• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

5, 6, or 9?

SuchIrony's Enneagram Type

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I self-typed as 5 but I have alot ofcharacteristics of 6 and 9 as well. Some people have said they see me as moreof a 6 or a 9 than a 5.

I'm now reconsidering my enneagram type and have posted a poll.

I went to Enneagram Institute.com and read the summary descriptons of the typesand I identify with all three of them! Maybe 5 and 6 a bit more.

Here's what fits/doesn't fit with these three types:

TYPE 5

Fives are alert,insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developingcomplex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can alsobecome preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They becomedetached, yet high-strung and intense.

Yes, all very true of me.

They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. Attheir Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see theworld in an entirely new way.

I'm not sure I'm all that eccentric and I don't think I have issues withnihilism. I do need alot of alone time, but I'm not sure I'm isolated to thepoint that it's a problem.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
Enneagram Five with a Four-Wing: "The Iconoclast"
Enneagram Five with a Six-Wing: "The Problem Solver"

I very much identify with the basic fears and desires of this type. I think I'm more of a problem solver than an iconoclast but I do relate to some of the5w4 description.

Key Motivations: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, tohave everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats fromthe environment.

Yes to all of this.

The Meaning of the Arrows (in brief)
When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), detached Fivessuddenly become hyperactive and scattered at Seven. However, when moving intheir Direction of Integration (growth), avaricious, detached Fives become moreself-confident and decisive, like healthy Eights.

Yes, I do think I become more hyperactive and scattered under stress, but inmy direction of growth, I also think I acquire some of the more positive traitsof sevens, like being full of ideas and energy and optimism (but that could bethe self-confidence and decisiveness of the 8. I'm not really sure.)

TYPE 6
The committed,security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, andtrustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems andfoster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—runningon stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, butalso reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems withself-doubt and suspicion. At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant,courageously championing themselves and others.

Almost all of this fits me very well. The only part that doesn't is therebelliousness and defiance, which I think is more common in counterphobic 6's.If I'm a 6, I'm more phobic.

Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: Tohave security and support
Enneagram Six with a Five-Wing: "The Defender"
Enneagram Six with a Seven-Wing: "The Buddy"

Once again I very much relate to the basic fear and desire. I haven't reallystudied the wings of 6 much but I'd say the 5 wing probably fits a littlebetter if I'm that type.

KeyMotivations: Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to havecertitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, tofight against anxiety and insecurity.

I don't really do the 'testing' thing. Other than that, all of thisdefinitely fits me.

TheMeaning of the Arrows (in brief)
When moving intheir Direction of Disintegration (stress), dutiful Sixes suddenly becomecompetitive and arrogant at Three. However, when moving in their Direction ofIntegration (growth), fearful, pessimistic Sixes become more relaxed andoptimistic, like healthy Nine.

I don't think I really get arrogant but I guess I get competitive in thesense of comparing myself to others, thinking that others are more successfuland competent than I am.

TYPE 9

Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative,optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with othersto keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict,but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizinganything upsetting.

Most of this fits, especially thepart about everything wanting to go smoothly. I don’t think I minimize things that are upsetting though. If anything, I kind of do the opposite,over-complexifying problems. I also don’tdeny problems and expect them to just go away on their own. I maylook passive to others, but often on the inside, I’m doing a lot of thinking inmy head about how to best attack the problem. I think this part is more 5 like.

They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness. At theirBest: indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together andheal conflicts.

I can have a bit of a lazy streakat times but I don’t think inertia is one of the major problems I face. I don’t see myself as being overly stubborneither. Maybe about a few things but Idon’t think I’m any more or less stubborn than the average person. My parents would disagree about thatthough. I also don’t see myself assomeone who is known for bringing people together and healing conflicts. I do avoid conflicts and I try hard to getalong with most people but I’m not sure how to bring people together toaccomplish that. I usually leave thatsort of thing to someone else.

Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"
Enneagram Nine with an Eight-Wing: "The Referee"
Enneagram Nine with a One-Wing: "The Dreamer"

I sort of relate to the basicfear but it depends on the context. Iguess you could say in a way I do fear loss. But I think it’s almost more 6 like. I fear losing my job, my health, etc. In other words, loss of security. I don’t really fear separation much. I don’t feel like my family or those close to me are suddenly going toabandon me and even if I lost family members, I’m sure I could cope with beingon my own. The basic desire on the otherhand. That’s the essence of who Iam. I need my own peace of mind more than anything else. With peace of mind, any other problem you have is irrelevant.

As far as wings go, I think I’dbe more of a 1 wing since I relate very little to 8 descriptions. I suppose I could see a little bit of thereferee in me though.

Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoidconflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever wouldupset or disturb them.

Yes, I very much relate to all ofthese.

The Meaning of the Arrows (in brief)
When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), complacentNines suddenly become anxious and worried at Six. However, when moving in theirDirection of Integration (growth), slothful, self-neglecting Nines become moreself-developing and energetic, like healthy Threes.

Yes, this is all true for me.

COLORATURA

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It sounds to me like you are a 5w6. I am a 5w4 & closely relate to both profiles. However, I more so relate to 5, and most people whom relate to 5 also. However, when I first tested, my 2nd highest score was 9. I think that 5's are most likely something close to my MBTI type, INTP. I think 9's are probably closest to INFP. I think INTP's in a way ARE a version of INFP's. Only we value logic, which is our own subjective logic.

The last part was sort-of a tangent, but ask yourself this; do I value logic(5), security(6), or peace(9) most?

G

Glycerine

Are you more externally based? Even if they are introverted, I have noticed 6s tend to come off fairly warm, friendly, and engaged in other people. 5s tend to come off a bit more closed off and detached. I see 6s more as loyal, friendly dogs and 5s more as cats. I admit that is a big generalization.

5s and 6s are highly security oriented and tend to be anxious.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
5s are security oriented and anxious?

Well then hell I know based on that I'm not a 5.

Such Irony could be a 5 though.

G

Glycerine

Yes. In a way, for 5s, the mind protects them from outside intrusions. 7s also tend to anxious but they react in a different way.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're probably either 5w6 or 6w5, but I'm really not sure which...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you more externally based? Even if they are introverted, I have noticed 6s tend to come off fairly warm, friendly, and engaged in other people. 5s tend to come off a bit more closed off and detached. I see 6s more as loyal, friendly dogs and 5s more as cats. I admit that is a big generalization.

5s and 6s are highly security oriented and tend to be anxious.

I think by that description I'm a little more 5 than 6.

The last part was sort-of a tangent, but ask yourself this; do I value logic(5), security(6), or peace(9) most?

Security and peace kind of go hand in hand for me. I value both over logic.

So I'm confused now.

COLORATURA

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sounds like you need to look at the actual definition of each of those. Security & peace may go hand in hand, but they aren't the same...
I value logic, because it brings me security & peace. :) Sorry, I am going off subject again...
Here's a little food for thought, though. If you were a 6w5, you would be moving towards growth if moving towards 9. Anyway, I think more than anything you just need to realistically pay attention to your own behavior, and try to understand the miscellaneous distinct variances that separate the types. It took me a long time to completely see myself for who I am, but once I did, it helped me tremendously.

This is from the Enneagram's website:

"If you’re still not sure about your test scores, try the following steps:
Identify your three highest scores—one is most probably your basic type.
Consider your family culture, the environment you grew up in as a child—does one of these types seem to reflect that basic orientation and perspective? If so, that is part of you, but not necessarily your primary type.
Look at the directions of integration (security) and disintegration (stress) related to these three highest scores. If there are high scores in one of these directions, this is an indication that the type related to this direction may be your basic type.
Look at the wings related to each of your three highest scores. Often, but not always, this will also be a high score.
Close Calls between all nine types can be explained in a variety of ways: a lot of spiritual/therapeutic/self-development work, a lack of self-understanding, a common mistyping of certain types.
Common misidentifications for all 9 types can be found here, and in our book Understanding the Enneagram (Houghton Mifflin, 2000), Chapter 6, p. 189-244.
To distinguish between the 9 types, see the Compatibility Combinations. For example, if you can't decide between Type 2 and 9, click on the 2/9 combination and see which one fits better.
For further defining distinctions between the types, you may wish to purchase our Levels of Development Chart #4 for $5.
Ultimately, you are the only one who can decide what your basic type is. When you read the description of your own personality type, you will know it. You may feel chills run down your spine, or an uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach. This will be your subconscious telling you that something is hitting home (from Personality Types, p. 42)."

"The personality type that most frequently encounters this difficulty is type Nine. Nines have problems seeing themselves because their sense of self is relatively undefined. They have developed their capacity to be unselfconscious and receptive to others and therefore tend to see themselves in all of the types and in none very strongly. Moreover, there is also a tendency for female Nines to misidentify themselves as Twos and for male Nines to misidentify themselves as Fives; see Understanding the Enneagram (revised edition, 2000) for comparisons between these types."

Good luck! :)

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I say more five than nine. Dunno about the six.

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
6w5

Your answers sound more like a 5...But the way you answer the questions sounds more like a six. I kind of feel like if you were a 5 you'd be a little more decisive. 6s seem like they're often confused about what they are and what they want. You seem very confused about yourself in general. XD 6s are very contradictory. That seems to fit you well. Especially because you said you value security and peace over knowledge.