• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I a strange INTP/INTJ/ISTJ hybrid?

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hi all, I've been trying to determine my type since I took the humanmetrics.com test last week, which pronounced me an INTJ. (Two years ago, though, the same test told me I was INTP.) Yesterday, i took the cognitivefunctions.com test, which said I'm an ISTJ (!?).

I'm now turning to the power of the great hive mind here instead. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm an introvert. I'm pretty sure I have strong Thinking and weak Feeling. I have no idea about iNtuiting and Sensing.

I tried to think of a way to organise the info below, but it's easier to just type whatever that comes to mind because they all seem related, so I'm just gonna go ahead.

- I've been told I'm uptight, and I do think I should learn to go with the flow more. I admire spontaneity and often wish I could just do things like fly off for a holiday without planning a full itinerary of things to do.
- I like things to be in place and planned, but sometimes I wish I could be surprised (eg having friends throw me surprise birthday party).
-I've been called a "nazi" when I went through a phase of trying cut down the use of plastic (I still wince internally when people do things like accept plastic bags and then throw them away right after they leave the store, but I won't say anything).
- I hate the idea of being anal but have been told that I'm nitpicky and get hung up on small things. I'm not sure how much my job as a copy editor has to do with it, and some days I attribute it to the job and feel angry about it.
- I like making lists (Te?) but may procrastinate over the tasks to do. Ticking off tasks make me feel relieved, because otherwise it will be nagging at the back of my mind.
- I feel like I am good at seeing more efficient ways of doing things, but an inner voice says I'm being egoistic.
- I can make myself focus on work even when my emotions are a mess; in fact, I prefer to 'hide' in work to avoid thinking too much about unpleasant personal events because that will just make me a wreck (poor Fi?).
-I've been told I'm detached, cold, distant, unemotional, insensitive - and sometimes it hurts but I agree so I never say anything.
- When I feel upset/things don't go my way, I tend to blame myself for having high expectations or doing the wrong thing.
-I don't like to feel strong negative emotions because I don't really know what to do about it and it doesn't help anyway.
- I have poor empathy. When people squeal at how cute babies are, I pretend to understand why. I've been known to squee at cats though.
- I've always felt outside of social groups. I feel that it doesn't matter if I attend gatherings. I have a core group of friends that I meet semi-regularly but I don't really feel close to them. I blame this on my low self-esteem.
- When I make decisions, I find myself analysing instead of going with feeling, or trying to analyse my feeling which never works. People tell me to stop overthinking.
- I can get paralysed by decision-making. Sometimes I think this is down to a fear of commitment. Yet, sometimes I feel better when I have made a choice and there is a clear path of what to do.
- I tend to read up extensively on something that grabbed my interest somewhat compulsively and talk my partner's ears off about it.
- I enjoy debating on ideas. (eg what is the value of money? what does it mean to love someone?)
- On conflicts: I'm really bad at resolving them. I tend to walk away. It's hard for me to accept that I could be wrong and I think sometimes it has to do with a lack of self-acceptance.

I think I could go on but that will just result in a really long-assed post. I've tried to include examples of all the functions. I'll be very interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

I

Infinite Bubble

The information provided suggests IxTJ. But this is based on stereotypical behaviour as what you wrote doesn't necessarily indicate any functions other than probable Te/Fi. All you need to know is whether you use Ni/Se or Ne/Si.

Garthur17

MBTI Type
SDFS
Enneagram
SDF
The information provided suggests IxTJ. But this is based on stereotypical behaviour as what you wrote doesn't necessarily indicate any functions other than probable Te/Fi. All you need to know is whether you use Ni/Se or Ne/Si.

you're right. we need more information about his perceiving functions

R

Riva

Am I correct to assume he is an E1?

It is sad that you have weak feelings. Sad indeed. Giving preference to one over the other 'might' not be. However to know whether we have our regrets for choosing one over the other, the ghosts from our dead bodies will have to learn how to speak.

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Is this the cognitive function test you took, [MENTION=18055]Rache[/MENTION]? http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Yes, it is. and here's what i got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.3)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************************** (44.9)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (29.5)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************** (28.5)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************************** (39.7)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************** (26.4)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************** (23.7)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.4)
average use

My problem with the test is that I answered almost all of them "somewhat me" - because i can see how each statement would apply/not apply depending on the scenarios. I think I only answered in the extreme "not me" or "exactly like me" at most 10 times. Thus, I'm not sure how that would skew the result, if it does.

I read up a little bit on Ne/Si and Se/Ni, but it's all very confusing. I think the only thing I'm sure of is that I have weak Se. I say this because I can be quite oblivious to the surroundings. Once, my friend and I walked past a couple and my friend looked at me and said "Am I the only one to notice that they were splattered in paint?" I can look at people without really looking at them, eg when I board the train I'm focused on looking for a place to sit, so when I look at the people I'm really looking for empty seats. And because of that I miss recognizing someone I know. That person may think I'm unfriendly because apparently I did look at him, but to me, I didn't *see* him. (if that makes sense?)

If they occur in pairs - can i conclude that since I'm so weak in Se, it's likely I'm more of a Si/Ne then, with a more developed Ni?

Also, does being a Judger/Perceiver corresponds to having Te/Fi and Fe/Ti?

I feel like I used to be a P, but somehow have shifted to being a J over the past year or so. Does that even make sense?

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
He gives a 'what is right' vibe which I attributed to E1. Not saying it is so.

Thanks for this, it gives me a place to start when looking into Enneagrams - which seems daunting and infinitely more complex than MTBI!

Edited to add:
Ha! I knew I had taken a test on that somewhere before. And my results:
Your trifix is 6w5, 1w2, 4w5.
Here's the website: http://www.enneagramquiz.com

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTJ makes the most sense of the three, but I'm not seeing an obvious answer yet. Even though sensing, can have this sort of Se-obliviousness you speak of, since their sensing focus is more internal..... the way you reflect on things also hints at Si.

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Reading some threads on Si/Se and it seems that Si is more introspective. Se is more reactive?

When I recall events (say, a day at the beach) I think in terms of impressions - a vague impression of people doing stuff, how hot the sun felt, how I felt while swimming etc.
I don't remember people's faces, I remember impressions of them/how I felt or thought during our conversations/how similar they are to people I already know.
I have to consciously focus on using my senses sometimes. Eg if I tried a cookie someone made and she asked "how was it?" I can't say more than "it was delicious/not delicious". I would need to try another cookie and actively engage my thoughts while eating to give any feedback on the cookie. Applies to sight as well - I've already said I can look at things without seeing them. Sound - I can enjoy listening to songs while having no idea what singers are singing. I need to focus on making out the words. Touch and smell - I guess these are more instinctive in the sense that I need less processing to feel/smell something.

Does this seem more Si than Se to you?

I

Infinite Bubble

My problem with the test is that I answered almost all of them "somewhat me" - because i can see how each statement would apply/not apply depending on the scenarios. I think I only answered in the extreme "not me" or "exactly like me" at most 10 times. Thus, I'm not sure how that would skew the result, if it does.

It would have probably evened out the scores more than it should have done. 10 "extreme" answers doesn't seem too bad though.

If they occur in pairs - can i conclude that since I'm so weak in Se, it's likely I'm more of a Si/Ne then, with a more developed Ni?

I don't know, because the very fact that you are aware of this weakness, could signify that Se is your inferior. If it were any weaker, perhaps you wouldn't be aware of it, as the further down in the function stacking you go, the more unconscious that function becomes. Have you read anything about how the inferior function presents itself, and how each individually reacts in the psyche when one has it as their inferior?

Also, does being a Judger/Perceiver corresponds to having Te/Fi and Fe/Ti?

It depends on the order. For instance, if you have Te/Fi and Te is higher, you'll be a TJ. If it's Fi, you'll be an FP. As for the other pairing, higher Fe indicates FJ , and Ti indicates TP.

I feel like I used to be a P, but somehow have shifted to being a J over the past year or so. Does that even make sense?

We all fluctuate, but it could be the recent development of a Judging function, making you look like a J. But I see you having Te/Fi, with Te being higher, so still TJ.

I also agree with the Enneagram 1 typing.

I

Infinite Bubble

Reading some threads on Si/Se and it seems that Si is more introspective. Se is more reactive?

When I recall events (say, a day at the beach) I think in terms of impressions - a vague impression of people doing stuff, how hot the sun felt, how I felt while swimming etc.
I don't remember people's faces, I remember impressions of them/how I felt or thought during our conversations/how similar they are to people I already know.
I have to consciously focus on using my senses sometimes. Eg if I tried a cookie someone made and she asked "how was it?" I can't say more than "it was delicious/not delicious". I would need to try another cookie and actively engage my thoughts while eating to give any feedback on the cookie. Applies to sight as well - I've already said I can look at things without seeing them. Sound - I can enjoy listening to songs while having no idea what singers are singing. I need to focus on making out the words. Touch and smell - I guess these are more instinctive in the sense that I need less processing to feel/smell something.

Does this seem more Si than Se to you?

Oh, I completely missed this response. I think it's Si. Probably ISTJ for you.

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
ISTJ does seem somewhat me. Although I must say I don't like the feel of ISTJs being emotionless straight arrows.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, everyone! :wubbie:

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Have you read anything about how the inferior function presents itself, and how each individually reacts in the psyche when one has it as their inferior?
I did find a series of threads over at personalitycafe.com and I read the ones on INTJ, INTP and ISTJ.
And again, I feel like aspects of all three descriptions apply to me, in different scenarios, at different times.

It depends on the order. For instance, if you have Te/Fi and Te is higher, you'll be a TJ. If it's Fi, you'll be an FP. As for the other pairing, higher Fe indicates FJ , and Ti indicates TP.
Thank you, this clears up a lot!

We all fluctuate, but it could be the recent development of a Judging function, making you look like a J. But I see you having Te/Fi, with Te being higher, so still TJ.

Are you able to elaborate on this? One reasons I felt I was more P in the past was that I seemed to let things go more easily. Like deadlines - a friend once commented I seemed unbothered by them because I would always write my essays at the last minute - and even then i would be chatting online with him at the same time. I used to be consistently late for appointments too, and thus not be bothered when my friends are late. I also used to be ok with not making firm decisions.

Now that I think of it, all those were back when I was a student. I guess working has made me more aware of deadlines and plans. And I learned to be punctual and when people are late, I feel like they think my time is not important. I'm more anal about having plans for the weekend/holidays instead of just letting the day unflow naturally - because of work, days off are so precious and I feel like I shouldn't squander them.

I don't know, it's not that I feel forced to be more planned and orderly. I see the value of it. But I do wish a lot of times to be just more of a go-with-the-flow and spontaneous person. Sometimes I find myself weighing the pros and cons of choosing between A and B, and I get angry at myself for being so wishy-washy. And then I just choose one of them anyway based on nothing and get annoyed that I'd wasted so much time weighing pros and cons.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ does seem somewhat me. Although I must say I don't like the feel of ISTJs being emotionless straight arrows.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, everyone! :wubbie:
Well, it appears your alternatives are to be an arrogant jerk, or an absent-minded dweeb. It could be worse. You can count yourself among the salt of the earth.

Really, don't get distracted or discouraged by stupid stereotypes. Yes, your posts here and your function results suggest ISTJ to me as well, but the best way to understand your best fit is to read type descriptions, and lots of them, for your most likely candidate types. The right one will start to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.