• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

One more for the road

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
As you might know I have been noticeably undecided about my type. Originally I thought I might have been an INFJ with strong Ti or an INTJ with strong Fi. Finally I settled on ISTP. Now, months later, I am no longer certain that I am an ISTP. So please help me decide my type.

I am open to all questions and will answer them as best I can. Same goes for tests, inventories, etc.

Thank you,

JustDave

Last edited:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I've become hugely skeptical of the whole cognitive function theory.

It may be easier to narrow it down by temperament, which is *far* more intuitive to me.

Here's a good page on it:

Temperament - Complete Version

What temperament do you think you are?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I've become hugely skeptical of the whole cognitive function theory.

It may be easier to narrow it down by temperament, which is *far* more intuitive to me.

Here's a good page on it:

Temperament - Complete Version

What temperament do you think you are?

Good page ... unfortunately I am already familiar with it.

That being said, overall I think that I am an Artisan but there are substantial parts of my personality which are indicative of a Rational temperament. Hence my absurd amount of confusion.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Good page ... unfortunately I am already familiar with it.

That being said, overall I think that I am an Artisan but there are substantial parts of my personality which are indicative of a Rational temperament. Hence my absurd amount of confusion.

Artisan-Rational confusion is immensely common.

It's easy to mistake an Artisan's need for "skillful action" and the desire to "make an impact" with the Rational's core need for "competency" and "self-control."

One of the bigger differences, however, is that Rational's are characteristically *much* more self-critical, and are always aware of what they don't know, and are driven to know more about it. Artisans need to be good at what they do, but they're generally more optimistic about their skills and state of knowledge.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Artisan-Rational confusion is immensely common.

It's easy to mistake an Artisan's need for "skillful action" and the desire to "make an impact" with the Rational's core need for "competency" and "self-control."

One of the bigger differences, however, is that Rational's are characteristically *much* more self-critical, and are always aware of what they don't know, and are driven to know more about it. Artisans need to be good at what they do, but they're generally more optimistic about their skills and state of knowledge.

Overall are rationals adventurous? I'm teetering on the INTP/ISTP fence and think this could be one of the deciding factors.

Last edited:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Overall are rationals adventurous? I'm teetering on the INTP/ISTP fence and think this could be one of the deciding factors.

Focus on your auxiliary function. Se or Ne? Action oriented or possibility oriented (so to speak)? Do you like physical activities. I have noticed that (at least some) ISTP's enjoy them. INTP's tend to enjoy more mental challenges.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Focus on your auxiliary function. Se or Ne? Action oriented or possibility oriented (so to speak)? Do you like physical activities. I have noticed that (at least some) ISTP's enjoy them. INTP's tend to enjoy more mental challenges.

I honestly don't know. Sometimes I like to sit around and think about the future yet other times I'd rather do something physical. I suppose I like a balance of the two.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Interesting development. I just took an MBTI inventory that I never took before (Free Myers-Briggs Personality Type) and my result was ISTJ.
And, after reading the websites descriptions of Te and Si, I think that I might be an ISTJ.

wolfy

awsm
Interesting development. I just took an MBTI inventory that I never took before (Free Myers-Briggs Personality Type) and my result was ISTJ.
And, after reading the websites descriptions of Te and Si, I think that I might be an ISTJ.

I found this site MBTI Proximity Chart at MROB helped me heaps in deciding on my type. I noticed I would sometimes type around my true type.
As you'll see ISTJ and INTP sit above and to the left of ISTP. Also look at the opposite type two squares away in a diagonal direction.

Hope this helps.

alicia91

I've had a really hard time finding my type also. I think it's because I have a lot of N, even though I'm more S. I'm also close to center on a a couple of others. When you are this close then I think it's harder to figure out the cognitive processes because they will not fit quite as obviously.

Why not look more closely at some of Beren's information? I ordered a few of the booklets and I think it's really helping me with the finer nuances between the types.

Do you know your interaction style?

Interaction Styles

Read this:

ISTP - INTP/INTJ

Also this one: (talks about SPs and patterns, big picture and 'possibilies' - all which are usually associated with Rationals)

Invalid URL

*link works for me

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
The "behind the scenes" style seems like the best fit as I hate telling people what to do but I am a perfectionist that can be very patient when working on something important.

Thanks for the links.

alicia91

Could you narrow it down to which of the behind-the-scenes types fits you? It corresponds with INFP, ISFJ, INTP & ISFP.

I don't like telling people what to do either, but I'm a perfectionist and can be quite direct - but I'm definately Chart-the-Course (like to know what I'm getting into and have a path to get there).

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Right. Sorry about that. INTP seems like the best fit, but there are certain aspects of that type that might not fit.

For example, I am relatively adventurous and very mechanically inclined.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
BTW, there are several solid reasons why I question my "ISTPness" including:

- Perhaps I am being a bit cavalier, but I would go as far to say that I am the perfect adviser as I never force anyone to follow my advice, information, etc. and always try to present the facts as objectively as possible. Ultimately I let those around and want those around me to make their own decisions.

- A history of poor follow through. This joke (Lifexplore - Personality, Myers-Briggs, Enneagram, Tests, Type Descriptions, More) resonated very deeply with me:

INTP "The Flake": Will play with toys, but bored quickly. If you give in, you'll quickly have a closet full of cat toys he won't touch any more. He'll sit, apparently doing nothing, and then be off on a tear. When walking across a room, will suddenly sit down and start grooming himself.

- I take immense pride in the fact that when necessary I can take a broader perspective in which I am not the center of the universe (s).

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
One more reason, which just occurred to me: my concentration is phenomenal. When I am focused on something I unconsciously tune out my environment. Some much so that my family and coworkers have often insisted that I was ignoring them when in fact I simply never heard them calling me.

alicia91

Not suggesting you are NOT INTP Dave, but none of those reasons listed rule out ISTP. All are listed in Berens materials as fitting ISTPs - not sure if they also fit INTP (since I have only had the materials for a few days and haven't read up on everything). Ignore me if you've already come to a conclusion.

Would you say you are more Informing (INTP) or Directing (ISTP)?

"We are out of milk versus "Please buy some milk"

What about language? Are you more inclined to use concret pramatic languare or do you speak in a more abstract manner?

Other good info from Berens:

Sources of Confusion
Several descriptors used for iNtuiting misled these individuals to self-report on the MBTI® or self-select a preference for "N."
Big Picture - Many Artisans-SPs are interested in the big picture. They say they want all the detail, the whole story. One ESFP selected "spire" over "foundation," saying he saw himself on top of the spire seeing the whole picture.

Pattern - Likewise, most of these Artisans-SPs also indicate they look for patterns. Looking for patterns is different than perceiving the pattern first. The differentiating point is the starting place, not the ending place.

Extraverted Sensing and extraverted iNtuiting are holistic, analogic perceptual modes. In extraverted Sensing, the individual elements, like the trees in the forest, are seen in rich detail, all at once. Thus concrete patterns are quite likely to be perceived along with the discrete sensory information. This pattern is different from the abstract extraverted iNtuiting perception of the relationships and connections of the trees to the rest of the environment. Both pattern and big picture can be on a continuum from concrete to abstract.

Possibilities - These Artisans-SPs frequently respond to "possibilities" as an accurate descriptor. When we probed deeper, they described seeking opportunities for action, usually what to do next and what will work to solve a problem. They like brainstorming and coming up with variations on a theme, until the process goes on and on and on and gets too far away from reality. Those who prefer extraverted iNtuiting are increasingly excited by the ideas sparked in the process regardless of how far abstracted from reality. Both extraverted iNtuiting and extraverted Sensing focus in the here and now and on possibilities and opportunities. The differentiating factor is abstraction or concreteness.

Hypotheses
Type Pattern vs. Mental Process - To understand extraverted Sensing, we consult those who have S and P in their four letter code, asking them what they would do, listening to their words and observing their behaviors. We frequently fail to remember that in the _S_P type pattern (hierarchy of functions), there is also iNtuiting. For example, someone with ESTP as preferences, also has introverted iNtuiting. Even though it is in fourth place, it is there. Those with ISTP have introverted iNtuiting as tertiary (following Grant's model) and as adults, probably have had much opportunity to develop and use it. The functions do not operate in isolation, but in dynamic interaction. Could it be what looks like extraverted iNtuiting is really extraverted Sensing, with an introverted iNtuiting perception of the near future? Could this be the attraction to "big picture," "pattern" and "possibilities"?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Not suggesting you are NOT INTP Dave, but none of those reasons listed rule out ISTP. All are listed in Berens materials as fitting ISTPs - not sure if they also fit INTP (since I have only had the materials for a few days and haven't read up on everything). Ignore me if you've already come to a conclusion.

Would you say you are more Informing (INTP) or Directing (ISTP)?

"We are out of milk versus "Please buy some milk"

What about language? Are you more inclined to use concret pramatic languare or do you speak in a more abstract manner?

Other good info from Berens:

Sources of Confusion
Several descriptors used for iNtuiting misled these individuals to self-report on the MBTI

Last edited:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
ENFP.

The answer hit me in a flash of insight as I was driving home from work today. The culmination of everything I've read and pondered during the last sixth months came together in one insightful crescendo.

For those that are interested here's what I realized:

- I am very adventurous and love new people, place, things and possibilities.

- Although assertive with a capital a I also am benevolent.

- When I was younger I was very outgoing and constantly conjured up crazy ideas that my father (probably an NT) thought were illogical or impractial.

- Naturally horrible at math and pure (textbook) logic. Since I find these things interesting I've made a concerted effort to improve myself in these areas and thus and fairly skilled in math and pure logic (deductive reasoning). But, it's not natural for me.

- I have always taken pride in being able to see "the big picture".

- A times, I am a bit "flaky". Although I constantly create lists and try to adhere to a schedule, for the most part I let inspiration, not logic set my priorities.

- For some reason, which is well beyond my comprehension I get along with everyone I meet.

- From what I gather, the fact that I actually care very much about self development and uncovering my true personality type is a strong indicator of an Idealist temperament.

Last edited:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sorry to lose ya from Team SP, Dave. But you will always have a place in our hearts. :cry:

;)