• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to zero in on my type, after looking into functions more. Help please.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I say judging as dominant function I am clearly referring t T/F because T/F are judging functions. We use it to judge incoming data collected by our perception functions. This is completely irrelevant to the MBTI letter code J/P which describes something entirely different, namely the function of the first extraverted function in the type.

In other words, you're not correcting anything because there's nothing to correct. You're in fact the one being wrong, factually here.

"I am clearly referring t T/F because T/F are judging functions." And you don't see anything wrong with that?

EricB clearly wrote something about Pi/Je. Can you explain what Pi/Je means?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are the collectives for "introverted Perception with extraverted Judgment" (or the preferred functions represented by the "J" code).
I usually use "j" (lowercase) or just "judgment" when referring to T/F by themselves; and "J" (uppercase) or "Pi/Je" when referring to SiFe, SiTe, FeSi, TeSi, NiFe, NiTe, FeNi, and TeNi.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are the collectives for "introverted Perception with extraverted Judgment" (or the preferred functions represented by the "J" code).
I usually use "j" (lowercase) or just "judgment" when referring to T/F by themselves; and "J" (uppercase) or "Pi/Je" when referring to SiFe, SiTe, FeSi, TeSi, NiFe, NiTe, FeNi, and TeNi.

Dude, you're screwing me up here.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How? You asked what it means. If this is so complicated; that's why I use the shorthand in the first place.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Well, I think I've finally figured out my type.

INFP 5w4 sx/so

EDIT: Back at xNFP again. If I'm really ENFP then I must be the most socially introverted one ever in human history. I should be in the Guinness book of world records if that turns out to be the case. :shock:

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Okay so I was re-reading this thread and saw that debate between you and Kamishi, and one thing stuck out to me:

So you can't always go by how much you see someone “using” a function, to determine its place in the ego.

If this is the case then how would someone determine someone's type? Strong intuitive hunches and vibes?

Anyway I might have more questions if I fully understood most of the content about egos, and how the functions have a strong relationship with the psyche. I still wouldn't consider myself an expert on this. I took a 3 month hiatus from doing research on typology, so I am a little rusty. But that one quote boggles me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay so I was re-reading this thread and saw that debate between you and Kamishi, and one thing stuck out to me:

If this is the case then how would someone determine someone's type? Strong intuitive hunches and vibes?

Anyway I might have more questions if I fully understood most of the content about egos, and how the functions have a strong relationship with the psyche. I still wouldn't consider myself an expert on this. I took a 3 month hiatus from doing research on typology, so I am a little rusty. But that one quote boggles me.

The ego desires a sense of satisfaction. The ego's desire motivates the dominant function into whatever activity is required for the ego to gain satisfaction. But don't look for any material gains to be the true source of the ego's satisfaction, those are only means to a psychological end. When you see someone materially losing yet is still internally satisfied, that is your clue to finding the dominant function.

"I didn't make any money putting on this concert, but the audience was happy, and this is what really satisfies me."

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
The ego desires a sense of satisfaction. The ego's desire motivates the dominant function into whatever activity is required for the ego to gain satisfaction. But don't look for any material gains to be the true source of the ego's satisfaction, those are only means to a psychological end. When you see someone materially losing yet is still internally satisfied, that is your clue to finding the dominant function.

"I didn't make any money putting on this concert, but the audience was happy, and this is what really satisfies me."

I can see how that will ring true for say, an Fi dominant (like myself) or Si or even Fe dominant...but I have a really hard time seeing how that method of typology is applied to say, an Ne or Te dominant. Would they be internally pleased by consistent patterns and links or consistent train of thought/data?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see how that will ring true for say, an Fi dominant (like myself) or Si or even Fe dominant...but I have a really hard time seeing how that method of typology is applied to say, an Ne or Te dominant. Would they be internally pleased by consistent patterns and links or consistent train of thought/data?

I don't quite understand your question, but the example I have used for Te comes from my personal experience:

"I also lost money when I cheated that guy, but as long as he lost money too I'm satisfied."

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
I don't quite understand your question, but the example I have used for Te comes from my personal experience:

"I also lost money when I cheated that guy, but as long as he lost money too I'm satisfied."

Yeah I don't think I explained it accurately. My main question though was how someone could determine someone else's type, if you couldn't determine it based on how often someone uses a function. I suspect you responded based on the relationship between functions and the psyche. I suppose that could be a way of determining someone's type though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I don't think I explained it accurately. My main question though was how someone could determine someone else's type, if you couldn't determine it based on how often someone uses a function. I suspect you responded based on the relationship between functions and the psyche. I suppose that could be a way of determining someone's type though.

Yeah, I really don't go there. The INTJ type hides behind Te too well, and not necessarily just Te.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You have to take the functions in context with everything else (the situation and way it's being used, you could be seeing a less conscious complex at work, etc. and then temperament and Interaction Style are the other clues to type.
I didn't say you can't ever go by functions, just you can't always go by one you [think you're] seeing.