• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How about Patrick Jane, from The Mentalist? :)

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Have y'all seen that show? If you have, wonderful! If not...GO WATCH IT. NOW!! Did you watch it yet? Okay, good - and no cheating and just looking at excerpts on Youtube! (Unless you find really GOOD excerpts, I suppose...)

I've only found a few threads talking about Pat Jane, which is a shame because his personality is SO engaging! He interacts with almost everyone he can in an attentive and enthusiastic manner, can see right into people and their feelings, relates to them like second-nature and is always empathetic. But in the end, he always marches to the beat of his own drum, doesn't give a second thought to rules, is almost scathingly blunt and has a quirky, even vain aura about him.

What do you think his type would be, hmm?

Acerbusvenator

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have y'all seen that show? If you have, wonderful! If not...GO WATCH IT. NOW!! Did you watch it yet? Okay, good - and no cheating and just looking at excerpts on Youtube! (Unless you find really GOOD excerpts, I suppose...)

I've only found a few threads talking about Pat Jane, which is a shame because his personality is SO engaging! He interacts with almost everyone he can in an attentive and enthusiastic manner, can see right into people and their feelings, relates to them like second-nature and is always empathetic. But in the end, he always marches to the beat of his own drum, doesn't give a second thought to rules, is almost scathingly blunt and has a quirky, even vain aura about him.

What do you think his type would be, hmm?
I always saw him as an INTJ. I mean he's nice at times, but then he can just analyze people to submission.
He also keeps telling people why he knows what he knows which is quite much Te that needs to think out loud. Seems to have more interest in connections however rather than the empirical evidence so I'd say Te supporting Ni.

Was a while since I saw the show tho and I've been thinking of watching it from the start again for a while now.

R

Riva

I always saw him as an INTJ. I mean he's nice at times, but then he can just analyze people to submission.
He also keeps telling people why he knows what he knows which is quite much Te that needs to think out loud. Seems to have more interest in connections however rather than the empirical evidence so I'd say Te supporting Ni.

Was a while since I saw the show tho and I've been thinking of watching it from the start again for a while now.

Yes Ni dom for sure but INFJ not INTJ. I initially thought ENFP but later dismissed it. I have my reasons for both. I'll elaborate later.

*Goes to sleep*

Strange avatar for an INTJ by the way. Add to it, strange avatar for an 6w5 INTJ. 6w5s the types that are in your face and never back off from what I have noticed. My enneagram knowledge is limited it should be noted.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
I don't see where he could be an introvert, though. When in public his first thought is always to engage with people, openly and directly! Rather than reserved and only interacting when he must, he's energized by it, as though he'd be restless without that interaction. Even when he was in prison for example, rather than keeping to himself the first thing he did was to loudly introduce himself to all his fellow inmates and begin chatting with them - even though he had no need to do so for the case!

He is analytical, but couldn't this reflect Ni supporting Fe just as easily? Or conversely, Ne seeking ideas through interaction?

R

Riva

I don't see where he could be an introvert, though. When in public his first thought is always to engage with people, openly and directly! Rather than reserved and only interacting when he must, he's energized by it, as though he'd be restless without that interaction. Even when he was in prison for example, rather than keeping to himself the first thing he did was to loudly introduce himself to all his fellow inmates and begin chatting with them - even though he had no need to do so for the case!

That probably is Fe and So.

He is analytical, but couldn't this reflect Ni supporting Fe just as easily? Or conversely, Ne seeking ideas through interaction?

ENFJ is a good suggestion by the way. Initially I thought Ne myself but later changed my mind. He has that Ni (NJ) 'plan things ahead step by step' thing going on.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Alright, but if we was an ENFJ...wouldn't he be more rule-oriented, careful what he says to people, etc. because of that Fe nagging at him to conform and align himself to outside feelings and values - suggesting more ENFP traits? Or am I stereotyping there, are ENFJs often brashly outspoken and iconoclastic in that way that can almost appear uncaring or devil-may-care as well?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on how strong his Ni ruled him. If his Fe and Ni were fairly close, then he might lean more to caring about what he perceived as the truth than some Fe agenda. If his Fe was quite a bit higher, then yeah, I think they'd be more careful, or care more, about what others thought.

Enneagram would play a role as well.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
That's a good point, I often overlook the subtypes and relative primary-auxiliary dominance!

So in the same vein, do you suspect Ne-Fi with strong Fi subtype would also be likely, or do you think his manner of interaction implies Fe in any case?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I always thought he was a text book ENTP :shrug:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I always thought ENTP. As with House, the show is modelled after Sherlock Holmes and I think there are parallels between all three characters: brilliant in their field, have learned how to get those they need to work with them even though they break all the rules and don't let others in on what is going on, very private people in many respects, arrogant, have surprising array of unexpected talents, resourceful and innovative, like to do things with a bit of flair, people either love them or hate them but don't feel ambivalent about them, a bit self-destructive and need someone to save them, even while they will use their most loyal friends over and over again... I don't see a lot that strikes me as NFJish about him.

I love the show and I like Jane's character especially (plus he's just nice to look at and has good taste in clothes and cars).