• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
So a couple months ago, after months of generally misunderstanding the functions, I became pretty sure I was an INFP, or an xNFP at the least. However, recently self doubt (one of my biggest specialties) has kicked in. I've been reading past threads of mine (which were rather pointless to put it honestly), and INTP Forums of sorts - and something doesn't seem right here. I mean, I feel like a lot of the shit I write and much of the musings roaming around my head have an Fi attribution to them - but when I try to identify my inferior - I don't really see a logical crux manifesting, it's actually one of the things I try to rely on in a stressful situation (even though I can be VERY self critical at first in these situations). I can't really explain this, but recent situations I've been dont really give off that inferior Te vibe. In other words, I feel like I'm too rational to have an inferior thinking function - this isn't to say feeling types can't be rational, they certainly can, especially the enneagram 5 feelers (which I suspect is my enneatype as indicated by my signature far below). But I get intuitive vibes that point away from an inferior thinking function....actually, that's all I'm doing, taking intuitive guesses. Fuck it. I can't go off into a tangent right now, damn auxiliary Ne. I'm just going to pull out some random behavioral patterns and thought processes to try and hint at which functions I may prefer, although I realized that only takes you so far, it can be like attempting to teach your dog a new trick but your way of attempting to get through to him is saying the same word over and over and pulling at random parts of his body, leaving the poor thing confused. Why do I attempt to be funny and fail? Oh, that's right...hhmph. Fuck it....this may be long....

when I was a child, I was quite the....confusing one. I was plagued by certain disorders like ADHD and one that starting fucking with my head later in life, even to this day. I had trouble doing many things early on, like for example, I sucked at video games and would get fustrated, so I had to have my dad help me...throughout the whole damn game. But I quickly started growing out of that phase, and when I was about 8 or 9 I became more independent. As a preteen, I had these obsessive interests. I obsessed over interests like dogs, to the point where I memorized every dog breed in a week. The pokemon games were fascinating to me as well, I loved looking at new strategies from cheat guides and then using them to become better. One that really stood out, though, was weather. GOD, was I obsessed with that shit. To the point where I would go out in snowstorms or flooding rains, and wanted to be a crazed storm chaser in the middle of Kansas. One remarkable thing about me and my interests...I was interested in a more categorical manner, instead of burying into this material and quickly gaining information (this is why I questioned my N for a time...but this probably doesn't say much, and I suspect it had to do with disorders) One thing I loved doing was creating hypothetical scenarios based off of things I was interested in. Movies. Music. During my weather phase, as a kid, I would go in my backyard and pretended weeds, shrubs, plants and gardens were actually towns, cites, and suburban areas - I twisted my own reality and started viewing my backyard as a separate geographical landscape, a new world...so I could take a hose and pretend hurricanes, tornadoes and floods were demolishing this geographical wonder...and I would inspect the damage afterwards. Ugh, would I skydive rapidly towards the ground just to relive those days... :( one thing that was really fascinating about my interests was the fact that I didn't need food or sleep to alleviate my concentration...my level of fascination was so high that it fed my appetite! Okay, adderall can maybe contribute to this somewhat...but even now, this has occurred while reading up on MBTI. That is just so cool. Other things about me as a kid...whenever my parents fought, I would trap myself in my room and not speak to them until they made up (which indicated some weaker form of Fe to me). I detested divorced individuals, for reasons that I cannot recall, just the thought of it made me really uncomfortable ( I'd guess immature Fi dominance there?) I was overly sensitive to criticism and harsh feedback, or teasing, or anything of the like - I would take it literally. I was quiet, but not so much introspective (like I am now) as much as wanting to stay drama free, and live in harmony with everyone (in other words, not really an inner harmony but wanting everyone to feel the same way I did, usually positively) I also had a desire to be looked upon as more mature for my age, or a better way of putting it: whenever I was around adults I wanted to be looked upon as one of them rather than a child. That is why I would join in during conversations between, say, my parents and their friends. I also watched shows like American Idol, and while I did get emotionally attached to some contestants and started rooting for them...later on I suspected that it was probably due to me "personalizing" this, basically I wanted said contestant to reach a certain level in the competition I was content with, and this made me feel like I accomplished something, because I didnt feel like I accomplished anything in my life. However, I was fascinated by the voting system, and the patterns surrounding it, and how certain demographics and trends would affect that system...and theories aboit the show in general. I don't know what else to write so fuck it, fast forwarding to today...

today I am crippled by anxiety, depression, concern, and bitterness of the world around me and what I think I have become. However, instead of wallowing around in shame like I used to when I was a recluse, I am trying to do something about it and get my life together. Just a couple years ago, I would strongly identify with the Ji-Si loop theory - I would sought advice from people but find other ways to dismiss it, create really weak rebuttals, basically give in to anxiety instead of actually doing something about it....my thinking was very rigid. Recently I have been taking in the mentality of being more open minded and replenish myself as a whole, taking small steps. However I have other issues that get in the way of this, like, say, making a mistake that is humiliating to the degree where I go inside my head and analyse the cause of that particular problem, finding ways to view that mistake. I may also find ways to deal with situations like that in the future but sometimes I am so dumbfounded as to why I keep making these mistakes? Is my anxiety affecting my concentration? Either way I try to find the root of that problem without looking at every angle (I have trouble finding angles in some situations) some of you may say this is Ni, but I suspect it is Ji-Si getting stuck in a rut....but what do I know. Okay, that was just one problem I was referencing....maybe I do have an easier time looking at angles of every situation and then contrasting them together to find the sum of the problem. It's really hard discerning my head when it is so scatterbrained. Bah.

I remember I used to be energized by the idea of being in love, finding that special someone to be with forever. I used to create these dream girls in my head, usually during my reclusive period. But a while ago I realized that I might not be that interesting of a person... So I decided i needed to focus on myself more before I started approaching this particular goal of mine. I don't know, the thing about love is tricky....I crave that feeling of harmony of two souls expressing feelings and caring for each other, but the thing is I've never been in a relationship before, ever. I suspect my mind was brainwashed watching tv shows and movies portraying elements of love when I was a child, and being intricately fascinated by this particular phenomenon. Logically speaking, love is really the last thing I need right now, if you exclude loneliness. You can accomplish so many things without it. Yet I feel like a healthy relationship will give me the jolt and confidence I need to maintain a consistent positive mentality in life, which will lead to success. (Then again, how can "success" be measured? In this case, probably internally.)

now, discerning my relationships with people, or taking a crack at how people may think of me, see me, feel of me, whatever. I am very aloof, and this is usually on a scale depending on how my mood is. Some people greatly misunderstand me because of this. Stupid things I say, missing certain clues in an environment, not grasping the basic concept of a certain board game during my first time playing, whatever. I'm like a skunk - you know how people judge them based on how they smell? Who knows, skunks may be some of the most amazing souls organisms on the planet have to offer! But no one gives them a chance because they smell like other decaying organisms found in deep underwater trenches. Eh, thats kind of how it is with me. Not to say people strongly dislike me...but there is a general annoyance, for sure, from time to time. Some people admire me for my honesty, and sense of humor, but anxiety really gets in the way of my friendships with people, thus people sometimes never get to know me that well. By that, I mean, I get so anxious talking to someone that I break down and start resembling Forrest Gump on ecstasy. Okay, not really. But social anxiety can be crippling, for sure. I've been trying to break this habit by socializing with people on an every-other-day basis at least but for the most part, this feeling is out of my control.

About how I view people - a lot of the behavioral patterns of certain people my age (I'm 19) deeply annoy me, watching loud girls on a train talk about their experiences seeing that cute boy wink at them (aka nothing) but talking over each other, resembling utter nonsense that sounds deafening...for example. I've been overly judgemental towards people for things like this in the past, which is why I was so sure I was Fi-dominant for a couple months, but then I mulled it over a little more and found out it may have had something to do with negative experiences with people in the past - and it may have muddled into my subconscious ways of thinking I suspect. I really try to see the positive in people though, I find myself complimenting people every once in a while. One thing that does annoy me, however - when someone likes me, a part if me feels like I have to like them, regardless of what kind of person they are (unless its Casey Anthony we're talking about) and vice versa if someone dislikes me. Blah, feelings suck. Life would be easier if I was a robot beneath all this flesh. (Heh, not really.)

As far as my mentalities toward life go right now - I am rather cynical. I've had a hard life. It really shows in my sense of humor...a year ago or so I started watching a lot of late George Carlin and Louis CK standup, and the like, to try modeling my sense of humor based off of their attitudes...mostly because i could really relate to it. I think I have picked up on their concept of comedy, from a very black point of view, so if I felt like writing a half and hour standup script I think I could be able to successfully architect my excerpts into a comedic show. In other words, I feel like I have the potential to resemble comedians like them (okay, probably not Carlin, more in the realm of C.K. and even moreso, alt-comedy land) but the problem is some people actually pick up on my cynicism too well - and then it's no longer funny, it becomes a second rate version of the Four Yorksh
iremen sketch - but only one man ranting and raving about the absurdities of life and his observations and perceptions. God, what am I going on about.

BUT WAIT! There's more....some other fun facts about me, hopefully hinting at my archetype:

sometimes I find joy in self deprication, cynicism, and especially the ironies surrounding it - it makes me feel sane, in a way. That's why I love black comedy and love implementing it into my sense of humor as well...it's fuel for my passion, in a way, and I'm usually very successful if I'm passionate about something (ooh, I smell some Fi cooking?!) interestingly enough, movies, shows and music aimed to make you feel good or does indeed make most people happy (I don't know, think any cheesy Adam Sandler movie or that one Phil Collins song from that Tarzan movie, or fuck, most Disney movies in general) either freak me out or make me feel depressed, or both, starting with the former. To wash this disturbing feeling away, I have to resort to the cynicism, so I can feel sane again. This is probably why I listen to a lot of dark, intense, and thoughtful music. In other words, the wires of my brain are misconfigured.

After introspecting some more, And I may have self taught myself not to take things for granted here - but I sometimes have a tendency to feel an inner pride in whatever I own, or value in life- if its something that i really wanted. This is why I was opining Fi-dominance before, but I realized that really any type could do this - we are all snowflakes and we blow in different ways! Its just expressed differently, im just not sure how yet. Unless I'm mistaken....and if so, wow, you thinkers must be really numb inside huh? (Hehehe....kidding in a way, but go ahead, say I'm a feeler because I made that statement :p

i tend to strive for accuracy, usually when writing or even solving a problem or doing a task. For example, I edited several excerpts in paragraphs trying to find the right word to explain something numerous times writing this! Most will say this is pure Ti, but I think it's a Ji-Dom thing.

i have been getting the feeling that the way I think has gotten so advanced to the point where I cannot explain my thoughts as accurately as I should....possibly due to a lacking vocabulary? Or I am just philosophical, and I haven't fully embraced it yet. Or none of this is true, and I like to think this is an actual dilemma? BAH!

I'm getting sick of typing on this iPad. It's taken me two hours. I'll stop here. If that isn't enough to work with, here are some threads I posted a while ago with more data:

Two questionnaires on the Cafe I did from a few months ago: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/140358-i-need-professional-help.html

I posted this also on the Cafe, when I was going mildly insane with worries about whether or not my life was going to crash and burn into a mental jailcell full of self destruction (and I thought I was Fi-dominant at the time) http://personalitycafe.com/general-chat/142809-no-fucking-idea-about-life-anymore-i.html

I'm also interested to hear what these four input, if they choose to do so: [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] [MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION] [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] Lurking and reading posts, I usually find your perspectives interesting...

ugh, I sound like an attention whore. Sorry if this scatterbrain spaghetti special was annoying to read...

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going to go with someone who is an INTP, and also a teenager. At around age 16-20, I was bursting with crazy passion, and there was no filter on it, either, other than my own shyness.

W

WALMART

There are a lot of things here I identify with personally, and many things I can relate back to what Jung has written.

I don't have much doubt you are an introverted rational. Congrats on establishing that. To address the heart of the situation, thinking is to sensing as feeling is to intuition. Sensing/Thinking is primarily concerned with the actuality of reality, the objective influence of an object, while Intuition/Feeling is primarily concerned with the influential subconscious perceptions of objective orientation. The latter can be seen in your proclamation that you are unable to intelligibly transmit the entirety of your perceptions, that your thinking has become more complex than the constraints of language are able to induce in another,

"But the fact that thoughts can generally be expressed more intelligibly than feelings demands a more than ordinary descriptive or artistic capacity before the real wealth of this feeling can be even approximately presented or communicated to the outer world. Whereas subjective thinking, on account of its unrelatedness, finds great difficulty in arousing an adequate understanding, the same, though in perhaps even higher degree, holds good for subjective feeling. In order to communicate with others it has to find an external form which is not only fitted to absorb the subjective feeling in a satisfying expression, but which must also convey it to one's fellowman in such a way that a parallel process takes place in him."

He says it occurs for Ti users also, though to a lesser degree, and so I identify with. To my chagrin, I rarely feel I am capitulating the entire 'image' my mind sees, but I feel I do a well enough job most circumstances. Often, I'll forgo entire discussions out of sheer laziness, that to capture the entirety of my rationale would require far more work than I'm willing to perform. Jung states almost every characteristic facet of a Ti user can be projected upon the Fi user, and he has this to say about the former:

"Thus it happens that this type tends to disappear behind a cloud of misunderstanding, which only thickens the more he attempts to assume, by way of compensation and with the help of his inferior functions, a certain mask of urbanity, which often presents a most vivid contrast to his real nature."

It's hard not to draw certain parallels between introverted rationals and a character like Patrick Bateman, a man wholly consumed by an external world, unable to reconcile his introverted nature against an externally motivated environment - one that (perhaps unfortunately) all exist in. Fi is maybe closer to being psychologically linked with the environment?

Uh. I might have gone off-topic there towards the end. I have a fair deal to do today, but I do recall noting several things throughout your writing that clicked with assorted facets of my knowledge or experience. I will try to be back with more later this evening.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Thus it happens that this type tends to disappear behind a cloud of misunderstanding, which only thickens the more he attempts to assume, by way of compensation and with the help of his inferior functions, a certain mask of urbanity, which often presents a most vivid contrast to his real nature."

Intriguing....Is the implication that "inferior Fe courtesy" makes the true nature of IXTP hidden? Perhaps as a defense?

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
I'm going to go with someone who is an INTP, and also a teenager. At around age 16-20, I was bursting with crazy passion, and there was no filter on it, either, other than my own shyness.
Interesting, could you go into greater depth on this? I can get really strong feelings when introspecting, which could very well be anxiety related, but could you have perhaps related to that?

I think enneagram plays a role in this too somehow.

I

Infinite Bubble

Ti-doms are said to be prone to hyper-emotionalism sometimes due to the sensitivity of inferior-Fe, even to the point of believing they are Feelers.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Ti-doms are said to be prone to hyper-emotionalism sometimes due to the sensitivity of inferior-Fe, even to the point of believing they are Feelers.

To the point where they think they hold value to anything they admire? (Unless I'm misunderstanding the term "value" ... and I personally think this has somewhat of a weak correlation of certain functions and the discernment, however it can be broken down into counterparts of how different functions compose values...)

EDIT- I think I misread your post there a little, obviously values don't = emotions. Could this hyper emotionalism be difficulty suppressing strong feelings, even when NOT stressed out?

I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=17347]louiesgonnadie[/MENTION], if you relate yourself to values in such a conscious manner then perhaps that is an indicator of Fi, albeit, not that great of one without further analysis. You may also want to take into account that if you really are a Type 5, then that could make you a much more INTP-like INFP, superficially. As for your question, the hyper-emotionalism would come in short bursts, typically under stress (but not necessarily), as under normal circumstances Ti-dominance naturally suppresses it into unconsciousness.

Apologies if you have already covered this - I have only skimmed over the OP - but how exactly do you behave under stress? What exact situation most causes stress above all others?

I may do a thorough analysis tomorrow; but right now it's late and I've cast off sleep for long enough.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
[MENTION=17347]louiesgonnadie[/MENTION], if you relate yourself to values in such a conscious manner then perhaps that is an indicator of Fi, albeit, not that great of one without further analysis. You may also want to take into account that if you really are a Type 5, then that could make you a much more INTP-like INFP, superficially. As for your question, the hyper-emotionalism would come in short bursts, typically under stress (but not necessarily), as under normal circumstances Ti-dominance naturally suppresses it into unconsciousness.

Apologies if you have already covered this - I have only skimmed over the OP - but how exactly do you behave under stress? What exact situation most causes stress above all others?

I may do a thorough analysis tomorrow; but right now it's late and I've cast off sleep for long enough.

I am also very tired so i will try to keep it brief. Although I would maybe opt values for worth, however I personally dont believe there is a strict link between values and Fi. Though a better way of putting it - I do spend a lot of time thinking about the meaning of anything in life, usually things that are associated or related to me. This can have an emotional or passionate affect on me.

Under stress or a better way of putting it, how stress is created...a combination of anxiety, some soc. anxiety thrown in there and a fear of making mistakes, however that could be due to a lack of real world experience, since I am not used to doing things in general...so whenever I make a mistake I go inside my head and ruminate over it for a day or so and analyze (I talked about this a bit in the OP.) A day or two ago i had a socially awkward/aloof moment that made me feel so stupid and humiliated, to the point where I had to completely withdraw from the social scene because I was uncomfortable. You can compare this to a fault in a damaged building. In other words, concentration is lost and I am prone to making more mistakes because of that. Obviously, people didn't look at it as humiliating as I saw it...a couple people who witnessed my mistakes greeted me today.
Now some people can relate this to inferior Si but honestly I can't see my Si that low. I think its rather Fi or Ti getting stuck in a rut.

However when solving a problem or trying to work something out (usually related to my life) when I have a certain logic I want to follow because I think it makes sense, and another person stands by their logic or belief rigidly, not accepting or considering mine, I can get pretty annoyed and this sometimes negatively affects how I view somebody if done consistently with said person (Fi?)
When said person is angry and being irrational there is a good chance I will become offended or hurt, or angry and explode out of fustration, especially if I have a disliking for this particular person (the latter probably matches better if I have a disliking or even indifference towards someone). This usually happens at home in a social anxiety-free environment (at home, and this usually happens with a lot of discussions me and my mother have) since anxiety holds a very tight reign on my emotions in public.
Based on what I know, the only inferior functions that seem to match are Te and Fe. Yet I cannot tell.
It would be helpful if you described hyper emotionalism. Is that some sort of emotional breakdown based off of other strong emotions in the environment? I dont think that happens with me, if that is indeed what it is? However, I could possibly relate to many situations where Ti suppresses Fe.

As far as further analysis goes, sure I say go for it, if you have free time or nothing better to do, heh. It is a lot, though, so take your time.

I

Infinite Bubble

As a preteen, I had these obsessive interests. I obsessed over interests like dogs, to the point where I memorized every dog breed in a week. The pokemon games were fascinating to me as well, I loved looking at new strategies from cheat guides and then using them to become better. One that really stood out, though, was weather. GOD, was I obsessed with that shit. To the point where I would go out in snowstorms or flooding rains, and wanted to be a crazed storm chaser in the middle of Kansas.

Possibly to do with being Sx-first. They seek intensity of something or someone and that allows them to feel complete.

One thing I loved doing was creating hypothetical scenarios based off of things I was interested in. Movies. Music. During my weather phase, as a kid, I would go in my backyard and pretended weeds, shrubs, plants and gardens were actually towns, cites, and suburban areas - I twisted my own reality and started viewing my backyard as a separate geographical landscape, a new world...so I could take a hose and pretend hurricanes, tornadoes and floods were demolishing this geographical wonder...and I would inspect the damage afterwards. Ugh, would I skydive rapidly towards the ground just to relive those days... one thing that was really fascinating about my interests was the fact that I didn't need food or sleep to alleviate my concentration...my level of fascination was so high that it fed my appetite!

This will just be your Ne, and once again, Sx in that last sentence.

whenever my parents fought, I would trap myself in my room and not speak to them until they made up (which indicated some weaker form of Fe to me). I detested divorced individuals, for reasons that I cannot recall, just the thought of it made me really uncomfortable ( I'd guess immature Fi dominance there?) I was overly sensitive to criticism and harsh feedback, or teasing, or anything of the like - I would take it literally.

Yep, there’s your inferior Fe. The bolded especially is typical of inferior Fe. Stereotypical, in fact.

I was quiet, but not so much introspective (like I am now) as much as wanting to stay drama free, and live in harmony with everyone (in other words, not really an inner harmony but wanting everyone to feel the same way I did, usually positively)

That’s a big indicator of Fe – INTPs may have low Fe, but it’s still very much there, just more unconsciously, so they usually still desire harmony in the group, and as it’s their inferior, they can be especially sensitive when there isn’t harmony. It could also indicate Type 9 somewhere in your trifix.

I also watched shows like American Idol, and while I did get emotionally attached to some contestants and started rooting for them...later on I suspected that it was probably due to me "personalizing" this, basically I wanted said contestant to reach a certain level in the competition I was content with, and this made me feel like I accomplished something, because I didnt feel like I accomplished anything in my life.

That’s a more Fe sort of thing in general, and the fact that it was brought up because of a negative circumstance – lacking feeling of accomplishment – may indicate it being in the inferior position.

Today I am crippled by anxiety, depression, concern, and bitterness of the world around me and what I think I have become.

I have SA too, and it is like a grotesque dark veil covering who you really are, I’m sure you’ll agree. The problem in this context is that it is difficult to decipher how this is affecting your judgement of MBTI type. A lot of the time the anxiety can look like inferior-Fe. With you though, I genuinely think you have Fe. I think Fe users in general are perhaps more susceptible to SA as well.

However, instead of wallowing around in shame like I used to when I was a recluse

Type 4 has problems with shame – especially the Soc-4. You certainly have a strong 4 side, which is probably a reason why you have trouble deciding between INTP and INFP.

making a mistake that is humiliating to the degree where I go inside my head and analyse the cause of that particular problem, finding ways to view that mistake. I may also find ways to deal with situations like that in the future but sometimes I am so dumbfounded as to why I keep making these mistakes? Is my anxiety affecting my concentration?

A concoction of Ti, Type 5, Ne and possibly Si all in one there.

Either way I try to find the root of that problem without looking at every angle (I have trouble finding angles in some situations) some of you may say this is Ni, but I suspect it is Ji-Si getting stuck in a rut....but what do I know.

Actually, Ni does look at every angle. But Ti breaks something down to see its fundamentals or the “root”, so perhaps that is what’s showing here.

I remember I used to be energized by the idea of being in love, finding that special someone to be with forever. I used to create these dream girls in my head, usually during my reclusive period. But a while ago I realized that I might not be that interesting of a person... So I decided i needed to focus on myself more before I started approaching this particular goal of mine. I don't know, the thing about love is tricky....I crave that feeling of harmony of two souls expressing feelings and caring for each other

Sx again, maybe.

(Then again, how can "success" be measured? In this case, probably internally.)

Evidence for Ji, which you already know you are predominantly of course.

Not to say people strongly dislike me...but there is a general annoyance, for sure, from time to time.

How do you know of this? Have they literally said it, or do you get a general “feeling” emanating from them? If it is the latter, then that is more evidence for Fe.

About how I view people - a lot of the behavioral patterns of certain people my age (I'm 19) deeply annoy me, watching loud girls on a train talk about their experiences seeing that cute boy wink at them (aka nothing) but talking over each other, resembling utter nonsense that sounds deafening...for example. I've been overly judgemental towards people for things like this in the past, which is why I was so sure I was Fi-dominant for a couple months, but then I mulled it over a little more and found out it may have had something to do with negative experiences with people in the past - and it may have muddled into my subconscious ways of thinking I suspect.

It may be that you value people having quiet and intelligent conversations, or that it is Si – you have stored the sensory data of people talking over each other irritatingly from your past, and this data makes you feel angry; subjective, as is Si. I’m guessing it’s both, and since anyone can have values, I’d attribute it mostly to Si. This would certainly not make someone Fi-dominant.

Blah, feelings suck. Life would be easier if I was a robot beneath all this flesh. (Heh, not really.)

Probably showing inferior-Fe. You have a negative experiences with feelings, and think they get in the way, rather than being comfortable with them. (Even if you were half-joking.) Of course, Fe isn't actually all about emotions. But those with it high in the stack will be more predisposed to go by them - they won't find them uncomfortable, and it will be natural.

sometimes I find joy in self deprication, cynicism, and especially the ironies surrounding it - it makes me feel sane, in a way. That's why I love black comedy and love implementing it into my sense of humor as well...it's fuel for my passion, in a way, and I'm usually very successful if I'm passionate about something (ooh, I smell some Fi cooking?!)

Sx once more I think.

interestingly enough, movies, shows and music aimed to make you feel good or does indeed make most people happy (I don't know, think any cheesy Adam Sandler movie or that one Phil Collins song from that Tarzan movie, or fuck, most Disney movies in general) either freak me out or make me feel depressed, or both, starting with the former. To wash this disturbing feeling away, I have to resort to the cynicism, so I can feel sane again. This is probably why I listen to a lot of dark, intense, and thoughtful music. In other words, the wires of my brain are misconfigured.

I think this might be something to do with Sx and some sort of fear of being content – a need for turbulence in the mind, perhaps.

i tend to strive for accuracy, usually when writing or even solving a problem or doing a task. For example, I edited several excerpts in paragraphs trying to find the right word to explain something numerous times writing this! Most will say this is pure Ti, but I think it's a Ji-Dom thing.

Anyone can do this really, but I guess it supports Ti anyway.

i have been getting the feeling that the way I think has gotten so advanced to the point where I cannot explain my thoughts as accurately as I should....possibly due to a lacking vocabulary? Or I am just philosophical, and I haven't fully embraced it yet. Or none of this is true, and I like to think this is an actual dilemma?

I feel the same way, except I believe I’m just bad at articulating thoughts that well. It’s better in writing, but I cannot speak in any sort of concise or intelligent manner to save my life.

Also, from your “I need professional help!” thread:

I would probably accept his judgement, but discern it and either pick apart parts of his claim that seemed wrong, or inconsistent, or showcase other sides of my judgement, to try and get the point across. Not aggressively, but fairly. I wouldn't try to sway him, I actually wouldn't really care.

Huge indicator of Ti over Fi. Picking it apart, which seemed inconsistent (to you). I daresay that a high-Fi user would also care about the judgement a lot more.

In conclusion, INTP; there was Ti-Fe rather than Fi-Te, a lot of Sx influence, and type 5w4 or 4w5. In fact, INTP 4w5 might be more suitable, but there isn’t enough evidence to say conclusively. I’m not certain on you being So-second, as that is usually the one you are creative and comfortable in.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My guess is you could be an ENFP. There's a lot going on though and I'm just not sure.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
How do you know of this? Have they literally said it, or do you get a general “feeling” emanating from them? If it is the latter, then that is more evidence for Fe.

It's more of an intuitive vibe I get from their facial expressions and reactive demeanor towards me. However I've seen people say strong F + N functions can read between the lines like this. Although your reasoning towards Fe in this case makes sense.

It may be that you value people having quiet and intelligent conversations, or that it is Si – you have stored the sensory data of people talking over each other irritatingly from your past, and this data makes you feel angry; subjective, as is Si. I’m guessing it’s both, and since anyone can have values, I’d attribute it mostly to Si. This would certainly not make someone Fi-dominant.

Interesting....however this sounds like Si + Fi to me. However I think I have a limited understanding so I'd like you to elaborate further on this. I agree that Si could evoke certain emotions but I don't think it would trigger a thinking function to make a judgment. However, I don't know for sure, just my thoughts...

Probably showing inferior-Fe. You have a negative experiences with feelings, and think they get in the way, rather than being comfortable with them.

I wouldn't say they are negative to me in general. I might have a tough time embracing them because I feel awkward and self conscious about it. When I am explaining something though, I may use them as what I like to call a "decoration" for the context of my statement, and trying to create some excitement for the listener. I can get passionate explaining things though, mainly things that I am fond of or things that fascinate me. It also clearly shows in the tone of my voice. I think this leans toward Fi but it could also have an sx attribution to it. Would you say it's the former, latter or something else?

I think this might be something to do with Sx and some sort of fear of being content – a need for turbulence in the mind, perhaps.

Interesting....being content is something I strive for in life. Unless you meant something else.

Also, from your “I need professional help!” thread:

Huge indicator of Ti over Fi. Picking it apart, which seemed inconsistent (to you). I daresay that a high-Fi user would also care about the judgement a lot more.

I wanted to add that if it affected me in a negative way I might be offended by it, however that might not say much.

In conclusion, INTP; there was Ti-Fe rather than Fi-Te, a lot of Sx influence, and type 5w4 or 4w5. In fact, INTP 4w5 might be more suitable, but there isn’t enough evidence to say conclusively. I’m not certain on you being So-second, as that is usually the one you are creative and comfortable in.

Your analysis makes sense, especially the points toward inferior Fe, since I initially thought it may be a little too extreme to relate to as I find myself to be generally patient with emotions, at least I try/like to be. I would like you to explain hyper-emotionalism though. However I still find it a little hard to see myself as an INTP because I do have a couple of examples which could point towards Fi-Te, possibly inferior Te in particular. However I was somewhat unhealthy and very scatterbrained in those situations so I am unsure. I feel uncomfortable mentioning it in this thread so perhaps ill PM you.

However one thing I didn't agree with in your analysis was not related to type but rather the construction - I think everything can relate to functions, instead of just pinpointing how a certain excerpt pertains to a an instinctual variant or enneatype/wing/trifix, and quite possibly vice versa. Unless you meant as a general rule it pertains to that excerpt more than anything else. Just my thoughts as I don't mean to sound like a nitpicking douche... :p

Also your perception of SA - so unfortunately true! Sorry to hear you suffer from it as as well.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm just interested as to how you got an ENFP-ish vibe, that is all.

I see a tremendous amount of Ne in your posts which is often a good indication of Ne dom.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
I see a tremendous amount of Ne in your posts which is often a good indication of Ne dom.

I agree I have strong Ne but it is also an indicator of me in "extravert mode", I am turning to my preferred extraverted function to explain my thoughts. Also I feel like my Ji keeps my Ne in line for the most part. Also, Ji is a mainly internal process. There is a more complex perspective on this, I think it is called Crow's Nest theory or something, I dont quite recall, but I remember [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] talking about it once. Maybe he can explain it as I am not totally fully understanding of it.

Basically, I personally think the intensity of someone's function isn't enough to justify that it is dominant. But what do I know...

I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=17347]louiesgonnadie[/MENTION], I will answer this and the PM soon - first I have to make sense of the information to make adequate conclusions. Also, I believe that might be a trait of P-dominance; accepting the info primarily, then screening it for a while, seeing where it fits together, then making a full conclusion afterwards. A J-dom screens first before accepting it, and P-doms accept it, then screen, so I've read. That's also why J-doms come to conclusions much faster in general. Thinking which one you are might help in figuring out if you are JiPe or PeJi, although right now I still think the former. But still, if the first description is accurate, it may indicate Ne-dominance.

I'm trying to find the exact page which described the emotionalism in the INTP, also. I've forgotten the exact phrases and don't want to mislead you.

I

Infinite Bubble

*sigh* Double post.

I'll make use of it by stating that I'm reconsidering Fi-Te or Ti-Fe. What looks like inf-Fe might be down to other, unrelated factors. You seem to dissect information going by internal logical consistency like a Ti-user though.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
*sigh* Double post.

I'll make use of it by stating that I'm reconsidering Fi-Te or Ti-Fe. What looks like inf-Fe might be down to other, unrelated factors. You seem to dissect information going by internal logical consistency like a Ti-user though.

It's okay, double posts happen.

Yes, screening then accepting makes sense to me. Although I may possibly be misunderstanding..hm. Eh, no, I'd say Ji-Dom makes more sense to me, I read an INTP article stating how Ti-dominance gets frustrated with all the Ne possibilities and patterns, and Ti (or Ji) wants order, and a conclusion to be made. Think of this as a courtroom full of differing perspectives and the Judge is overwhelmed, thus he demands order and consistency. Yeah, sounds like my thought process.

If you want, while re-considering you can also read some responses on the thread i posted on the cafe, same topic: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/158208-infp-intp.html there is more info about my thought process and reasoning in those responses.

Sorry if this is overwhelming.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
I also wanted to add that I was re-reading this thread, and this caught my attention:

thinking is to sensing as feeling is to intuition. Sensing/Thinking is primarily concerned with the actuality of reality, the objective influence of an object, while Intuition/Feeling is primarily concerned with the influential subconscious perceptions of objective orientation.

I've seen sources suggesting Jung stating T/F were rational while N/S irrational, and im wondering where you got this source that differs from those sources? I've never heard it explained that way. However, it does make more sense to me being T is to S and vice versa if we're looking at concrete vs abstract, conscious vs unconscious etc. However T/F also is stated by Jung as rational pertaining to judgement, while N/S pertains to perception. Confusing yet very interesting.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree I have strong Ne but it is also an indicator of me in "extravert mode", I am turning to my preferred extraverted function to explain my thoughts. Also I feel like my Ji keeps my Ne in line for the most part. Also, Ji is a mainly internal process. There is a more complex perspective on this, I think it is called Crow's Nest theory or something, I dont quite recall, but I remember [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] talking about it once. Maybe he can explain it as I am not totally fully understanding of it.

Basically, I personally think the intensity of someone's function isn't enough to justify that it is dominant. But what do I know...

I wouldn't use crow's nest or double agents as defined by Lenore Thompson to try and type a person. It seems like an exercise with a low probability of accuracy. It involves turning to the functions that aren't even in your top 4, which in theory, would not be something that happens a lot.

You are right, the intensity of someone's function isn't enough to justify it as dominant. It's a reasonable clue that could lead to a guess however. INFP seems like a very good possibility as well. I don't think INTP fits.