• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another Person Confused About Type

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Grrr...if logic *is* basic cognition, then feeling is a part of logic. And if feeling is a part of logic, then there can be no distinction between feeling and thinking (insofar as we define thinking as reasoning). If thinking is reasoning, then thinking is cognition, and it must also include feeling. So feeling is thinking!

Feeling and Thinking are often considered to be two sides of the same coin- you have both cognitive functions but there is one you subconsciously prefer over the other. This is a long thread now (meaning I haven't read the whole thing) but have you studied the differences between Introverted Thinking and Introverted Feeling?

A misconception is that NF's don't value logic- they do- especially intelligent ones.
Some really smart people I know are *gasp* SF's!!

P.S: This doesn't really mean much but from reading your first post, I'm thinking INTP over INFP.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Thanks for responding!

Feeling and Thinking are often considered to be two sides of the same coin- you have both cognitive functions but there is one you subconsciously prefer over the other.

Yes, but if the thinking functions are defined as being *the* reasoning faculties, then individuals who have a preference for feeling are at a natural disadvantage when doing logical reasoning because this is not their subconsciously preferred function. Of course, one could argue that preference does not indicate capability, but if this is the case then I don't see how anyone could ever determine their type (for if we don't measure preference on ability level or outward behavior, then what is it that we are using as a determinant?)

It has not been my experience that NF's (or SF's for that matter) are any less capable of using reasoning. Nor do I think it has been yours.

A misconception is that NF's don't value logic- they do- especially intelligent ones.

This leads me to believe that either 1) feeling and thinking functions do not operate discreetly from one another, and it is therefore impossible to determine where one ends and the other begins, undermining the basis for the dichotomy, or 2) the reasoning faculty is not linked to the thinking functions, and is something more basic to cognition that is present to an equal degree in all individuals, therefore making the T/F distinction irrelevant to the issue of how capable one is of reasoning logically.

Or it is true that thinking dominant types are more naturally capable at reasoning, and that if a feeling type wanted to develop this side of their cognition, they would have to ultimately work harder at it because they are at a natural disadvantage.

All of this applies the other way with thinking dominant types and the feeling function as well.

I think what I'm having a problem with is the definition of the terms, and the ones all over the internet seem to only compound the problem. I think I'm going to get another MBTI book since the terms seem to have different meanings from the original Jung ones.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Something about the Judging Processes Ti & Fi from Dynamics of Personality Types (L.V.Barens):

Ti:
-Principles
-Categorizing and Classifying
-Analyzing
-Checking consistency
-Universal

Fi
-Values
-Harmonizing and Clarifying
-Reconciling
-Checking Congruency
-Universal