• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP? ENFJ? Something else?

Signor Crescendo

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3?
Hello! I'm trying to place myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm flummoxed. My test results are all over the place. 41Q tells me I'm an Engaged Idealist (=ENFJ). According to the Personality Max test, I'm an ENTJ. I could well be an ENFP or an ENTP.

Quick biog:
Broad-minded humanist.
Main interests: Opera, theatre, history, other cultures, mythology, psychology, literature (the classics, British comedy, adventure stories). Science (particularly natural history); computer adventure games; movies.
Studied History and (a mistake) English. I didn't enjoy my undergrad years - I was practically a hikikomori. (University had no structure and no community - I went from school 5 days a week, knowing most of the people in my year, to a huge campus where I knew nobody, and where one class might be first thing on Monday morning, and the next on Tuesday evening. Social isolation --> nervous breakdown.) Pulled myself out of it by doing volunteer work: tutoring and museum guiding.
Did a Masters degree in English, but realised that academe wasn't for me. (The department was dominated by what Harold Bloom calls the school of resentment: rampant political correctness and politicking. Which is the exact opposite of what a university should be doing. Education should empower; it should broaden people's minds, and teach the best civilisation has to offer, not instil political slogans and narrow-minded spite.)
I'm currently in an office job, which pays well, but is unsatisfying (admin/policy, desk job). My plan is to do a TESOL degree, and spend the next couple of years teaching overseas (Turkey, Thailand, Japan, then off to Madagascar, South America & Africa). This would be a great way of seeing the world, would give me classroom experience, and would allow me to do something useful.
Thinking of school teaching (History/humanities).
In the long term, I want to write (comic fantasy; historical novels). If I could have the last 15 years again, I'd become a theatre director (or possibly a TV producer).

That's probably not enough to make an accurate diagnosis, so please feel free to ask questions. It'd certainly be easier and more revelatory than wading through pages of me introspecting. Thank you!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is your top dresser drawer filled with unfolded socks, tampons, a half eaten ziplock bag of whole shelled walnuts, some loose oatmeal you neglected to ever clean up, an empty prescription pill bottle, and two colors of nail polish?

Just trying to help you out on that J/P part.

Signor Crescendo

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3?
The room's reasonably neat, with three bookshelves (containing many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore), a cupboard (full of books), and a bed (not full of books, oddly enough). (I sound like an estate agent.) A few piles of books, but nothing in the way of organic mess.

Tampons and nail polish? Not unless I've changed my sex in the last five minutes. (Checks trousers) No, still male.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Plenty of males wear nailpolish.

Something about you screams NFJ to me.

And I whole-heartedly believe you're an NF.

Also that whole thing about the university having "no structure" actually cinched it, that's actually what I LOVED about university, so naturally an ExFJ would bemoan this while an IxFP would take advantage of it, and even wish she could quit her part-time job while she was at it and just ...you know...hang out.

Signor Crescendo

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3?
Wonderful! So you'd say I'm an ENFJ, then? (I have to say: that was what I suspected - and explains why my voice can be heard across the other side of the floor at work. I'm in training to be Brian Blessed.)

Thanks again!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. You're quite welcome.

and explains why my voice can be heard across the other side of the floor at work. I'm in training to be Brian Blessed.

Ah. Thus "Signor Crescendo."

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree, for what it's worth - DEFINITELY ENFJ!! Not ENTJ (far too humanitarian!!), Not likely ENFP (too tidy, as Marmotini pointed out ) :)