• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type my friend!

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hi guys - my friend is at theological college with me. She is unusual, serious and intelligent but positive and with a good sense of humour. Everyone likes her. She speaks up well in class, challenges well. Gets lost easily around campus :) Is a big reader, clever. People go to her for advice. She can be strong in her opinions but doesn't squash people. She dresses pretty and a bit scruffy. She says she's done the online tests but doesn't relate to anything she comes up as fully, and comes up as a wide range of different types (from ENTJ to INFP!) What do you think? What would I need to look for to find out what her leading functions are??

Velvet_Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My first thought was an INTP, possibly ENTP. Her choice in theological college bespeaks someone who likes to ponder things over, a trait of someone with NP, I think. Unusual is definitely descriptive of an ENTP or an INTP. If she gets lost easily, I would definitely type her as an intuitive and not a sensor. ENTP's are very clever, I know from experience with my sister. (My sister is also really into books.) She may be hard to type because she may either be over-thinking the questions on the test (as I think NTP's are prone to) or she could just be a well developed type. (My ENFP dad can sometimes be mistaken for an ESTP for this reason.) Ask what comes more naturally, and what she was like as a child. Chances are there hasn't been major reformations in any of these ways.

Hope I helped! :)

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My first thought was an INTP, possibly ENTP. Her choice in theological college bespeaks someone who likes to ponder things over, a trait of someone with NP, I think. Unusual is definitely descriptive of an ENTP or an INTP. If she gets lost easily, I would definitely type her as an intuitive and not a sensor. ENTP's are very clever, I know from experience with my sister. (My sister is also really into books.) She may be hard to type because she may either be over-thinking the questions on the test (as I think NTP's are prone to) or she could just be a well developed type. (My ENFP dad can sometimes be mistaken for an ESTP for this reason.) Ask what comes more naturally, and what she was like as a child. Chances are there hasn't been major reformations in any of these ways.

Hope I helped! :)
Hi Velvet Rose - thanks!! I asked her what comes naturally, she said, reading, writing, distilling information into the essence, explaining things to people, interesting conversation. As a child she said she was into exploring places, riding bikes, playing with lego, reading; at school always the one with her hand up in class knowing the answer, annoyed the teachers but wanted to please them and enjoyed talking with them. Happy to play alone (and often did) but liked by other children and sociable - more interested in being with adults or older/daring kids. Competitive, liked to win or be the best. Left school early due to boredom, is now returning to study and loving it. I don't think she's an ENTP - my husband is an ENTP and more liable to cause a ruckus than she is, if you know what I mean! Could she be an F? INTP is possible but she's quite feminine and sociable which never fits the descriptions of INTP's online which I think puts her off.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi Velvet Rose - thanks!! I asked her what comes naturally, she said, reading, writing, distilling information into the essence, explaining things to people, interesting conversation. As a child she said she was into exploring places, riding bikes, playing with lego, reading; at school always the one with her hand up in class knowing the answer, annoyed the teachers but wanted to please them and enjoyed talking with them. Happy to play alone (and often did) but liked by other children and sociable - more interested in being with adults or older/daring kids. Competitive, liked to win or be the best. Left school early due to boredom, is now returning to study and loving it. I don't think she's an ENTP - my husband is an ENTP and more liable to cause a ruckus than she is, if you know what I mean! Could she be an F? INTP is possible but she's quite feminine and sociable which never fits the descriptions of INTP's online which I think puts her off.

ENFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In other words, ENTP, INTP, ENFP, or INFP.

There are more signs of extraversion than introversion in the description given. Their only question was F or T. ENTP tends to be more unruly than ENFP.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think ENTP's always "cause a ruckus". My graduate student teacher for one of my classes is definitely either ENTP or ENTJ (and I'm really thinking ENTP), and well, if she were unruly she wouldn't be a grad student. She seems like a pretty together person who takes things seriously when she needs to. But she's always saying things in a witty way and making people laugh, and she's great at being the devil's advocate and presenting both sides of an issue. And my ENTJ ex's default mode is mischievous. It's best not to take generalized traits as rules; rather look at the underlying causes of the traits. Also remember females are going to exhibit the traits differently than males, and the thinking types' descriptions are based more on males.

Ne+Ti has a mischievous streak which is distinctive from Ne+Fi, and Ti-Ne and Fi-Ne similarly have distinctions. Ne generates possibilities and loves absurdities. Ne will take in information around her, but also from inside her own mind, and put it together in interesting and funny combinations; the laughter generated from unusual combinations of things is further Ne stimulation, especially if other people laugh as well. When ENTP's are being serious, they are using their Ne and Ti together to make sense of the world and make possibilities into reality (usually in the mental realm, as opposed to ENTJ in the physical). The distinction with Ne-Ti is that their mischievousness (Ne) is tinged with Ti, which lends an intellectual edge. They're going to want to develop clever schemes to produce funny results, or shake the system up, or present novel and revolutionary ideas, or simply play with people's minds.

ENFP's have Ne+Fi, which means that their Ne play will be tinged with emotions. I know Fi is not about emotions, but nevertheless it happens this way when people exhibit it most of the time. ENFP's aren't going to be really emotional creatures, indeed Ne makes them really too mental to be; but they will have a lot of attitude. They have things they feel strongly about for the moment, and some things they really believe in. The things they say and do will be influenced by their personal attitude toward things. They will usually generate humor by being outrageous, rebellious, silly, overdramatic, quirky, or telling what they see is the truth in a funny way. They make sense of the world qualitatively, which means that they are organizing information according to how they feel about it. ENFP's are mischievous in a provocative or silly way, but they are harmless. With ENFP's the emphasis is on fun. ENTP's have a little more trouble getting out of their heads.

INFP's are Fi-Ne, which means that they are more often serious than silly. That is, they will be making sense of things qualitatively first and generating entertaining randomness second. Their reaction to something may be to take it seriously and say how they feel about it, or what things should be like, when an ENFP would just make a smart ass remark. Their brand of mischief is a little more either Fi (like being sarcastic and absurd in a kind of pointed emotional way), or inhibited Ne, like playing word games and saying little silly things. They aren't flamboyant like ENFP's. They also like to shake up the system and broaden people's minds, but it's usually in a more agreeable and serious way than ENFP's.

INTP's have Ti-Ne, which again means that they will more often take things seriously than just be silly. They have to make sense of everything before they can just be random. They have kind of a fear of just letting go and being crazy most of the time. Their Ne entertainment is a more subdued kind of ENTP mischief; they like playing with words, making witty remarks, expressing logical/factual truth in an entertaining way, being subtly provocative, and playing with people's minds. But they have a more intellectual or just quietly absurd humor. I think INTP's are more likely to laugh about objective aspects of a situation, whereas INFP's might be a little nervous with such objective truths, especially if they involve people's well-being.

Hope this helps. This is just one aspect of what you describe, but I can gladly analyze the rest.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"more liable to cause a ruckus"
Exactly- OP is suggesting that if someone doesn't they aren't ENTP. There are plenty of exceptions in many situations; you have to look at the underlying motivations.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly- OP is suggesting that if someone doesn't they aren't ENTP. There are plenty of exceptions in many situations; you have to look at the underlying motivations.

And how are you going to look at underlying motivations?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And how are you going to look at underlying motivations?
Um, like I just illustrated? Ask why a type would do a certain behavior, what are the overall behavior patterns, how do the behaviors vary in intensity, what cognitive functions are responsible and how might they produce similar or different but relate behaviors, etc. Same way you'd look at the motivations for anything.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Um, like I just illustrated? Ask why a type would do a certain behavior, what are the overall behavior patterns, how do the behaviors vary in intensity, what cognitive functions are responsible and how might they produce similar or different but relate behaviors, etc. Same way you'd look at the motivations for anything.

But that's circular reasoning. You have to assume what the person's type is and then describe that type's motivations, correlating them with the described behaviors (such as "likes to bug teachers"). Circular.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But that's circular reasoning. You have to assume what the person's type is and then describe that type's motivations, correlating them with the described behaviors (such as "likes to bug teachers"). Circular.
Which is pretty much how typology works. Except you don't do it with people whose types you're not sure of. How do we know anything about the types? It's not all a priori.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More importantly, do you disagree with my assessment? If not, do you think I just happened to come to those conclusions without any sort of reliable method?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More importantly, do you disagree with my assessment? If not, do you think I just happened to come to those conclusions without any sort of reliable method?

Since when is circular reasoning reliable? For example:

tumblr_leyulkUIsA1qgnx3ko1_400.jpg

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since when is circular reasoning reliable? For example:

tumblr_leyulkUIsA1qgnx3ko1_400.jpg

You didn't answer my question.

"greenfairy's reasoning must be circular because I say it is, circular reasoning is never justified, so her conclusion and methods must be false."

Circular.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You didn't answer my question.

"greenfairy's reasoning must be circular because I say it is, circular reasoning is never justified, so her conclusion and methods must be false."

Circular.

That's two times now you've given us false quotes in this thread.

I didn't say circular reasoning was false. It's simply a method of justifying one's conclusion from the conclusion itself. The conclusion may be true, the reasoning is self-justifying. The Bible is true because it says so in the Bible. That doesn't mean the Bible is false.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's two times now you've given us false quotes in this thread.

I didn't say circular reasoning was false. It's simply a method of justifying one's conclusion from the conclusion itself. The conclusion may be true, the reasoning is self-justifying. The Bible is true because it says so in the Bible. That doesn't mean the Bible is false.
I'm summarizing the quotes, not quoting them directly. And I'm not using circular reasoning. I'm using a method which you label as circular, using your own circular reasoning. In any case, this is off the topic of the thread. I'm simply using the same methods of reasoning as any psychologist who uses typology. I think I'll post more about this directly somewhere else, but I don't have the time now.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm summarizing the quotes, not quoting them directly. And I'm not using circular reasoning. I'm using a method which you label as circular, using your own circular reasoning. In any case, this is off the topic of the thread. I'm simply using the same methods of reasoning as any psychologist who uses typology. I think I'll post more about this directly somewhere else, but I don't have the time now.

You're not summarizing any quotes, you're putting them in your own words AND changing the meanings.

Yes I know many people use typology circularly. I don't know if Psychologists do. Most of them reject it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're not summarizing any quotes, you're putting them in your own words AND changing the meanings.

Yes I know many people use typology circularly. I don't know if Psychologists do. Most of them reject it.

Many people do, and I don't. I will address this in my future post. The right method appears to be circular, but isn't if you do it right. If you do it wrong or use an incorrect method which looks like it (like spiritual people must be INFP's), then it just perpetuates all sorts of incorrectness and merits your criticism. The correct method only looks circular because it involves both induction and deduction, in a process of them working together.