• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP, ESFP, ENFP or neither?

What type am I?

• ISFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESFP

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • ENFP

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when I change my mind about things it drives people nuts. I think it's because I sound like I'm always sure of what I think but they don't understand my convictions change based on how everything else changes,not me.

Yeah, everyday I wake up motivated and organize a list of things to do on my mind, but then I have an idea and spend hours researching about it and things stay undone unless I force myself do act. Then I do a bunch of things non-stop and at the same time, the weird thing is that multitasking in a rush usually works for me.

I get exhausted after, though :(

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a quote from socionics.us about Ne as a leading function: "Someone with as their leading function is very dependent on his/her feelings of interest and disinterest. Interest and boredom seem to be the driving forces in such a person's life — more so than for any other types. Other types also find things 'interesting' and 'boring,' however, they are able to derive satisfaction and enjoyment from things that aren't necessarily interesting and novel, as opposed to types. Just as types can't make themselves do things that cause internal discomfort or are physically unpleasant, types can't make themselves do things that do not engage them mentally (do not give them anything interesting to think about)."

From what I've seen N types ask "why" a lot more.

Things need to be explained and understood rather than taken on face value.

Does it hold any truth?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting point about Se leading function discussing Ne.

I was recently at a socionics meet up, discussing my own type with the group organisers daughter who is a (by self, mother and others) ESFp. Socionics does not have the same bias towards N's and so S types are more appreciated for their practical qualities.

When discussing similarities and differences with Olga's daughter we hit upon new experiences. We both very much enjoyed trying local cuisines in new foreign lands. I explaind i really wanted to find the nature of a place, that i always found local places (rather than tourist) places more interesting, that i liked asking questions finding out about where the produce had come from, it's meaning in culture etc.

She then told me that she really didn't see what the point was. how did that extra information help me, what did it do?

I suppose i was quite surprised by this, not because i disagreed with her but because i had just not ever thought about it...not ever wandered what the point was... the process of research i find enriching in itself... i do not need an outcome. She really just enjoyed the experience of tasting the food, the texture, the newness, to say she had done it, she enjoyed taking her friends to these places too and liked the response she got from them...liked watching them during the experience...the faces they made, their excitement etc.

Maybe thats a difference between Se and Ne there. Se wanders what the point is... if there is an actual practical use to having this info...a reason for asking. I think she felt by directing attention away from the immediate you were detracting from it's importance. I can understand it a lot better for that conversation.

/ramble

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^These two posts are very similar. [MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION] what that paragraph is describing is not Ne, but a practical consequence of Ne, which is the interest/boredom dichotomy. Of course is Ne's goal is to build that bigger puzzle where everything makes sense and is related, if an Ne-dom is walking around and does not find input, then he gets bored because his dominant function is turned off.
Much the same [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] I don't want to speak for you, but I guess yours (or at least my) interest in foreign things is ultimately to enlarge that bigger picture which is your notion of the world (Ne puzzle). You were apparently not aware of this in the beginning and the Se-dom did not understand it.

I

Infinite Bubble

What is your behavior and thoughts like when you are under stress? What things cause the greatest stress for you?

I wouldn't rule out ENFP yet. You seem to have Si.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting point about Se leading function discussing Ne.

I was recently at a socionics meet up, discussing my own type with the group organisers daughter who is a (by self, mother and others) ESFp. Socionics does not have the same bias towards N's and so S types are more appreciated for their practical qualities.

When discussing similarities and differences with Olga's daughter we hit upon new experiences. We both very much enjoyed trying local cuisines in new foreign lands. I explaind i really wanted to find the nature of a place, that i always found local places (rather than tourist) places more interesting, that i liked asking questions finding out about where the produce had come from, it's meaning in culture etc.

She then told me that she really didn't see what the point was. how did that extra information help me, what did it do?

I suppose i was quite surprised by this, not because i disagreed with her but because i had just not ever thought about it...not ever wandered what the point was... the process of research i find enriching in itself... i do not need an outcome. She really just enjoyed the experience of tasting the food, the texture, the newness, to say she had done it, she enjoyed taking her friends to these places too and liked the response she got from them...liked watching them during the experience...the faces they made, their excitement etc.

Maybe thats a difference between Se and Ne there. Se wanders what the point is... if there is an actual practical use to having this info...a reason for asking. I think she felt by directing attention away from the immediate you were detracting from it's importance. I can understand it a lot better for that conversation.

/ramble

I can't possibily be ESFP then. The way you describe your thirst for the culture it's exactly how I feel and why I prefer travelling on my own.

I xould never enjoy a tourist trip, I need do merge with local people, learn about their traditions and world views, learn their language if possible. That's how I've always felt, since I was about 6 years old, my mom always thought I'd be an anthropologist or something like that.

I don't experience things for sensations, my real pleasure it's to perceive how the process changes me and impacts my convictions about life and the world.

As I said, I wish I could just let go and live for the moment, it seems to be a much simpler kind of existence. But then again I doubt I'd be satisfied with it.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^These two posts are very similar. [MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION] what that paragraph is describing is not Ne, but a practical consequence of Ne, which is the interest/boredom dichotomy. Of course is Ne's goal is to build that bigger puzzle where everything makes sense and is related, if an Ne-dom is walking around and does not find input, then he gets bored because his dominant function is turned off.
Much the same [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] I don't want to speak for you, but I guess yours (or at least my) interest in foreign things is ultimately to enlarge that bigger picture which is your notion of the world (Ne puzzle). You were apparently not aware of this in the beginning and the Se-dom did not understand it.

I didn't read your post before answearing to [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION], but that's just how I feel.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't possibily be ESFP then. The way you describe your thirst for the culture it's exactly how I feel and why I prefer travelling on my own.

I xould never enjoy a tourist trip, I need do merge with local people, learn about their traditions and world views, learn their language if possible. That's how I've always felt, since I was about 6 years old, my mom always thought I'd be an anthropologist or something like that.

I don't experience things for sensations, my real pleasure it's to perceive how the process changes me and impacts my convictions about life and the world.

As I said, I wish I could just let go and live for the moment, it seems to be a much simpler kind of existence. But then again I doubt I'd be satisfied with it.

It's interesting, you strike me as quite a typical ESFP on face value... your op for example did not mention anything that others associated with Ne which is an ENFP's leading function...so i suppose it would be expected to be slooshed all over the place in a painting frenzy. What i saw though was a lot of Se combined with Fi (Fi is secondary function for both types).

There are some ENFP's who are more realists though, i have been speaking with someone about this recently... the more realist idealist ENFP prototype that is.
Also i have noticed a LOT of ENFP's are really into asthetics, several i know irl and on the forum are very much into physical appearence and 'toned bod' looking people. I'm not really sure why this is. There was an interesting stat i saw recently that the most common change over for an mbti ESFP to socionics was to ENFp. I feel there is a link in this.

Personally i am really not into asthetics at all, fashion does not bother me... i do like some clothes over others but it's nothing to do with trends or catwalk seasons etc... it's more what those individual items mean to me or what i feel they represent. For example i used to name items of clothing and wear them in certain moods as i felt they portrayed how i was feeling ... it was crude expression and i was looking for understanding....and others could pick up on that... though often unconventional... like my little house on the prarie dress...(i own't go into it now though).

I'm more into people minds/ideas than their asthetic external physical being.

EDIT: others have wondered if i am ESFP, Irl before speaking with me the most common type guessed (at psychology meet ups for example) is ESTP or ESFP. Infact i have wondered it myself. I do have some ESFP traits, though i do not see much Se. I see more Ne traits...and am more able to translate, via the medium of typology, the functions in a (har har) comprehensible way.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't read your post before answearing to [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION], but that's just how I feel.

you don't have to convince me, i'm happy with whatever you want to be, but it's you who should figure out about your functions and type. have you read about Si?

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is your behavior and thoughts like when you are under stress? What things cause the greatest stress for you?

I wouldn't rule out ENFP yet. You seem to have Si.

I'll post a questionary I made for another forum, I do speak about my behaviour under stress in it.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you don't have to convince me, i'm happy with whatever you want to be, but it's you who should figure out about your functions and type. have you read about Si?

I'm not trying to convince you, I just explained that because I'm having trouble catching up to all the posts since I'm reading them through email, so I'm reading the latest ones first and some of my answers are out of order.

And I'm interested in discovering my real type, whatever that is. Of course I'm the only one who can give a final veredict, but at the moment, I'm not able to do that on my own.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's interesting, you strike me as quite a typical ESFP on face value... your op for example did not mention anything that others associated with Ne which is an ENFP's leading function...so i suppose it would be expected to be slooshed all over the place in a painting frenzy. What i saw though was a lot of Se combined with Fi (Fi is secondary function for both types).

There are some ENFP's who are more realists though, i have been speaking with someone about this recently... the more realist idealist ENFP prototype that is.
Also i have noticed a LOT of ENFP's are really into asthetics, several i know irl and on the forum are very much into physical appearence and 'toned bod' looking people. I'm not really sure why this is. There was an interesting stat i saw recently that the most common change over for an mbti ESFP to socionics was to ENFp. I feel there is a link in this.

Personally i am really not into asthetics at all, fashion does not bother me... i do like some clothes over others but it's nothing to do with trends or catwalk seasons etc... it's more what those individual items mean to me or what i feel they represent. For example i used to name items of clothing and wear them in certain moods as i felt they portrayed how i was feeling ... it was crude expression and i was looking for understanding....and others could pick up on that... though often unconventional... like my little house on the prarie dress...(i own't go into it now though).

I'm more into people minds/ideas than their asthetic external physical being.

Yes, I see there's a consensus that a lot of ENFPs are actually ESFPs. Maybe that's why the ESFPs threads on forums are always empty and the ENFP one overflowing, people are hanging out at the wrong place :huh:

Maybe the asthetic taste is a sensor thing, the group is called "The Artisans" after all.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I see there's a consensus that a lot of ENFPs are actually ESFPs. Maybe that's why the ESFPs threads on forums are always empty and the ENFP one overflowing, people are hanging out at the wrong place :huh:

Maybe the asthetic taste is a sensor thing, the group is called "The Artisans" after all.

Quick question, what decided your choice of avatar? In depth if poss.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, so this is hopefully my last original informational post on this thread. Here goes nothing:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Probably the dichotomy of what I wanna do and what I end up doing. Sometimes I just wanna go for it, but there's always something holding me back. I tend to make really impulsive things like applying for a job I know I'll hate, then I realize my mistake and don't attend the interview. And then I fel guilty and very frustated at myself.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

To be really famous doing what I love to do, to be a real citizen of the world, with many friends and different homes all over the world.

I don't wanna be famous for the sake of being famous, like taking part in a reality show or something like that, I'd feel ashamed of myself. But I really don't think I'd be happy being an annonymous singer too. I also don't see myself ever settling down in one place for more than a couple years. I have a very serious case of wonderlust. I also wanna dive into cultures, learn their languages, become one with them, not only as a tourist.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

When I used to perform dancing every year at the city hall with the rest of my classmates. I'll never forget the feeling just before going on stage. I also felt marvelous when I travelled alone for the first time. I missed no one, feared nothing, I was complete.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When I see people my age or younger who have accomplished all I ever wanted because they can focus on the goal and just do the work needed, even if boring.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

It's basically about whether I feel like doing something or not, which causes me to be seem as irresponsible or unrealistic by several people I know. I can be very pragmatic when something needs to be done, but only when I don't feel pressured or threatened. I gotta have a reason to do something, one of my own regardless if others understand it or not. If they tell to DO something instead, no such luck.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

That would depend. Is it a project I chose to get involved in? If so, I usually have a very clear idea of what I want in my mind, a detailed vision of what it's gonna be like. I'm always open to new ideas, but I only change my mind if I get a fantastic new idea that can be realistically implemented and create the effect I want.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

This saturday I'll be attending a charity tea party, the same one I went to last year. It happens in very small town near where I live, most people attending are in their 60's and up. Last time there was a fashion show where several of the old ladies and gentlemen took part, we all cheered them on and screamed cat calls, it was a lot of fun!!! There's also a gift lottery, really good homemade food, really interesting family dynamics to observe. The local people are hillarious, simple and very real.

I like unpretentious kind of events better, and usually have fun when unplanned things happen,and when we can still laugh at bad times.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I'm the self taught type.
I’ve learned English on my own starting at age 12 driven by my need to understand what my favorite songs said. I also have a habit of checking when I have a theory of my own in regards of what something/someone is about. Can’t tell how many “The Hidden Meaning Behind…” videos I’ve watched on Youtube. I even did my final Literature work in my Translator & Interpreter course was ” The Wizard of Oz Hidden Economic Agenda”. I can't memorize things that don't interest me, it was a nightmare at school.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Hahaha, you must be joking. But really, I don't know? My room is usually a mess, but it does bother me a lot, I just don't have the patience to put things into their rightful places. I spent last Saturday cleaning it up and miraculously, it sill looks really good. Maybe I am changing.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Neither? It it sounds fantastic or at least promissing to me I'll take a moment to see if it's possible to actually do it. I'm usually the one who tells people "Great idea, but what about...?"
If it sounds bad i usually reject it on the spot.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Definitely the second one. Obviously I prefer not having to fight with anybody or deal with interpersonal drama, but the essential is that I'm happy with the direction taken. If not, I'll leave the group. I can't go on if I'm not enjoying it.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

If I need a good opinion a serious matter or need to have a particularly difficult talk, then I will think about what I wanna say beforehand. Otherwise, I'm completely spontaneous and usually chatty. If I say little it's because the subject isn't interesting to me and my mind is elsewhere.

Again, if it's something personal, like talking about feelings or relationships of any kind, one to one. But in general, I like talking to two or three people (or more) at the same time.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

In what kind of situation? I'm really great at emergency times, I've got a childhood and late teenage years full of experience, it comes very naturally to me. YES, action is every thing to me. I value love declarations and compliments, but real loyalty and appreaciation it's only checked when you observe how people treat you.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

They better have an amazing offer to make or I'll pass. My Hägen-dazz is waiting.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

It depends a little on the reason for my stress. Usually I say nothing and deny I have a problem, but it's easy to tell because I get uncharacteristically quiet and unenthusiastic. If I think the situation I'm in it's my fault I withdrawn completely. But if I don't think the blame's on me, it's different. Everything and everyone irritates me, I get extremely impatient with errors and delays. And I sometimes reject solutions offered to me with a "It can't be done", "It won't work" attitude, it's like my mind is stuck in a rut and can't work a way out.

Because I realized I had to change, these days I pretend everything's ok. I smile and provide pleasant responses though I'm actually not listening, while my brain is brainstorming at full speed. It seems to be working, no one notices unless I miss an important bit of conversation.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

FAKE PEOPLE, people trying to control me in any way, people who ask private questions, people who think they're better than others, people who are cocky in any way, people who are too rigid, people who invade my privacy and then don't understand my rage, people who do favors waiting for something in return or just to keep reminding you own them. People who tell me I speak too fast, too much or too loud. People who can't follow my train of thought no matter how simple my vocabulary.

I can’t stand people who need to drawn attention to themselves at all times. I’m allergic to jealous and condescending people, I can’t deal with people who have no opinion of their own and agree with anything others say, even when it’s me; people who overuse vulgar language (I wanna either punch them or leave the room), I absolutely LOATH when someone drops by uninvited and unannounced; when people beat around the bush or babble about, and when they finally get to the point you're like " that's it?"

17)Is there anything you really like when talking to others?

My interests. I'm fairly bad at small talk, so I usually look for people who have the same taste as me in something. I have zero interest in talking about trivial things like cars, which clothes I wanna buy,romantic relationships, paying bills etc.I can (and have many many times) spend the night discussing a record, movie, book or a conspiracy theory, though.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

Necessary things, like house chores and paying the bills.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?

The word people most associate with me is “mysterious”, but I don’t really see it. Everybody seems to trust me and want to follow me. People seem to think I'm a genius everywhere I go and it pisses me off, I'm far from that, I know I'm really smart but still get relatively low scores at IQ tests and I SUCK at math and chem. I think people don't use their brains enough and are impressed by little.

Oh, and everybody tells me I'm a complete different person when I let go, apparently I'm a lot of fun and a bit outrageous.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Singing and dancing. All day long.

But when I got tired, I'd to a movie marathon with lots of food. Probably Harry Potter or Lord of The Rings.
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION]

I did read about Si, I'm writing a post on my impressions.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quick question, what decided your choice of avatar? In depth if poss.

I chose Merida because she's my all time favorite female character. I very rarely see myself on any fictional girl or woman because either our motivations or personality are too different, most of the times I identify with the male characters.

She's all about absolute freedom from any external forces, very impulsive and assertive. I was almost jumping from my seat at most parts of the movie, she's literally me only with much cooler hair. The scene where she rips the tapestry was heartbreaking to watch with my mom, because it was eerliy familiar. I watched Brave for the first time with my mom, and there are no words to describe the impression it left on me. I feel like I waited my whole life for this movie, and for a female character that embodies me.

My mom laughed at loud at the scene where her father mimics her. This line> King Fergus: [shrilly voice] "I don't want to get married, I want to stay single and let my hair flow in the wind as I ride through the glen firing arrows into the sunset." She said that would be exactly how she would explain my character to any guy who wanted to marry me in the future, except the arrows part :D

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, heres some point I found interesting:

"From an Si viewpoint, immediate conditions have no stable meaning. They’re just an influx of data impinging on the senses, and the response to these impressions depends on mood, state of mind, desires and feelings. It’s our commitments and priorities, the facts we hold inalienable that give our circumstances enduring significance. Knowing what matters, what’s worth keeping or building again, gives a sense of continuity and security."

As I said in the questionnaire, my problem in school and jobs is that if something doesn't catch my interest and shows promise than it goes over my head, I can't remember it. My memory is strong but selective. I lose my keys but remember song lyrics, can't math functions but can quote Plato and so on.

I'm very nostalgic though modern, and I sometimes long for how things were before my time.

"Remembering the last time you wore a particular item or the last time you were at a similar event—maybe even remembering how you felt then."

I think I understand it well. I have a bag of clothes in my closet I can't bring myself to ever use again because even though I know it's irrational, I associate them with bad times. I don't think I'll ever get around to tell my mom the real reason, so I say they don't fit me anymore. I can't throw them away either. It's something I should deal with soon.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More on Si:

"Inferior Si actually embeds itself subconsciously in the way people develop a certain familiarity with finding comfort in the unfamiliar: when all parties begin with no information, inferior Si may actually promote a certain comfortable familiarity with "starting from scratch." Being forced to compete in a new, difficult area where substantial real experience is required may throw the person out of her comfort zone as she is forced to intuit how to handle a new situation, but stay ahead of someone who already knows all the answers."

I'm familiar with this, every time I master something and it no longer challenges me, I gotta find something else or I become really restless. I'm a translator and interpreter, but the only languages I'm fluent in are English and Portuguese. I know some Japanese, a bit of French,conversational Korean...

I usually go into things with the intent of mastering it, but it's easy to get sidetracked. I'm more of a jack-of-all trades. I 'll be the one to tell you it's hard to make a living this way.