• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing and Intutiting

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I realize there are probably a billion sources on S v N. However, I am not certain which are valid.

Any tips? :coffee:

By the way, I meant intuiting...geez must be getting tired.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, I realize there are probably a billion sources on S v N. However, I am not certain which are valid.

S = right
N- wrong

I am the only valid source. Anything else I can help you with?

;)

My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Sensing or Intuition

(That one seems pretty good to me, but *shrug*)

Any tips? :coffee:

Yes, eat more cheese.

By the way, I meant intuiting...geez must be getting tired.

No problem. That happens to even us perfect "S" people. :cool:

heart

heart on fire
S= blind
n= slightly less blind

okay just kidding!

S= concrete, here and now, in this moment, facts.
N= abstract, focused on future, theory over facts.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sensors experience the external world as it actually is.

And for some strange reason N's prefer, well, perhaps this image will explain it better than I can.

N's, in a nutshell:

Head_up_ass.jpg

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahaha. Thanks guys. :) Just trying to figure out what my husband might be. :party2:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Check rather the functions out.
Se, Si, Ne, Ni.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Another way of thinking about Sensing vs. Intuition is

Sensing: A powerful way of knowing not just what is but the way it's supposed to be. For example, Sensing types see the value in traditions, recognize how a room or desk or process can be most efficiently organized.

Intuition: A powerful way of knowing what could be. Whereas Sensing types are rightfully suspicious of hunches that come from nowhere, Intuitive types who are allowed to nurture that ability learn that their sense of what should change or what could be different or what to try that hasn't been tried before are often dead on.

edcoaching

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
In-tu-tit-ing sounds ok to me... :devil:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Another way of thinking about Sensing vs. Intuition is

Sensing: A powerful way of knowing not just what is but the way it's supposed to be. For example, Sensing types see the value in traditions, recognize how a room or desk or process can be most efficiently organized.

Intuition: A powerful way of knowing what could be. Whereas Sensing types are rightfully suspicious of hunches that come from nowhere, Intuitive types who are allowed to nurture that ability learn that their sense of what should change or what could be different or what to try that hasn't been tried before are often dead on.

edcoaching

I'm pretty sure this only applies to Js...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard a saying that i found to be a distilled description of the difference between S and N.

iNtuitive = "I wonder what would happen if I did X"
Sensor = "I'm going to do X and see what happens."

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I heard a saying that i found to be a distilled description of the difference between S and N.

iNtuitive = "I wonder what would happen if I did X"
Sensor = "I'm going to do X and see what happens."
Really? I do both, and I'm far from a Sensor. A healthy dose of curiosity can get you there.

I would add "I did X and this is what happened: [Lots of detail of how X looked, tasted, felt, etc.]"

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm pretty sure this only applies to Js...

Actually, it applies to all dominant Sensing types.

Extraverted Sensing types (ESFP, ESTP) are known for their ability to take in a situation and know what needs to be done--that's why they gravitate toward emergency work and other professions where being in-the-moment to solve real problems really counts.

Introverted Sensing types (ISTJ, ISFJ) are the organizers of the world. Yes they have a creative side, but they spend so much time cleaning up after the rest of us and getting things in order so that they make sense that they have little time for anything else.

Where Sensing is the auxiliary, you have all kinds of other things going on...

Edcoaching

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Agreed, an SP isn't going to be keen on the value of traditional order.

The ISJ's might be keener on traditional order but look at the last part of the Sensing definition: understanding the way reality should be. That's the in-the-moment righting the wrong that makes ESPs so handy.

edcoaching

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Really? I do both, and I'm far from a Sensor. A healthy dose of curiosity can get you there.

I would add "I did X and this is what happened: [Lots of detail of how X looked, tasted, felt, etc.]"

Intuition and Sensing are your second and third functions, though, not your dominant--and you use both with the outside world. You probably have more facility with your Sensing function than someone for whom Intuition is their dominant. Few INTPs ever want to be caught in an incompetent moment which often has them thoroughly investigating both kinds of information--reality and hunches/connections--before voicing a decision that their internal Thinking function believes resonates with all the info available.

edcoaching

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Intuition and Sensing are your second and third functions, though, not your dominant--and you use both with the outside world.
You mean INTPs or me, specifically?
[See siggy: Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)]

Few INTPs ever want to be caught in an incompetent moment which often has them thoroughly investigating both kinds of information--reality and hunches/connections--before voicing a decision that their internal Thinking function believes resonates with all the info available.
Sounds about right.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You mean INTPs or me, specifically?
[See siggy: Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)]

Sounds about right.

INTPs in general. I've hosted panels of INTPs. One group came up with this description of their decision process. "When we're first playing with an idea, we're gathering info from everyone. It's like bundling straws into organized piles, very flexible. As we get more information those straws become more like wood--we've discarded the dross and have a pretty firm idea of what the information is adding up to. Once we voice a decision, it isn't that we're stubborn, it's that we've taken so much time to form our view that it's like the Eiffel Tower--steel. Your evidence has to be really good for us to start dismantling and forming a new view..."

edcoaching

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Once we voice a decision, it isn't that we're stubborn, it's that we've taken so much time to form our view that it's like the Eiffel Tower--steel. Your evidence has to be really good for us to start dismantling and forming a new view..."

edcoaching

That doesn't sound like the groups of INTPs I've worked with or discussed projects with. They are pretty much always open to alternative ideas, even once they've reached a conclusion (ie probably never).

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I live with three S types, and I have noticed a very big difference between "me" and "them".

I'm the only one in this family who thinks about the consequences.

I was shocked when discussing with my mother and sister the told me that they never think about consequences and always live in the exact here and now.

Then I realized that the explanation is the simple thing that always pops up in MBTI.

S = present, facts
N = future, possibilities and ideas.