• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is There Anybody On Here Typed Correctly?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's no excuse for this mistake. Introversion and extroversion are the hardest to judge because there are gradations between them. P and J are one of the easiest. The problem here must be JCF, because it doesn't type directly for P or J. They are arrived at indirectly through determining function relationships.
So for example an Ni Dominant must be a J type, assuming the dominant is correct. And that's a big assumption to weigh the last letter on.

Here's why P and J aren't easy for some people though. I have seen for example some people stereotype ISFPs as very easy going, completely unobtrusive people...but um, Jung actually said it's the Si type who is this, a person who can even be taken advantage of because of his or her unobtrusive inner world...and then they are sometimes repelled when the Si type suddenly acts with Fe or Te to "make the too high a little lower, the too low a little higher"...it talks about the Si dom being abused. This would be ISFJs, then. Jung also said the Si type made great artists.

Most people call that ISFJ. Except in Socionics. Socionics is the theory that calls this Si dom the ISFp....except most people here aren't going by Socionics, so I'm baffled by it. Especially since in Socionics Si has so much to do with comfort and health.

I am very P. I am a big huge P, on most tests I score P the highest letter, and my life is very much evidence to this Pe perception. But because of my sometimes rigid Fi judgments some people think I seem J. And it's kind of like, NO, you see me as "J like" when I make rigid Fi or Te judgments because I'm seeming then more TJ-like, not FJ-like.

I remember Simulated World trying to explain this to somebody, that FJs look more outwardly rigid, but that FPs are actually more inwardly rigid because of Fi, despite their external flexy-ness.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used my understanding of MBTI functions compared with my actual behavior to justify my Fi aux. that has little to do with functions and much to do with having an understanding of Jung coupled with self awareness :)

It's your personal understanding of Jung, however. And as far as JCF is concerned, Fi could just as well be your tertiary type. (?) It's hard to say when using a theory in which anything can be justified because it can be manipulated so many different ways regarding the evidence (e.g., your actual behavior).

JCF is the indirect route to determining type. Start with determining your levels of P and J in the traditional MBTI.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's your personal understanding of Jung, however. And as far as JCF is concerned, Fi could just as well be your tertiary type. (?) It's hard to say when using a theory in which anything can be justified because it can be manipulated so many different ways regarding the evidence (e.g., your actual behavior).
JCF is the indirect route to determining type. Start with determining your levels of P and J in the traditional MBTI.

I already know my type lol

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I already know my type lol

Yet the Perceptive P comes from your assumption that an Ne-dom has P as the last letter. This has never been proven directly.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne and Ji and like having a multiple-choice question. Few possibilities, which one is true for you [either logically(Ti) or emotionally(Fi)]

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@Mane I know my enneagram is wrong (I'm just too lazy to change it- that and I don't really "get" enneagram as well as I do MBTI so I'm not sure about the wings and whatevers) but I'm curious to know what you think I am instead of a 4. Which I'm pretty sure I'm not, now.

6 Six siX SIX 6 6 SiX sIX

Errrrm, dunno, maybe consider 6, or something....

:shrug:

I'm not sure what type "anger" is.

8-9-1 =p

S

Society

I've seen a bit of P/J mistyping, mostly as INFP mistyping as INFJ and INTP mistyping as INTJ.

hrm, i think i've seen 3 of the former in my time here, but i don't think i've ever seen INTP/INTJ mistypings. do you remember their retyping discussions? i'd like to have a look.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
they are almost always along the same lines:

S mistyping as N
F males mistyping as T
T females mistyping as F
EN mistyping as IN
IS mistyping as ES

by far P/J mistypings seem to be the rarest... and yet I/E is the only one accepted by behavioral psychology, "cause of test consistency"... how the fuck did that happen? go figure.

True, good points! And certain Enneatypes can create confusion, too. 1 looks like J, 2 looks like FJ, 3 looks like Fe or T, 4 looks like FP, 5 looks like TP, 6 looks like SJ, 7 looks like ExxP, 8 looks like ExxJ, and 9 looks like IxxP...

i don't think i've ever seen INTP/INTJ mistypings. do you remember their retyping discussions?

They occur with some frequency with new, young (teen) INTP members in particular - maybe check the Type Me section. I think there's a tendency with some young INTPs to idealize the INTJ descriptions.

There's definitely a tendency with ENFPs to misunderstand cognitive extraversion and assess their social extraversion, and wind up misidentifying as INFP as a result.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yet the Perceptive P comes from your assumption that an Ne-dom has P as the last letter. This has never been proven directly.

Neither has anything anyone has ever said on typology ever. With the exception of I and E.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They occur with some frequency with new, young (teen) INTP members in particular - maybe check the Type Me section. I think there's a tendency with some young INTPs to idealize the INTJ descriptions.

Darn it, this is the 2nd time you have made me look like a complete Typology ignoramous (well at least ISTP has also been a big part of that mix... with some ENTP on the side)! I'm forever cursed to be singled out as the prime mistyped member of this forum. [MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] is up there too as well (considering pretty much every F type in existence), so takes some pressure off of me.

S

Society

True, good points! And certain Enneatypes can create confusion, too. 1 looks like J, 2 looks like FJ, 3 looks like Fe or T, 4 looks like FP, 5 looks like TP, 6 looks like SJ, 7 looks like ExxP, 8 looks like ExxJ, and 9 looks like IxxP...

that whole thing reaches down to the core of typology.

once you encounter questions like this:
is someone an so-first instinctual stacking or Fe?
is someone energetic because they are 7 or because they are e?
is someone analytical because they are TP or because they are 5?
etc..

you have to ask what typology is:

if its semantics - behavioral descriptions - then 7 is just describing a type of extrovert, 5 is just describing a type of TP, and so on, so instead of "this or this", it would always be "this and this" - they are describing overlapping traits.

if it's mechanisms - naming internal processes - then there is real room to argue what behavior comes from where, and there is room for internal inconsistencies and people having one but not the other.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hrm, i think i've seen 3 of the former in my time here, but i don't think i've ever seen INTP/INTJ mistypings. do you remember their retyping discussions? i'd like to have a look.

Sorry, I don't recall the specifics as I tend to more easily recall the overall pattern.

I do know that I formerly mistyped myself as INTJ, well before I joined this forum. :doh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's no excuse for this mistake. Introversion and extroversion are the hardest to judge because there are gradations between them. P and J are one of the easiest. The problem here must be JCF, because it doesn't type directly for P or J. They are arrived at indirectly through determining function relationships.
So for example an Ni Dominant must be a J type, assuming the dominant is correct. And that's a big assumption to weigh the last letter on.

Not everyone types via cognitive functions even if they should. :D

Some do it solely by looking at the four dichotomies and reading their descriptions. Am I more E or I? More S or N? More T or F? More J or P?
A P could mistake themselves for a J if they read the J description and find themselves identifying with quite a few of the traits. I think IxxP is more prone than ExxP because in IxxP you have a dominant judging function that's introverted. You look P to others because your auxilary is extraverted but internally, your dominant is rigid regarding its agenda. Think about the INTP who is rigid about certain logical principles or the INFP who is rigid about certain ethical standards. One could easily mistake this rigidity for being an MBTI J type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not everyone types via cognitive functions even if they should. :D

Some do it solely by looking at the four dichotomies and reading their descriptions. Am I more E or I? More S or N? More T or F? More J or P?
A P could mistake themselves for a J if they read the J description and find themselves identifying with quite a few of the traits. I think IxxP is more prone than ExxP because in IxxP you have a dominant judging function that's introverted. You look P to others because your auxilary is extraverted but internally, your dominant is rigid regarding its agenda. Think about the INTP who is rigid about certain logical principles or the INFP who is rigid about certain ethical standards. One could easily mistake this rigidity for being an MBTI J type.

In other words, my internal world is orderly and precise, my external world is more fluctuating and random.

I can't control that which is out there, I can only control this in here (in my head). The goal of the latter is emotional self-restraint. The INFP is similarly self-restrained through a different method: internal ethical judgment.

The P and J in the MBTI are based on your ideas about controlling the external world. This is easily seen in how you order your lifestyle and plan for your future. It can also be seen in one's choice of words.

S

Society

Sorry, I don't recall the specifics as I tend to more easily recall the overall pattern.

I do know that I formerly mistyped myself as INTJ, well before I joined this forum. :doh:

its ok - before i was introduced to MBTI, i did the keirsey thing - did it on different times along about a year, and came out as all NPs: ENFP -> ENTP -> INFP -> INTP (and i still want to be an ESTP, god damn it!)...

i didn't yet know of functions or read much beyond the please understand me website, but i got that it was deeply flawed in it's assumptions and started working out a theory to replace it, working on the dimensions as spectrums and thinking how one could build bridges to change their type, but then the theory became a possible magic system for an hypothetical action-adventure RPG where your powers would be dependent on where you are in that spectrum, and then there was a better system, and than it was an MMO and there was a team and there was the question of realistic network support and budget, and then there was no investors and i owed the bank a lot of money and ended up doing sales for 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a year... what were we talking about?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
its ok - before i was introduced to MBTI, i did the keirsey thing - did it on different times along about a year, and came out as all NPs: ENFP -> ENTP -> INFP -> INTP (and i still want to be an ESTP, god damn it!)...

That's why Keirsey is only good for determining your temperament style. And you nailed it!

I didn't yet know of functions or read much beyond the please understand me website, but i got that it was deeply flawed in it's assumptions and started working out a theory to replace it, working on the dimensions as spectrums and thinking how one could build bridges to change their type, but then the theory became a possible magic system for an hypothetical action-adventure RPG where your powers would be dependent on where you are in that spectrum, and then there was a better system, and than it was an MMO and there was a team and there was the question of realistic network support and budget, and then there was no investors and i owed the bank a lot of money and ended up doing sales for 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a year... what were we talking about?

NOW you're understanding functions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
that whole thing reaches down to the core of typology.

once you encounter questions like this:
is someone an so-first instinctual stacking or Fe?
is someone energetic because they are 7 or because they are e?
is someone analytical because they are TP or because they are 5?
etc..

you have to ask what typology is:

if its semantics - behavioral descriptions - then 7 is just describing a type of extrovert, 5 is just describing a type of TP, and so on, so instead of "this or this", it would always be "this and this" - they are describing overlapping traits.

if it's mechanisms - naming internal processes - then there is real room to argue what behavior comes from where, and there is room for internal inconsistencies and people having one but not the other.

:yes: Exactly.

IMO, the whole thing is sort of useless if it's about behavior. I'm not interested in behavior. I'm interested in what led to the behavior. The why.

Such Irony said:

Good point. I think more meticulous Ti-doms especially might be prone to identifying as Js. My INTP 6w5 sp/sx dad seems really J at times and I mistook him for an INTJ when I was first learning MBTI.

Darn it, this is the 2nd time you have made me look like a complete Typology ignoramous (well at least ISTP has also been a big part of that mix... with some ENTP on the side)! I'm forever cursed to be singled out as the prime mistyped member of this forum. [MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] is up there too as well (considering pretty much every F type in existence), so takes some pressure off of me.

Lol, you've gotta stop seeing yourself in my posts. I still think you're really an ENTP, so technically I'm not even talking about you! :hug:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol, you've gotta stop seeing yourself in my posts. I still think you're really an ENTP, so technically I'm not even talking about you! :hug:

Yes, I'm very much aware of that; I just wanted to make an argument for something to stir up some fire and excitement - there's nothing wrong with motivational conflict and strife, as it makes us all the more powerful from the struggle!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You just used logic to justify that you are Fi aux.

And when I use logic in my justifications people say it's Fi. Go figure.

Anyway, and I should probably just take my type off because I'll probably never be 100% sure of it, no one has answered exactly what the relation is between Ti and being sure of one's type.

I mentioned this in a thread and [MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION] said they essentially had no relation to each other; and that was the collective response.
Ok then, I have 5 primary functions instead of 4. Ni,Ne,Ti,Fe,Si. Not always in that order. This has not been proven otherwise either.

Because I'm a special snowflake. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yes: Exactly.

IMO, the whole thing is sort of useless if it's about behavior. I'm not interested in behavior. I'm interested in what led to the behavior. The why.

Me too, but the perrenial problem is how can you see a process that is internal in people and that some people can't even articulate about themselves?

The reason people get hung up on appearance (photos and video) or on behavior is that it's observable.