• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFJ or ISFP?

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Would anyone know the difference? My younger sister always tests as ISFJ, but we're convinced she is an ISFP. What are some key differences? She is a hardcore E9 sp/sx btw if that helps. The wing is hard to tell.

-She paints
-Kind of materialistic
-Likes to go to bed early and wake up early
-Is very sweet and charming, or at least appears to be. She really doesn't care too much for other people, besides me and her boyfriend.
-She has had serious anger issues in the past but she's pretty chill now.
-She isn't exactly a neat freak like most of the ISFJs I know, but she is much tidier than I.
-She tends to think I am a little too reckless and nonchalant.
-She is kind of a know-it-all when she thinks she knows something. For example, she got her drivers license a few months ago, and now she thinks she can drive better than my mom who has been driving for twenty five years...
-She has much more self control than I do.
-Easily envious of girls that rival her in cuteness.
-A bit on the lazy side, but always on time for work and stuff, and in fact is somewhat obsessed with punctuality.
-The main reason I think she is an ISFP is because I could buy that we have all the same functions, and I am an ESFP. We are very similar at a glance.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The biggest differences involve spontaneity and her willingness/happiness with improvising plans vs. what was expected. Not compared to yourself, since an ESFP is likely to be even more like that than an ISFP, but compared to an average person in her social group.

Also an ISFJ will probably give off more of a "serious" air whereas an ISFP will seem more "carefree", in general. But again, that's relative to the normal population, not relative to an ESFP!

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The biggest differences involve spontaneity and her willingness/happiness with improvising plans vs. what was expected. Not compared to yourself, since an ESFP is likely to be even more like that than an ISFP, but compared to an average person in her social group.

Also an ISFJ will probably give off more of a "serious" air whereas an ISFP will seem more "carefree", in general. But again, that's relative to the normal population, not relative to an ESFP!

Thank you! I think that being such a hardcore 9 makes her difficult to type in MBTI. She never got into MBTI because she couldn't relate to any of the descriptions, but when I introduced her to the enneagram, she related strongly to 9, simply because she doesn't really DO anything in particular. XD She just sees it as being totally neutral. She never relates to anything that suggests she might have a weakness or character flaw. I'm not sure if that is because she's arrogant or if that's legit, but I don't know anyone quite like her that just doesn't seem to have any weaknesses in particular, especially compared to me.

She is basically immune to anxiety, temptation and over thinking, huge problems for me, and as far as I know, most human beings...The only flaws she seems to have are like envy and anger and greed. Otherwise, nada. She doesn't usually care what other people think about her. She doesn't seem like an Fe user to me, though I believe she could be an Si user. She really doesn't seem like that strong of a feeler to me, which almost makes me doubt that she is a dom feeler, but her thinking is even weaker, though I'm not sure Te would be her inferior, but it's possible. I also am not sure Ne would be her inferior.

She is not particularly sponteneous OR planned. She doesn't do much of anything. She is very passive and receptive for the most part. ISFJs seem like they should be more controlling.

Nicki

Retired
She seems more like an ISFP. IxFPs might not look like feelers at first since their feeling function is introverted.

W

WALMART

I think of ISFP's as more self-serving than ISFJ's. ISFJ's are likely the type to seek codependent relationships n shit, not saying ISFP's don't engage in relationships.

Other than that... I really don't know. Toss up for me.

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think of ISFP's as more self-serving than ISFJ's. ISFJ's are likely the type to seek codependent relationships n shit, not saying ISFP's don't engage in relationships.

Other than that... I really don't know. Toss up for me.

That is one of the main reasons I question her being an ISFJ. I can't see her being an Fe user. My best friend who is a definite ISFJ is fairly self serving as well, but definitely more co-dependant and values other peoples' opinions more. My sister doesn't care much what other people think and usually avoids them if possible. My ISFJ friend, despite being an introvert and more shy, places much more value in interpersonal connection.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
always on time for work and stuff, and in fact is somewhat obsessed with punctuality.

How is that even remotely ISFP? The only SPs I know who are super punctual are the ones who had drill instructor and/or psychotic SJ parents.

I wouldn't use "self serving" to describe any type because that's more of a personality trait than a type trait.

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How is that even remotely ISFP? The only SPs I know who are super punctual are the ones who had drill instructor and/or psychotic SJ parents.

I wouldn't use "self serving" to describe any type because that's more of a personality trait than a type trait.

If going by Keirsey, she doesn't really fit SP or SJ much. :/ she's so neutral. On the J/P scale (which I adamantly avoid, preferring to type by function) she is probably just slightly more of a J, but she is damn close to the line. I suppose I'm really trying to figure out if she is an Si or Fi dom.

And I don't think it's impossible for an ISFP to care about being on time. I'm an ESFP and I hate being late for work, but in my personal life I couldn't care less. At work I probably don't seem like much of a "P". I work hard at work, don't do shit otherwise. XD

As for being self serving...I agree to an extent, but I think it is safe to say Fe users are more concerned about others and more outwardly focused than Fi users, even if introverted.

As you can see, I'm pretty convinced she is an ISFP, but you have good points, and she always tests as an ISFJ, if narrowly.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
And I don't think it's impossible for an ISFP to care about being on time. I'm an ESFP and I hate being late for work, but in my personal life I couldn't care less.

I hate being closed off and socially withdrawn, especially when interacting with new people is of benefit to me, but I am an INTJ and shit just happens that way. So what I'm trying to say is, even though you hate being late for work, I bet that happens anyway because ESFPs aren't very schedule oriented.

-She paints

Generally an ISFP past time, although there are plenty of "artsy" ISFJs, especially if they went to school for it.

-Kind of materialistic

equally applicable to either one

-Likes to go to bed early and wake up early

Sounds like a scheduled behavior, so more ISFJ

-Is very sweet and charming, or at least appears to be. She really doesn't care too much for other people, besides me and her boyfriend.

What you are describing here is Introverted (small group of intimately close people) and Feeler (outwardly sweet and charming), so either one

-She has had serious anger issues in the past but she's pretty chill now.

Personality trait, not a type trait

-She isn't exactly a neat freak like most of the ISFJs I know, but she is much tidier than I.

STJs tend to a lot more tidier than SFJs. Actually, unhealthy ISFJs are prone to hoarding, which is the opposite of being a "neat freak".

-She tends to think I am a little too reckless and nonchalant.

Sounds like "Judging" at work -- ISFJ

-She is kind of a know-it-all when she thinks she knows something. For example, she got her drivers license a few months ago, and now she thinks she can drive better than my mom who has been driving for twenty five years...

Sounds more like a display of confidence -- more of a personality trait than a type trait

-She has much more self control than I do.

Well you're ESFP, pretty much anyone has more self control than ESFPs, if since you said "much more", then it's ISFJ

-Easily envious of girls that rival her in cuteness.

Personality trait, not a type trait

-A bit on the lazy side, but always on time for work and stuff, and in fact is somewhat obsessed with punctuality.

And I've already mentioned punctuality as a distinctly J trait