• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another Person Confused About Type

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
As it relates to MBTI theory, would you call this a "thinker's" process or cognition itself? Because if this is only specific to the thinking process (Ti/Te) then all feelers must also be thinkers. However, in no definition of thinking do I see any indication that a thinker must also be a feeler to some degree. Jung's definition of thinking explicitly precludes this.

Or am I misunderstanding what feeling (Fi/Fe) is (because that is highly possible)?

I think that, insofar as he divorced feeling from thinking, Jung was wrong. I don't think you can separate feeling from thinking. What you feel primarily depends on what you think. (Physiology has some influence, but even poor dopamine production and re-uptake can be overcome by thoughtful conviction.)

I would call it cognition itself.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Nothing of public importance, I was just expressing my sexist urge to put men in their proper, i.e. inferior place.

Lol!

So you assume we are all men?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
So you assume we are all men?

No, I sensed that you were a female, are you?

Edit: And my sexist angst was more directed towards Night and Owl, lol, to Nightowl, (har-har, I's stewpid).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think that, insofar as he divorced feeling from thinking, Jung was wrong. I don't think you can separate feeling from thinking. What you feel primarily depends on what you think. (Physiology has some influence, but even poor dopamine production and re-uptake can be overcome by thoughtful conviction.)

Well this does make more sense, but then wouldn't that basically undo the very foundation of MBTI? We would have to make distinctions as to the degree to which we use either function, and I imagine that it would all boil down to context/situation, if we could even properly distinguish between the two at all for long enough to determine that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No, I sensed that you were a female, are you?

Sure you did :rolli:

Kidding...but yes, you are correct, I am female.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

Nicely said.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Orangey?!?!?!

C'mon now, that username is a dead give away about your sex.

Darn...I knew I should have stuck with "Motherscratcher".

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Quiet, you.

:)
I believe that Night is a deep enough person to understand that depth is a relative term and, so hence realizes, that compared to others and depending on who's asking, he is rather shallow!

;)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I've ever been shallow.

It's always just a matter of approximate depth.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Now that's something we can definitely agree on!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Grrr...if logic *is* basic cognition, then feeling is a part of logic. And if feeling is a part of logic, then there can be no distinction between feeling and thinking (insofar as we define thinking as reasoning). If thinking is reasoning, then thinking is cognition, and it must also include feeling. So feeling is thinking!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
And if feeling is a part of logic, then there can be no distinction between feeling and thinking (insofar as we define thinking as reasoning).

Wait no- let's try this again.

For all cognizant persons:

Every person is cognizant, therefore every person reasons, because cognition is defined by the presence of a basic reasoning faculty (definition agreed upon earlier in the thread).

If we define the thinking process as the ability to reason logically, then everybody who is cognizant is a thinker. If we define the feeling process as something beside thinking, and thinking is cognition, then feeling is not part of cognition. Therefore feeling is an aberration, and one need not feel in order to think.