. I am not really visibly agressive unless angered, I can be rather quiet and not touch anyone. I can be really nice and supportive to others as long as they' re not hostile to me. Seems like 8w9 traits. But I know that 9 is associated with calmness. Then I recall my INFP friend. Both of us value calmness, though in a different way. For her, calmness and inner peace are above else, she is ready to omit her even the most desired goals just not to disturb her calmness. She can be rather gentle, but sometimes she is just too gentle, she can' t be hard when it' s needed to( maybe that' s why I always have to push her forward) .I' m not saying she is an awful person or that I don' t want to be friends with her. Just this is the part of her personality that I don' t understand. And then there is me. I value calmness as well, try to keep my head calm, but for me calmness is a mean I need, not a goal to strive for. I need calmness to keep my mind clear, so that I can rationally think and find optimal ways to achieve my goals. If I lose calmness, I give in to panic, therefore I can' t think clearly, therefore I can' t achieve my goals. I am calm on the outside, but I won' t desert my goals and ideals. The ends don' t justify the means for me, but I will fight others if they stand on my way( though I won' t commit any acts I consider dirty or amoral) . I will fight the people close to me only if they did something that contradicts my beliefs and morality. And sometimes I can be flexible, I can omit minor goals, but if I find some big goal to achieve, the one that will make me dream of it and fascinate me, I will put all my passion and energy into it, I will go against rules and society( however, I always went against rules and society) , I will neglect many things that seem minor to me, only to pursue it, as long as my beliefs and morality allow me.
So, am I really an 8w9, or some other 8? Just the omitting goals solely for calmness is not my behaviour.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You sound more like a 1w9 than an 8w9.

Umm... Well, I have a question. I am an 8( which is rather uncommon for an INTP, though in the quiz 5 was closely) . Most of the tests give me a 8w9 vibe. And while I partially agree with this, I also partially question this. I am not really visibly agressive unless angered, I can be rather quiet and not touch anyone. I can be really nice and supportive to others as long as they' re not hostile to me. Seems like 8w9 traits. But I know that 9 is associated with calmness. Then I recall my INFP friend. Both of us value calmness, though in a different way. For her, calmness and inner peace are above else, she is ready to omit her even the most desired goals just not to disturb her calmness. She can be rather gentle, but sometimes she is just too gentle, she can' t be hard when it' s needed to( maybe that' s why I always have to push her forward) .I' m not saying she is an awful person or that I don' t want to be friends with her. Just this is the part of her personality that I don' t understand. And then there is me. I value calmness as well, try to keep my head calm, but for me calmness is a mean I need, not a goal to strive for. I need calmness to keep my mind clear, so that I can rationally think and find optimal ways to achieve my goals. If I lose calmness, I give in to panic, therefore I can' t think clearly, therefore I can' t achieve my goals. I am calm on the outside, but I won' t desert my goals and ideals. The ends don' t justify the means for me, but I will fight others if they stand on my way( though I won' t commit any acts I consider dirty or amoral) . I will fight the people close to me only if they did something that contradicts my beliefs and morality. And sometimes I can be flexible, I can omit minor goals, but if I find some big goal to achieve, the one that will make me dream of it and fascinate me, I will put all my passion and energy into it, I will go against rules and society( however, I always went against rules and society) , I will neglect many things that seem minor to me, only to pursue it, as long as my beliefs and morality allow me.

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
In that case, is that normal for 1w9 to dislike weakness? I can' t stand being weak, or at least looking weak. I can eat myself alot, just to get rid of those weaknesses. That is another reason why I' m visibly quiet. Because I believe being overly emotional is a weakness, and I' m ashamed of being weak, for me it' s like a dishonour.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In that case, is that normal for 1w9 to dislike weakness? I can' t stand being weak, or at least looking weak. I can eat myself alot, just to get rid of those weaknesses. That is another reason why I' m visibly quiet. Because I believe being overly emotional is a weakness, and I' m ashamed of being weak, for me it' s like a dishonour.

Depends on the principles of the 1w9, I'd reckon.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I virtually never get angry, and if I do, I spend a great deal of energy to keep from showing it...

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

It only partially reasonites.
Unlike the user in that topic, I see nothing wrong with giving up on hope. In fact, I see hope as just a beautiful illusion that stops my mind from being clear, and that colours everything in bright colours. If I give in to it, I will cover my mind with meaningless fantasies, and if I do so, it will be really painful when these fantasies will fade away. I don' t want it. I want to see everything as it is, because I want to be vary of the attacks life is preparing to me, and becuse I want to fight these attacks off.
See, I have an agressive attitude more to life itself rather than people. In my eyes, life is not suffering, but is a great gift, yet a constant struggle and a fight. Fight against different things: circumstances, society, destiny if it exists. Fight for what you want, for making everything the way you want it. One can give up and embrace what they call destiny, but I believe there is no fate but what we make( and yep, I' m a Terminator fan) . Even when the whole world is against me, I will fight. We all die someday, and when I die, I want to leave life as a winner, or at least someone who fell fighting for what they believed in, not a person who gave up, a person who bent her own life by her bidding, not who was bent by the bidding of life. If I let go of my beliefs, I will consider that life has won by managing to change me, so I can' t sacrafice them. I don' t want to be the victim of the circumstances, I want circumstances to serve me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

many types dislike weakness (1s, 3s, 5s, cp6s, 7s, 8s)

I second [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] 's suggestion of 1w9

PS: you also sound Fi/Te (principled, goal oriented, passionate). have you ever considered INFP or INTJ?

so far I'm seeing INTJ 1w9 Sp/Sx for your type

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
many types dislike weakness (1s, 3s, 5s, cp6s, 7s, 8s)

I second [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] 's suggestion of 1w9

PS: you also sound Fi/Te (principled, goal oriented, passionate). have you ever considered INFP or INTJ?

so far I'm seeing INTJ 1w9 Sp/Sx for your type

Well, in one of my other topics in the NT section, I posted that what I find strange about myself is using Fi and other shadow functions. And, according to the cognitive functions test, while Ti and Ne being my main functions, I also had strongly developed Te, Ni and Fi( and about 50% Si) . Fe is my weakest function. INTJ could work, but all my family are Js, I can say I' m myself too chaotic and unorderly to be one. An INFP... No way. Like I said, I have an INFP friend. She' s sweet, but her personality is far from mine. I constantly have to push her forward so that she won' t miss all her life( like I said, she' s just too calm sometimes) , she is also rather sensitive and feely sometimes( while I' m rather stoic and logical) , shhe is more family - oriented while I' m more of a career & knowledge seeker.
Sp might be true( however sometimes I' m just too risky for it) , but Sx? I' m not pretty/ beautiful/ sexy/ attractive or anything like that. Like I said, I don' t pursue relationships( well, I did love once, but it ended up very painful to me, so I don' t want this any longer) . I don' t care about sex, I haven' t even reached a proper age to do that( I' m 16 so far) . Now I' m single and I' m comfortable with it. However, I' m not an So either, because I generally dislike society and it' s rules, I rebel against them, and I don' t care what people think about me. It' s more like " Me vs Society" , rather than a peaceful coexistance.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=19831]Elaine[/MENTION]
you seem to self critical and analytical to be 8w9. they call them "The Bear" for a reason. their energy is immense and extremely slow, coming off something like this:

150px-Ruby_Sapphire_Hiker.png

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well, 1w9 also might be true. Just the thing is that 5 was a close one in my ennearam test( 2 after 8) .

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, 1w9 also might be true. Just the thing is that 5 was a close one in my ennearam test( 2 after 8) .

- you're an INTx, so it makes sense you would mistype as a 5 (I still think INTJ. I don't think a 16 year old INTP is capable of having values lol)
- 1w9s are often intellectual and mistype at 5
- you could have a 5 fix
- tests are not reliable at all (I typically test 8w7>7w8>4w3)

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
All right, I guess I' ll show you my cognitive functions map I got:

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (70%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (100%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (100%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (90%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (40%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (55%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (30%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (65%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - unclear

To tell the truth, I already don' t know which type I am. My mom is am ISTJ, and she says I' m not neat enough and dislikes my lack of planning, but I plan everything in my own way. While she plans everything long before it happens and gets frustrated if it doesn' t go this way, I prefer to apply planning when it' s needed in the present, seeing the outcomes of my present choices in the future, and adapt my plans according to my present needs. Like, when we are planning to go somewhere, she gets frustrated if I didn' t pack my things as fast as possible, but I either know I' m going to be just in time anyway and see no need to hurry, or I know that if I' m not doing everything in time, I can still comb my hair faster or skip my breakfast and be just in time. It does sound different, isn' t it? My grandma is an ESFJ( and a terrible personality clash with me, but I still love her) , and has similar qualities, only instead of planning herself, she usually follows a schedule set up by my mom, and has terrible emotional outbirsts when something doesn' t coinside with them. Like I said, I know my Js too well to be one of them. Or maybe it' s just because they' re sensors. But anyway, what you see on the map seems like a fused INTx personality. And like I said, Fe is the weakest here. The strange is that all the primary functions( except for Fe) are INTP - ish, but the shadow functions are well developed as well, which says I can also be easily taken as an INTJ. I don' t know what could' ve led to this. And I don' t know how it' s possible to have all of these functions and not have bipolar.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So you've talked about a need for calm and a need to achieve, but not a ruthless need to achieve, nor a strong need for calm.

Umm... Well, I have a question. I am an 8( which is rather uncommon for an INTP, though in the quiz 5 was closely) . Most of the tests give me a 8w9 vibe. And while I partially agree with this, I also partially question this. I am not really visibly agressive unless angered, I can be rather quiet and not touch anyone. I can be really nice and supportive to others as long as they' re not hostile to me. Seems like 8w9 traits.

Well I don't think you don't sound like an 8. Describing yourself as such, just doesn't scream 8 to me. Not that 8s can't be like that, I just think that an 8 would not put that front and center.

But I know that 9 is associated with calmness. Then I recall my INFP friend. Both of us value calmness, though in a different way. For her, calmness and inner peace are above else, she is ready to omit her even the most desired goals just not to disturb her calmness. She can be rather gentle, but sometimes she is just too gentle, she can' t be hard when it' s needed to( maybe that' s why I always have to push her forward) .I' m not saying she is an awful person or that I don' t want to be friends with her. Just this is the part of her personality that I don' t understand.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you involve yourself in other people's lives. This makes me think you are a 2, which would also explain your connection to 8.

And then there is me. I value calmness as well, try to keep my head calm, but for me calmness is a mean I need, not a goal to strive for. I need calmness to keep my mind clear, so that I can rationally think and find optimal ways to achieve my goals. If I lose calmness, I give in to panic, therefore I can' t think clearly, therefore I can' t achieve my goals. I am calm on the outside, but I won' t desert my goals and ideals. The ends don' t justify the means for me, but I will fight others if they stand on my way( though I won' t commit any acts I consider dirty or amoral) . I will fight the people close to me only if they did something that contradicts my beliefs and morality. And sometimes I can be flexible, I can omit minor goals, but if I find some big goal to achieve, the one that will make me dream of it and fascinate me, I will put all my passion and energy into it, I will go against rules and society( however, I always went against rules and society) , I will neglect many things that seem minor to me, only to pursue it, as long as my beliefs and morality allow me.
So, am I really an 8w9, or some other 8? Just the omitting goals solely for calmness is not my behaviour.

This paragraph seems to express your driven side--balanced by a keen sense of right and wrong--maybe you feel like you're trying to do everything at once. Am I understanding this correctly?

I

Infinite Bubble

You might want to look into counter-phobic 6 (6w5 specifically for you); they can often look like an 8. I don't think any Enneagram/MBTI type is impossible, but 8 is kind of unlikely for INTP, with Ti's analyzing, detached vantage point, Ne's uncertainty and propensity for leaving options open, and the repression of their Je function. INFP has a similar problem, but at least they have Te. Best to pick up Occam's razor and thoroughly go through all the other more likely types and ruling them out first. If you really think you're an 8, I'd suggest looking at other MBTI types.

An INFP... No way. Like I said, I have an INFP friend. She' s sweet, but her personality is far from mine. I constantly have to push her forward so that she won' t miss all her life( like I said, she' s just too calm sometimes) , she is also rather sensitive and feely sometimes( while I' m rather stoic and logical) , shhe is more family - oriented while I' m more of a career & knowledge seeker.

Not all INFPs are like that. All it means is that you use the functions Fi, Ne, Si, and Te in that order. There are behavioral patterns but nothing absolute. Also, Enneagram would influence how you outwardly behave also (different to your INFP friend, who sounds like a 9, btw). An INFP 5 looks a lot like an INTP, or another T, for instance.

I prefer to apply planning when it' s needed in the present, seeing the outcomes of my present choices in the future, and adapt my plans according to my present needs. Like, when we are planning to go somewhere, she gets frustrated if I didn' t pack my things as fast as possible, but I either know I' m going to be just in time anyway and see no need to hurry, or I know that if I' m not doing everything in time, I can still comb my hair faster or skip my breakfast and be just in time.

I would have also backed up the notion of you being an INTJ, if it wasn't for this. It seems like you use a Pe function, perceiving outwardly (probably Ne). It might just be age. Everyone either shares objective (not made by the standards of yourself) logic, or ethics. If you share logic with society (like the scientific method) or have trust in exterior logical frameworks, then you have Te. If you take your ethics and values from society (such as being polite so to not disturb the interpersonal atmosphere), then you use Fe. Which one sounds more like you? Or, if you prefer, which one would you hate having to comply with more?

The strange is that all the primary functions( except for Fe) are INTP - ish, but the shadow functions are well developed as well, which says I can also be easily taken as an INTJ. I don' t know what could' ve led to this. And I don' t know how it' s possible to have all of these functions and not have bipolar.

Take test results with a grain of salt. Your shadow functions aren't well developed, and pretty much nobodies are, because your conscious functions are everything you need. Those four where "chosen" by your brain to deal with life, and for that reason, you automatically reject the flipside (shadow) ones.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=19831]Elaine[/MENTION]

Based on your extremely low Fi I'd also suggest you consider ENTP.

A common misconception is that 8's are outgoing, when in fact many 8's feel introverted because they fear interaction with other humans, much the same way bears fear humans. Part of integration to 2 is having the courage to connect with others. This usually only happens when the 8 feels safe around other people.

edit: wait a sec... I thought those were listed in descending order. nevermind.

Last edited:

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
You might want to look into counter-phobic 6 (6w5 specifically for you); they can often look like an 8. I don't think any Enneagram/MBTI type is impossible, but 8 is kind of unlikely for INTP, with Ti's analyzing, detached vantage point, Ne's uncertainty and propensity for leaving options open, and the repression of their Je function. INFP has a similar problem, but at least they have Te. Best to pick up Occam's razor and thoroughly go through all the other more likely types and ruling them out first. If you really think you're an 8, I'd suggest looking at other MBTI types.

Not all INFPs are like that. All it means is that you use the functions Fi, Ne, Si, and Te in that order. There are behavioral patterns but nothing absolute. Also, Enneagram would influence how you outwardly behave also (different to your INFP friend, who sounds like a 9, btw). An INFP 5 looks a lot like an INTP, or another T, for instance.

I would have also backed up the notion of you being an INTJ, if it wasn't for this. It seems like you use a Pe function, perceiving outwardly (probably Ne). It might just be age. Everyone either shares objective (not made by the standards of yourself) logic, or ethics. If you share logic with society (like the scientific method) or have trust in exterior logical frameworks, then you have Te. If you take your ethics and values from society (such as being polite so to not disturb the interpersonal atmosphere), then you use Fe. Which one sounds more like you? Or, if you prefer, which one would you hate having to comply with more?

Take test results with a grain of salt. Your shadow functions aren't well developed, and pretty much nobodies are, because your conscious functions are everything you need. Those four where "chosen" by your brain to deal with life, and for that reason, you automatically reject the flipside (shadow) ones.

No. There is no way I am an F. I would never let my feelings take control of me. They can influence my decicions, but there is no way they would take control of me. Letting myself cry is a dishonor for me, myself being irrational is unacceptable. Calculatedness, logic and systwmatization of everything in my life are my goals. No irrational nonsence. I believe in morality because it seems logical to me, I know this logic seems not like the one of others, but i still have it. I still have everything systematicized and classified in my head, the only place for emotion is morality I believe in to restrict myself for doing something bad, and it' s more like a Code to live by rather than pure feeling.
Well, Te seems closer to me, but to tell the truth, I wouldn' t like to share anything with society. I know, such thoughts are maniacal, but from my observations society is an awful, tasteless, perverted thing. The only reason I have something to do with it is because I have no other way and I need to achieve my goals. And that is the reason why the morality restrictions are in: so I won' t hurt anyone while achieving my goals. I chose morality for myself, because I believe society' s ideals will always be subjective and perverted. And I won' t enforce morality or anyone, as everyone has the right to choose it for themself like I did. That' s where Fi comes from. But as for Te/ Ti conflict, I would still prefer Ti. I can shift between both scientific metod and my own logic, however I will always walue objective over subjective. But still, most of the society is subjective, it puts unnecessary feelings and colours where they shouldn' t be.
Also, there is no way I' m an E. I don' t like being social, I prefer only the circle of like - minded. I prefer being alone. I have my thoughts, my imagination, and artistic tools with me to put my thoughts into external world( yeah, I' m rational, but I' m also an artist and a writer. I have to somehow express everything my imagination gives me) . People themselves tire me.
As for being a 2, I could' ve been much like it in my early years, but now... Not so much. I help, I have an urge to help, but it' s more like a " something to put between the big goals when I don' t have one" . however, I' m not overly helpful either, and how and who I will help depends on many factors. Of course i would never help a person who abused me in school or something like that.

I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=19831]Elaine[/MENTION], yeah I'm pretty sure you're a Te/Fi user. Pretty much everything you said in your previous points to it. I'd say xNTJ. The apparently high Fi makes INTJ more likely, yet you have the fear of being overwhelmed by emotions, which is indicative of inferior Fi. Maybe it isn't high Fi, but more to do with the E-type. As for Enneagram, your heart fix is likely to be Type 3; probably 3w2.

Btw, Te is the least humanistic extroverted function, so even if it's orientated to the outside world (e.i. goals and systematizing), it's not at all people-focused. I think a lot of ENTJs mistype as INTJs because of this.

How obvious is it to you that you're an N? Is it more obvious than being a T?

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Just like I said, people tire me, I hate parties, make up and all that what others consider funny. I just can' t jump around like most extroverts do. I' m more slow, though I do focus on the present.
No, 3 is definately not this, money and prestige mean nothing to me. I might be ambitious, but it' s not because of money. It' s a pursue for knowledge, making things the way I want and more goals to complete. I might be really poor and be an outcast in the society, but still feel like a winner. And like I said, I hate society. I despise it. It also means nothing to me. I' ve always been told a person has a need to communicate. That is a lie. I never felt a need to communicate with people. I never go out just because I need it like I need to eat or sleep. I feel totally at peace when I' m lonely. If I want to communicate with a person, it' s because I like that person, I choose to communicate with them, talking to them gives me some new experiences, or challenges my mind. That' s why I don' t have many friends. I' m not into small talk.
Well, I guess it is obvious. Though I do live in the present, which is a sensor trait, I' m more into capturing abstract patterns, not the ones society gives me, and I can use these patterns to build knowledge beyond experience, which sensors can' t do. I also apply these patterns to make plans in the real world and adapt the plans to my present needs. I learn by thinking and linking those patterns rather than by experience. I guess more obvious than T, but that I' m a T is still pretty obvious.

I

Infinite Bubble

Just like I said, people tire me, I hate parties, make up and all that what others consider funny. I just can' t jump around like most extroverts do. I' m more slow, though I do focus on the present.

You're mixing up social extroversion with cognitive extroversion. Extroversion in this context, means one is primarily oriented by data that the outside world provides them (this data is classified as "the object"). Of course, everyone does this, but for Introversion, subjective factors come in between this data; to quote Jung: "the introvert interposes a subjective view between the perception of the object and his own action, which prevents the action from assuming a character that corresponds with the objective situation."

I think you're an Introvert though.

Well, I guess it is obvious. Though I do live in the present, which is a sensor trait, I' m more into capturing abstract patterns

Sounds like Ne again. I'l have to give it more thought. Can you tell if you orientate your intuitive pattern recognition directly to the outer world, or if it is more applied within? Would other people see the Intuitive side of you, or the Sensing side?

You do sound like an 8 to me. How do you act under stress, that will help; how does stress make you act?