• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you help me find out which one I am?

dani

I've taken bunches of quizzes for the MBTI but I still am not sure which one best fits me. It's rather frustrating and I thought maybe someone online could help me, that's how I found the site so here I am!
So here I go on about my personality and hope someone can explain the t,f-j,p stuff

I’m an introvert: that much I do know. The fact that I’m writing a personality assessment of myself proves that. I spend most of my time alone. I fear unfamiliar social situations and even when I’m with people I know well it’s hard for me to open up completely. I tend to let other people “drive”. I’m always the last person walking in the group. I love watching people (I enjoy picking out the nuances of people, their facial features, mannerisms and voice; their unique traits) but I hate being watched. When I need something it’s very hard for me to speak up and tell someone.
I try to see things as objectively and unbiased as possible. What scares me the most is delusion, and through my interest in perception I am very aware at how faulty the human brain is; how we see things the way that we want them to be, and not how they are.
I frequently get overwhelmed by information. I find it hard to decide what’s relevant and what isn’t. When my room is messy, my brain is messy and I freak out. If I’m not organized I can barely function because I see things so close up, (it’s almost like a glaring blindness) and in order to get the big picture I need to tidy everything up first. Unfortunately I procrastinate and have these cycles of cleaning everything up then letting it pile up again slowly. Also I’m all or nothing when it comes to a lot of things: if I can’t do it all, I end up doing nothing.
How I decide (thinking, feeling).
Objectivity is the most important thing. I need every detail to understand the situation first, and that sometimes irritates people. But I think I am good at mediating between people and seeing both sides of the story. Sometimes I know a side is wrong with the logical part of my brain and with the other part still feel quite comfortable seeing it from their viewpoint. I say it like this: “I like ___ very much but I can see why someone else wouldn’t like it”.
I think I'm pretty logical but definitely not "cold and unemotional". I just get stuck in details too often.

So, I hope I don't look like a total idiot for writing all of that and I hope someone can help me! Thanks for reading!

S

Society

I love watching people (I enjoy picking out the nuances of people, their facial features, mannerisms and voice; their unique traits) but I hate being watched.
picking up on social nuance, facial expressions and mannerism -> well developed extroverted feelings.

I frequently get overwhelmed by information. I find it hard to decide what’s relevant and what isn’t. When my room is messy, my brain is messy and I freak out. If I’m not organized I can barely function because I see things so close up, (it’s almost like a glaring blindness) and in order to get the big picture I need to tidy everything up first. Unfortunately I procrastinate and have these cycles of cleaning everything up then letting it pile up again slowly. Also I’m all or nothing when it comes to a lot of things: if I can’t do it all, I end up doing nothing.
the need for clear cut coherent information within your environment and life: judger.

Objectivity is the most important thing. I need every detail to understand the situation first, and that sometimes irritates people. But I think I am good at mediating between people and seeing both sides of the story. Sometimes I know a side is wrong with the logical part of my brain and with the other part still feel quite comfortable seeing it from their viewpoint. I say it like this: “I like ___ very much but I can see why someone else wouldn’t like it”. I think I'm pretty logical but definitely not "cold and unemotional". I just get stuck in details too often.

getting stuck on details and fact checking -> underdeveloped introverted thinking looping throughout your internal collection of details introverted sensing.

dani

Wow, thanks. After reading about the ISFJ, I think that is the most accurate one for me. Before I went to preschool I was picked to be in the class with disabled kids because I was so good with them. Thanks for your help!

S

Society

Uhh... what?

oh, from what you described, it seems to me like your introverted sensing (Si) is sort of a collection of everything you know, all the little details you've gathered. your introverted thinking (Ti) is trying to check them for consistency, make sure they are all accurate, putting them together.

if you are an ISFJ then you have Si > Fe > Ti > Ne (sorry for the jargon - you'll get used to it)
so your sensory (detail collecting, Si) function is more developed than your thinking function (logical consistency, Ti), your logic is trying to catch up to all the details.

in MBTI typology everyone has that kind of internal hirarchy, in contrast i have the exact opposite functions: Ne > Ti > Fe > Si, so you can see my my detail-collecting ability (Si) is last, practically so under developed it might as well need special ad.

anyway - just my 2 cents. welcome to the community. this forum probably needs a special ad class in itself, if you are looking to start a kinder garden for adults, this might be the perfect place :D

dani

Interesting. I'm going to have to read up on those things some more.
And I went through all the types again and now I'm pretty sure that I am an ISFJ. It's weird, though, because even though I relate to almost all the things on the profile websites about them, I realized that I really don't want to be an ISFJ (at least how they're described). They don't like change, don't do anything exciting, they tend to stay in abusive relationships, they blindly follow whoever it is ordering them around, they don't do anything important, people walk all over them. The careers listed (homemaker, librarian, secretary, accountant, middle management) all seem dull and not very important.
Reading those profiles was like a death sentence. I'll never get over my fears, I'll never do anything new or exciting, and if I do I'd be going against my "type".
Probably reading too much into this, but the point is, I feel like I might be exactly the kind of person that I hate. Does that even make sense?

ttanzkel

MBTI Type
FART
Enneagram
E10
And I went through all the types again and now I'm pretty sure that I am an ISFJ. It's weird, though, because even though I relate to almost all the things on the profile websites about them, I realized that I really don't want to be an ISFJ (at least how they're described). They don't like change, don't do anything exciting, they tend to stay in abusive relationships, they blindly follow whoever it is ordering them around, they don't do anything important, people walk all over them. The careers listed (homemaker, librarian, secretary, accountant, middle management) all seem dull and not very important.
Reading those profiles was like a death sentence. I'll never get over my fears, I'll never do anything new or exciting, and if I do I'd be going against my "type".
Probably reading too much into this, but the point is, I feel like I might be exactly the kind of person that I hate. Does that even make sense?

don't believe those things. they're just stereotypes. you can be anything you want. plus, not all of them are accurate. you're unique. the purpose of learning about your type is not to put you into a box, but to get out of it. your type isn't your "end" or "death sentence" , it's your beginning to improve as a person. :) and i agree with ISFJ.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Honestly this is one of the reasons for my disillusionment, (although I didn't have too much illusion to begin with), concerning this theory. It has the potential to cause unnecessary stress and damage because of the amount of dissonance it can induce.

Not to mention the nature of most online descriptions, which are heavily biased, especially in favour of intuition. Although that is a subject I could spend pages on, so I wont go into detail, besides I think most people are a bit sick of the 'woe is me i'm a poor intuitive in a sensor's world or woe is me i'm a stereotyped sensor being pressured by arrogant intuitives'.

However people do try to reassure with the notion that you are uniquely yourself even within the guideline of typological catagorisation. Which is contradictory to begin with.
Some may look at this and assess that I am merely airing a personal grievance due to the disillusionment mentioned earlier; they could be right to an extent, but I am also worried by quotes like the above and I have seen plenty of evidence of such concerns before.

Of course I don't want to discourage people too much, if the theory helps...then use it. Just don't believe it.

What I mean by that is MBTI is just another construct of human understanding, a methodology built on certain premises, with a view to organising and more readily understanding one another. However it was created by humans and as such it is not infallible.

So keep a keen eye out....

S

Society

the thing is, much of those descriptions came from the 70's by people who were thinking about SJs from the 50s. in contrast, if you grew into modern progressive ideals, thats going to be your heritage - your Si.

regarding the career hints.. meh. i wouldn't put much credit in that at all tbh: companies using MBTI to try and predict employee performance have failed miserably.

dani

What I mean by that is MBTI is just another construct of human understanding, a methodology built on certain premises, with a view to organising and more readily understanding one another. However it was created by humans and as such it is not infallible.

I'm beginning to see that, after all it isn't the most... scientific theory.

S

Society

I'm beginning to see that, after all it isn't the most... scientific theory.

oh, no, it's not even accepted by the scientific community (mostly due to inconsistent test results).

W

WALMART

:burns:

I wouldn't listen to much of what people have to say about ISFJ's. It's incredibly to difficult to portray their qualities in an exciting or positive manner, in relation to what's "hip" for people to be.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
the thing is, much of those descriptions came from the 70's by people who were thinking about SJs from the 50s. in contrast, if you grew into modern progressive ideals, thats going to be your heritage - your Si.

regarding the career hints.. meh. i wouldn't put much credit in that at all tbh: companies using MBTI to try and predict employee performance have failed miserably.

But Mane that STILL comes across as something that would bother an individual. After all it's basically saying "you have no will...you are Si and Si IS YOUR ENVIRONMENT you are progressive, but only because the times dictate it to be so".

And while that should ring true for all people and all types, with the Si dom descriptions, (in fact most SJ descriptions), it is practically put across as the defining motif.

This means a person is going to get a big ole nasty cognitive dissonance between an idea of free will and an idea of being formed entirely by your sensate environment. Obviously determinism can do the same with regards to ideas of free will, but the point is that a person is allowed to take their time with such ideas.

You have to be psychologically prepared to deal with them, otherwise it will just cause more hurt than it solves. But it helps if the theory doesn't contradict and cause this in the first place.

S

Society

You have to be psychologically prepared to deal with them, otherwise it will just cause more hurt than it solves. But it helps if the theory doesn't contradict and cause this in the first place.

wouldn't any theory that tries explaining why you do the things you do is going to take a few chips off of the idea that you simply do them because you chose to?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
wouldn't any theory that tries explaining why you do the things you do is going to take a few chips off of the idea that you simply do them because you chose to?

Of course, but it's about the method that the theory uses to explain this. I'll admit that some of the consideration in my argument is of how people feel rather than one of logic, but for an example determinism has a logical consistency to it that follows an understandable reasoning pattern.

If I arrive at the thought that I am hungry and need to eat, my body first knew it was hungry and induced in me the longing for food then I cogitate it as an active thought, but before it even arrived at the point of conscious thought, the brain itself was aware of the idea because of the bodies signals so it was already determined for me before I realised it. Then stretching this out from each knock-on effect in a causal web I could hypothetically say I was always going to eat at this particular time because of each step that preceded it.

That has a logical consistency to it that shows sound reasoning, it is quite believable.

MBTI on the other hand merely goes: Here is a slightly vague interpretation of a singular man's theory based on the personal, heuristic evidence of his life. The people who created MBTI claim that the patterns create the types, but through persona and over-identification the types also very often create the pattern.

These patterns in human cogitation, MBTI attempts to catagorise them, but the variables are so small and numerous that it very often falls down on some previously unforseen angle, not yet considered. But wait....cogitation is not visible and since our only evidence is observed evidence let's use behaviour, but wait again...behaviour can be the result of any number of why's from the mind and still two people otherwise cogitating differently can perform the same behaviour.

Oh also by the way here are some descriptive processes of the mind that are designed to describe the reasoning behind the perception/conclusion, unfortunately because they were created contextually to try and cover those variables mentioned earlier they in fact fall down in exactly the same way and any number of functions could apply to a singular context, because in creating the functions you have...perhaps in a bit of a loop, created more variables.

Also there is a specific order for these functions for each type. But sometimes that specific order does not work by definition, so let us create a new idea to supercede that one. Now functions, (apart from the top we're keeping that one), can come in different orders so many different combinations turn up, but wait no how about this: they stay the same, but people often use the third one to jump past the second to avoid examining themselves.....but wait...hold on let us return to the first notion because it fits certain areas of the brain....but wait....blah de blah.

Never mind that, let us all just agree on singular definitions for everything, because if we don't it's going to become noisy nonsense that can be interpreted in any number of different ways. But us agreeing doesn't prove anything, because that is just us assuming something is true by consensus, it doesn't stand up on it's own internal consistency.

And so on...

The point being, the model for determinism works somewhat, (albeit not entirely), as an explanation for lack of free will. Although it is still hotly debated.

MBTI doesn't work at all in this respect, the more you examine it, the more it falls apart at the seams. Despite it being a theory with some good ideas and some heuristic evidence that holds up fairly well, it will drift apart when a person does not appear completely in the framework.

S

Society

so many places to go from here.

on a side note:
Also there is a specific order for these functions for each type. But sometimes that specific order does not work by definition, so let us create a new idea to supercede that one. Now functions, (apart from the top we're keeping that one), can come in different orders so many different combinations turn up, but wait no how about this: they stay the same, but people often use the third one to jump past the second to avoid examining themselves.....but wait...hold on let us return to the first notion because it fits certain areas of the brain....but wait....blah de blah.
that seems incredibly specific... you do realize i don't actually know, right? i mean, i've being into MBTI for like... what? a year? some of the people here have being into it for decades. i experiment and play with the concepts, sometimes defining them sometimes stretching them, to get a rough idea of the potential, to get people to argue back and forth and even argue with me and against me in order to see good arguments & various points in all directions.

as for the general ramble: you are right, the current state of MBTI is nothing but a patch up work inspired by early century psychoanalysis, which wasn't scientific at all. there are bandages & patches for exceptions, leeways & disclaimers for when it doesn't hold ground, it's sort of like the "god works in mysterious ways" sort of disclaimer. it's a terminology bubble, and you never quite know where the reflection ends and the air behind it begans.

but it has potential, because despite the fact there are many things it doesn't identify, there are certain things that it does - successfully defined traits some people seem to follow. as far as we know it might not be typology at all, it might be conditions, just like how you have hyperfocus and ADHD... but there is something there. right now it's not really a theory, it's not even a complete hypothesis, but it has potential. all the different iterations you see people are having with it? taking it in different directions? disagreeing completely on what those words mean? that's actually a good thing, because the more people do it the higher the chance they'll come up with something that works, and we use each other's experiences with it for peer review. it's lame, unbudgeted, but there is potential.

ttanzkel

MBTI Type
FART
Enneagram
E10

i agree with this. most SJ descriptions i read don't really seem to fit SJs i know. i noticed that these descriptions fit adult SJs more than young people nowadays, and still not that accurate.