• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

3w2 or 3w4?

Nicki

Retired
I know for sure that I'm a type 3 but not sure about my wing. I'm also an so/sx.

-I know exactly what I want to major and minor in for college and I know which colleges I want to go to. I have actually planned out my whole life. I believe the best way to become successful is to plan everything out carefully and do things that have a purpose. I absolutely hate wasting my time.

-I find people very interesting and I love getting to know them even though I might not necessarily like them. It's rare for me to find someone boring but those people exist. I dislike bland people who go out of their way to not offend people around them. I find that somewhat cowardly and annoying. If you offend people, you get noticed and you also have spirit. I love polarizing people and I think that's because I can be like that at times.

-I often come off as blunt and somewhat socially awkward because when I talk to the majority of people, I completely abandon social rules. Though if someone's important to a goal of mine though or if I like them, I'm quick to conform and play nice.

-I want to intimidate others around me with my talents and skills. I don't want to seem like a human who struggles with stress and everyday things, I want to seem above that. I used to be very emotionally messy when I was young though, since I was really bored. Controlled drama was my thing.

-I'm weird when it comes to my feelings. I always feel like I'm skimming the surface and like I don't really know what's going on inside of me but I also know how to analyze what I feel and create moral rules.

-I love psychology, fashion, politics, cooking, etc.

-I believe in ideals. I want the world to represent my ideal of how it's supposed to be and I want to become my ideal of perfection. My ideal of perfection is a combination of admired fictional characters, celebrities, and successful historical figures all wrapped up into one person.

-I feel like I should have trust issues but I never do. I have no problem opening up to others about a lot of things.

-I love to help others out. Whenever I see someone who needs help, I always think of it as my time to shine. I take pride in being considered, "the helpful" friend.

-I like to analyze my friends' issues around once a week. I try to get them to open up to me and I like analyzing the problems in their life and attempting to fix them. It's one of those things I think I'm very good at.

-I'm considered an intense person who occasionally comes off too strong.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards 3w4.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do you think? I'm leaning towards 3w4.
Hmm actually what you've said could go either way. I was leaning toward 3w2.

Is your preferred idea of success more mainstream; something most people can appreciate, recognise and enjoy? Or your preferred idea of success more esoteric, exclusive and only accessible to a select number with the sufficient taste or knowledge to recognise it?

Do you want to please people and actively attempt win them over, or do you want to draw their admiration more passively and indirectly by setting a standard of excellence?

Are you self-analytical and highly conscious, careful, particular about your image? Or are you secure in your image as long as you feel helpful and that people are responding well to you?

I

Infinite Bubble

A lot of your points are oriented towards others. I think 3w2.

Nicki

Retired
Hmm actually what you've said could go either way. I was leaning toward 3w2.

Is your preferred idea of success more mainstream; something most people can appreciate, recognise and enjoy? Or your preferred idea of success more esoteric, exclusive and only accessible to a select number with the sufficient taste or knowledge to recognise it?

Do you want to please people and actively attempt win them over, or do you want to draw their admiration more passively and indirectly by setting a standard of excellence?

Are you self-analytical and highly conscious, careful, particular about your image? Or are you secure in your image as long as you feel helpful and that people are responding well to you?

My preferred idea of success is definitely more mainstream. I want everyone or nearly everyone to consider me successful and admire me. I have a few goals that are based on that idea but not really.

I do want to do the latter though. I think of actively attempting to win people over as somewhat cheap and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Definitely the former, everything I do regarding how I come off is deliberate.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My preferred idea of success is definitely more mainstream. I want everyone or nearly everyone to consider me successful and admire me. I have a few goals that are based on that idea but not really.

I do want to do the latter though. I think of actively attempting to win people over as somewhat cheap and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Definitely the former, everything I do regarding how I come off is deliberate.
Well that's 3w2 on the first, and 3w4 on the last few - so no clear cut answers. Still the fact you answered that first one with a emphatically 3w2 response is probably more revealing. I would think it highly unlikely that a 3w4 would choose that answer.

You're quite young though aren't you? It may take a while for your personality traits to solidify and become easily recognisable. Also with younger people it can be harder to tell the difference between what they want to be like or what they want to emphasise about themselves, and what they really are. Maybe it's harder with 3s too, as they're a very aspirational type.

And you sound Sx-first not So-first BTW. You mention being intense and blunt; that you enjoy polarising people; that you want to intimidate people with your talent - these are the sorts of things a Sx would say. A 3 So-first fits more of the traditional concept of the type; it heightens the 3 qualities, whereas you have elements that conflict with, and temper, them a little. And as you are a 3 it can also be hard to tell the difference between the social instinct and your type - they have similarities (just like Sp and 5). You might even be Sx/Sp. Actually that 3 stacking apparently has a 4-like quality. What do you think about this description:

Type 3- Sexual/Self-pres

This subtype can appear almost Four-like. They can be dramatic and appear introspective, especially with the Four wing. There is an on and off quality to these Threes. They can be very emotional and then become very business like. It’s not uncommon to find this subtype in the arts, especially as actors, singers or performers. The outward sexual energy coupled with the secondary self-pres energy can cause these Threes to focus on projecting an image of themselves to the world. They will seek validation in the area of their persona. This type especially wrestles with the authenticity of the persona/image they create. On the one hand, the image protects the real self, but at the same time they hate the image they project. This subtype is likely to be in a constant state of flux when it comes to the image they project and for this reason, they run the risk of burn-out and disillusionment. They are more prone to depression than the other subtypes.

When healthier, these Threes begin to trust their intimate relationships, and begin to disentangle the real self from the flux of partial identities they create. They learn that being vulnerable is necessary if they are to get what they really want, which is to reveal the real self and trust that they are lovable even with their flaws.

Nicki

Retired
Well that's 3w2 on the first, and 3w4 on the last few - so no clear cut answers. Still the fact you answered that first one with a emphatically 3w2 response is probably more revealing. I would think it highly unlikely that a 3w4 would choose that answer.

You're quite young though aren't you? It may take a while for your personality traits to solidify and become easily recognisable. Also with younger people it can be harder to tell the difference between what they want to be like or what they want to emphasise about themselves, and what they really are. Maybe it's harder with 3s too, as they're a very aspirational type.

And you sound Sx-first not So-first BTW. You mention being intense and blunt; that you enjoy polarising people; that you want to intimidate people with your talent - these are the sorts of things a Sx would say. A 3 So-first fits more of the traditional concept of the type; it heightens the 3 qualities, whereas you have elements that conflict with, and temper, them a little. And as you are a 3 it can also be hard to tell the difference between the social instinct and your type - they have similarities (just like Sp and 5). You might even be Sx/Sp. Actually that 3 stacking apparently has a 4-like quality. What do you think about this description:

Hmm yeah.

Physically, I guess so, although I'm quite sure I'm a 3. As soon as I read the description a few years ago, I realized I was definitely a 3 and I haven't ever changed my mind. Also, external circumstances probably made me grow up faster. Although I did find it hard to figure out my MBTI type at first because of my fluid sense of self and habit of taking on other faces.

Hmm I could see that. I was torn between Sx and So for a while as while I'm very focused on social issues, group dynamics, etc., I'm also focused on my "obsessions" and the like. That would make sense.

I do identify a bit with that description.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say 3w4. From the way you present supporting material in a professional manner.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15963]Aleda[/MENTION]
you seem more 3w2 to me. you're more warm and take pride in being helpful and supportive (very 2-ish imo). 3w4s tend to be colder and have more internal turmoil that they try to hide from the world.
however, one thing is becoming increasingly obvious to me. you are an ENFP :newwink:

Edit: this is my take on 3w4s. how do you relate?
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/heart-centers/59482-my-take-3w4s.html

Nicki

Retired
you seem more 3w2 to me. you're more warm and take pride in being helpful and supportive (very 2-ish imo). 3w4s tend to be colder and have more internal turmoil that they try to hide from the world.
however, one thing is becoming increasingly obvious to me. you are an ENFP :newwink:

Edit: this is my take on 3w4s. how do you relate?
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/heart-centers/59482-my-take-3w4s.html

Hmm 3w2 does make more sense. I rarely come off as cold though I do have a bit of internal turmoil.

Interesting observation, could you explain your reasoning to me? Where do you see the Ne/dom Pe?

-I do feel rejected and abandoned by most of the world but I still want them to be part of my audience. My audience is the whole world, definitely not a select part. The more people that admire and look up to me, the better.

-I don't care too much about being unique to be honest. I think of myself as a pre-packaged product that I want to constantly advertise to the mainstream.

-I do have a slightly tragic inner life but I barely spend time reflecting so it doesn't really count much, does it? I love self-expression and emotional intensity too.

-I don't think I seem too professional. My image is much more people-oriented and I often come off much more emotionally invested than I actually am. I hide my really deep inner feelings because I want to be the only one who knows myself best but other than that, I'm really open.

-I think romance/sensual hobbies are unproductive. I didn't relate to the last paragraph at all.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
based on this, I'm pretty sold for 3w2 for you at this point :)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You always struck me more as a 3w2, but I haven't known you long enough to say for sure. :( This thread confirms it for me, though. I could also see you being an sx-firster like someone else said but so/sx sounds reasonable to me.

R

Riva

I have noticed that 3w4s are very very quiet.

Wonder whether the self typed 3w4s would agree.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

often. they tend to be more reserved and self contained than the more 7-ish, gregarious 3w2.

of course, there are exceptions. case in point
Glamour-Madonna8.jpg

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
3w2 imo as well.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Depends on who the 3w4 is with.

I've been told I come off cold and remote with people I just met.

Nicki

Retired
Depends on who the 3w4 is with.

I've been told I come off cold and remote with people I just met.

I come off warm yet eccentric and awkward with people I just meet. But with people who are important to my goals, I come off much more smoother. How are you like with "important" people?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I come off warm yet eccentric and awkward with people I just meet. But with people who are important to my goals, I come off much more smoother. How are you like with "important" people?

Professional, polished, "warm" etc.