• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type a friend who won't take a type test!

Becks

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have a good friend who just hates taking tests of any kind. I'd love to type him, but I can't figure him out so I think it's best to ask around.

He's primarily worked in IT for the past ten years, and he's really good at working on cars/motorcyles etc. He loves hot rods and motorcycles. He's got a very charming personality - all the girls love him immediately. He has very little follow through with any of them, but once he finds one he likes, he's all in. He falls in love quickly with all the wrong women - meaning there are some things very central to his life that he wants, and he dates women that want none of those things.

He's terrible with schedules, and responding to texts and emails is always hit or miss. Leave a voice mail and he may or may not call you back. He likes to help people, but it will always be on the fly. He loves movies, snow and water skiing, and is a social butterfly, despite his flakiness. He generally thinks more highly of people than he lets on, and only recently has been living more honestly by communicating his values to his friends. He's a good listener.

He's also terrible with money and is undisciplined in most everything, except whatever his latest obsession is. ADD, addicted to caffeine and nicotine. Spiritual, and has some set moral boundaries he won't cross, but is not religious in the sense that he doesn't practice his religion faithfully. He believes strongly, but isn't a regular participant in many religious activities, doesn't study his religion, etc. Accepts people for who they are and lives very much in the moment, so much so that he is often blind-sided by the consequences of his actions and ends up with lots of messes to clean up. If I want to hang out with him I have to get in touch with him the day I want to hang out, because if I get in touch any earlier he will forget and double-book himself.

Thoughts?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
xSTP sx/so or so/sx

surfing_usa_timez

MBTI Type
EwwP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like a rad dude. Exxx. What would you say is your friends main attitude towards life? I don't think this is a huge tell-tale but... What's your friends general appearance and main facial expressions?

Becks

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sounds like a rad dude. Exxx. What would you say is your friends main attitude towards life? I don't think this is a huge tell-tale but... What's your friends general appearance and main facial expressions?

He's the happy-go lucky sort, taking things as they come. He smiles a lot, despite his chaotic life (chaotic because the guy cannot plan anything). The chaos never seems to get to him because he believes things will just work out somehow. He's clean cut, exercises but isn't ripped. Wears t-shirts, jeans and all-stars almost all of the time, but cleans up well if he's interested in a woman.

He does not own a boston fern. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
vacillating between the two Se doms- I think estp

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm thinking more ESFP than ESTP. The stuff about not wanting to cross certain moral boundaries, being a strong believer even though not attending church regularly seem suggestive of auxilary Fi. Also there are things that point to F more than T such as accepting people for who they are, good listener, and falling in love quickly with people.

ESTP would be my second guess though. Clearly an SP type and probably an extravert.

Regarding enneagram, I think type 7. I'm leaning slightly toward 6 wing but 8 wing could work. I agree with skylights on variant: Sx/so or so/sx.

surfing_usa_timez

MBTI Type
EwwP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm... I'm thinking more ExxP. He sounds super similar to a good buddy of mine who is uber ADD, messy & disorganized to the fullest. The only difference between your friend and my friend is the idea that your friend sounds as though he actually has real interests, haha. My buddy literally works + drinks + partys, period. It's actually pretty hilarious IMO, haha. Regardless of the fact that my friend basically does nothing he's a good dude & I'm pretty sure he is ExFP or ISFJ, not 100 percent sure. Anyways, your friend seems ExxP to me @ this point in time. I have a couple semi un-serious questions for you. Does your friend have facial hair, facial piercings or tattoos? Do you think your friend would be interested in learning to drive stunt cars for a living? Does he genuinely enjoy the company of most people? What's his favorite sport? What's his height and weight? 1-10 (1 being not @ all 10 being yes) How set is your friend in his way of living? What happens during your friends average day? What happens during your friends average weekend? I think these questions will aid in the investigation AKA give me a better beat on this dude, haha.

Becks

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does your friend have facial hair, facial piercings or tattoos? Do you think your friend would be interested in learning to drive stunt cars for a living? Does he genuinely enjoy the company of most people? What's his favorite sport? What's his height and weight? 1-10 (1 being not @ all 10 being yes) How set is your friend in his way of living? What happens during your friends average day? What happens during your friends average weekend? I think these questions will aid in the investigation AKA give me a better beat on this dude, haha.

No facial hair, piercings or tattoos. I bet he would love to drive stunt cars for a living - he used to do dirt bike stuff with ramps etc. He seems to enjoy the company of most people although he does have his favorites. He's not into sports really at all, but he likes target shooting, deep sea fishing, and water sports like skiing and riding jet-skis, etc.

Height is 6', weight is probably 180-190? Set in his way of living - yes if you mean he continues to fly by the seat of his pants. But he's trying to straighten some things out that have gone awry as the result of poor planning, like his finances, etc. Average day? He's up, drinking coffee right out of bed, goes to work, comes home and then anything can happen - he can work on his project car, or he may go out with friends, or surf the web (he likes reddit), or watch tv, or who knows. He never plans his evenings unless there's a birthday to be celebrated or something important like that in the life of his family or friends.

Weekend? Good grief, could be anything. He's partied late, he's worked on cars, he's gone on trips, he's wrecked his bike, he's watched movie marathons - whatever suits his fancy at the moment. There's no predictability as far as I can tell.

Thanks for helping out with this - he's a good friend but a slight enigma.

surfing_usa_timez

MBTI Type
EwwP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most certainly an ES. He seems more F than T to me. The idea that he has "his favorites " seems more F (subjective). Does your friend openly except new people into his life due to objective circumstances? or does he reject new people into his life due to subjective circumstances? Is your friend more friendly when he meets new people or is he more standoffish and cold? He seems more P than J. He most certainly seems to enjoy an open scudeule which is a dead ringer for a P. He does however seem to have a slightly SJ vibe due the fact that ESFP's can sometimes seem like ESFJ's and vise vera. Is your friend somewhat judgemental & close minded in his way of seeing the world? Or is your friend more tolerant & careless? Does your friend value tradition? or does your friend withstand tradition? I think so far I would say ESxP. I'm leaning towards ESFP. IMO, the fellow seems too chaotic & scattered to be ESTP.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Has to be a P. Probably an SP ... maybe ISTP?
The istp's I know also HATE personality tests of any kind :)

Becks

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[ Does your friend openly except new people into his life due to objective circumstances? or does he reject new people into his life due to subjective circumstances? Is your friend more friendly when he meets new people or is he more standoffish and cold? He seems more P than J. He most certainly seems to enjoy an open scudeule which is a dead ringer for a P. He does however seem to have a slightly SJ vibe due the fact that ESFP's can sometimes seem like ESFJ's and vise vera. Is your friend somewhat judgemental & close minded in his way of seeing the world? Or is your friend more tolerant & careless? Does your friend value tradition? or does your friend withstand tradition?.[/QUOTE]

If he can have fun with people, they are in his life. If they bore him, he will not go out of his way to include them in anything, but he won't hate them or reject them. He's kinda standoffish and cold when he first meets people but warms up pretty quickly once he gets to know them a little. He's a mix of judgmental & closed-minded plus tolerant & careless. What I mean by that is that he is willing to listen to people and consider things from a different perspective, but he doesn't go out of his way to broaden his horizons. He's not a good student and doesn't seem to have time for book-learning, although he's great with hands-on learning and can figure stuff out. As for tradition, he values traditions like family traditions, but he's not so closed off to new ideas that he won't flex. Thanks for asking all these questions and taking the time to help me figure him out. He's a great person and I'd like to see him be successful. I think having a better idea of how he functions could help me encourage him in specific areas.
[MENTION=17702]KatharineML[/MENTION] - He hates ALL tests. He associates them with school, which he also hates. I tried to use words like "assessment" and "indicator" and he still said it sounded too academic for him.

Becks

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[ Does your friend openly except new people into his life due to objective circumstances? or does he reject new people into his life due to subjective circumstances? Is your friend more friendly when he meets new people or is he more standoffish and cold? He seems more P than J. He most certainly seems to enjoy an open scudeule which is a dead ringer for a P. He does however seem to have a slightly SJ vibe due the fact that ESFP's can sometimes seem like ESFJ's and vise vera. Is your friend somewhat judgemental & close minded in his way of seeing the world? Or is your friend more tolerant & careless? Does your friend value tradition? or does your friend withstand tradition?.[/QUOTE]

If he can have fun with people, they are in his life. If they bore him, he will not go out of his way to include them in anything, but he won't hate them or reject them. He's kinda standoffish and cold when he first meets people but warms up pretty quickly once he gets to know them a little. He's a mix of judgmental & closed-minded plus tolerant & careless. What I mean by that is that he is willing to listen to people and consider things from a different perspective, but he doesn't go out of his way to broaden his horizons. He's not a good student and doesn't seem to have time for book-learning, although he's great with hands-on learning and can figure stuff out. As for tradition, he values traditions like family traditions, but he's not so closed off to new ideas that he won't flex. Thanks for asking all these questions and taking the time to help me figure him out. He's a great person and I'd like to see him be successful. I think having a better idea of how he functions could help me encourage him in specific areas.
[MENTION=17702]KatharineML[/MENTION] - He hates ALL tests. He associates them with school, which he also hates. I tried to use words like "assessment" and "indicator" and he still said it sounded too academic for him.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
He sounds very much like the ISTP I know ... also a great person. They need you to gently prod them when they are being lazy (lazy thinking, lazy opinions, lazy in general) but not, NEVER to be pushy. They change in their own time. They do hear critique, more than they let on, and they do care, more than they let on. They definitely don't learn via books but hands on. They are much deeper in their thoughts than they might express with their words. Mine has started writing a blog and she says things better than I can, and I consider myself a writer! She is very fair, calm, honest. So yeah, they can stretch themselves when they care enough. She is the one everyone goes to when they want an honest opinion, or someone calm and not too intense to be with. She cares on the inside.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The descriptions given point straight to SP and Se-dom. The auxiliary will always be somewhat subdued, but there are hints of Fi.