• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

I

Infinite Bubble

this is nonsense.

Fair enough. I was misinformed.

[MENTION=17347]louiesgonnadie[/MENTION], guess you should go with NFP after all. If an INTP says you don't match up, you probably don't. Just figure out if you relate to inferior Te or Si more. I personally think the former, judging from what you've said.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
If an INTP says you don't match up, you probably don't.

That's funny, because based on this thread and private messaging conversations that I've had with [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] , (who is INTP in case you forgot) he seems to think I match up well. Also, I believe the logic of "that person is type X, and doesnt think said person is type X, so he must be right!" doesn't always match up.

Also, why are you backing down from your assessment so quickly? Just curious...

I

Infinite Bubble

That's funny, because based on this thread and private messaging conversations that I've had with [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] , (who is INTP in case you forgot) he seems to think I match up well. Also, I believe the logic of "that person is type X, and doesnt think said person is type X, so he must be right!" doesn't always match up.

Also, why are you backing down from your assessment so quickly? Just curious...

Yeah, remembered that right after I posted. Yes I agree with what you said, but still, who knows if there are other inaccuracies in the assessment that could be misleading you.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why would that supression eliminate the desire?
Why would you suppress a desire for harmony?
Isn't that desire one of the main points of Fe, regardless of where it is placed
The inferior doesn't operate like a watered down version of the same function when it's consciously expressed. Rather it has an oppositional energy. It is better to think of the inferior as the shadow of what is undeveloped in the personality. Especially at earlier stages of development.

When I am trying to be humorous, I usually let my Ne run loose. I sometimes see this in some writings of Ji-doms as well. However I get the feeling you're going to say they're mistyped Ne-doms. Could that be?
I can't comment on individuals whose writing I haven't seen.

Ji-doms do not generally produce stream-of-consciousness posts like yours, unless that's the specific effect they are going for. They are usually more structured.

I am mainly responding to your energy level, intensity and scattered attention. More Pe less Ji.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Ji-doms do not generally produce stream-of-consciousness posts like yours, unless that's the specific effect they are going for. They are usually more structured.

I am mainly responding to your energy level, intensity and scattered attention. More Pe less Ji.

You could be right. However, could it be that I have so much going on in my head (which is an 'internal world' where everything is purely subjective) and because of that, there is uncertainty, which breeds possibilities, which makes it harder to structure my thoughts? As opposed to the "external world", where there is more objectivity, which allows me to hone in on units and possibilities in a more brief and structured way.

Maybe this is why so many INxPs have difficulty discerning their type? There's even an article that suggests this: http://personalityjunkie.com/05/infps-intps-personality-type-inferior-function/

But hey, if you disagree with this, or if this seems wrong and you're totally sure of it, educate me. I would like to learn more about this.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could be right. However, could it be that I have so much going on in my head (which is an 'internal world' where everything is purely subjective) and because of that, there is uncertainty, which breeds possibilities, which makes it harder to structure my thoughts?
Are you suggesting that most introverts don't have much going on in their heads?

It's what's going on outside of your head that I'm witnessing and assessing.

If you feel you fit a particular type, fine. I'm just explaining why you might be confused. But you might be confused for many other reasons.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Are you suggesting that most introverts don't have much going on in their heads?

It's what's going on outside of your head that I'm witnessing and assessing.

If you feel you fit a particular type, fine. I'm just explaining why you might be confused. But you might be confused for many other reasons.

Lol no, quite the opposite in fact. Although extroverts have their internally deep moments where they get lost in their heads. Perhaps the external world creates balance?

Interesting observation. I've always felt that, even in the external world, I tend to get lost in my thoughts and inner patterns, and contemplate often.

Hmm, I'm confused though. Maybe I just don't see it, because I am 'extraverting' too much? (Though I doubt that) Maybe ill ask an ENTP..
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] , as an Ne-dom, would you say your thought process lines up nicely with mine, described in my writings?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe this is why so many INxPs have difficulty discerning their type? There's even an article that suggests this: http://personalityjunkie.com/05/infps-intps-personality-type-inferior-function/

INP's are Behind the Scenes, which can be either Supine or Phlegmatic, and for the INFP, the Supine will fit well, but for the INTP, it will make them seem softer and more "feeling"-like. And you seem to identify with Supine In the social area, so that will give you some T/F ambiguity.
(That page is pretty good, though I'm not sure I buy the "finding in love=Fe (or Fi)" thing. In fact, as we were recently discussing, that is likely a form of undifferentiated Feeling (or some other term [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] mentioned; can't even remember it right now) if anything).

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Lol no, quite the opposite in fact. Although extroverts have their internally deep moments where they get lost in their heads. Perhaps the external world creates balance?

Interesting observation. I've always felt that, even in the external world, I tend to get lost in my thoughts and inner patterns, and contemplate often.

Hmm, I'm confused though. Maybe I just don't see it, because I am 'extraverting' too much? (Though I doubt that) Maybe ill ask an ENTP..
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] , as an Ne-dom, would you say your thought process lines up nicely with mine, described in my writings?

This thread from PerC helped me out. It breaks down the differences between Ti and Fi...

Ti vs. Fi: A closer look

This is what the thread basically says...

Ti is an abstract deductive reasoning process. Would it be correct to say that Ti focuses on stripping away at the superficial side of any given object/situation to find the inner and pure objective information? Ti then goes to define and ultimately fit the piece of information into an internal model of all objective information collected thus far. All done unconsciously for the most part until a particularly complex bit of information cannot fit in which case both the information and the internal construct are called into question until all inconsistencies are worked out and the puzzle is solved. The larger problems require varying amounts of time, energy, and logical processing until everything fits once again. This is how Ti can pinpoint inconsistencies from miles away, the information they received is not the proper shape or not even from the same puzzle as they understand the world to function.

Fi would then be an abstract integration process taking into account pure subjective information or 'feelings'. The internal world model is constructed less of logical systems as Ti. Fi focuses less on defining new information and more on simply understanding and then integrating it to the basic framework already in place. Like conducting and building a song one instrumental piece at a time. Fi is focused on how things work together, and dissonance is readily apparent. A distinction from the inconsistency targeting of Ti where things must fit, Fi can work with small inconsistencies as long as the bigger picture can still function as whole.

Objectivity and subjectivity are a large separation in the functions. Fi types are very close to their inner feelings, understand them, yet the objectivity of language prevents them from expressing this portion of their being. Fi then needs to take subjective viewpoints into account in their internal world model because that is the part world they best understand and they see it to affect their worldview greatly. This is not to say they ignore objectivity, yet a danger zone for Fi (DomFi especially) is to ignore objective truth that doesn't harmonize with their subjective truth resulting in either an overly-emotional or a self-centered person (or both, depending on your perspective). Ti, on the other hand, is either does not understand it like Fi can (much like Fi has a harder time with deductive reasoning of objective qualities), or deems it irrelevant. An unbalanced Ti would be entirely disconnected with the human element leaving their world model incomplete and too rigid for that sort of information. (ironically becoming too subjective in their objectivity)

I view the two functions as then starting from the same point when given piece of information and going opposite directions (not necessarily to opposing conclusions, however). Fi preferring to work outward only going inward when harmony is not achieved, and Ti working inward venturing outward when the pieces do not fit. Thus, they are almost mirror processes, neither being more or less rational than the other; only as rational as the information going in.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Well, after pondering on it some more, I've finally came to a conclusion! That conclusion is...

...that I am just flat out untypeable right now. Honestly, I'm in a pretty bad time in my life right now, full of depression, stress, anxiety, and perhaps that is the root of my cynical nature? Due to this stress I am very scatterbrained, finding it somewhat hard to read information and grasp concepts, which could really help me on this subject. I can only discern so much in my head. I also think I was different as a kid, from what I can remember I was a little more cheerful (eg I liked dancing then, and I fucking hate it now). So who knows, I could be a fucking ESFJ for all i know (and god help me if I am...)

Thanks to everyone who shared their input, especially [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] , [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] , [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=17266]Infinite Bubble[/MENTION] . I hope to continue my typology research at a better time. If I get to a better time.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
It may take some concentration, but it's best just to read Jung's original writings and do some introspection in relation to it.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

Lol, probably not. I have been impatient taking in new data lately, but maybe that's ADHD.

But thanks for the link. That could be really helpful for me in the future.

EDIT: and another discovery I made today...sometimes my feelings do actually allow me to explain myself clearer. Maybe I'm a feeler after all.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
I think I've finally got it (well, for now)

INFP sx/so or so/sx?

And here are the main reasons why:

-I failed to exhibit the chronic searching for clarity and truth thought processing system when I was younger. Rather, I adapted this because I feel like it is the logical/accurate way to solve problems. As a kid, I was more likely to side by something based on how it feels right to me, and build on that, rather than looking at all the angles and binding them together (even though I try to do that now). I don't see a Ti-dominant doing this as a child.
-One of my main purposes in life is to achieve individual creative expression, and try to achieve my goals, no matter how fucking stupid or unnecessary people say they are. I mean sure, I'm always open to new information on how to improve my goals or think differently, but ultimately it comes down to what I think is right, or what I want to do.
-I know how I feel. While I can attest to having unconscious feelings and even impulsively acting on them which is associated with Ti-dominants, I always see Ti-doms talk about how they're not sure how they feel and or what to do with them. I almost ALWAYS know how I'm feeling.
-yeah, I do try to consider external feelings and needs - but at my own expense, not totally because im actually concerned for the others. I feel violated if I do something wrong, or say something wrong in a group setting, or whatever - because the fact that I upset someone I admire makes me feel like a shitty person.
-I feel very incompetent, but usually by my standards - it usually won't matter if someone tells me I'm smart or I'm doing fine, unless I personally agree (or maybe a large number of people agree, but they have to be people I admire for the most part) This just totally reeks of Fi to me.
-I usually have ideals and work to attain that (if realistic) - good example would be with romantic partners.
-And finally, I ordered this list in a very Te way, so that rounds out my arguement (actually, this would be flimsy evidence if I didn't add that I do identify with inferior-Te manifestations like harsh criticisms and judgements towards myself and/or others when angry or upset)

okay, fine, here is some flimsy evidence: I watched 500 Days of Summer, and found that I related to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character quite a damn bit! :p

ENFP could be a possibility too, but I don't see my Ne overriding Fi.

Now I just need some help with my enneagram. I suspect 5w4, but of course, I'm not sure since I have a limited understanding. Maybe [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] could help out (though I'd skim through the OP first)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17347]louiesgonnadie[/MENTION]
your avatar certainly looks 5w4/4w5-ish, but I don't know enough about you yet. have you filled out one of the open ended questionnaires on PerC?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay, fine, here is some flimsy evidence: I watched 500 Days of Summer, and found that I related to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character quite a damn bit!
He's so INTP in that movie, it's not even funny. (she's ENFP)

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
[MENTION=17347]louiesgonnadie[/MENTION]
your avatar certainly looks 5w4/4w5-ish, but I don't know enough about you yet. have you filled out one of the open ended questionnaires on PerC?

I have, two in fact - and they are enclosed in the OP.

Yeah, my avatar is an eccentric sketch of Maynard James Keenan.