• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it even possible to be a SX/SO with strong self-pres?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Is it even possible to be a sx/so with strong self-pres? If so, what does that even look like? It seems to me the sx/so types tend to be the most radical and the most self-destructive of any other type. What on earth would a sx/so with strong sp even look like? I'm starting to suspect that I may be one.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] [MENTION=15371]Poimandres[/MENTION]

You folks might want to check out this thread.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, speaking as someone who's sp-last but with fairly balanced instincts, I'd say that what it would likely mean is that they would take care of themselves better, take care of others better, be better at understanding people who are sp-first or second, and be better at saying no to things if they're too tired/sick/emotionally in the wrong place for them.

They'd still do stupid shit... but not quite as much of it. :laugh:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, speaking as someone who's sp-last but with fairly balanced instincts, I'd say that what it would likely mean is that they would take care of themselves better, take care of others better, be better at understanding people who are sp-first or second, and be better at saying no to things if they're too tired/sick/emotionally in the wrong place for them.

They'd still do stupid shit... but not quite as much of it. :laugh:

Well I have a strong impulse to do stupid shit all the time, but then I catch myself and say, "Wait that's a bad idea" and then stop.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well I have a strong impulse to do stupid shit all the time, but then I catch myself and say, "Wait that's a bad idea" and then stop.
Well, there you go! :happy: That's pretty much what I'm talking about.

Although in my case, it's more like your reaction is 15% "THAT WOULD ROCK" and 85% "Eh... probably not the best idea." Averaging out to "I wish I didn't have to say no :( but I'm going to say no."

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, there you go! :happy: That's pretty much what I'm talking about.

Although in my case, it's more like your reaction is 15% "THAT WOULD ROCK" and 85% "Eh... probably not the best idea." Averaging out to "I wish I didn't have to say no :( but I'm going to say no."

But [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is a definite sx/sp and he has the impulses too and also has to catch himself as well. However what really sets he and I apart is that he has always been as sp as he is now, and I have NOT.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is a definite sx/sp and he has the impulses too and also has to catch himself as well. However what really sets he and I apart is that he has always been as sp as he is now, and I have NOT.
:shrug: Don't know what to tell you. Everyone has SOME self-pres. It's a matter of what the impulses are, and how good you are at catching yourself, and any number of other things. (Including, to a degree, what your MBTI type is.) It's more nuanced that how you're making it out, I think.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
:shrug: Don't know what to tell you. Everyone has SOME self-pres. It's just a matter of what the impulses are, and how good you are at catching yourself. It's more nuanced that how you're making it out, I think.

What do you mean that it's more nuanced?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you mean that it's more nuanced?
I mean it's not full of absolute yeses and absolute nos. There's no "All W types do X" and "All Y types do Z".

The answer to the thread title is yes of course it's possible for someone of one type to have this other strong thing. And the fact that you're trying to decide which stacking YOU, an ENTP 6, are, while you're comparing your behavior to mine, i.e. the behavior of an ESTJ 1, is silly. There are so many overlapping factors in there, so many reasons why my instincts may express themselves differently. Reasons why my sp-last behavior may be less risky than that of other sp-lasts. The best I can do is what I said in my first post, ambiguity notwithstanding.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I mean it's not full of absolute yeses and absolute nos. There's no "All W types do X" and "All Y types do Z".

The answer to the thread title is yes of course it's possible for someone of one type to have this other strong thing. And the fact that you're trying to decide which stacking YOU, an ENTP 6, are, while you're comparing your behavior to mine, i.e. the behavior of an ESTJ 1, is silly. There are so many overlapping factors in there, so many reasons why my instincts may express themselves differently. Reasons why my sp-last behavior may be less risky than that of other sp-lasts. The best I can do is what I said in my first post, ambiguity notwithstanding.

But I have to compare myself to others in order to find this out. How else am I going to find this out?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But I have to compare myself to others in order to find this out. How else am I going to find this out?
Make sure you're comparing the big-picture things instead of the little things -- and sifting out the things that literally everyone does. (e.g. catching yourself before making a stupid mistake -- that's a universal human thing, and I shouldn't have responded to your comment the way I did.)

A good starting point would be talking to other NTPs or NFPs about it. My Sp usage is very shaped by my being an SJ, so it's hard for me to know what Ne-dom/second Sp would look like.

I think [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] could help?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Make sure you're comparing the big-picture things instead of the little things -- and sifting out the things that literally everyone does. (e.g. catching yourself before making a stupid mistake -- that's a universal human thing, and I shouldn't have responded to your comment the way I did.)

A good starting point would be talking to other NTPs or NFPs about it. My Sp usage is very shaped by my being an SJ, so it's hard for me to know what Ne-dom/second Sp would look like.

I think [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] could help?

Well I'm constantly checking out the "What's it like to be sx dom" threads, the "What is like to be SO first threads" and the SP last threads. I can't relate much to what many of the SO last people are saying. I feel like I use SO.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well I'm constantly checking out the "What's it like to be sx dom" threads, the "What is like to be SO first threads" and the SP last threads. I can't relate much to what many of the SO last people are saying. I feel like I use SO.
From what I've seen of your various "what's my type" threads (and threads like this that are essentially "what's my type" threads in disguise), you seem to get very stuck on type details. Like behaviors of particular types -- as opposed to the mindsets behind them.

Example: I have a friend who could easily be typed as a 5 from her behavior, but when she read the description, said "That may be how I act, but the mindset is the opposite of mine". She's a 1w9.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
From what I've seen of your various "what's my type" threads (and threads like this that are essentially "what's my type" threads in disguise), you seem to get very stuck on type details. Like behaviors of particular types -- as opposed to the mindsets behind them.

Example: I have a friend who could easily be typed as a 5 from her behavior, but when she read the description, said "That may be how I act, but the mindset is the opposite of mine". She's a 1w9.

I like to find congruences between types and if they aren't congruent then I want to know the exact reasoning as to why.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is kind of off topic but I just can't stand it anymore... YOUR AVATAR IS SO FREAKING UGLY!!!!

Sure, that ivy whatever can show your extreme sexual tensions, but you don't have to do it in such a revolting way.

Maybe you're perception of having strong self-pres last is actually your enneagram 6ness.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
This is kind of off topic but I just can't stand it anymore... YOUR AVATAR IS SO FREAKING UGLY!!!!

Sure, that ivy whatever can show your extreme sexual tensions, but you don't have to do it in such a revolting way.

Maybe you're perception of having strong self-pres last is actually your enneagram 6ness.

My avatar isn't ugly, it's hot baby! It's of an extremely fuckable Poison Ivy.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This prompt made me reconsider my ex bf who I always struggle to type. Maybe the characteristics that are eluding me are not MBTI type related, but rather instinct or enneagram related. I think he may have been an sp, and that was a point of divergence for us a lot. Any thoughts on the kinds if conflict that might be seen between sp/sx and sx/so?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I've read, your dominant captains the other two instincts. Iow, if your sx determines that your sp-instinct is needed to attain its goal, then yes, it can be quite strong. Example: men often feel the pressure to be successful in gaining money and other thigns that provide security, as that is their traditional role. Since the sx-instinct is essentially the mating instinct, it would make sense to give its small sp-instinct all the resources and drive needed to attain those resources and therefor 'serve' its sx master in helping to obtain a suitable mate.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it's quite possible that you're a sp-last 6 and you're noticing sp because you're well-aware of how you protect yourself.

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] is right, you can't compare to other people. Consider that you may have much more balanced stackings whereas others might have more skewed ones. If theoretically each person has 30 instinct energy "points", maybe you have 11 sx, 10 so, and 9 sp. And maybe someone else has 15 sx, 13 so, and 2 sp. You'd still be the same stacking but you'd probably be a bit different in terms of how you act things out.

Technically the one surefire source to know will be figuring out what you feel like HAS to be taken care of first. I didn't realize I was Social in part because the instinct feels so second-nature and obvious. And then whatever falls to the wayside, that's your last instinct, even if you still feel strong in it. Maybe try to catch yourself in daily life making choices between the instincts. Or write down a quick summary of your last couple of days, and then analyze it in terms of the instincts. What did you have no problem prioritizing? What was left behind?

For me it would be like:

Friday - class, work on artwork for charity event, complete reading and online quizzes before deadline, go with boyfriend to concert, go home to hang out with family, stay over there for the night.
Saturday - wake up early, consider driving home, discover boyfriend is asleep in the guest room at my parents' so go back to sleep, decline boyfriend's offer to fix my car light because that sounds like a boring thing to do on my one day off, accompany brother to his haircut, get my phone charger from my apartment, get brother to take me by the school bookstore for the test sheet I need for Monday morning, go with brother to used bookstore, drive to a store for him while he is resting to get one more thing he needs, meet up with family for late dinner, talk to brother for a little while then crash.
Sunday - work, buy some fundraiser hot dogs and bring them home for the family, help mom and brother get ready to leave, go with brother on his last-minute store run and use it to find gift for boyfriend, try to cheer up my boyfriend because he had a shitty night yesterday, spend some time for just the two of us, take him for a drive in the countryside in the sports car, spend a little time with my dad, laze around playing on our computers, then finally hole up to study for Monday morning's test. (Edit, test went well!)

You can sort of see how sp stuff always ends up getting shafted in my life, even just in these few days. I'm always leaving my school-related work til the last minute, I tend to sacrifice my own energy and sleep, I tend to forget life-maintenance-related items like my phone charger, and even when my sp boyfriend asked if he could do an sp thing for me, I didn't want to risk it taking time I could use to take care of other things. And so always gets prioritized. Gatherings, restoring harmony, focusing on others, taking part in group efforts. Those priorities are so key to me that I don't even think about prioritizing them; I just think about how to best fit them all in. My second instinct - sx - I think about more in the moment and "work it into" the so structure that segments my life. Trying to find good atmospheres, taking a slower route because I like the drive better, getting absorbed in music, driving fast, stirring up excitement in the relationship, etc. That can be found fairly easily within.

There is a blog called RunningFather with lots of great instinct variant posts, and one tidbit I loved was this:

Russ [Hudson] said that the life script of a self-pres dominant tends to emphasize continuity, organic development. Sexuals tend to have chapters, and have sometimes “gone down in flames’ with what they’re attracted to. Socials tend to have “pods of affiliation”, that is different groups or activities they’re involved with.

You could do the same mini-journaling thing but with your life as a whole and see how it turns out - stair steps (sp), eras (sx), or pods (so). And what is left out.