• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help an INFP figure out his enneagram.. please? 5w4, 4w5 or 6w7?

AverOblivious1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not totally skeptical in the sense of a 6. I've noticed 6s are generally always skeptical and give off that vibe. I try to be like a 9 (peace seeking, love all around) at first, but then I realize all these things that people build on my shoulders and then I can judge let loose on a tirade and that's when I get skeptical/resentful (like a 6). But then again, it's angry with a reason but not skepticism like I've heard about most 6s. I'm generally optimistic and I hear a lot of people say I'm quiet but nice if anything.

I can be totally selfless with the need to help people like a 2 but I don't have that flashy "oh I'm helping look at me" thing, I try to beat down my impsulivity and concentrate on how I'm helping exactly (or if I am at all).
I can relate to trying to have competency to achieve, but not just achievement in itself, but things that actually make a difference. When I see knowledge that can actually be useful and applied, I try to keep it close to heart. I agree with knowledge being power, and when I feel stress, I've always imagined just having tons of issues pressing against me, with me not being able to deal with a single on of them. Then I break down, and do something stupid at that point of stress or say something stupid purely to hurt someone as emotionally as they have to me. I can have a fear of being deprived (7) in this state of stress too and that's when people's motives just glare at me and I get unbelievably cerebral/motive-seeking or whatever. Even then I wouldn't say this defines me, I've just noticed stress to be a good indicator of enneagram, so I'll make this as gloomy as possible :)

I can relate to the deep melancholic states of a 4 (had this my whole life), but when it comes to the world I try to lower my own expression to try and cope with what I see and with myself in the world. I've noticed I can be pretty emotionally clueless/overwhelmed when I don't have support, but this isn't something I'm not totally aware of until that support ceases (relating this to how I can be like a 6).

I've gotten 5w4 on tests a lot, (with 1w9 4w3 trifixes). I thought I could relate but I'm not fully sure at all really, since I've also gotten 6w5 and 4w5 core fixes as well.

So, what do you guys think? :)

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hear no envy at all & little shame...I'd rule out 4 & the image triad over all. You resist "defining" yourself, but image types are rather contrived and generally identify heavily with a self-image, even if feeling a failure to meet that definition (ie. 4 shame). The 6 ego is such that they tend to experience themselves more consistently, but may doubt any definition for it, not finding it precise enough or whatever (fear of wrong choice). Other 6s may choose a type & overconfidently stick to it, no matter how ill-fitting or how much evidence shows the contrary, because the rigidity in a final choice makes them feel secure (fear of being wrong still).

I don't hear much avarice/greed of time/space/energy (5) in there either. I'd go with a 7 wing, but more info might be good.

I'm not totally skeptical in the sense of a 6. I've noticed 6s are generally always skeptical and give off that vibe. I try to be like a 9 (peace seeking, love all around) at first, but then I realize all these things that people build on my shoulders and then I can judge let loose on a tirade and that's when I get skeptical/resentful (like a 6). But then again, it's angry with a reason but not skepticism like I've heard about most 6s. I'm generally optimistic and I hear a lot of people say I'm quiet but nice if anything.

"Skepticism" is just a clue of the 6's "vice", which is cowardice or fear. Phobic 6s may experience less conscious skepticism, instead focusing on what makes them feel secure and/or turning doubt on themselves.

I can be totally selfless with the need to help people like a 2 but I don't have that flashy "oh I'm helping look at me" thing, I try to beat down my impsulivity and concentrate on how I'm helping exactly (or if I am at all).

Why do you help?
Is it any of the following applicable at all?
- keeping busy helping takes away anxiety, simply by being too busy to think (as you may "over think) and/or to avoid being blamed for anything (laziness, selfishness, etc).
- guilt over negative/critical thoughts, showing solidarity to hide that you may not feel it
- gaining favor with others as a way of finding/keeping a niche with them, which makes you feel more secure/supported

I can relate to trying to have competency to achieve, but not just achievement in itself, but things that actually make a difference. When I see knowledge that can actually be useful and applied, I try to keep it close to heart. I agree with knowledge being power, and when I feel stress, I've always imagined just having tons of issues pressing against me, with me not being able to deal with a single on of them. Then I break down, and do something stupid at that point of stress or say something stupid purely to hurt someone as emotionally as they have to me. I can have a fear of being deprived (7) in this state of stress too and that's when people's motives just glare at me and I get unbelievably cerebral/motive-seeking or whatever. Even then I wouldn't say this defines me, I've just noticed stress to be a good indicator of enneagram, so I'll make this as gloomy as possible

I can relate to the deep melancholic states of a 4 (had this my whole life), but when it comes to the world I try to lower my own expression to try and cope with what I see and with myself in the world.

4s aren't the only types who can have deep, melancholic states.
The latter part sounds 6ish.

I've noticed I can be pretty emotionally clueless/overwhelmed when I don't have support, but this isn't something I'm not totally aware of until that support ceases (relating this to how I can be like a 6).

You're right, 6ish.

So, what do you guys think?

I'd say phobic 6w7. I think you're seeing it, but just not ready to commit yet. That's okay. Keep reading!

AverOblivious1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I hear no envy at all & little shame...I'd rule out 4 & the image triad over all. You resist "defining" yourself, but image types are rather contrived and generally identify heavily with a self-image, even if feeling a failure to meet that definition (ie. 4 shame). The 6 ego is such that they tend to experience themselves more consistently, but may doubt any definition for it, not finding it precise enough or whatever (fear of wrong choice). Other 6s may choose a type & overconfidently stick to it, no matter how ill-fitting or how much evidence shows the contrary, because the rigidity in a final choice makes them feel secure (fear of being wrong still).

I don't hear much avarice/greed of time/space/energy (5) in there either. I'd go with a 7 wing, but more info might be good.

"Skepticism" is just a clue of the 6's "vice", which is cowardice or fear. Phobic 6s may experience less conscious skepticism, instead focusing on what makes them feel secure and/or turning doubt on themselves.

Why do you help?
Is it any of the following applicable at all?
- keeping busy helping takes away anxiety, simply by being too busy to think (as you may "over think) and/or to avoid being blamed for anything (laziness, selfishness, etc).
- guilt over negative/critical thoughts, showing solidarity to hide that you may not feel it
- gaining favor with others as a way of finding/keeping a niche with them, which makes you feel more secure/supported

I can relate to trying to have competency to achieve, but not just achievement in itself, but things that actually make a difference. When I see knowledge that can actually be useful and applied, I try to keep it close to heart. I agree with knowledge being power, and when I feel stress, I've always imagined just having tons of issues pressing against me, with me not being able to deal with a single on of them. Then I break down, and do something stupid at that point of stress or say something stupid purely to hurt someone as emotionally as they have to me. I can have a fear of being deprived (7) in this state of stress too and that's when people's motives just glare at me and I get unbelievably cerebral/motive-seeking or whatever. Even then I wouldn't say this defines me, I've just noticed stress to be a good indicator of enneagram, so I'll make this as gloomy as possible

4s aren't the only types who can have deep, melancholic states.
The latter part sounds 6ish.

You're right, 6ish.

I'd say phobic 6w7. I think you're seeing it, but just not ready to commit yet. That's okay. Keep reading!

Ha, You're not the first to type me 6w7. The thing is I would have never imagined myself as a 7. Maybe a 4 or a 5 or even a competency seeking 3. But never a 7. :p

I guess if I'm feeling guilty I could help for those reasons, but it's not usually those things. That's something that I puts me off type 6, counter-fear. I would say my motives feel more like counter-shame.

I can help people for the pure sake of helping people, for my values. But then again, if I don't I would feel shameful and feel the need to put myself down.

I guess I don't seek favour. I feel when I help people, it can be so inbuilt in me, that I would get my mind fixated on doing the thing that needs to be done and then running before having to go through the flattery process. That's what I mean when I help selflessly. I can relate to the fear of being blamed for not helping. I just don't like to think about myself in a fear-based way, as all those options you listed are rooted in finding a sense of security. When I start to look at my levels like that then I actually feel more disordered and irregular and unhealthy.

Maybe that's why 6s are phobic to that sort of acceptance, being contrary to evidence of their real type, as you described.

AverOblivious1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
four wing three

People have been calling me 6w7, even on PerC, but I can't relate to the loyalty to connections out of fear of losing them at all. I can be dependent like I said, but what follows is shame, depression etc. And some people (not everyone obvs) have called me out for not even paying attention to connections with others(like them) at all.. when I'm just naturally out of tune with reality..

Why do you say 4w3? I definitely am some sort of 4ish 6ish 9w1ish person.. Competence is something I can identify in the 3, but it is usually competence to achieve things in my life, rather than achievement itself.

W

WALMART

People have been calling me 6w7, even on PerC, but I can't relate to the loyalty to connections out of fear of losing them at all. I can be dependent like I said, but what follows is shame, depression etc. And some people (not everyone obvs) have called me out for not even paying attention to connections with others(like them) at all.. when I'm just naturally out of tune with reality..

Why do you say 4w3? I definitely am some sort of 4ish 6ish 9w1ish person.. Competence is something I can identify in the 3, but it is usually competence to achieve things in my life, rather than achievement itself.

The bolded is an example of something that would guide my thinking of you being 4w3. I think of 4w5's more stoic about their being alone, perhaps. Maybe it's due to unfulfilled connections as a 6w7?

Do you know what instinctual variant you identify with? I'm guessing sx/so...

At any rate, I just type off of hunches, and I'm already incredibly suspect to typing people way different than what they expect, for teh lulz.

AverOblivious1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
The bolded is an example of something that would guide my thinking of you being 4w3. I think of 4w5's more stoic about their being alone, perhaps. Maybe it's due to unfulfilled connections as a 6w7?

Do you know what instinctual variant you identify with? I'm guessing sx/so...

At any rate, I just type off of hunches, and I'm already incredibly suspect to typing people way different than what they expect, for teh lulz.

Nah, not Sx/So. I'm actually, pretty certain about my variant, and I think it's Sp/So/Sx (with Sx last). Like I said I'm not too sure about it being due to connections or whatever, I thought it was much more broad than that. I can put on an image to deal with the world, and then go back to be myself and have thoughts like "oh why did I write this? jesus" and they would be much more authentic than my own image I gave off. Then I get shameful aspiring to express myself one day, express who I truly am? How could I ever do that?

Maybe a bit of background info might help too, I was very self-conscious growing up, but in my younger ages below ages 12 I was very experiential and enthusiastic. I guess I could be a bit sixish then as well, I remember chasing these older uncle figure guys around with a a big piece of wood for threatening to burn my favorite toy car with a lighter. But I guess that could even be a 6 in my tritype manifesting itself at high points of stress? I've always thought I'd have levels of shame, and fear is something that attaches to immediate experiences that reveal some sort of threat in my eyes, rather than a basic driver to things. I think I fear something then, I subconsciously fear it even* more, because it would do something like give off this type of person I became by being a certain way in a conflict situation. I wouldn't say I'm this constant reactive/phobic either though, just last year I remember one of these friends I knew and this other guy were just putting me down for having low 'self confidence', and I just took it and nod my head. I just felt bad about myself. (I dunno why i remembered this specifically but it did happen).

Hunches are cool. :smile:

(soundgarden is cool too)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ha, You're not the first to type me 6w7. The thing is I would have never imagined myself as a 7. Maybe a 4 or a 5 or even a competency seeking 3. But never a 7. :p

I guess if I'm feeling guilty I could help for those reasons, but it's not usually those things. That's something that I puts me off type 6, counter-fear. I would say my motives feel more like counter-shame.

Counter-shame is not helping people.... in a 4, it looks like elitism or snobbery. A better way of looking at it is a disintegration to 2 & showing PRIDE. This means pushing an image of being someone of worth, in contrast to the ugliness you feel inside.

I can help people for the pure sake of helping people, for my values. But then again, if I don't I would feel shameful and feel the need to put myself down.

I can see any Fi-dom saying this.

I guess I don't seek favour. I feel when I help people, it can be so inbuilt in me, that I would get my mind fixated on doing the thing that needs to be done and then running before having to go through the flattery process. That's what I mean when I help selflessly.

Secretly wanting flattery/acknowledgement is 4ish. Do you feel good about simply being a part of a process in which something good is accomplished as opposed to receiving recognition for an individual component you bring in?

I can relate to the fear of being blamed for not helping. I just don't like to think about myself in a fear-based way, as all those options you listed are rooted in finding a sense of security. When I start to look at my levels like that then I actually feel more disordered and irregular and unhealthy.

Maybe that's why 6s are phobic to that sort of acceptance, being contrary to evidence of their real type, as you described.

Can you think of yourself in an envy-driven way? Again, I don't hear any envy or much image triad stuff at all.
Were you considering 9 as well? Sometimes shame/self-worth issues without envy and a tendency to help or be good sans fear/guilt or image considerations is a sign of a 9. How do you feel about your own presence in life & around others? How do you deal with negative feelings & conflict?

AverOblivious1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Counter-shame is not helping people.... in a 4, it looks like elitism or snobbery. A better way of looking at it is a disintegration to 2 & showing PRIDE. This means pushing an image of being someone of worth, in contrast to the ugliness you feel inside.

I can see any Fi-dom saying this.

Secretly wanting flattery/acknowledgement is 4ish. Do you feel good about simply being a part of a process in which something good is accomplished as opposed to receiving recognition for an individual component you bring in?

Can you think of yourself in an envy-driven way? Again, I don't hear any envy or much image triad stuff at all.
Were you considering 9 as well? Sometimes shame/self-worth issues without envy and a tendency to help or be good sans fear/guilt or image considerations is a sign of a 9. How do you feel about your own presence in life & around others? How do you deal with negative feelings & conflict?

Well I at least try to help for the good of a situation itself. I guess I can already see things falling into place and things "Getting better" so I don't really care whether recognition comes or not, - it's really more of a value thing I guess. I'm not sure if I will totally get there.

That's interesting what you said about the four pushing their image like a 2ish pride. I would lean toward 6 for that reason. :)

Yes. I was actually considering 9. Once I got 9 as the highest type on a test.

Also, this one person I know (who knows me well) said I resembled the 9w1 description out of all the other wings. But then also said recently that I could resemble the 4w3 type from a much shorter description.

Maybe I could be a 9. Thanks for mentioning. I guess I try to give less of a presence as possible. I can't stand arrogance; like a clear excessive streak is annoying in itself, and if that really stands out in people I could get het up. When I'm around others, I'm pretty observant, but not excessively observant. I like to keep track of what's happening so I'm not too confused (?) or out of it (?), I don't know why really. I do try to keep my clothing and hairstyle and everything at a constant, and not standoutish type. My brother would always go 'why don't you change your hair? your hair makes you look like a dork' and I would go 'the fact that I can keep my hair one way, shows that I don't get carried away with new trends, that come and go'.

When I see conflict I try to keep my composure, and I try to internally envision a naturally good path to go through and I try to go through with it. Not to say I can't get hostile, I can also get hostile, but usually up to the point if the other side is much more hostile. I only return what people conflict (?) unto me. :mellow: (Though this could just be INFP Fi values).

When other people get into an argument, I do what it takes to calm them down and see the situation rationally. It also kind of depends on how conflicting the conflict is, some conflicts are just stone cold and I can feel my heart beat louder and louder and then I just scream out things like "stop", etc. It's the worst when your family gets into a fight, then it's just painful and I don't care I would rather have it stop than anything. I don't know whether this is related to enneagram at all, but I usually base ideas of handling conflict around the "lower" ways I've reacted in the past, like I would always remember how "low" I have gone to stop a conflict (like if I was a kid and I started screaming or crying about it or something). This stuff is hard to explain, so hopefully you understand. And thanks so much btw! :) I actually thought no one was going to reply for a while.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]. You don't sound like a 4 and 6 seems to fit. I think what you describe as a 2-like desire to help others could be the 6's empathic, responsible, conscientious nature.

How do you feel about other 6 qualities other than the obvious ones?

Personality Type 6 said:
Generally, Sixes are reliable, hard-working, organizing, vigilant, dutiful, evaluating, persevering, cautious, anxious, believing and doubting, conservative and liberal.

Sixes get into conflicts by being pessimistic, defensive, evasive, negative, worrying, doubtful, negativistic, reactive, suspicious, and blaming.

At their best, Sixes are courageous, cooperative, disciplined, grounded, secure, faithful, self-expressive, funny, and affectionate.

https://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype6

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]. You don't sound like a 4 and 6 seems to fit. I think what you describe as a 2-like desire to help others could be the 6's empathic, responsible, conscientious nature.

How do you feel about other 6 qualities other than the obvious ones?

https://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype6

I'd also vote 6-ish, I think. The OP's original post reminds me a lot of my ISFP 6w7 friend (not that the OP is ISFP). My friend is generally very (quietly) upbeat and optimistic until the suppressed negatives bubble to the surface, then he can become highly suspicious of people's motives, attacking and overly negative. Learning to weather those infrequent blow-ups seems necessary to being a long-term friend of his (at least given where he is today).

My friend also tends to be helpful, especially to authority figures. Part of it is a means of appearing non-threatening and aligning himself to authority figures so he'll be safe from them (even though he doesn't like to admit that). He's not fawning, but he definitely seeks to get authority figures on his side in order to disarm them in advance. He in generally likes to present as small a target as possible and prefers to fly under the radar whenever he can.

My friend has occasional fits of paranoia about minor things (suddenly someone has an ulterior motive based on an offhand comment, or his computer must have a virus since it's running slow or acting strangely—never mind the 20 browser tabs he has open). Arguably, some of that might have to do less developed Ni rearing its head in his case... or some such.

At any rate, he describes suddenly becoming aware of all the stressors he's been repressing, then suddenly becoming negative, suspicious and lashing out. Not sure if that's typical of 6s, but I have seen them described as "at your feet or at your throat" (which I think is harsh, but has a grain of truth to it).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Not to throw a wrench into it or confuse the OP more, but 9s disintegrate at 6, and it's noteworthy if he only identifies with 6 during stress, as if it's "out of character" for him. Whereas 6s integrate at 9, and they can show some average 9 traits when average themselves. I see the OP as in the 3-6-9 triad, it's just seeing clearly his core type & which way he integrates/disintegrates....

Maybe I could be a 9. Thanks for mentioning. I guess I try to give less of a presence as possible. I can't stand arrogance; like a clear excessive streak is annoying in itself, and if that really stands out in people I could get het up. When I'm around others, I'm pretty observant, but not excessively observant. I like to keep track of what's happening so I'm not too confused (?) or out of it (?), I don't know why really. I do try to keep my clothing and hairstyle and everything at a constant, and not standoutish type. My brother would always go 'why don't you change your hair? your hair makes you look like a dork' and I would go 'the fact that I can keep my hair one way, shows that I don't get carried away with new trends, that come and go'.

When I see conflict I try to keep my composure, and I try to internally envision a naturally good path to go through and I try to go through with it. Not to say I can't get hostile, I can also get hostile, but usually up to the point if the other side is much more hostile. I only return what people conflict (?) unto me. :mellow: (Though this could just be INFP Fi values).

When other people get into an argument, I do what it takes to calm them down and see the situation rationally. It also kind of depends on how conflicting the conflict is, some conflicts are just stone cold and I can feel my heart beat louder and louder and then I just scream out things like "stop", etc. It's the worst when your family gets into a fight, then it's just painful and I don't care I would rather have it stop than anything. I don't know whether this is related to enneagram at all, but I usually base ideas of handling conflict around the "lower" ways I've reacted in the past, like I would always remember how "low" I have gone to stop a conflict (like if I was a kid and I started screaming or crying about it or something). This stuff is hard to explain, so hopefully you understand. And thanks so much btw! :) I actually thought no one was going to reply for a while.

This sounds more 9ish to me over all, but it's hard for me to pick out 9 or phobic 6 as your motivations don't come across as loud & clear. That in itself makes me lean towards 9. I think a 9 or phobic 6 might see the distinction better than I do. CP 6s are easier to type, IMO.

I know [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] & [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION] are INFP e9s, and I can't think of a phobic e6 Fi-dom offhand, but [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION] seems like a phobic 6.

The distaste for arrogance or any excessive streak is more 9ish, IMO. It seems to me like 9s desire a kind of egalitarian, merged mass with others, but a frustration of this can lead to feeling outcast, or succeeding in this can lead to giving up too much of themselves. They can have some serious lows because of this, and anger/depression can leak out even as they try to maintain feeling "okay". I think that's why there's some confusion with 4 or even 6.

I'm wondering why you make a point to be observant with others. 6s tend to keep an eye open for threats or allies, but you mention avoiding a kind of "confusion" or being "out of it" which sounds like the way 9s can have a half-sleep state (ie. their vice is "laziness", referring more to a psychological inertia than physical laziness).

Your reaction to conflict sounds more 9ish, but then a phobic 6 often looks diplomatic also. 9s seem to have a more universal motive of "keeping the peace", whereas from my viewpoint, 6s seem like they just want to save their own skin, which means they're not above throwing someone under the bus. 9s seem like they'll throw themselves under the bus if necessary, and I get that feeling from you.

Somehow I think 6s feel more of a presence too, as if others are watching them as much as they are watching others. Their hypervigilance is almost contagious, much as the 4s hyper self-awareness can be contagious, and the 9s laisser-faire attitude can be contagious.

I've read that 9s can feel invisible and have a conflict over that, not wanting to stand out but also resentment at being ignored (and I think this is shared with 4s, but for different reasons).

Last edited:

AverOblivious1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
^ Not to throw a wrench into it or confuse the OP more, but 9s disintegrate at 6, and it's noteworthy if he only identifies with 6 during stress, as if it's "out of character" for him. Whereas 6s integrate at 9, and they can show some average 9 traits when average themselves. I see the OP as in the 3-6-9 triad, it's just seeing clearly his core type & which way he integrates/disintegrates....

This sounds more 9ish to me over all, but it's hard for me to pick out 9 or phobic 6 as your motivations don't come across as loud & clear. That in itself makes me lean towards 9. I think a 9 or phobic 6 might see the distinction better than I do. CP 6s are easier to type, IMO.

I know [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] & [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION] are INFP e9s, and I can't think of a phobic e6 Fi-dom offhand, but [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION] seems like a phobic 6.

The distaste for arrogance or any excessive streak is more 9ish, IMO. It seems to me like 6s desire a kind of egalitarian, merged mass with others, but a frustration of this can lead to feeling outcast, or succeeding in this can lead to giving up too much of themselves. They can have some serious lows because of this, and anger/depression can leak out even as they try to maintain feeling "okay". I think that's why there's some confusion with 4 or even 6.

I'm wondering why you make a point to be observant with others. 6s tend to keep an eye open for threats or allies, but you mention avoiding a kind of "confusion" or being "out of it" which sounds like the way 9s can have a half-sleep state (ie. their vice is "laziness", referring more to a psychological inertia than physical laziness).

Your reaction to conflict sounds more 9ish, but then a phobic 6 often looks diplomatic also. 9s seem to have a more universal motive of "keeping the peace", whereas from my viewpoint, 6s seem like they just want to save their own skin, which means they're not above throwing someone under the bus. 9s seem like they'll throw themselves under the bus if necessary, and I get that feeling from you.

Somehow I think 6s feel more of a presence too, as if others are watching them as much as they are watching others. Their hypervigilance is almost contagious, much as the 4s hyper self-awareness can be contagious, and the 9s laisser-faire attitude can be contagious.

I've read that 9s can feel invisible and have a conflict over that, not wanting to stand out but also resentment at being ignored (and I think this is shared with 4s, but for different reasons).

this is really interesting. I did not think I would be a type 9. But I was just laughing my way through the enneagraminstitute description. It seemed like the sort of thing I was doing with enneagram itself. I was skimming through the post and not really paying attention to what was actually being said. I felt stuck, like stuck in a rut, when I actually had to troubleshoot the issues the text said. And I think that's more of a psychological inertia than a general fear or skepticism.

I would throw myself under a bus if it 'kept the peace'. But that would let a lot of people down, so I will not and couldn't think of it. The thing about type 6 is that if I'm not skeptical, I'm not always loyal. I could just feel alone. I can't really relate to envy/jealousy either as core fixations (even though I get the feeling of shame very often). I get what you mean about type sixes and watching others. That's not really a fixation of mine. Other people can have motives, it's their right to. It's just that if their motives were bad, things will be bad, and that is kinda scary, but it's not usually on the tip of my nose. The thing with me is that, sometimes I don't doubt things enough.

9s are pretty complacent so I farred away from it for a while. I thought I was a type 1 for a while as well. So I'm guessing I'm leaning towards 9w1. The complacency is something it takes a while to notice in me, but I think it is there.

I especially could relate to the separation of father-mother figures to the separation of inner peace. I can relate to the concept of inner and outer peace, and that's really interesting if that is my core. The instance where I chased those older figures around with a pole or something for threatening to burn down my car, may have been the same type of translation.

To be honest, one thing that set me a bit off track was the contagious thing you said, I would say my general fearful nature is pretty contagious and that can upset people, (when I'm stressed or put on the spot I mean).I don't think I set much of a real presence for anyone to get infected with anything... but is that what it means by feeling invisible, etc?